Author Topic: The Nellus Academy Incident  (Read 3476 times)

gaaneden

• Recruit
The Nellus Academy Incident
« on: 29 January 2014, 18:37:57 »
If you haven't heard, my YA Battletech series, The Nellus Academy Incident, originally published on Battlecorps.com, is out as a novel now. It's getting some great feedback and I'd love to see what you all think.

Frabby

• Major
Re: The Nellus Academy Incident
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2014, 18:24:42 »
I'll say that in retrospective, it's somewhat surprising that this was actually advertised for a younger audience. I already remarked elsewhere that it starts as something resembling Starfleet Academy, but then it turns pretty dark and painful - actually I felt it was a bit more adult in this respect than the average BT story (pre-Jihad at least).
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

gaaneden

• Recruit
Re: The Nellus Academy Incident
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2014, 14:46:32 »
I will agree that the story did turn very dark and personal. However, as a military brat who once lived in a foreign country during the Cold War, the kind of training I did just as a dependent (and not a cadet) intimated that death at the hands of the enemy was a very real thing. This was a lesson I knew at 9 years old. This is the kind of story I wanted to bring to the Battletech universe--personal stories of the protagonists before they became grizzled veterans and a bit more detached from the horrors of war.

Here's one parent's review of the novel while he was deciding whether or not to let his young gifted daughter read The Nellus Academy Incident. I totally agree with it. The novel is for the older side of the YA market.