Author Topic: How would you suggest playing a co-op campaign using megamek/mekhq?  (Read 2293 times)

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
I'm wanting to run a battletech game in the future for my friends, but we have one problem - I had to move to a new location without any gamers about three years ago, and the only way we can still play together is over Roll20. I intend to play AToW sessions, and I'd like to handle mech combat using megamek. However, this is a campaign, so tracking damage, their money, etc. is important - but how can I do all of that, especially for a game where up to four players will be operating together in the same mercenary outfit? How do I go about handling contracts, repairs, etc.?

Actually, just thought of using megamek only, and saving the unit files at the end of the game; then when the next game rolls around, the players are allowed to repair a certain amount of armor/structure points, weapons, and ammo - which could allow me to use the Chaos Campaign system.

So, anybody have any ideas or help I can use? Thanks ahead of time.

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

bluedragon7

• Sergeant
Re: How would you suggest playing a co-op campaign using megamek/mekhq?
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2017, 17:22:33 »
If you change a few skills, you can use mekHQ to track the characters and all NPCs of your group. That would be the easiest way. I am not sure if there is a Roll20 sheet for characters, but especially tracking Mechs and general logistics between megamek sessions is the what mekHQ is best at.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 13 November 2017, 17:24:16 »
MHQ is well suited to handling the Finances, Repairs, etc.

You could post the Campaign File after/before every fight to Roll d20 or email it to the group and let them open it in their own MHQ downloads. Several campaigns are currently running that way right now.

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2017, 17:04:53 »
Thanks for the ideas, guys, and they're all pretty simple too.

Also, I do recall seeing an AToW character sheet on Roll20, but if it doesn't exist my group can just use physical sheets anyways - some of them already do so because three of my players share a single computer (I think they have two, but I don't recall if the second is working or not).

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat