Author Topic: Call To War: 10th Marik Militia  (Read 8214 times)

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
Call To War: 10th Marik Militia
« on: 08 September 2015, 00:48:00 »
What the Hell am I doing?  I don't even play Alpha Strike!  But I am a sucker for forum-wide painting events.  And so, despite having a substantial bevy of Infinity miniatures already scattered across my painting desk, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring here and paint (in some cases, repaint) some of my 10th Militia 'Mechs.

Now I don't know if the formations I built are any good in AS.  All I'm really using that rule set for is the lance formations and point values; in terms of matching 'Mechs into lances for the purpose of the Call to War, my criteria were

1. lance composition makes sense in Total Warfare terms
2. stay WYSIWYG

So let's take a look at what I ended up with.  First, I wanted to go with the Operation Guerrero timeframe.  That was the campaign that put the FWLM back on the map, internationally, after their abysmal showing in the 4th Succession War and the internal troubles with Andurien.  On the downside, I can't canonically include anything from my small battle armor collection; neither Achileus or Longinus suits saw combat during Guerrero, just IS Standard (none of which I own).  Boooooo.

To start with, I decided to build around a core of an Assault Lance.  Actually piecing it together within the confines of AS' unit types. . . not so easy while still working within the confines of what I already own (I've promised the better half not to buy anything new until everything I've got is painted).  I started off with the classic BattleMaster, one of the few assault 'Mechs the FWLM has in relatively large numbers.  I paired this BLR-3M with another relatively speedy close-quarters assault 'Mech, the Grand Titan.  Now they're both Brawlers, which means that now I have to dip into a different pool for the rest of the lance.  The only Juggernaut I own is a Stalker -- not sexy enough for my purposes -- so decided to go the double-Sniper route instead.  First choice was an Awesome, but much to my horror discovered that the AWS-9M is also a Brawler!  What?!?  The -9Q, on the other hand, does qualify as a Sniper. . . as does the grand daddy mean mugger of them all, the AS7-K Atlas.  Although their speed bands are different, the lance design does actually make some sense; the Atlas provides long-range fire support, the Awesome provides medium-range fire support, and the Grand Titan and BattleMaster close with the enemy.

As a heavy-rated regiment, I decided that a heavy lance would be the most obvious thing included, so that's where I went next.  In a bit of switch, I decided that instead of building what I personally consider a "stock" heavy lance -- 4/6/X movement with plenty of guns -- that I'd go for something a little more maneuverable.  The result is a Heavy Striker lance, led off with by an ANV-3M Anvil.  I'm more a fan of the -3R's better armor protection, but that's out of scope for the timeframe.  Eh.  I decided to pair it with its equally speedy TRO3055 brother, the HRC-LS-9000 Hercules.  To keep in the same speed bracket and bring in another Marik classic, I decided to make room for an WVR-7M Wolverine.  I'm such a huge fan of the -6M that I considered taking it instead, but two large lasers are better than one.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find another speedy heavy 'Mech in my collection that I liked.  I almost went for a Grand Dragon, but in the end, I compromised by selecting a design that, while slower than its lancemates, makes up for it with a long-range primary weapon and jump jets so at least it can keep up in close terrain.  That 'Mech?  The TMP-3M Tempest.  Plus, the Tempest's TRO entry specifies that it sees heavy use in the Marik Militias, so it just seemed like a good fit.

I didn't have enough points left over for another heavy lance, or even a very good medium one.  I considered switching it up and taking a full lance of Galleons, but again, the points just weren't there (GAL-102s are each as expensive as a high-end light or low-end medium 'Mech.  Wow!).  So a light lance, detached to my heavy force from the Running Rebels Recon Company!  I started off with one of my personal favorite Marik lights, the Spider (in this case, the pulse laser-equipped SDR-7M).  I next went for another classic, the LCT-3M Locust.  Unfortunately my Unseen collection focuses almost entirely on not-light-'Mechs, so I had to pull out the Reseen -5M model for this one.  Keeping with the high-speed theme, I arrived next at the HER-1S Hermes and it was at this point that I again ran into a pickle.  I didn't have any other light 'Mech models.  I've got a Reseen Stinger buried in a box somewhere, but that's about it, and 23 points to spend.  Oh, the Hermes II!  The -5S is 23 points exactly!  That'll work . . . but its slower than everything else.  The older -2M is 7/11, at least.  But 24 points.  In the end, I decided, "screw it" and took the -2M with its faster ground speed.  I'm one point over, but eh.  It's not like I actually play Alpha Strike, is it?

So here's what I've got:

Assault Lance
AS7-K Atlas
AWS-9Q Awesome
BLR-3M BattleMaster
T-IT-N10M Grand Titan

Heavy Striker Lance
ANV-3M Anvil
HRC-LS-9000 Hercules
WVR-7M Wolverine
TMP-3M Tempest

Recon Lance
SDR-7M Spider
LCT-3M Locust
HER-1S Hermes
HER-2M Hermes II

I've got primer drying on a few and three of them are taking a bath to strip the old paint off, so pictures will come later.  Suffice to say, this is the most excited I've been about painting BattleMechs in a while!
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Call To War: 10th Marik Militia
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2015, 01:23:10 »
Looking forward to seeing your take on purple!

Was the Atlas based on what you had to hand? A Cerebus (especially the Manta Ray version) would go well in purple.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2015, 09:54:10 »
It was, yeah.  Always wanted a Cerberus, never got around to getting one...

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2015, 10:25:19 »
I feel like an Atlas will look just fine in purple  :)
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2015, 10:43:46 »
I'm loving how many different factions and regiments/Clusters are showing up in this event. I really look forward to seeing these!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2015, 17:16:56 »
We really need an AlphaMek game engine, for want of a better label ...
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2015, 19:51:21 »
No, thanks.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2015, 20:19:42 »
We'll never play any of these units against each other, otherwise. Just an idle thought.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2015, 20:21:27 »
With any luck, at least two armies will face each other in January.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2015, 20:35:33 »
And if JPArbiter weighs in with his potential idea for one, another two could square off in December/January as well.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2015, 21:41:46 »
Both of mine will be facing each other in February. ;)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2015, 22:54:59 »
Don't worry, I have Plans. ;)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2015, 06:32:59 »
Hopefully. Although I might consider upgrading it to a modern version, just to keep it timeline appropriate.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2015, 22:37:51 »
Good use of points here.  My unit is pretty light!   :D

I am also looking forward to seeing how you paint up purple miniatures.  I plan on starting my introbox plastics and making my first set pink and purple.

I'm loving how many different factions and regiments/Clusters are showing up in this event. I really look forward to seeing these!

Me too.

When I move into my new house, Cowboys From Hell and Litany Against Fear are going to fight.   >:D
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2015, 21:52:39 »
Ok, so.  I've been a bit busy of late, but I finally some photos taken and uploaded.  So first up, here's a group shot of the whole company.  Since this pic was taken, the three un-primed 'Mechs have been primed and are awaiting their first layer of purple.

And here's a close up of the WVR and BLR, which received test coats.  They're not complete, but fairly close and should give an inkling of how the whole force will come out looking.  Flash on (which really brightens up what is otherwise a medium-darkish purple):

Flash off:

I chose to go with the traditional Marik Militia practice of stripes rather than distinct colored armor panels for the accent; I think it just looks a lot better than the more recent panel style introduced in FM:FWL.  I also decided that some 'Mechs will get some white highlights on weapon casings -- mostly box-launchers and handhelds -- to break up the wall of purple and add a dash of personalization to the force.  So yeah, progress made!
« Last Edit: 20 September 2015, 21:54:45 by The Eagle »

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2015, 01:06:55 »
They look great. The white contrast well with the purple. 

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 11 December 2015, 16:41:20 »
Right, so, time is running out!  I'll be away from home starting on the 18th to the end of the month, so I want to get everything finished before I leave on Christmas vacation.  The good news is that I have not been idle, despite the lack of updates.  The entire recon lance is complete, and all I have left to do on the Heavy Striker Lance is to do the stripe on the Herc.  That leaves the Awesome, Atlas, and Grand Titan left to paint.  Almost there. . .

To the painting table!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 11 December 2015, 16:49:51 »
 O0

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2017, 18:36:21 »
I realized not so long ago that this project got put on hold and just...never finished.  Which is a shame because I was so close to finishing it.  So I'm going to close it out.  The only 'Mechs left are the Atlas and Awesome, with a few more needing a little highlighting on their cockpits.  Give me a week and I'm going to actually finish this company.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2017, 23:40:00 »
Finally, finished.

Group shot:

Assault Lance:

Heavy Lance:

Light Lance:

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2017, 01:08:24 »
Very nice! And hey, better late than never.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2017, 15:08:15 »
Thanks, Colonel.  I actually tried my hand a wet-blending for the first time in close to a decade on the BattleMaster's cockpit.  That much glass didn't look right until I blended it all together.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2017, 14:39:31 »
*nods* Yeah, the canopy on the old 'Master is tricky. You did a fantastic job with yours.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 17 April 2017, 19:20:15 »
Thanks! O0

Mwenski

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 27 April 2017, 22:41:38 »
Awesome! Good job finishing those up and posting them. It was worth the wait.  Any tips for somebody else who's looking to go purple?

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 29 April 2017, 13:45:33 »
Well, I don't find it a particularly difficult color to paint; whites and yellows require you to spend a lot of time building up from a dark base (I prime everything in black as a matter of course), but the purple doesn't.  In many ways, it's like painting green for me: an appropriate base coat in a dark shade over black primer takes a few thin coats to really set the tone, but after that, they look pretty decent applied straight on after that.