Author Topic: The Scorpion Empire : Plus Ultra  (Read 197376 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Bienvenidos al Imperio del Escorpión II : Necrosia Boogaloo
« Reply #30 on: 14 November 2014, 19:36:29 »
I think pre-board-crash it came up and the devs stated outright he wasn't a Seeker.  That's something for Ask The Writers, I guess.

Has anyone figured out what the makeup of a Cavalier Guards cluster is?
« Last Edit: 14 November 2014, 20:02:53 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #31 on: 14 November 2014, 19:39:15 »
That'd be interesting, he could have been an adviser/bondsman/whatever taken from the Scorps while they were training the 'goons.

Anyone know where the name "Snord" would come from?

I always felt it was open for a reason.  We've not been shown the story of his origin, and the clues point to the Scorpions, who would really be the only other Clan he could be from, aside from the Wolves.  We've only been told it in the narrative and through characters.  Reality could literally be anything. 

This is actually an instance where telling and not showing is a very good thing and a great example of what is so much fun about this game universe.  There are millions of stories waiting to be told somehow - on the table, or in fan fiction, or anything else.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #32 on: 14 November 2014, 20:18:50 »
That'd be interesting, he could have been an adviser/bondsman/whatever taken from the Scorps while they were training the 'goons.

Anyone know where the name "Snord" would come from?

This is going to be the stupidest thing you've heard from me, but the first time I saw the name "Cranston Snord" was in a "BC" comic strip from the seventies.  Basically, someone was asked who is buried in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and the response was "Cranston Snord".  I have no idea if there is a joke I'm missing, or if they just went with a bizarre name, or what.  Given that the only things that I see pop up when I search "Cranston Snord" are Battletech related (and that BC Comic), I don't think there is an "original" place the name comes from before BC.

Also, in my headcanon, since the Dragoons were partially trained by the Scorpions anyway, Cranston is one who was "acquired" by the Dragoons.  I believe it is so until I am explicitly told otherwise.  And even then, I may STILL believe it is so.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 14 November 2014, 21:14:08 »
Headcanon's headcanon, roll with it as you like.  It all works either way, really, but the idea of a Scorpion hanging out with mercs is classic - especially the Irregulars.

In other things: I'm putting together a 4th Uhlans cluster for post-WOR should there ever be proper Shenanigans in the setting.  I was wondering - how do you guys pick your 'short forces' when you're only at, say, 60% strength?  I'm just calling each individual star at 30%, and fluffing it as "individual warriors being transferred to other units but leaving the cluster and trinary organization intact" myself.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #34 on: 14 November 2014, 23:42:06 »
I think it is mostly speculation, because of his collecting habits.

Although he might/might not be a Scorp, there's the possibility that among his Irregulars there might be those original Scorps that went with the Dragoons to the IS. IIRC there were quite a few Scorps that were enthusiastic about the chance to see the IS first-hand.

And from Sarna:
Other MechWarriors who were cashiered from Wolf's Dragoons or had quit were provided with forged identification and new backgrounds, and subsequently joined Snord's unit. These included the brothers John and Terry Malvinson, Samual Sneede and Shalimar Windall, and later Walker Roche. The Malvinson brothers brought Cranston's daughter Rhonda, and Terry Malvinson had secret orders from Joshua Wolf to kill Cranston Snord should he ever threaten to expose the true nature and origin of Wolf's Dragoons.

These ex-Dragoons could be Scorps. Walker Roche? Sounds like an alias for a Seeker(another meaning for Walker) from the Scorpion homeworld. Their tendency to know about hidden SLDF facilities on IS worlds(the locations/info) could come from the Scorps too.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2014, 23:43:48 by ArkRoyalRavager »

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #35 on: 15 November 2014, 08:19:55 »
Headcanon's headcanon, roll with it as you like.  It all works either way, really, but the idea of a Scorpion hanging out with mercs is classic - especially the Irregulars.

In other things: I'm putting together a 4th Uhlans cluster for post-WOR should there ever be proper Shenanigans in the setting.  I was wondering - how do you guys pick your 'short forces' when you're only at, say, 60% strength?  I'm just calling each individual star at 30%, and fluffing it as "individual warriors being transferred to other units but leaving the cluster and trinary organization intact" myself.
Well, I only did this once, but what I did was roll up the whole unit and then randomly eliminate down to the proper percentage.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #36 on: 15 November 2014, 09:15:16 »
These ex-Dragoons could be Scorps. Walker Roche? Sounds like an alias for a Seeker(another meaning for Walker) from the Scorpion homeworld. Their tendency to know about hidden SLDF facilities on IS worlds(the locations/info) could come from the Scorps too.

Another juicy clue.  This one says "Possible Former Scorpion" all over it.  But it does not mean they could only be Seekers.  I would bet my Scorpion sense on it that most all Scorpions, the rank and file trueborns and any freeborns they adopt into the warrior caste, hold the the Seekers in reverence and respect and would want to emulate them at all stops.

So they could be like Seekers in outlook and action, even if they are or were not actual Seekers before leaving the Home Worlds. Simply because Goliath Scorpion and Seeker culture in particular seem that strong to me, and even more, because we were told that Snord was not a Seeker.  If we were told that, then theory needs to accommodate that thought. 

But none of it precludes him or many of the others (like Walker Roche) from being a Scorpion by origin.  O0 
« Last Edit: 15 November 2014, 09:19:17 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 15 November 2014, 10:34:20 »
Come on man, I'd say Walker Roche is a dead-ringer.

Scorps love to play Indy and also do mysteries. Green Ghosts. saKhan Posavatz. Possibly Knights of St Cameron.  #P

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 15 November 2014, 10:46:12 »
Ooooh knights of St. Cameron, that is a interesting option there. And I am going to assume no connection has been stated between the Scorpions and the Ghosts?

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 15 November 2014, 11:13:42 »
With IE's lousy skills, I doubt they can uncover anything about the Ghosts. I mentioned the Knights because they always disappear and come back with bucketloads of SLDF equipment. And there's only one Clan who gets well with honorable mercs and loves anything to do with the Star League...

Just a wild guess anyway ;)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #40 on: 15 November 2014, 12:36:52 »
Come on man, I'd say Walker Roche is a dead-ringer.

I'd say you are right, he is a dead ringer.  Maybe he was one, for all I or anyone knows.

But it also makes sense that the Seekers were forbidden by the Khans from going on the Wolf Dragoon mission because they might decide at some point to abscond from Jaime Wolf's command, somehow jeopardizing the mission or blowing the Clans' cover.

edit: Still does not mean Seekers didn't send some of their own somehow.  So there is that.  I wouldn't mind it happening either, so my argument against it is done.  :)
« Last Edit: 15 November 2014, 12:41:24 by rebs »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 15 November 2014, 21:44:06 »
I'd say you are right, he is a dead ringer.  Maybe he was one, for all I or anyone knows.

But it also makes sense that the Seekers were forbidden by the Khans from going on the Wolf Dragoon mission because they might decide at some point to abscond from Jaime Wolf's command, somehow jeopardizing the mission or blowing the Clans' cover.

edit: Still does not mean Seekers didn't send some of their own somehow.  So there is that.  I wouldn't mind it happening either, so my argument against it is done.  :)

Behold the power of necrosia! It makes us reach consensus :D

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: 15 November 2014, 22:25:40 »
Behold the power of necrosia! It makes us reach consensus :D

ONE OF US!  ONE OF US!  ONE OF US!

So my brother and I discuss our "characters" for our factions and their rides (mostly because I am a dork).  Still working out what bloodline I'd want my Scorpion to be, but for some reason, the CHP-1Nb Champion (that he dug up from some Brian Cache somewhere) just feels right.  Could he get a better Mech?  Possibly.  But does he want one?  Hell no!  Star League History, Baby!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #43 on: 15 November 2014, 22:31:29 »

didn't the scorpions help train the Dragoon's before they left? it might be some of the Dragoons picked up Scorpion like interests as a result.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 15 November 2014, 23:23:14 »
ONE OF US!  ONE OF US!  ONE OF US!

So my brother and I discuss our "characters" for our factions and their rides (mostly because I am a dork).  Still working out what bloodline I'd want my Scorpion to be, but for some reason, the CHP-1Nb Champion (that he dug up from some Brian Cache somewhere) just feels right.  Could he get a better Mech?  Possibly.  But does he want one?  Hell no!  Star League History, Baby!

That's a sweet ride. 5/8 with the longest-ranged pre-3058 weapons.

didn't the scorpions help train the Dragoon's before they left? it might be some of the Dragoons picked up Scorpion like interests as a result.

Doubt the core members would do that. They were born and bred Wolves.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #45 on: 16 November 2014, 01:15:22 »
Doubt the core members would do that. They were born and bred Wolves.

But if any of our born-and-bred Wolves were actually freeborns who only had the pale, spindly and shoddy freeborn warrior experience, maybe they would pick up Goliath Scorpion habits as a way to be rebellious and stick it to the trashborns. 

Hard to wave the flag when you occasionally get beaten by the flagpole arbitrarily and have to pretend to like it.

But then again, some will be Wolves to their core no matter what.  So it's a mix, more than likely.  But I agree, the Wolf's Dragoons definitely are a mix of clan ideologies.     

« Last Edit: 16 November 2014, 02:29:22 by rebs »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 16 November 2014, 01:29:10 »
The original Clan Wolf treated their freeborns better...Jaime Wolf fought in the same frontline trinary as Natasha Kerensky in the Homeworlds. So they might be more loyal to their parent Clan than other Clans' freeborns did. But the Wolf brothers had a trueborn parent, so it could be just an exception.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #47 on: 16 November 2014, 01:47:10 »
I agree with the idea that the Wolf Freeborns were better-treated than their Jade Falcon cousins.

But I also think attitudes vary greatly across various repository/sibko development centers on different planets. (iirc, Freeborn "sibkos" also train at these places.)  Wolf Clan Sourcebook entries indicated that there were such places, and some were more warden leaning while others were more crusader. 

Bloodnamed Trueborn parent probably helps a lot.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2014, 01:53:59 by rebs »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #48 on: 16 November 2014, 02:53:28 »
and if some of the dragoon's members already had an interest in history, the star league, etc..
one would presume that some of the trainers that taught the Dragoon's IS style fighting would have been seekers.. people who have not only sought out relics of the past, but sought to understand it. i doubt your typical clan warrior would have had much understanding of star league  combined-arms-mass-battle-semi-free-for-all fighting.. even with Zell and trials not always being a certain thing, the clan way of warfare is substantially different than what the Dragoons were trained to do.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 16 November 2014, 06:26:29 »
It has been clearly stated that it was the 1st Cateran Cluster that taught the Dragoons. When they were challenged by Crusaders, who argued that the tactics being taught by the Scorpions were unbecoming Clan Warriors and demanded the Scorpions be removed, the Scorpions simply stated that they were using old Star League military manuals and holos that they had pulled from their historical archives to create the Dragoon training regimen.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #50 on: 16 November 2014, 13:22:21 »
If the Wolf Dragoons respected their Scorpion trainers it's likely that something Scorpion would inevitably rub off. Respect for combined arms? Respect for the Star League? Who knows, maybe it was just respect for the Heartvenom Cluster. Point being, these people were working closely with one another for a decent period of time. Relationships—for better or worse—will be forged.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #51 on: 16 November 2014, 15:21:57 »
I think we'll all agree that, even if no Scorpions went with the Dragoons, it would make sense for a little bit of Scorpionish Tendencies to rub off.

"That is enough training today.  You have done well."

"Excuse me, Star Commander Hank Scorpion*, but may I ask what is that book you're reading?"

"Why of course, Cranston Wolf.  It is a copy of Game of Star Lords by Martin RR George**, the Star League's best selling book of the year 2652.  It is a novel about feuding branches of the Terran Hegemony's ruling family, and their interactions with the leaders of the other members of the Successor States.  A bit long, but a good read nonetheless."

"...where did you get that?"

"Oh, dug it out of a Brian Cache last Thursday.  Had to fight a Star of rampaging Hellion Elementals while armed only with a spoon, but it was worth it."

"That is the coolest thing I've ever heard of in my life, and I want to model my life exactly that way."

"Here, you may need this bottle..."

While it probably wouldn't be anything remotely this silly, you see what I'm getting at.  It would be natural for these groups working together to have some interests rub off on each other.

*Shut up.  It's my example, I'll stick Simpsons references in if I want to, dammit.

**I really have no shame.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 16 November 2014, 15:28:15 »
I think we'll all agree that, even if no Scorpions went with the Dragoons, it would make sense for a little bit of Scorpionish Tendencies to rub off.

"That is enough training today.  You have done well."

"Excuse me, Star Commander Hank Scorpion*, but may I ask what is that book you're reading?"

"Why of course, Cranston Wolf.  It is a copy of Game of Star Lords by Martin RR George**, the Star League's best selling book of the year 2652.  It is a novel about feuding branches of the Terran Hegemony's ruling family, and their interactions with the leaders of the other members of the Successor States.  A bit long, but a good read nonetheless."

"...where did you get that?"

"Oh, dug it out of a Brian Cache last Thursday.  Had to fight a Star of rampaging Hellion Elementals while armed only with a spoon, but it was worth it."

"That is the coolest thing I've ever heard of in my life, and I want to model my life exactly that way."

"Here, you may need this bottle..."

While it probably wouldn't be anything remotely this silly, you see what I'm getting at.  It would be natural for these groups working together to have some interests rub off on each other.

*Shut up.  It's my example, I'll stick Simpsons references in if I want to, dammit.

**I really have no shame.

This is now officially canon.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #53 on: 16 November 2014, 18:59:10 »
Best.  Thread.  Ever.  Srsly.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 17 November 2014, 07:01:01 »
Best.  Thread.  Ever.  Srsly.

O0 O0

It got me to imagine how much profits IS publishers could make by "reimagining" A Song of Ice and Fire for the Great House politics.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #55 on: 17 November 2014, 07:14:37 »
Not much.

No one "reads" a book anymore, Holy Shroud saw to that. However, I do have the Toyama Sessions: Gregorian Chants Unplugged for download. We just need a verigraphed copy of your identity, standard HPG shipping and handling rates apply.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #56 on: 17 November 2014, 07:15:11 »
Seriously, Scorpions just have more fun.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 17 November 2014, 07:17:42 »
Not much.

No one "reads" a book anymore, Holy Shroud saw to that. However, I do have the Toyama Sessions: Gregorian Chants Unplugged for download. We just need a verigraphed copy of your identity, standard HPG shipping and handling rates apply.
I prefer the classics, that is why I have every recording of Hollis York and the ROMets.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 17 November 2014, 07:32:08 »
Does the Imperio even have HPGs?

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #59 on: 17 November 2014, 07:35:55 »
I would imagine they have portable ones that the clans use at least, and would probably build a small network for interplanetary stuff.

Register