Author Topic: 3028-3057 Random Assignment & Rarity Tables - 12 June v10.64  (Read 281816 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: 3028-3050 Random Assignment & Rarity Tables - 11 Jan v9.1
« Reply #450 on: 01 September 2017, 16:37:35 »
Works for me!  I've been avoiding the clans for years.  Your tables are an excellent source of inspiration when building forces.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #451 on: 01 September 2017, 19:19:42 »
Yeah, a preview/beta for the new 3057 release.  Two houses down, three to go.  I won't be doing any others for 3057 beside the Houses because I no longer have the time (just doing these five because I promised I'd get them done).

Roger that; thank you.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #452 on: 01 September 2017, 19:42:30 »
Yeah, a preview/beta for the new 3057 release.  Two houses down, three to go.  I won't be doing any others for 3057 beside the Houses because I no longer have the time (just doing these five because I promised I'd get them done).
Very deeply appreciate your dedication to finishing it.  I use these for filling out my random Lyran units plenty.  it's just a little bit of a bummer how rare the 'dedicated' Lyran designs are, compared to all the Star League salvage and common machines ended up with, so sometimes I'll fudge rolls a bit for some extra -S variants. 

So for your weight-by-percentage chart, how would you adjust those numbers for, say, light/heavy/assault units?  Or do you see it more or less the same distribution across the board, and it's all coming down to how each regiment organizes its individual supply rather than "this is an assault regiment, this is a light regiment" with their own percentages of weight classes?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #453 on: 02 April 2018, 02:13:59 »
Kurita prefer light or heavy mechs, ignoring mediums.

Makes the fact that they have so many Panther, the very definition of 'wannabe medium,' in their forces kinda ironic. 

Virlutris

• Recruit
  • Is this thing on?
« Reply #454 on: 20 May 2018, 12:32:54 »
First, the Av ratings, as requested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecse3cz1oha1rpw/CapCon%203057%20AV%20ratings.docx?dl=0

Now, on to a lot of the fun stuff in order to answer questions.  This is also why these tables take so long to make.

The CCAF gets chopped down to an all-time low of 12 regiments following the 4th War and Adurien-Magistracy Invasion.  By 3057 they're up to 31 regiments.  That means that less than 40% of their ranks are pre-4th War production.  At the same time, they get dropped down to an all-time low in terms of factories as well, and those don't reappear anywhere near as fast as their regiment numbers do.  They lose Corey, they lose Styk, they lose Nanking, they lose Tikonov, they lose St. Ives.  Basically all they can build are Stingers, Wasps, Locusts, Vindicators, Ravens, and Cataphracts.  Offhand, that's it (and remember, some of those pre-4th War survivals are going to be yet more Stingers, Wasps, Locusts, and Vindicators).  That means a remarkably homogenous set of tables.  Yes, when you fight the CapCon in this era, you may lose simply by being drowned in Vindicator corpses.  Kind of boring, but that's the established facts of the universe, and the whole point of these tables is to capture things like that.  At least the AB tables get some Marik bribery machines to leaven things a bit.

The other thing is that when I completely redid the tables some years back to take into account regiment numbers and known weight distributions, and tied that into my Av numbers, it means I could say with some statistical certainty just how many of X machine actually existed in any one House.  Now, because I have a record for each era I make tables for, I can be consistent in terms of these numbers.  More importantly, I should, or the work was pointless.  For instance, I start a set of 3057 tables by grabbing my excel sheet for 3050 for that faction and then begin making tweaks.  So, in 3050 Liao statistically has 51 PXH-1 Phoenix Hawks in its ranks.  Since they don't make those anymore, I have to make sure that the combined total of Phoenix Hawks in both the AB and CDF sheets for 3057 doesn't exceed 51.  If I'm off by 1 or 2, no big deal, but that's the general constraint I'm working with.

So, take 3050, figure out how many regiments are in 3057, figure out how many of those are A or B-rated vs CDF rated, figure out new production and open-market purchases new to that era, and cross check the results constantly against each other and the 3050 total to make sure it all lines up both backward in time and across both sets of unit ratings.  This took a while to set up.

Because of this combo -- the split between AB and CDF, combined with wild swings in regiment sizes for some factions -- Av numbers are often much rougher guidelines compared to what they used to be.  All that matters to me is lining up the total number of old, fixed numbers of machines (the ones no longer in production) between the 3050 tables and the 3057 tables.  The rest is gravy (we don't have production figures for newer machines, but we have the number of regiments added, so by process of elimination what is produced must fill those regiments).

Bear in mind, too, that what the Av ratings mean change depending on whether you're looking at AB or CDF tables.  The AB tables are always dealing with a much smaller number of regiments (9, in the CCAF's case).  For example, Av 2 in the AB tables means about a lance of machines scattered across 9 regiments; the same value for the CDF tables (22 regiments) means about two companies.  Because the AB-rated regiments are fewer, I could add more weird Succession War-era obscurities and SLDF leftovers to their list, whereas in the larger pool of CDF regiments they're diluted to the point of statistical extinction.

So, on to specific points:

Number of Ravens: kind of addressed above (Liao doesn't build much else).  I tried to keep the numbers of ECM ones down, though, focusing on the combat models.  You've got about 30 ECM-equipped ones scattered throughout the 22 regiments of CDF (most being the primitive -1X).

Chance for good machines in CDF ranks: thought about it, but if the well-connected premier regiments don't have enough for their needs/desires I don't see how a F-rated unit is going to get enough to statistically matter, so I removed it.  At the same time, I could allow the chance, but with a roll modifier based on unit quality, so that C has a chance and D and F do not.  Might be worth it, probably be too fiddly to bother with.  That all having been said, if a Field Manual RAT assigns something cool to a lower-tier set of units, and it's not too wacky, I'll probably run with it.

Salvage ratios: Yes, Liao fought the Davions more in recent history.  But they didn't win a single one of those battles, and you have to control the field to salvage.  I forgot to note that the salvage ratings should specify the 3025 tables only for that reason (I'll edit that in the PDF right now): it's all 3rd Succession War-era salvage.

Also, the green coloured band is part a suggestion made a while back by some clever reader asking for quick visual cues to help guide a guy flipping through these.  Each of the House tables will have their colour.

This is awesome.

Not to be a bother, and not to infer even the slightest bit of pressure, but I'm curious how the remaining houses are coming along.
I've played other tabletop games, and MWO, but not TT BT.
Please pardon and help dispel any displays of ignorance of source materials.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #455 on: 20 May 2018, 23:29:04 »
Thank you.

Kurita is done as well.  The rough statistical work for the other three Houses is complete, but when I'll find the time and energy to finish them is another matter; there's a fair amount of grunt work still involved even after the basics are finished.  BT work, BT errata, and my school and private writing work all take priority, I'm afraid.  I can't give any ETA as to when I can get to the remainder.

Well, on to Davion next.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2018, 01:20:49 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #456 on: 23 August 2018, 18:19:53 »
Me and a friend generated forces using you table. I'll be for a "Death to Mercenaries" campaign.

I generated 10 Kurita mechs; 4/2/3/1
He decided to use the FWL table for whatever reason; 4/3/2/1

We're 2 BPV apart. What are the chances?
« Last Edit: 23 August 2018, 18:28:49 by Greatclub »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #457 on: 24 August 2018, 10:50:29 »
That's a pleasant coincidence, but I didn't balance these tables for BV, other than listing them from low to high BV.  Quite the opposite: I went for as canonical as possible, regardless of potential BV disparities.  Still, glad you're getting use out of them.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #458 on: 24 August 2018, 13:29:57 »
Looking forward to seeing the House Davion tables for 3057!

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #459 on: 25 August 2018, 03:36:24 »
That's a pleasant coincidence,

Thats "You've wasted your chance to win the lotto" level of coincidence, I know.

Your tables are great, BPV balanced or not.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2018, 04:21:56 by Greatclub »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #460 on: 06 September 2018, 02:09:28 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ew4eq3urlcuxpk/3028-3057%20Random%20Assignment%20%26%20Rarity%20Tables%2010.0%20Davion.pdf?dl=0

Another year, another table: Davion is ready for your perusal.  Any comments as to what might be missing are greatly appreciated.

Next up is Purple Burd.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2018, 02:48:24 by Xotl »

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #461 on: 06 September 2018, 02:35:24 »
Looking at the vehicles - no love for the generic hover-tank / LTV-4?

looking at the new Davion tables, surprised the penetrator isn't more common, we see a load of them in the novels.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #462 on: 06 September 2018, 02:43:33 »
Looking at the vehicles - no love for the generic hover-tank / LTV-4?

When I wrote those the LTV-4 didn't exist.  The vehicle tables need to be redone, but they're at the bottom of my priority list.

looking at the new Davion tables, surprised the penetrator isn't more common, we see a load of them in the novels.

The Penetrator only enters service in 3053 (and its variant in 3056), and it's shared equally between both halves of the FedCom, so I didn't want to dump a pile of them down in 3057.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #463 on: 06 September 2018, 03:11:35 »
When I wrote those the LTV-4 didn't exist.  The vehicle tables need to be redone, but they're at the bottom of my priority list.

it's existed since '92, even if it didn't have a writeup. Record Sheets Volume Five: Vehicles  - the generic 'hover tank' entry.

Given how obscure it was, I can't blame you. Same with the 'weapons carrier a," which doesn't deserve a writeup it's such a deathtrap

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #464 on: 06 September 2018, 03:32:15 »
Next up is Purple Burd.

Hurray! :D
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #465 on: 06 September 2018, 11:55:08 »

Another year, another table: Davion is ready for your perusal.  Any comments as to what might be missing are greatly appreciated.

Nothing missing, but an oddity perhaps?

For A/B rated units, there is a 3.1% chance to roll a Marauder 5S--produced in the Lyran half of the FedCom. However, there is only a 0.5% chance to roll a Marauder 5D, produced in the Feddie half.  Should those chances be switched perhaps?

Also, there is a higher chance to roll a Marauder 5D on the C/D/F rated chart (1.6%) than on the A/B chart (0.5%).  Should those be switched perhaps?  Or should the 5D not be found in C/D/F charts at all?  It wouldn't surprise me to find only the older 3R and 3D models in those units, as they were produced on Quentin (when in FS hands) and Kathil?

Great Charts, and thank you for your work, Xotl.  I love pouring over them.

Best,

Mad

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #466 on: 06 September 2018, 12:20:58 »
Yep, that's an error: I overlooked the -5D due to the way some of my reference material was set up and so it only has the availabilty it had on the 3050 chart.  I'll be deleting the -5S completely, under the assumption that if there's both Steiner and Davion variants for the same machine, then each House only gets their own variant unless the fluff specifies otherwise.  This makes sense I think, and also serves to help differentiate the factions.

As for a few higher-tech machines in lower-tier units, by 3057 some have begun trickling down.  It's still not common though, and the little L notation is meant to represent that.  The instructions are in the main document, but essentially D and F-rated units have roll modifiers so they can't roll as high, and if a F-rated unit rolls anything with an L (Lostech), then they must reroll.  The way the -5D is on the table, it's only possible to be rolled for C-rated units.

I'll update the linked table in a few minutes.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2018, 12:27:28 by Xotl »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #467 on: 06 September 2018, 13:09:00 »
Thank you Xotl!

The Fed-Com is weird.  You could understand Lyran troops being supplied in the FedSuns half having FedSuns derived materials, and vice versa.

Makes RATS a bit tricky for you, and I really appreciated all your attention to detail.

Best,

Mad

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #468 on: 31 July 2019, 00:58:56 »
As I mark a pile of student papers, I punch numbers slowly into the spreadsheet of doom.  And so the death march to completion continues: the Marik beta sheets await your inspection.  As always, I would appreciate your thoughts.  Cheers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/93bqdzp1q6fvhbr/Purple%20Burd%2010.0%20Preview.pdf?dl=0

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #469 on: 31 July 2019, 02:54:58 »
nice to see you still grinding away at the millstone, always happy to see the results.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #470 on: 31 July 2019, 03:32:02 »
Indeed!  I'll try to take a look after work tonight...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #471 on: 31 July 2019, 04:58:37 »
As I mark a pile of student papers, I punch numbers slowly into the spreadsheet of doom.  And so the death march to completion continues: the Marik beta sheets await your inspection.  As always, I would appreciate your thoughts.  Cheers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/93bqdzp1q6fvhbr/Purple%20Burd%2010.0%20Preview.pdf?dl=0
Beautiful work sir!  What're the "L" superscripts for?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #472 on: 31 July 2019, 08:49:59 »
they're all 3050/55... LosTech?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #473 on: 31 July 2019, 08:50:35 »

It's House Marik. L == Loser. ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #474 on: 31 July 2019, 08:52:26 »
It's House Marik. L == Loser. ;)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #475 on: 31 July 2019, 08:52:49 »

IIRC, it means 're-roll this if you're an 'F' rated unit.'

Those are dirtbag militia, down on their luck mercs, and regulars you're expecting to face in the next civil war. They don't get the good upgraded tech.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #476 on: 31 July 2019, 13:00:32 »
Yeah, Lostech: it's a way of resolving that fact that C-rated units and sometimes even D can have a touch of advanced tech in the unit, but F never does.  I wanted a way to reflect that without needing to create a third (F-only) table for each House.

Also, since commonality information becomes increasingly scarce the further from 3025 you get, I've been forced to use what's available.  In the absence of any other information, I based comparative rarities on RAT positioning in the FWL Field Manual (3059, and so not far off from what we're dealing with here). The field manual RATs also decided what Lostech machines trickled down to the CDF tables.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2019, 14:49:00 by Xotl »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #477 on: 31 July 2019, 14:48:19 »
at this point you could pretty much just make stuff up and we'd all just nod sagely and wonder why we didn't see it that way the whole time.

the reverse-engineering the RAT thing is so damn amusing to me because the old line used to be "RATs are for flavor, not necessarily reflective of reality" - now in many cases that's all there is so flavor becomes reality.

now if only i could convince my advisor that this was true for my dissertation as well...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #478 on: 31 July 2019, 15:36:51 »
The WVR-6M is in both lists, so hurray for that!

Were there really no 3050 Swaybacks?  ???

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #479 on: 31 July 2019, 15:45:04 »
Not until the 3060s

Register