Author Topic: Company - First Federated Suns Armored Calvary  (Read 1475 times)

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Company - First Federated Suns Armored Calvary
« on: 11 September 2017, 16:23:38 »
A project of many months is finally completed.  My very first company in matching canon paint scheme (or at least my best attempt at it  ;) ) the First Federated Suns Armored Calvary.  Sadly no decals.  I'll get there someday. 

I would like to thank everyone who posted tips and advice when I asked for help painting with white.  There many great suggestions and my work benefited from it.  So below we have a photo of the whole company (sorry for the blurries on that one; best my poor cheap camera can do), the pursuit lance, assault lance, and the command lance.  The pursuit lance was done before I started the advice thread.  The other two were done afterwards.  I'll post some individual photos as well.

The hammered copper on all of them was just for fun.  I'd used it on the Scarabus' axe, liked it, and was looking for something to tie the whole company together.  Someday I might come up with some fluff  to explain it in game.

Comments, suggestions, and painful revelations are welcome.

Oh, and on a side note, started playing Alpha Strike with my step-son.  He took this company and flat out destroyed me with it.  Darn kids today... ::)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Company - First Federated Suns Armored Calvary
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2017, 16:32:50 »
 O0

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2017, 16:42:36 »
Some close ups.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2017, 17:00:38 »
Very Nice.

Always a pleasure to see someone new painting large groups (Companies, Battalions...dare I say it...REGIMENTS!)

O0
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2017, 17:11:12 »
Very sharp, Valkyrie! The whites have come out very well.

Minor hint - a ligght black ink wash on the copper parts might add some definition.

What were you fielding against it?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2017, 17:33:40 »
Very Nice.

Always a pleasure to see someone new painting large groups (Companies, Battalions...dare I say it...REGIMENTS!)

O0
One step at a time.  Gotta work up to something like that  ;)

Very sharp, Valkyrie! The whites have come out very well.

Thank you!  But again, could not have done it with out the help.  Really appreciate that.

Minor hint - a ligght black ink wash on the copper parts might add some definition.

Yeah, I was thinking that.  I painted those sections black first, but I was a little heavy with the paint.  I'll wash them after I hit them with the matte spray.

What were you fielding against it?

A company of my assorted 3025 classics of similar weight (Atlas, Battlemaster, etc).  Some bad dice rolls for me, and some very lucky ammo hits from him, and I basically had a lance go boom in one turn.  All in all I lost half my force before withdrawal and I only got three of his  :(  It was for fun.  I wanted see how it would go and the superior machines won the day.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2017, 10:45:27 »
Posting the rest of the close ups for some friends to see.  Comments are still welcome.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2017, 10:47:50 »
And the last four.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2017, 04:33:09 »
Sweet!

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2017, 09:27:36 »
Very nice!

Do you have preferred versions of each that you field, or do you tailor to the specific battle?
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2017, 22:48:59 »
Very nice!

Do you have preferred versions of each that you field, or do you tailor to the specific battle?

Thanks!  I would say a bit of both.  We're still very new to AS (only three battles so far), so it has mostly been playing to learn the mechanics.  This was our first company level battle in honor of the new arrivals.  My step-son really wanted to play with these, so I let him.  With the 'newer' Mechs (Sagittaire, Warlord, etc.) I gave him the stock TRO models.  The 'older mechs' were all upgraded variants.  And just for giggles (and because I have them) I played all classic 3025 against it.  I've been asked twice now, so here was my company in all its Third Succession War glory:

First Lance
                                     Second Lance                                       Third Lance
JR7-D Jenner                                   CPLT-C1 Catapult                                AS7-D Atlas
PNT-9R Panther                                CRD-3R Crusader                               BLR-1G Battlemaster
HCT-3F Hatchetman                          AWS-8Q Awesome                             WHM-6R Warhammer
SHD-2H Shadow Hawk                      STK-3F Stalker                                   TDR-5S Thunderbolt

It was turn 7 or 8 that he got lucky with crits and took out the Stalker, Battlemaster, and the Crusader in the same turn.  That had been preceded by some awful dice rolling on my part.  My shiny bit was my Jenner getting in behind his whole group and getting two kills in the process before getting flattened by the Sagittaire.  All in all it was a fun time and we now have our first small campaign planned out with two companies each to go around this time.  Should be fun  :)
« Last Edit: 16 September 2017, 00:22:44 by Valkerie »

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2017, 03:34:21 »
Cheers! And a very nice slice of 3025 there!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Register