Author Topic: (Answered) Real rules or MM quirks  (Read 2278 times)

VictorMorson

• Sergeant
(Answered) Real rules or MM quirks
« on: 14 February 2016, 12:57:52 »
Hey folks.  I typically play BattleTech via MegaMek as our players are scattered across the country, and I'm wondering if this is the official way this works or a side-effect of Megamek being an open source fan project; it's very hard to tell sometimes:

Ejection near TacOps Ammo Explosions/Fusion Engine Explosions:  In the event the 'mech explodes in a manner to damage nearby hexes, is this supposed to kill an ejecting pilot from that unit?  In Megamek, you are dumped out behind the unit before it explodes, killing the pilot.  I could sure buy it either way, I am just curious.

LBX on Dropships:  LBX ACs do not seem to be on any dropship that exists.  By that same token, when using LBX on a dropship, it won't fire in LBX mode.  Is there a rule about this?  (Interestingly Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles work great and are the kind of dropship anti-fighter in our game). 

Long Tom Cannons on Dropship:  These don't fire in space; this makes some logical sense, but I know ACs DO fire in space due to nuclear propulsion so I'm not entirely sure if this is right or wrong.

-

I'm actually sure there's a few more eluding me right now.  I'm just curious if there's any official but on this stuff that might be causing the game to act as it is, they've often implemented rules from a wide variety of books and obviously cannot copy the contents of those books into the game to explain it, leaving some confusion at times. 
« Last Edit: 20 July 2023, 17:58:31 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: A couple questions: Real rules or MM quriks?
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2016, 00:02:00 »
Ejection near TacOps Ammo Explosions/Fusion Engine Explosions:  In the event the 'mech explodes in a manner to damage nearby hexes, is this supposed to kill an ejecting pilot from that unit?  In Megamek, you are dumped out behind the unit before it explodes, killing the pilot.  I could sure buy it either way, I am just curious.
Ejection, p. 196 TO, has the mechwarrior go one hex behind the 'mech.  Engine Explosions p. 78 would definitely kill somebody one hex behind the 'mech.

LBX on Dropships:  LBX ACs do not seem to be on any dropship that exists.  By that same token, when using LBX on a dropship, it won't fire in LBX mode.  Is there a rule about this?  (Interestingly Silver Bullet Gauss Rifles work great and are the kind of dropship anti-fighter in our game). 
TW p. 303's LBX entries on the table have a footnote about how they are used on aerospace units.

Long Tom Cannons on Dropship:  These don't fire in space; this makes some logical sense, but I know ACs DO fire in space due to nuclear propulsion so I'm not entirely sure if this is right or wrong.
Long Tom Cannons firing in space is covered in TO p. 235 under Artillery cannons.
TO p. 180, the first sentence under Airborne targeting covers using Long Tom artillery (non-cannon/"standard" Long Tom) from an airborne unit.

In the future, if you're looking to work out the differences between MM and regular play I would ask that you check in the Megamek forum, or in the regular gameplay forums: these subforums are to tackle problems with the canon rules.  I hope this helps.  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register