Author Topic: Crescent Hawks Revenge  (Read 6387 times)

Revenant

• Private
Crescent Hawks Revenge
« on: 05 March 2012, 02:38:10 »
I just found my old old copy of Crescent Hawks Revenge- on 5.5 inch floppies.  Don't have the hardware for this.  I'm very nostalgic for the olds days of Battletech.  Is there anyway to obtain another copy? 

MadVoorpak

• Master Sergeant
    • Talking about Tech
Re: Crescent Hawks Revenge
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2012, 02:42:10 »
thats an answer i'd be interested in.

Does anyone know which mechwarrior/battletech games are compatable with modern machines, and or how does one aqquire or get them to work.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2012, 02:57:33 »
I just found my old old copy of Crescent Hawks Revenge- on 5.5 inch floppies.  Don't have the hardware for this.  I'm very nostalgic for the olds days of Battletech.  Is there anyway to obtain another copy?

Don't know if you can get "legal" software copy. Probably not.

Does anyone know which mechwarrior/battletech games are compatable with modern machines, and or how does one aqquire or get them to work.

It depends what's "modern" machine for you. I have Windows XP Pro and I have no problems with running  MechWarrior 2 (Titanium Trilogy with patch), MechWarrior 3 (including expansion), MechWarrior 4 (all three games), both MechCommander 1 and 2 are okay too.

MadVoorpak

• Master Sergeant
    • Talking about Tech
« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2012, 02:59:58 »
I run 7 in the home...

Granted, i do have an Old system i plan on building to run win 95 or something to play the old games i like.

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2012, 03:09:58 »
DOS box will run the Crescent Hawk games if you can find a way to get them onto your computer.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2012, 16:54:49 »
if you can find a copy of the "power hits"
it is mw
CHI (Crescent Hawks Inception)
and
CHR (Crescent Hawks Revenge)

all on 1 cd

you might also see if you can find a copy at GoG (Good Old Games) but I am not 100% sure if its truely whats called abandonware

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2012, 20:26:13 »
...but I am not 100% sure if its truely whats called abandonware

Abandonware is not a legally recognized status for software. It's still piracy.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2012, 13:54:44 »
i got my copy of old ultrabots to work on dosbox...
first i had to copy the whole game into a folder then move the folder after giving it 8 char name into my old games folder and it worked. bit round about way but it works even on windows 7 ultimate

as for abandon wares mw games still float on some of them
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2012, 07:33:11 »
Abandonware is not a legally recognized status for software. It's still piracy.

Indeed but from a moral standpoint, if you already own the game and can not install it because you lack 3.5 inch or 5.25 inch floppy drives is it actually piracy?

Revenant

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2012, 20:05:48 »
Is software considered a patent or copyright?  Patents are 17-25 years.  Copyright = 70.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2012, 20:19:47 »
I'm going to suggest that given that it's a copyright violation, the abandonware discussion come to a screeching halt before Rule 12 has to be invoked.

Is software considered a patent or copyright?  Patents are 17-25 years.  Copyright = 70.

Depends on exactly what you're talking about.  This particular issue is copyright.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2012, 23:17:56 »
Indeed but from a moral standpoint, if you already own the game and can not install it because you lack 3.5 inch or 5.25 inch floppy drives is it actually piracy?

Very grey area here.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

EnochRoot

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2012, 09:22:50 »
Just a side note: GoG is legally allowed (by the publishers of the original games) to sell those games on its site. They have a few of Infocom's text adventures but not the Crescent Hawk titles.
Nothing an orbital bombardment can't fix.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2012, 10:46:08 »
re the obtaining a copy of the data that is on the disks that you cannot read by other means... while peter is right that it technically is a grey area, I can see 2 points of view on the issue.

from the vendors perspective its not their problem that you are unable to access the media you have .... and any attempt to bypass that in some cases could be viewed as piracy.

from the user perspective.  you have a legal copy of the game so "fair use" or the equivalant should allow you to transfer the data to a useable media, as long as you do not share sell or similar, without transferring ownership of the (unusable copy) along with the useable media copy.

note I am not saying I agree or disagree with either perspective and I do not avocate piracy I am just saying that from a certain point of view being unable to use software because the media is incompatable with your computer is in effect (theft by the vendor) unfortunately I am not exactly clear how the legal system views it but then again I have seen some rulings that make me wonder about the legal system from time to time.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2012, 11:29:44 »
Thread locked.
« Last Edit: 11 March 2012, 11:31:30 by Moonsword »

Register