Author Topic: Any updates for the Wasp?  (Read 51388 times)

Luciora

• Major
Re: Any updates for the Wasp?
« Reply #60 on: 22 March 2017, 23:36:47 »
I don't think those are small lasers, but the hip mounted SRM2.  it even has the groove to fit the ridge.

Wolf Reaper

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Malo Mori Quam Foedari - Death Before Dishonor
« Reply #61 on: 22 March 2017, 23:42:06 »
I don't think those are small lasers, but the hip mounted SRM2.  it even has the groove to fit the ridge.

You are probably right, but they shall be small lasers for me. :)
Star Colonel Vladik Ward
318th Wolf Striker Cluster
"The Blood Pack"

Sic Vis Pacem Parabellum  -"Those who seek peace, prepare for war."
"Grant me stillness and serenity as my enemies pound and howl." -Incantation against bombardment

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #62 on: 23 March 2017, 03:08:55 »
As for sculpting your own, I believe you have posted at least two threads on the matter and in both, you were given solid recommendations on how to get started.  I highly recommend you start a mini, something that hasn't been done before, and make a master of it.  When you feel it is perfect, send an email with photos to IWM and they will evaluate it.  If you are having trouble contacting IWM, talk to Speck, he is the representative around here for IWM.

That´s is correct and is owed to the fact that i want precise information on standards/specification before I start investing time and money before starting such a task.
In this thread I asked about redoing the WASP (which already seems to be done by another artist), so I wanted to know if it´s still okay to have a second go on that or if there are legal agreements which I need to consider/respect. I don´t want to mess with legal agreements or snub artists just because I didn´t inform myself properly, that´s why I ask that much.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: 23 March 2017, 07:31:36 »
It's not so much legal agreements as a limit on what's said publicly, and of profitability. I can say with a good deal of certainty that IWM won't be interested in re-doing a mini that just came out, and that the Wasp is the size it is because TPTB said so. As Stinger has said, aim to do something that has not been done - there are a number of designs in TRO:Prototypes for example - to work on your skills. Put it this way: if you wanted a job with Company X, would you apply and demonstrate your capability, or would you barge into their office, tell them their product is crap and that you can do it better? Do you think the latter method will allow you to integrate with the current workforce if you were given a job with Company X?

In my experience with CSO, it's more often not a lack of skill or potential that holds people back. It's ego. What happens to your grand designs on revolutionizing IWM's product line when your first (and second, and third....) effort is rejected? What about when you're asked to re-work a piece you've done that's perfect to you to change proportions, details, and even scale? How about when your print is crap and you've got to back-track for hours to find the source of the problem, or re-do it completely? A beautiful 1st Ghost Regiment mini doesn't happen because you sit down with a picture of a tattoo you like and a paint brush, it happens because of the thousands of hours of painting you've done before then. Show that you're willing to work and take direction. And to be let down. Even as a sculptor for IWM, you don't get to just pick and choose which pieces you get to do and apply your own vision to them.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 23 March 2017, 09:02:52 »
@Psycho: advice taken. But please note that I nowhere wrote that I am better than others, in fact I wrote the opposite. Yet you see that there are others who are not quite happy with how the Wasp came out. So thank you for the infos and I´m totally with you on that "ego" note. That´s always a thing with people who create stuff ;D

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #65 on: 23 March 2017, 11:43:27 »
That´s always a thing with people who create stuff.

It's much more complicated than this. Sometimes people use their ego as a shield. Sometimes ego is nothing more than a personification of others. But, it's a deep topic. And, I'm sure people didn't come to this thread to discuss psychology and the human condition. The point I would like to make however is; many creative types within the community are down-to-earth, excellent people. And quite fun to work with.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2017, 11:45:01 by IAMCLANWOLF »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 23 March 2017, 12:18:20 »
Overall,  i like it.  Probably going to get several more for the variants and an extra for the Crescent Hawk's version as well.  Do I think its a little bulky?   Sure,  but I  can live with it.   

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 23 March 2017, 16:25:39 »
Some more for reference...

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #68 on: 23 March 2017, 16:36:21 »
It does look a lot better from the front-angle in the first picture.

Would love to see it painted, because the metallic color can make all the details disappear.

(I do think it could be a bit skinnier, but whatchagonnado)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #69 on: 23 March 2017, 16:59:47 »
Having the Shadow Hawk (classic) there as reference on scale helps.  I do think it's too big but i guess the picture made it what is.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #70 on: 23 March 2017, 17:34:17 »
Yeah, that's still a bit beefy, but having the old Unseen Wasp mini next to it helps for comparison. It's not as bad as it looked in thr first pics, and while size wise it looks more Valkyrie to me, it's workable. I prefer the Primitive (or Unseen) versions, but that's just me.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 23 March 2017, 18:10:56 »
lmfao it looks like it has a jock strap on [AAAH] [face palm]

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: 23 March 2017, 19:58:57 »
I would like to defend the new Wasp.  I got mine in tonight and assembled it after seeing this thread.

I like it.  It's faithful to the art and has plenty of detail.  The pic below is from a cell phone and doesn't do it justice.  Is it beefier than older lights?  Yes.  But the trend with IWM has been beefier minis of late which I prefer anyway.  They are easier to mod and paint.

See it below stacked next to a 3025 Wasp and a reSeen Stinger.

Mike
« Last Edit: 25 March 2017, 20:06:02 by The Wayfarer »
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #73 on: 23 March 2017, 22:34:34 »
Some more for reference...

Please note, also for reference, that the Shadow Hawk in this image is unbased while the Wasp is based on built-up green stuff.  It's shorter than this picture makes it look.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #74 on: 24 March 2017, 06:22:57 »
The Thor II was my first mini, so it is a little rough around the edges.

So you did the Thor II but not the other minis? I'm asking because the Thor II looks stellar in comparison to the other two, in fact, it's almost on the same quality level as the custom-made MWO minis. Now that mini done in plastic or resin, and I'd buy it without a second thought.

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 24 March 2017, 17:26:44 »
I picked up a lance worth for now, i'll be making a WSP-1A. WSP-1D, WSP-1K and WSP-1L.  My work around for the 1L was to take the extra launcher/laser from the K kit, and used these to replace the medium laser on the right arm.

ED: I see now that the D version adds two small lasers, so I tacked on the last "missile" pod to that unit.

« Last Edit: 26 March 2017, 16:31:32 by Hayden. »
Hayden

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 24 March 2017, 22:32:12 »
Sounds like a good idea O0

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 25 March 2017, 11:18:40 »
Great idea!

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #78 on: 26 March 2017, 10:12:22 »
You are probably right, but they shall be small lasers for me. :)

Or it was meant to serve both roles.

I picked up a lance worth for now, i'll be making a WSP-1A. WSP-1D, WSP-1K and WSP-1L.  My work around for the 1L was to take an extra launcher from one of the D/K kits, and use them to replace the medium laser on the right arm.

It's almost like it was planned to leave that option open. Good stuff. Glad to see people quickly taking the initiative on relatively simple mods like this to make the mini their own.  O0

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #79 on: 26 March 2017, 11:16:29 »
Also we will have the Wasp 1A coming out soon as well.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #80 on: 26 March 2017, 15:17:13 »
I'm puzzled. I thought we are already talking about the Wasp 1A (maybe coming with parts for the 1D).

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #81 on: 26 March 2017, 15:43:02 »
I'm puzzled. I thought we are already talking about the Wasp 1A (maybe coming with parts for the 1D).

Sorry I was looking at the wrong thing when I made the post. Its the 1D that will be coming out.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #82 on: 26 March 2017, 16:19:04 »
Sorry I was looking at the wrong thing when I made the post. Its the 1D that will be coming out.

So, I'm looking at my Wasp, and what is missing for the 1D?
I have a leg mounted flamer, a machine gun, and the leg mounted missiles. Which apparently is meant to double as small lasers for the 1D.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #83 on: 26 March 2017, 16:44:16 »
So, I'm looking at my Wasp, and what is missing for the 1D?
I have a leg mounted flamer, a machine gun, and the leg mounted missiles. Which apparently is meant to double as small lasers for the 1D.

Yeah, well never mind. I did not see that they molded all of the parts together. So the blister has parts for any one version of the 1A, 1D and 1K.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 26 March 2017, 19:35:04 »
Sooo maybe it should be the 1L that's coming out soon?? ;D

Perhaps just adding an extra srm pack would be enough for that. Or a mold of nothing but that part and toss it up on the scrapyard?

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 27 March 2017, 08:59:14 »
So the blister has parts for any one version of the 1A, 1D and 1K.

Best news, thanks!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 28 March 2017, 01:19:23 »
Anyone decide the MG for the -K seems better placed under the LT instead of on top?  I'm considering doing that.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #87 on: 28 March 2017, 01:34:28 »
Anyone decide the MG for the -K seems better placed under the LT instead of on top?  I'm considering doing that.

Wait. It's supposed to go on top? I kinda' assumed it went on the bottom.

Which - aside from the leg-mounted weaponry, which has an obvious spot, where *is* the intended location for the torso-mounted weapons? (Small Laser on the D and S, MG on the K, and Flamer on the S.)

Also, I wouldn't mind the ability to buy the sprue that has SRM/ S.Laser piece as well. Three of them can make a 1W. Two of them makes the 1L as seen above.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #88 on: 28 March 2017, 09:52:56 »
Which - aside from the leg-mounted weaponry, which has an obvious spot, where *is* the intended location for the torso-mounted weapons? (Small Laser on the D and S, MG on the K, and Flamer on the S.)

There's that little ridge on the upper leg that matches the slot on the flamer (it's in the left leg on the record sheet). The dual SL appears to belong on the lower torso on the sloped part right above the hip. You could also glue it to the torso next to the head where there's an even spot.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 28 March 2017, 12:04:40 »
It looks like a baby shadow hawk with the MG on the top.  So went for the undermount.  Also the SRM is too wide to place flat on the topside and you would need to stand it on the side to work.  Then again peripheral vision never seems to be a problem in the game  ;D