Author Topic: Corp merc units.  (Read 1676 times)

jackson123

• Warrant Officer
Corp merc units.
« on: 25 January 2016, 00:32:24 »
Over the last 20 years I have ran at least a dozen battletech/mechwarrior games. For some reason my players always liked working for a corp. The fact of easy cash and good supply of repair parts reeled them in. Anyone else use this stick?

PurpleDragon

• Captain
Re: Corp merc units.
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2016, 01:26:06 »
While the tables I have used for contract generation have almost always included the possibility, the few times it was offered, they (the players) never bit.  I use random generation as much as possible.  That way I sometimes have just as much a surprise as they do.  And it seems to be more fun to me when I am running. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2016, 14:55:32 »
I found that even when in the employment of a corp it is easy enough to push them into participating in a larger conflict where easy life becomes a lot harder and they have to make difficult decisions that may have long-lasting consequences.  For example, if the factory they are defending comes under overwhelming attack, they may chose to abandon their charge (thereby breaching their contract) which would obviously cause problems in future contract negotiations.  Alternatively they may honor their contract and hurt the invader/attacker and regardless of their success may create an enemy hungry for payback the next time a contract brings them into that region of space.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2016, 20:06:48 »
Over the last 20 years I have ran at least a dozen battletech/mechwarrior games. For some reason my players always liked working for a corp. The fact of easy cash and good supply of repair parts reeled them in. Anyone else use this stick?

Are the players using their own Mechs, or corp-issued Mechs.  If player Mechs, they may not be able to get the proper repairs ("Sorry, we only produce 300 class engines, that is a 275 rated engine.").

The other fun is that part of the small print could state that the players managed to gather the salvage on company time, thus the salvage is mostly company property.  So the players have to hide any salvage they recover or face the company demanding 75%+ of it.

Easy money should never be.