Poll

How should I read "Surrender Your Dreams" for the first time?

Read it start to finish. The author's "Pulp Fiction" organization scheme is interesting and worthwhile.
6 (66.7%)
Figure out the "correct" sequential chapter order and read them in timeline order. The "Pulp Fiction" thing is unnecessary and annoying.
2 (22.2%)
Don't read it at all, skip to the next book.
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: 13 October 2016, 11:07:35

Author Topic: Reading "Surrender Your Dreams" for the first time  (Read 13178 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Reading "Surrender Your Dreams" for the first time
« on: 03 October 2016, 11:07:35 »
I've been reading the Dark Age novels in order for the first time, and I'm up to "Surrender Your Dreams." Imagine my surprise to see that it's told out of sequence, "Pulp Fiction" style (by the author's own citation in the foreward).

I have some concerns about a) how that'll work in a non-visual medium and b) whether the writing supports the choice as anything more than a gimmick. Out-of-sequence narrative can work if audience knowledge/revelation is managed correctly, otherwise it can turn into an annoyance pretty quickly.

When voting, remember that I'm probably going to read this book once before moving on. (Hopefully, I've only put down two DA books before finishing them.) It's unlikely that, once I'm done, I'll want to start over and read it the other way that isn't selected in the poll.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Reading "Surrender Your Dreams" for the first time
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2016, 13:26:30 »
Read it as it.  It take a little getting used to, but I enjoyed it once I did.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2016, 19:58:55 »
I read it the first time as written, then re-read it by sequence.  Enjoyed it both times.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2016, 13:41:30 »
Just ignore the last chapter, it didn't happen in canon (anymore) due to 3150 changes.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 21 October 2016, 14:45:17 »
Just ignore the last chapter, it didn't happen in canon (anymore) due to 3150 changes.

I think you've misinterpreted.  All that was said it that is was not necessiarly true.  It's hasn't been proved false yet?

Spoilers below....

From 2013, "<@Habeas2> Nerroth - We are not necessarily considering the epilogue for Surrender Your Dreams valid.  It would be too restrictive to upcoming plans."

And even those "upcoming plans" themselves are now in question.
We don't if the future of Surrender Your Dreams will come out that way or not is not the same as it definetely didn't/won't happen.  Too many negatives in that statement. How about, we just don't know yet?

Further note: If the epilogue is set 21 years after the Fortress Republic goes up, that would be 3156?
« Last Edit: 21 October 2016, 14:52:08 by nckestrel »
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets