Author Topic: Exaltedtech [Alternative Setting]  (Read 4622 times)

Nester64

• Private
Exaltedtech [Alternative Setting]
« on: 21 April 2017, 15:06:36 »
This is just a silly little project of mine, a way to build Battletech's big robots by the rules of Creation. It's still early in the project, but I welcome commentary and feedback!

Backstory and prototype rules conversion:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OcmiCCsAPnIRexWYymZ2mQoIGLPvboU0pmFEJ2dPdJs/edit?usp=sharing

Technical Manual:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RJcz8EK-To9qubwi6sl2lMKpJ-tzhG3pqPYg3ll_FNk/edit?usp=sharing

Setting Gazetteer:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KltaxE0_zzqsJQYQqgOhnTmk2RaJwwxC9GAM-OJExBE/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: 30 April 2017, 18:19:25 by Nester64 »

Nester64

• Private
Re: Exaltedtech [Alternative Setting]
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2017, 15:08:14 »
Tech Manual moved to Google Doc
« Last Edit: 27 April 2017, 17:34:51 by Nester64 »

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2017, 15:08:37 »
Gazetteer moved to Google Doc
« Last Edit: 27 April 2017, 17:35:49 by Nester64 »

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2017, 08:22:52 »
How much would anoptimised Dawn be with Dai-Klaive using 2e or 3e?  Do you have a conversion from BT Dmg to Exalted?
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2017, 11:04:10 »
Well, you see, I assumed that, like a lot of different forms of conflict in the Exalted setting, the context of the conflict would change the nature of the conflict. There's individual martial or social combat, then there's mass martial or social combat, and when individual cities and states have reason for conflict they fight in their own distinct way, too.

Which meant that when I plug Exaltedtech into the setting, I was kinda assuming that conflicts involving mechs would take that context. But I forgot about the Exalts. I forgot that it is possible, nay, likely, that a Solar would look at a walking pile of guns, armor, and bad attitude, made out of thousands of pounds of steel and magical materials, and think,

"The optimal strategy in this situation is to hit it with my sword."

"...Really hard."

So, off the top of my head, lets come up with a new type of damage, Mech-scale damage, or M for short. The Damage of every weapon in Battletech will be suffixed by this tag.

For example, the small laser now does 3M damage.

The conversion rates for this damage in other contexts, like character vs. battlemech, as follows:

1M -> 5L
1A -> 1M
5L -> 1M
10B -> 1M

So, unspecified aggravated damage is just as potent against battlemechs, and heroes have to work pretty hard to hurt mechs.

This is only for small-scale conflicts, or characters acting as solo units in a Mech-scale battle. Like mass combat, the presence of a whole lance can force ther context on the battle. Same as an angry mob against a bandit with a mech, the mob becomes units of infantry with appropriate record sheets.

This is only a first draft, but I think It should work. I based my calculations off of the concussive essence cannon in Wonders of the Lost Age, figuring that a Large CEC is roughly equivalent to a small laser.

If this works, I'll add it to the first post. Thanks for asking!
« Last Edit: 22 April 2017, 11:09:44 by Nester64 »

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2017, 14:19:45 »
The first part of the technical manual is up. I'm rather proud of what I did to the gauss rifle

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2017, 15:13:50 »
Added missiles. I don't know which way to go next, so if you have a favorite system you want me to define or a defferent facet of the setting you have questions about, just ask, and I'll be happy to add them to the appropriate sections.

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2017, 09:54:52 »
I like so far. Are you using 3e or 2e?  3e pretty much gets rid of soak for a finishing move affect. 2e is cool because we still have hit/Dmg ratio, with defense put in between. How would you go with conversions to personal dmg scale, i.e. Battle armor /MD vs Exalts? BAR and DV.

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2017, 13:34:07 »
I like so far. Are you using 3e or 2e?  3e pretty much gets rid of soak for a finishing move affect. 2e is cool because we still have hit/Dmg ratio, with defense put in between. How would you go with conversions to personal dmg scale, i.e. Battle armor /MD vs Exalts? BAR and DV.

2e, as I understand that system a little better and it lends itself better to module incorporation. (3e lends itself more toward a cinematic style of combat, and I think that it would be better at scaling, I like the shifting initiative mechanics and they make more sense when applied to things like strategic or economic conflicts, but I'm digressing.)

Things like battle armor and soak present interesting challenges for conversion. Like I said above, I'm assuming that when my players interact with Exaltedtech, they're doing it on its terms. When a player gets their mech shot out from under them, though, what they do next can matter a lot.

Since I prefer minimal changes, lets say vanilla armors and exaltedtech battle armors are separate things. Vanilla armor, even power armor, is part of the character and is treated as such, while battle armors are mech-scale equipment and are treated as such.

So, let's pit a gunzosha against an elemental. When the elemental attacks the gunzosha, his attacks are converted to lethal damage and absorbed/soaked appropriately. When the gunzosha attacks the elemental, the attacks are converted to mech damage and the elemental loses armor appropriately. When the elemental takes its last hit, the damage is applied to the character wearing it and the character loses the elemental armor. I don't have access to dice at the moment, but I think this might mean that the elemental has the advantage... though that does make sense, as elementals carry heavier equipment than gunzosha do.

As far as support vehicles are concerned, damage is converted to mech damage before being calculated, so that shouldn't require too much work.

Basically, if its a battletech thing convert to mech damage before calculating. Battletech's concept of damage points is simpler than Exalted 2e's, though critical hits complicate matters a little. Also, how much damage would dissonance do if a character lets his beck overcharge? It would be some kind of unaspected environmental damage, but I'll have to think on that a little.

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2017, 16:31:23 »
First parts of the setting gazetteer are up.

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2017, 20:18:19 »
Basically, if its a battletech thing convert to mech damage before calculating. Battletech's concept of damage points is simpler than Exalted 2e's, though critical hits complicate matters a little. Also, how much damage would dissonance do if a character lets his beck overcharge? It would be some kind of unaspected environmental damage, but I'll have to think on that a little.

I didn't understand the last part.  What is a beck?  Also, remember, Battletech crits are a hit location thing, but ATOW also has MoS added to dmg, just like exalted does with successes.

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2017, 20:59:11 »
I didn't understand the last part.  What is a beck?  Also, remember, Battletech crits are a hit location thing, but ATOW also has MoS added to dmg, just like exalted does with successes.

Sorry, I meant to say "mech" not "beck". I don't know how I said "beck"

Also, I'm completely ignoring AToW on this. Either players are playing the game in exalted mode, or they're playing the game in total war mode. Adding a third ruleset would muck this up too much.

Prototype conversion rules:
Code: [Select]
Piloting Skill = 13 - (Dexterity or Wits) - (Ride or Sail) [minimum 1]
Gunnery Skill = 13 - (Dexterity or Wits) - (Archery or Martial Arts or War) [minimum 1]
Any damage done to the character as a pilot is dealt in Mech-scale damage, convert accordingly and apply to character sheet.

Damage from Dissonance is treated as an environmental effect that bypasses armored soak and natural soak, but may be reduced or soaked by methods that specifically deal with dissonance, active essence, tainted essence, or similar effects,
 such as alchemically-treated MechWarrior leathers.

Battlemechs are poor essence conduits, so many charms and spells may not interact well. Anything that adds damage to attacks would be converted to mech scale before applying, for example, but most if not all invulnerability charms would simply fail. Ride or Sail charms may apply with storyteller discretion.

I'm thinking of sketching a Martial Art that uses BattleMechs as Form weapons and armor, but that might be too much.

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2017, 21:34:17 »
OK, I understand now.  Cool!! O0

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 26 April 2017, 09:37:33 »
I've wrote some equivalents for different engine types, but I'm not too satisfied with how they turned out. Some feedback would be appreciated.

Fission Engine -> Omen-Weather Engine
It is a well-known fact amongst demonologists that the essence of Creation curdles in the presence of certain species of demon. This results in omen-weather, rains of frogs or hails of beozars or sleets of bile or stranger phenomena. This is a well-known fact in the Demon-City, as well. Forging the more unfortunate of those species together with materials imported from Creation into brazen mechanisms creates a device that produces endless streams of this weird precipitation. The product is cycled through a turbine to provide mechanical power. These devices are commonly used in Malfeas, and sometimes used in Creation, as well.

The mechanical power produced by these engines are of little direct use to BattleMechs, but can be used to power banks of prayer wheels installed into the machines alongside them. The essence siphoned off from such assemblies can certainly meet a Mech’s needs. While users of these engines can tolerate the occasional discharge of frogs, blood, or worse, it’s the chance, however slim, of the escape of the demons that drive the engines and problems that follow such an occurrence that kept these devices from becoming more widespread across the Sea of Mists.

ICE / Fuel Cell -> Incense Drive / Altar Drive
There are many sources of concentrated essence, whether natural essence tokens or alchemically distilled elixirs. It’s only logical to exploit them to fuel a BattleMech ravenous need. Incense Drives are simply large and heavy geomantically sealed chambers where these fuels can release their essence safely. The rush of free essence creates dissonance in a BattleMech’s systems, though.

Altar Drives are similar, but are ritually dedicated to a deity. This may be a directional war godess, or a local deity whose territory the MechWarrior defends, or practically any other god that can be found, most will not turn down the offer. Many functions of an Incense Drive can be offloaded to the deity, reducing weight. The divine resonance also allows the mech to operate more harmoniously. However, the god will take his share of the offered essence, reducing fuel efficiency

Neither drive, however, can support more than the most basic artificial chi network. Essence weapons need to be equipped with essence accumulators in order to function properly if powered by such devices.

Omen-weather engine partially works because demons = dangerous, but the execution I borrowed is far too mechanical in nature, unfitting for the equivalence of a high-tech engine. I suppose I could just use a bound demon, period, for the engine, but that seems almost too simple...

The fuel-driven engines disappoint me because they seem a little too much of a stretch...

Speedbump

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2017, 15:56:06 »

Prototype conversion rules:
Code: [Select]
Snip
I'm vaguely familiar with the rules of Exalted and I think you may run into issues with this. It works fine on the high end; The Dex 5, Archery 5 and Specialization (Battlemech guns) 3 of your exalt translating to a 0 gunnery in 'Battletech mode'. But if you try to translate what exalted would call an elite soldier you'd be lucky to hit what Battletech would call green. I'm not entirely sure what to suggest on this one as there isn't exactly an organic way to convert Exalted's 1-13 range (excluding charms) into Battletech's 8-0 range.

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2017, 17:28:21 »
You've got a point. Maybe I'll bump it down to 11...

What's a good range for pilot skill levels? Green 8-7, Trained 6-5, etc?

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 27 April 2017, 17:37:30 »
I moved everything to google docs, for easier modification by myself, and commentary by readers.

Speedbump

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 28 April 2017, 14:40:38 »
You've got a point. Maybe I'll bump it down to 11...

What's a good range for pilot skill levels? Green 8-7, Trained 6-5, etc?
A default generic Inner Sphere Mechwarrior (called Regular) has gunnery 4 and piloting 5(normally just written 4/5). That's the default assumption and better or worse Mechwarriors apply a percentage modifier to the Mech's battle value if you're playing points based match.

Getting worse that that a generic Green Mechwarrior is 5/6 representing someone who has successfully completed their training, but hasn't actually got practical battlefield experience or years of Mech use behind them. Worse than that is the realm of trainees and true amateurs, with 8/8 representing someone who knows the controls, but not much else.

Looking the other way you progress to Veterans at 3/4 who are generally exactly what it says on the tin. They've got serious experience, but aren't beyond what a normal Mechwarrior might eventually aspire to match. At 2/3 Elites are something special and most Mechwarriors will never be this good, but there's still enough of them that the main factions can form decent scale formation of them. "Super Elites" who are even better than that do exist but they are not at all common even on the scale of interstellar nations. They extend down to 0/0 which is the best skill level that is allowed under the current rules.

Of course these are average rating for wargaming convenience. If playing a more story based game it's common to vary things up so your force averages out at around their intended experience level. There's no rule that says they have to be better at shooting than piloting, it's simply the norm. Also Clan Mechwarriors are all on average one step better than this, with their Regulars being a match for Inner Sphere Veterans ect.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2017, 14:51:28 by Speedbump »

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 28 April 2017, 17:24:12 »
A default generic Inner Sphere Mechwarrior (called Regular) has gunnery 4 and piloting 5(normally just written 4/5). That's the default assumption and better or worse Mechwarriors apply a percentage modifier to the Mech's battle value if you're playing points based match.

Getting worse that that a generic Green Mechwarrior is 5/6 representing someone who has successfully completed their training, but hasn't actually got practical battlefield experience or years of Mech use behind them. Worse than that is the realm of trainees and true amateurs, with 8/8 representing someone who knows the controls, but not much else.

Looking the other way you progress to Veterans at 3/4 who are generally exactly what it says on the tin. They've got serious experience, but aren't beyond what a normal Mechwarrior might eventually aspire to match. At 2/3 Elites are something special and most Mechwarriors will never be this good, but there's still enough of them that the main factions can form decent scale formation of them. "Super Elites" who are even better than that do exist but they are not at all common even on the scale of interstellar nations. They extend down to 0/0 which is the best skill level that is allowed under the current rules.

Of course these are average rating for wargaming convenience. If playing a more story based game it's common to vary things up so your force averages out at around their intended experience level. There's no rule that says they have to be better at shooting than piloting, it's simply the norm. Also Clan Mechwarriors are all on average one step better than this, with their Regulars being a match for Inner Sphere Veterans ect.

That really helps a bunch! I think I'll set the adjustment factor to to 11. I expect well-trained mechwarriors to have around 3 in relevant attributes and abilities, which makes for a 5/5 on average, not counting anybody who specializes in 'mech operations.

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 28 April 2017, 20:10:37 »
Clans are up, in the Gazetteer. I'd like some feedback, as I've taken some liberties regarding events and personalities due to the Exalted setting.

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 30 April 2017, 19:09:58 »
I fixed the links in the first post. I wish somebody had mentioned they were broken...

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 30 April 2017, 20:34:27 »
I was looking at your damage conversion and I actually think that you might want to add a soak to BT damage.  I say Soak Equal to 10L/B, Make bashing more effective than Cutting and stabbing with AP and other stuff adding there effects. That way it actually brings it into line with Exalted rule set.  What ya think?

Nester64

• Private
« Reply #22 on: 30 April 2017, 21:25:04 »
I was looking at your damage conversion and I actually think that you might want to add a soak to BT damage.  I say Soak Equal to 10L/B, Make bashing more effective than Cutting and stabbing with AP and other stuff adding there effects. That way it actually brings it into line with Exalted rule set.  What ya think?

That's a very good idea, I think. I'll that to the rules. Thanks for the suggestion!

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2017, 14:13:24 »
You're basing off the big 2.5 errata update, correct? The big issue with 2E Exalted is one of lethality and the fact it easily falls into Paranoia Combat (also called "Chungian").

Still, pretty cool to see a fellow Exalted fan out in the BattleTech fandom.

Anyway, thought I'd share this little gem I picked up years ago.