Author Topic: Why is the MUL in the "Downloads" section incomplete?  (Read 2962 times)

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
Why is the MUL in the "Downloads" section incomplete?
« on: 15 April 2011, 08:30:57 »
I thought the MUL was complete now. I would like to print it off but when I went to the "Downloads" section and luckily checked first, I noticed that it was incredibly incomplete.

Where is the complete MUL? Can the MUL in the "Downloads" section be updated?
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
Re: Why is the MUL in the "Downloads" section incomplete?
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2011, 08:33:42 »
http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_35_213&products_id=2730

that is the "complete" 1.0 release of the MUL.  it will be updated and added to as time goes on
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Lyran Archer

• Lieutenant
  • pre-3050: ARC-2R / post-3050: ARC-5W
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2011, 10:49:21 »
http://www.battlecorps.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_35_213&products_id=2730

that is the "complete" 1.0 release of the MUL.  it will be updated and added to as time goes on

Thanks, but couldn't CGL also just update the MUL in their own "Downloads" section?
LCAF German Expeditionary Militia Kampfgruppe Panzerfaust: 1 Overlord class DropShip, 1 Fortress class DropShip, 2 AeroSpace Fighters, 4 BattleMech Companies, 1 Vehicle Company, 1 Infantry Battalion
Motto: STAND (behind a hill) AND DELIVER (indirectly via spotter)!

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2011, 10:57:30 »
I'm sure they could but it should be taken down.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2011, 11:36:13 »
Does the one on BC list the introduction years of the 'Mechs?

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2011, 11:42:56 »
No, instead it lists their availability during the Jihad and Dark Ages.

Cheers,
LCC

EDIT: Re: the OP, the version on the Catalyst site was only a beta version, hence the incompleteness.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2011, 12:51:05 by LastChanceCav »
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2011, 12:42:53 »
like I said, will be updated.

and I don't think they will do precise introduction years, since techmanual and taco ops bit CGL in the rear with that (people honestly wanting to nitpick over the introduction year of a fictional piece of equipment, or precisely WHEN the Rocket Launcher would be around when really it appears and disappears with time etc etc etc.)
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2011, 12:56:04 »
My personal preference would be a publicly accessible database of all the information that the MUL team has heroically pulled together and curated to create these documents. It's the kind of info that's nice to have, but when it comes down to what Catalyst does, I'd rather have them spend their time on new content, rather than collating old data (no matter how useful/interesting it might be for me personally).

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2011, 12:57:07 »
No, instead it lists their availability during the Jihad and Dark Ages.

Cheers,
LCC

EDIT: Re: the OP, the version on the Catalyst site was only a beta version, hence the incompleteness.
So its mostly useless outside of those two eras.
The big bonus of the names list was the introduction years of each variant (very useful for early SW-era).

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2011, 13:01:34 »
So its mostly useless outside of those two eras.

Yes, a list of BV2 values for just about every unit and variant known is "mostly useless."  ::)

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2011, 13:04:31 »
I thought the MUL was complete now. I would like to print it off but when I went to the "Downloads" section and luckily checked first, I noticed that it was incredibly incomplete.

Where is the complete MUL? Can the MUL in the "Downloads" section be updated?

Thank you. It will be removed.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2011, 14:20:43 »
There is no MUL.

Or, more precisely, the complete MUL (as in, the actual project/database that became known as "The MUL") hasn't been released so far. It's uncertain if it will ever be completely released to the public.

A beta (!) list of names, BV and introductory dates was released. It's beta, i.e. not an official (as in canonical) product, just work-in-progress for fact checking. I found it tremendously useful (not to say interesting) even knowing that some bits and pieces were still missing or wrong.

Finally, a BV list for certain units and time periods was officially published. Although it was made clear right from the start that it is only a small part of the whole MUL, some people still seem to believe it to be the end product - which it quite clearly is not. It's just sort of an official preview. And it was made quite clear what time periods and what units it encompasses; its only purpose is to provide accurate, reliable (canonical) BV values for the units it includes. No more, no less.

Me, I'm waiting for further releases which we were told would be forthcoming. Until maybe one day the entire MUL project is published...
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2011, 15:00:54 »
Yes, a list of BV2 values for just about every unit and variant known is "mostly useless."  ::)
Well, the faction availability is.
The rest is pretty much the same as the beta, except that it lacks material from the latest publications.

megatrons2nd

• Warrant Officer
  • All hail Megatron
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2011, 00:55:19 »
Well, the faction availability is.
The rest is pretty much the same as the beta, except that it lacks material from the latest publications.

And a few out of print ones.  Unless I missed an update.
All the world's a joke and the people merely punchlines.