Author Topic: BattleMech Manual Beta: Feedback desired  (Read 53511 times)

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: BattleMech Manual Beta: Feedback desired
« Reply #30 on: 20 January 2017, 16:50:09 »
Equipment
Pg97: ARTILLERY
Missing Thumper & Sniper artillery systems, as these can be BattleMech-mounted, like the Helepolis, which is listed in the BattleMech Quirks-tables.

Missing Negative Quirks
Pg89: WTF
Similar to DISTRACTING (1 POINT)
A ’Mech with the WTF quirk is physically designed to embarrass, intimidate, or confuse its pilot and opponent, with its appearance...

pg95: Yeoman:
pg90: Blitzkreig:
missing WTF Quirk
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #31 on: 20 January 2017, 17:02:05 »
Fun fact: Yeoman originally had the "Boombox" quirk but Adrian "Mad With Power" Gideon removed it.  We've begun a coup to have him removed from power as a result; expect a new reign of terror shortly.

Artillery is advanced rules stuff (i.e. lengthy page count; not TL), so other than Arrow IV, it was left out.  If you want artillery, for the most part this book intends for you to use the Battlefield Support rules.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #32 on: 20 January 2017, 17:13:17 »
Open Beta
pg.91:Firebee
Firebee does not inherit any of the WAM-B's quirks, which were: Difficult to Maintain, Extended Torso Twist, Non-Standard Parts, Poor Workmanship, Weak Legs.

If the loss of negative quirks can be explained by switching from the prototype to a mass-produced variant, and Poor Life Support could be picked up accidentally in the same process, the question still stands: where did the Extended Torso Twist go? Visually, the chassis did not change a lot.

EDIT: WAM-B is in the XTRO: Primitives Vol. III
« Last Edit: 20 January 2017, 19:03:25 by CrazyGrasshopper »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #33 on: 20 January 2017, 17:17:36 »
pg 82: Barrel Fist
Missing word. Addition in bold: "An arm with this quirk does not apply the +1 Target Number modifier for punching if it lacks a hand actuator."
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 20 January 2017, 18:14:40 »
Open Beta
pg101 M-Pod
M-Pod is not Point-Blank, hence should not get PD designation.

Also, why PD and not PB, for Point-Blank?
« Last Edit: 20 January 2017, 19:04:20 by CrazyGrasshopper »

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 20 January 2017, 18:36:17 »
Open Beta
pg53
Immobile ’Mechs and Unconscious Warriors: Immobile ’Mechs or ’Mechs with an unconscious warrior forced to make a Piloting Skill Roll—such as when shutting down due to overheating—automatically fail the roll.

Suggested change:

Immobile ’Mechs and Unconscious Warriors: Immobile ’Mechs or ’Mechs with an unconscious warrior forced to make a Piloting Skill Roll—such as when shut down due to overheating—automatically fail the roll.

During the phase when the reactor shuts down the TN modifier for PSR is +3, it's not an automatic failure.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2017, 19:07:35 by CrazyGrasshopper »

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 20 January 2017, 18:49:03 »
Open Beta
pg93: Ostwar

Suggested Quirk:

Vestigial Hands

Reason:
Judging from the art in JHS:3076 and TRO:3085, both SRM-4's shovels and Streak SRM-4' sprouts seem capable of simple tasks.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2017, 19:10:20 by CrazyGrasshopper »

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 20 January 2017, 18:51:42 »
pg101 M-Pod
M-Pod is not Point-Blank, hence should not get PD designation.

Also, why PD and not PB, for Point-Blank?
They're Point Defense, and I think Point Blank pertains to units that can make those types of attacks (namely, infantry).
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #38 on: 20 January 2017, 18:57:23 »
Open Beta
pg92: Hoplite

Only on the oldest art it does not have a waist (arguably). On all newer art it does (clearly in H:OK, TRO:3039, XTRO:Mercs).

Suggestion:
Remove the No Torso Twist quirk.
« Last Edit: 20 January 2017, 19:10:51 by CrazyGrasshopper »

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 20 January 2017, 18:59:29 »
They're Point Defense, and I think Point Blank pertains to units that can make those types of attacks (namely, infantry).

"PD: Point-Blank. Point-blank weapons can only be used against targets in the same or adjacent hexes."

Though, I get the logic. M-Pod still does not qualify.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 20 January 2017, 21:40:08 »
Beta
pg95 Quirks list
Thunderbolt entry.

In Primitives III the Thunderbolt receives the Multi-Trac quirk. Wouldn't the Production model keep this as well? The basic weapons load is the same. There is nothing in the fluff between Prim III, 3025, or 3039 that would account for the quirk on any model, but the primitive has it and I don't see why Earthwerks would change the targeting software that drastically to have removed said quirk.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 20 January 2017, 22:50:28 »
Here's another post in the "I think this mech should have a quirk that you didn't give" column.

Hatamotos should have "Easy to Maintain", imo.  Based on TRO entries in 3039 and 3050U.  And logically that Hatamotos are heavily modified Chargers, which DO have the quirk already.

3050U: Mentions that Hatamotos have "spacious cavities" that are "easy to reconfigure".
3039: The notable pilot entry is actually not a Hatamoto pilot.  The LCAF pilot is notable precisely because Hatamotos are so easy to repair... she killed the same Hatamoto over and over in the same battle only to see it quickly repaired and put back into action every time.

also: not that it's the BattleMech Manual's focus, but customizing a mech involves lots of repair rolls.  Between the 3050U comment and the existence of so many canonical variations on the Hatamoto, it's clearly something that's easily redesigned/customized.  Again, the entire line is basically a totemized Charger afterall.  Ergo, it's easy to make lots of repair rolls on a Hatamoto and that sounds very appropo for the quirk :)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #42 on: 20 January 2017, 23:09:50 »
My memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I would suggest the Fenris/Ice Ferret for the coveted Narrow/Low Profile quirk, as well as the Compact Mech quirk. If I recall correctly from the novel DRT, there is a scene where two Fenris are stored in the same mech bay aboard a dropship.

(Anybody who actually has access to the book, feel free to correct me).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

CampaignAnon

• Sergeant
  • Living the Meme...
« Reply #43 on: 20 January 2017, 23:23:09 »
Here's another post in the "I think this mech should have a quirk that you didn't give" column.

Hatamotos should have "Easy to Maintain", imo.  Based on TRO entries in 3039 and 3050U.  And logically that Hatamotos are heavily modified Chargers, which DO have the quirk already.

3050U: Mentions that Hatamotos have "spacious cavities" that are "easy to reconfigure".
3039: The notable pilot entry is actually not a Hatamoto pilot.  The LCAF pilot is notable precisely because Hatamotos are so easy to repair... she killed the same Hatamoto over and over in the same battle only to see it quickly repaired and put back into action every time.
Yeah I can agree with Easy to Maintain.

also: not that it's the BattleMech Manual's focus, but customizing a mech involves lots of repair rolls.  Between the 3050U comment and the existence of so many canonical variations on the Hatamoto, it's clearly something that's easily redesigned/customized.  Again, the entire line is basically a totemized Charger afterall.  Ergo, it's easy to make lots of repair rolls on a Hatamoto and that sounds very appropo for the quirk :)
Er, that's what the Modular Weapons (Torso Weapons) quirk is referencing. Since most of the canon variants of the original Hatamoto shuffled the torso weapons, that's what got the quirk.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 20 January 2017, 23:31:21 »
Suggestion: Accurate Weapon perk for the Thorn's LRM 5.

TRO2750 (1989), p18: "The Zeus Long-Range Missile system is extremely accurate, and the arm mount allows the pilot to switch targets quickly. If damaged, the entire system can be replaced in a few hours ..."

Should the LRM get the modular weapon perk as well? I'm not 100% clear on the rules from StratOps.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 21 January 2017, 01:24:43 »
I don't think so for the modular quirk, but I do agree with the accurate weapon quirk for the Thorn. I think this was one of the things that was left out for the entry in 3039. The reason for my original question.

Bren

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #46 on: 21 January 2017, 02:56:40 »
Suggestion: Timberwolf 'Pryde'; Accurate Weapon (ER Small Laser), Improved Targeting (ER Small Laser), Stabilized Weapon (ER Small Laser)

O:-)

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
Re: BattleMech Manual
« Reply #47 on: 21 January 2017, 09:19:44 »
In my opinion, no.  Since quirks aren't tournament legal, and the point of this book is to cover TL rules.  It's a bonus. 
But certainly the Atlas III by itself is not missing.  If you want to request all units, go for it. You're welcome to your own opinion, and they've asked for your opinion.

Suggestion: All 'Mechs be listed on the BATTLEMECH QUIRK TABLE
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #48 on: 21 January 2017, 13:06:34 »
OK, so if you are catching up on questions, I do have one from page 31, Indirect Fire and TAG. I will quote the rules here:

This leads to my question.

Mech A is TAGging enemy Mech 1.

If Mech A then spots Mech 1 for Mech B to indirect fire on (using Semi-guided missiles because otherwise TAG is useless for IF), does this mean that Mech B has the follwoing Modifiers for Attacking (Using  G.A.T.O.R.):

G: Base Gunner
A: Mech B's Attacker Movement Modifier
T: Not calculated as Using Semi-Guided Missiles with TAG elimiates (page 31)
O: +1 To hit for IF not calcuated (page 31, Semi-Guided), +1 for Spotter IS added because the spotter is the TAGger?
R: Range Modifiers

If that is indeed true, then I am correct in assuming if the TAGger does not then spot but say Mech G spots instead (and performs no attack) then the +1 for Spotter attacking is not added at step O of G.A.T.O.R.?

If Mech A both TAGs and spots for IF:

Mech B has a +2 penalty to attack
(+1 IF penalty, +1 more because the spotter counts as having attacked that turn, as per BMM p. 113)

If Mech A TAGs and non-attacking Mech G spots for IF:

Mech B has a +1 penalty to attack
(+1 IF penalty)

I hope this clarifies things: let me know if I missed a point.  As far as I can tell there's nothing in the rules that would make me thing Mech B would receive additional penalties in scenario 2.  Can you explain why you thought so?  Do you think this needs a clarifier anywhere?  if so, could you suggest the exact spot and some idea of what the wording might be (even just rough)?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #49 on: 21 January 2017, 14:47:16 »
If Mech A both TAGs and spots for IF:

Mech B has a +2 penalty to attack
(+1 IF penalty, +1 more because the spotter counts as having attacked that turn, as per BMM p. 113)

If Mech A TAGs and non-attacking Mech G spots for IF:

Mech B has a +1 penalty to attack
(+1 IF penalty)

I hope this clarifies things: let me know if I missed a point.  As far as I can tell there's nothing in the rules that would make me thing Mech B would receive additional penalties in scenario 2.  Can you explain why you thought so?  Do you think this needs a clarifier anywhere?  if so, could you suggest the exact spot and some idea of what the wording might be (even just rough)?

Kind of.

First my apologies as I know this us confusing.

Based on the rules, if Mech A tags and Mech G spots, Mech B does not get the +1 penalty based on Tagging and Indirdct Fire Rules.

But what I am asking is if Mech A tags and then spots a seperate target (Mech A tags a Jenner but then Spots a Hunchback), would a +1 penalty then apply for Indirect Fire against the hunchback?

Based on the rules on Page 31 it can be argued either way.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #50 on: 21 January 2017, 15:07:34 »
Ah, I see now.  The statement on p. 31 says:

"However, a ’Mech can spot for indirect fire and TAG a target in the same turn;"

There's no specifying the same target or anything in that sentence (spot" and "tag a target" are generic / without qualifiers in this phrase).  So yes, if a mech tags one target and spots another target, it's still the same as if it tags and spots the same target as far as the guy making the actual attack is concerned.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2017, 18:13:04 by Xotl »

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #51 on: 21 January 2017, 15:27:40 »
Ah, I see now.  The statement on p. 31 says:

"However, a ’Mech can spot for indirect fire and TAG a target in the same turn;"

There's no specifying the same target or anything in that sentence (spot" and "tag a target" are genericin this phrase).  So yes, if a mech tags one target and spots another target, it's still the same as if it tags and spots the same target as far as the guy making the actual attack is concerned.

Yep what I thought. Just wanted to clarify as it could be interpreted the other way.

Maybe a qualifier of even if the tag and target are two different mechs
« Last Edit: 21 January 2017, 15:30:53 by NeonKnight »

CampaignAnon

• Sergeant
  • Living the Meme...
« Reply #52 on: 21 January 2017, 16:01:05 »
So the Tarantula has Extended Torso Twist as a quirk. That normal does nothing for a quad, but are we going to allow the Tarantula to twist one hexside, or change the quirk?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #53 on: 21 January 2017, 17:29:41 »
So the Tarantula has Extended Torso Twist as a quirk. That normal does nothing for a quad, but are we going to allow the Tarantula to twist one hexside, or change the quirk?

I say use it as an example of how quirks can override normal rules. Something like: "Normally, a quad 'Mech cannot torso-twist at all. However, the Tarantula has Extended Torso Twist. In this case - and in others where a quirk grants an ability the unit normally lacks - the quirk completely overrides the standard rules, and the Tarantula can torso-twist two hex sides just as if it were a bipedal 'Mech with the same quirk."
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 21 January 2017, 18:22:31 »
Suggestion
To add an example of TAG use on pp.112-113, which clarifies which bonuses it gives when combined with Semi-guided missiles. Both for direct and indirect fire.

I think that the moral of the TAG rules discussion is that a comprehensive example is needed. I really lacked one in TW, and now BattleMech Manual doesn't have one either.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #55 on: 21 January 2017, 18:28:54 »

Going by a Straight reading of the Quirk, which states a Mech can increase it's twist by one or two hex sides, maybe clean up the wording to state a mech can increase the number of hex sides it can twist by one.

Therefore a Quad with 0 torso twist increase by 1 to 1

A Normal mech increase torso twist also by one, but this now changes a torso twist of 1 to 2 hex sides.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #56 on: 21 January 2017, 20:57:51 »
Battlemech manual

Page 14
Example text for jumping

States there are two paths not covered 1-5-6-8 and 4-5-3-8.

Path 1-5-6-8 is impossible as 6 does not border 8. Path should read 1-5-7-8.

Orin

• Recruit
« Reply #57 on: 21 January 2017, 21:09:59 »
When reading the PDF on some tablets (including my iPad pro), I'm having trouble reading the last few lines of black text on some pages due to the dark "theme" dirt/stain printed as the page background. Would appreciate it if the dirt/stain was made a bit lighter so that the black text was always highly readable.

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #58 on: 22 January 2017, 01:03:16 »
Page 86, Stabilized Weapon quirk description:

It states that "If the ’Mech runs (or sprints, if using the optional Sprinting rules; see p. 15) all Target Numbers for that weapon receive a –1 modifier."

Sprinting on page 15 states that "A ’Mech that sprints may not make any deliberate attacks that turn. Accidental charges as a result of skidding are still possible, and a ’Mech may still fire weapons to generate heat, though such firing has no chance of doing damage."

The mention of sprinting seems to be in error since deliberate ranged attacks at a specific target cannot be performed while sprinting, meaning that the -1 modifier will never come into play.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2017, 01:06:25 by theothersarah »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #59 on: 22 January 2017, 01:20:33 »
I forget exactly which ones, but there are units whose unique abilities allow them to fire while sprinting. I can only assume this was meant to cover those cases.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll