Author Topic: Tell me about the Wolf Trap (Tora)  (Read 9372 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Tell me about the Wolf Trap (Tora)
« Reply #30 on: 18 October 2013, 17:19:49 »
I personally like the Record Sheets: Unique 'Mechs book's entry for the Wolf Trap, the Daitama. I like specially like the fluff that was added to it, which its pilot founds way into the Updated version TRO:3050. Too bad the 'mech didn't.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 18 October 2013, 17:54:45 »
A LB-10X, a LRM-10 and 2 ML's is more the sort of thing you put on a vehicle. One of the strengths of 'Mechs is that unlike Vee's they can build up heat and use DHS's, this design leverage neither

As I'm sure you're aware, the DCMS had some trouble getting DHS onto designs in the early 3050s, as evidenced by their lack on designs like the Panther and Atlas. While they DID include it on other designs like the Mauler, it was some time before Combine manufacturers began making them a standard piece of equipment. Since the Wolf Trap uses fairly low-heat weapons, this doesn't seem like a machine to waste DHS on if you're only making them in low numbers at the time- even an alpha strike from this thing doesn't really make things run too warm.

Thing is, not every machine does the same job. As Redshirt pointed out, this makes a great vehicle hunter- something that high-heat weapons like PPCs and large lasers aren't as good at. For jobs other than 'go kill other Battlemechs', this machine can shine- without needing high-heat weapons or the heat sinks they require.

(I do admit I wish there was a bit of extra heat dissipation at times, preferably via an extra couple of heat sinks, but there's not really anywhere to pull the weight from without ruining the design)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 18 October 2013, 18:17:35 »
@JadeHellbringer that means that the design makes in-universe sense for when it was designed, but out-of-universe people are going to be judging it by modern standards of 'Mechs design (In-universe to, most likely) so people operating in the post-TRO:3085 era (both in and out) will be confused by it, remember that 3085 gave the Targe-1N DHS when it didn't need it

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 18 October 2013, 18:18:53 »
@JadeHellbringer that means that the design makes in-universe sense for when it was designed, but out-of-universe people are going to be judging it by modern standards of 'Mechs design (In-universe to, most likely) so people operating in the post-TRO:3085 era (both in and out) will be confused by it, remember that 3085 gave the Targe-1N DHS when it didn't need it

Except those pesky heat generating infernos, plasma weapons and occasional engine hit.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 18 October 2013, 19:11:22 »
You really think that most people care about that, gooseman? Plus that design needs all the help it can get

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 18 October 2013, 19:44:14 »
You really think that most people care about that, gooseman? Plus that design needs all the help it can get

While I cannot speak for most, I would think tactical savvy players would consider it.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 18 October 2013, 20:56:02 »
I never minded the original model, but yes, the fluff was dead wrong. Don't look at it like a Wolfhound killer. Look at it as it is: a CN9-D on a weight loss program. The Combine doesn't have regular access to a Centurion plant if I remember right, so if you look at it as the next best thing, it's a fairly decent trooper. For its size it has a nice load of ranged weaponry between the LRMs and autocannon, and it has decent speed for said array. As said above, pair it with a contemporary Grand Dragon (Which it is comparable to, save the thicker armor on the Heavy), or some heavy hitter where cluster rounds and LRMs can take advantage of the holes it makes.

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #37 on: 19 October 2013, 06:09:27 »

You should remind that a lot of people have played with the Wolf Trap since the nineties and that TRO:3085 has been with us not enough time to reevaluate "the old mechs of yore". A lot of people in the nineties had a look at the fluff and compared it with the Wolfhound and this meant bad news for the Wolf Trap. Wiser people compared it with the beloved Centurion and had a good time with the "Centurion lite".

It is a proper warning for people that swear by the fluff, because it happens the same with other mechs, like the Whitworth, another good mech that it is often ignored or maligned. I despised both the Whitworth and the Wolf Trap and I realized my mistake the hard way. A Wolf Trap wandered into my long range lance and I ended with three mechs less and a sound defeat.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #38 on: 19 October 2013, 07:56:56 »
I've always seen it as the Vindicators brother. I hadn't thought about it as a little centurion but that's on my mind now.

I think what this thing needs is a sword.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2013, 08:51:49 by Col.Hengist »
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

blitzy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 19 October 2013, 15:50:13 »
I kinda would have liked to seen the Wolf trap moving at 5/8/0.  It coulda had a little extra everything that way.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2013, 17:31:01 by blitzy »
"..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness."  -Ruri Hoshino

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 19 October 2013, 16:47:00 »
blitzy, we are not supposed to post full stat blocks outside the design boards so that should be removed, however you are allowed to post a link.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 19 October 2013, 16:56:15 »
I've always seen it as the Vindicators brother. I hadn't thought about it as a little centurion but that's on my mind now.

I think what this thing needs is a sword.

You should remember it.... I ran it with my Stinger and Wasp up the back side of your Goliath Scorpions.... your remark was
"Where'd a light mech get an AC/10..... ?"

At 6/9, you get a fast unit with the ability of using slug ammo to get a solid 10 point hit.
It comes with 2 tons for the AC..... which means it can do duty as a backfield guard to keep lights off of your other designs. It moves fast enough to chase vehicles, and/or flank the enemy.... and it has enough armor to take some punishment, if it does get hit......

I'd love to see one with a Rotary5, and ER lasers...... Maybe I'll custom one up, and see what I can create with it.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #42 on: 19 October 2013, 18:08:12 »
I personally like the Record Sheets: Unique 'Mechs book's entry for the Wolf Trap, the Daitama. I like specially like the fluff that was added to it, which its pilot founds way into the Updated version TRO:3050. Too bad the 'mech didn't.

Thanks.  Daitama was an attempt to thumb my nose at the clichéd elements of Japanese culture that gaming tends to focus on while trying to touch on some of the actual strengths of the culture as I've seen it modeled by various Japanese ex-pats I've known.

-Jackmc

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 20 October 2013, 22:10:57 »
You should remember it.... I ran it with my Stinger and Wasp up the back side of your Goliath Scorpions.... your remark was
"Where'd a light mech get an AC/10..... ?"

At 6/9, you get a fast unit with the ability of using slug ammo to get a solid 10 point hit.
It comes with 2 tons for the AC..... which means it can do duty as a backfield guard to keep lights off of your other designs. It moves fast enough to chase vehicles, and/or flank the enemy.... and it has enough armor to take some punishment, if it does get hit......

I'd love to see one with a Rotary5, and ER lasers...... Maybe I'll custom one up, and see what I can create with it.

Nahuris

You weren't using an actual wolftrap.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #44 on: 22 October 2013, 22:58:04 »
You weren't using an actual wolftrap.

It was a stock Wolf Trap, with slug ammo.....

The figurine is ridiciously small.... and looks a LOT like a light mech.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 24 October 2013, 09:27:19 »
I have 2. That was a long time ago. Bad memory.

Register