Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
you also have to balance the cost of using multiple smaller boxes compared to using a bigger box.. while costs go up fast with bigger boxes, the cost of smaller boxes includes al to of the same base costs (to process, load into vehicles, etc), and unless the box is very big, it is likely that two smaller boxes is probably going to cost more in S&H than an equal volume of a single larger box. because you are paying the baseline fee components for two boxes instead of one. 
Just saw somewhere that the Davion book got delayed yo June. That sucks.
If Daoshen pulls the goalie, there!s about 20 CCAF units that could get involved.

There’s two triarii and two fides units to account for that won their last fight or didn’t fight in Shattered fortress or ilclan.

And five ish DC units near Terra.

IKEO could namecheck a lot of units.
Aerospace Combat / Re: Fleet Recon
« Last post by AlphaMirage on Today at 19:50:56 »
Yeah I think however that any shortcuts would need to be preapproved by the planetary leadership prior to arrival via HPG or scheduled via courier. The sudden appearance of unidentified vessels would be treated as a highest alert. The thing with shortcuts is that you still have like at least 5 days of recharge time between jumps so it would only be really worthwhile on world with a really long transit (>10 days).

These long transit or high capacity nodes probably have their own dedicated jump point to planet dropships and a transshipment/customs station near the jump point for maximum efficiency or are not visited as often due to their commercial nonviability. This might however make them excellent systems to serve as Fleet Anchorages due to the faster (due to a larger star) recharge period and the fact that you just need to watch the pirate point and have a long time to detect incoming hostiles, plus your enemy needs to carry more supplies in order to attack them.
Where were these posted?
Definitely true, but you can put a lot of force packs in a box that's less than or equal to 165" length and girth combined with the longest side no more than 108".

UPS only charges extra if it's bigger than that and there's no reason for them to be trying to put everything into 1 giant box for bigger orders.

Those are the rules for oversize packages, and they only charge that surcharge for those (if memory serves its pretty steep been awhile since I worked in a DC with product that long). That isn't the same as dimensional weight.

A 20x20x20 box that weighs 5 lbs. will be a lot more expensive to ship than a 12x8x4 box that weighs 5 lbs. In the quote I ran on the UPS website it was almost 3 times as expensive, 39.32 vs. 13.30.

Where it gets interesting is that a 12x8x4 package that weighs 2 lbs. would cost 13.25, and at 20 lbs. the 20x20x20 box would cost 39.32 just like the 5 lbs. package.

It makes sense when you consider how much space it takes up on the truck because you could fit several 12x8x4 packages in the footprint of a 20x20x20 box.
MechWarrior Hall / Re: Word Association 36: SAY WHAT AGAIN!!!
« Last post by rebs on Today at 19:24:59 »
steel
Aerospace Combat / Re: Fleet Recon
« Last post by Cannonshop on Today at 18:58:54 »
I do find it weird that in naval combat characters are still surprised when an enemy fleet pops out of a pirate point.

The concept of a pirate point (IIRC) is derived from the gravity of planets (and other objects) shifting due to ya know drift and rotations around the sun and whatnot. This opens up windows of time where you can jump in and not be ripped apart, or smash into a planet.

Well I mean we can calculate rotations of planets around the sun in today’s technology and I’m pretty sure they were able to do it a long time ago as well. So imagine in the year 3152 (1,000 plus years!) we would have had a LOT of date to extrapolate on how the planets move and therefore ‘seasonal’ pirate points based on that could ‘theoretically’ be VERY easy to calculate.

Obviously not everyone would be perfect but you would assume that large interstellar empires would keep lists of these points around their most important worlds to protect them and at least have a satellite or two aimed in that direction (along with a gun or two). ESPECIALLY worlds settled early in BT History.

ANYWAYS in regards to the original topic: fleet recon in 2776 versus 3152 is obviously different based on available technology and craft. The SLDF could afford to recon with a light Warship squadron or half a dozen Bug surveillance vessels while Alaric Ward can recon with Jumpships or Sea Fox intel. HPG’s obviously help with instant communication but in a time frame like the FedCom Civil War you have to be wary of ComStar (even if they claim they are neutral). A good example of real time intel is the First Succession War and the Battle of Cholame where the Fed Suns had HPG’s on their command ships and they were able to change orders before half the fleet jumped.

Just my two cents

remember these large INTERSTELLAR empires contain large COMMERCIAL empires-for whom, short-cuts in routing and delivery would be valuable enough that even if the central government wasn't keeping the record, it's worth the investment to do so for the private sector.

The money, after all, isn't made by what you're HOLDING in your hold, it's made at two points:
1. where the goods are loaded on
2. where the goods are off-loaded.

the faster you can get goods from 1, to 2, the more money you're going to make, all other factors being equal.  Especially if you're also reducing fuel and consumable usage, because merchies have to pay for all that stuff out of pocket.

Reliable 'tide tables' for your major shipping hubs ends up being worth a LOT-enough that even if the government didn't think the idea's good, (for whatever reasons) the shipping associations, merchant captains, and their corporate clients WOULD pay for that.  Cutting a two week transit at one gee down to a few hours is worth BIG MONEY.
What kind of nuke?

Seems pretty small...

AIR-2 Genie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIR-2_Genie) unguided air-to-air rocket with a 1.5 kiloton W25 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W25_(nuclear_warhead)) warhead on a timer. 6.2 mile (10km) range, 12 second flight time.

In theory, it's aimed and guided by ground control (SAGE) using a collision-course intercept.

In practice, it's a time-delay fuse with an estimated 300m lethal radius, which means uh... you'd need something like 2.25 MOA accuracy firing something with a 12 second flight time from a moving aircraft at another moving aircraft.

My only thought is that maybe the weapons designer was thinking of WW2-style mass bomber fleets and not widely-dispersed nuclear bombers spread out across the sky. I don't recall any reports of testing of the ground-intercept air-to-air rocket combination, but I'd bet any proof of ineffectiveness were quietly lost, other than this case:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160811-the-runaway-drone-that-caused-a-cold-war-air-battle
BattleMechs / Re: Filling in the Syberian AutoMechs (Open Thread)
« Last post by Daryk on Today at 18:37:42 »
If anyone can do that project justice, it's you, good sir! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10