Author Topic: A Call to War: 3rd Sian Dragoons  (Read 12499 times)

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
A Call to War: 3rd Sian Dragoons
« on: 31 August 2015, 07:30:02 »
Your friendly neighbourhood Psycho here with all the fun, frivolity, and fanaticism of building a force for the 3rd Sian Dragoons. A new/old formation in the Capellan Confederation, the Dragoons are a virtual blank-slate for players and painters. Appearing both as an Age of War era brigade, and a Dark Age era one, I chose the DA version to work with. I like having new toys to play with. The 3rd are a maneuver-focused regiment, which I also enjoy.

There were multiple factors playing into the force build, including utilizing combined-arms, keeping it very Capellan, and with real life making cash flow tight, using as many minis as possible that I already have on-hand.

I had actually already earmarked a number of minis to fit this unit before the project was pitched. I didn’t get to incorporate all of them, but it was a first step knowing the core I had to work with. Given those minis and the MO of the “Jade Cavalry”, there was going to be a strong element of speed. Going over the force bonuses, I decided that I would use a Recon Lance as the first element of my force. Their bonuses lend themselves to working with heavy indirect fire, which made my second element a Fire Support Lance. Being a good Capellan unit, and wanting combined-arms, these were both going to be Augmented Lances; we'll call them Level II’s for the sake of fitting in the force-building rules.

Now let’s reverse direction and look at that Fire Support Lance.

- Thunder THR-1R    39
- Lao Hu  LHU-3L      39
- Yu Huang Y-H11G  49
- Longbow LGB-12C 52
- LRM Carrier (3055 upgrade) 34
- LRM Carrier (3055 upgrade) 34

The Thunder and Lao Hu were from my previous pool of minis set aside for the Dragoons. Good, fast heavies to back up the recon elements and provide a second-line threat moving up the board. When you need fire support, you really can’t go wrong with a Longbow and LRM Carriers. They fall outside the standard paradigm for the 3rd, but I decided to build on a force paradigm over a regimental one: aiming for effectiveness on the table for a small unit over strict adherence to regimental fluff. The final piece was the Yu Huang.  Its role as bodyguard is to make an opponent think twice about rushing the LRM boats, and to be able to re-position quickly to cover any flanking maneuvers that do occur.

I love building forces that can threaten an opponent in multiple ways. This build has a distinct character as a “glass cannon” with the hard-hitting but fragile LRM Carriers. The goal is to be able to use that obvious weakness as a way to force opponents into hard choices: leaving the fire support element alone is sure death with the to-hit bonuses and volume of indirect fire (16 points per turn), while trying to rush them means running straight into my heavy elements while simultaneously leaving their backs exposed to recon elements with the speed to turn and pursue.

Speaking of those recon elements, here’s what I pulled for the Recon Lance.

- Agrotera AGT-1A  30
- Sha Yu SYU-6B     27
- Men Shen Alt G     35
- Griffin GRF-4R      31
- Harasser (MML)    14
- Harasser (MML)    14

Speed, moderate firepower, and back-stabbing ability are the key aspects here. I’m likely to use at least one unit as a dedicated spotter each turn, so I didn’t want to load up on firepower. The Harassers are ridiculously fast, just shy of Dasher speeds. A very modest 1 damage at medium range means I’m not worried about sacrificing that attack in order to spot, while 2 damage at short range means they’re a solid threat when firing at someone’s back. The Agrotera and Griffin each offer huge a jump radius, forcing an opponent to carefully consider where he’s placing his units, while the Sha Yu’s Stealth Armor makes it more slippery at mid ranges. The Men Shen brings another threat vector with a TSEMP. All told, this fits what I want out of lighter elements; they'll be tough to hit and take down, but can't be ignored either.

I'll talk more on the painting side of things later. For now, a quick link to the already-painted Agrotera: http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=7261

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: A Call to War: 3rd Sian Dragoons
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2015, 11:30:50 »
I was gonna say. All this write-up but no pics, and from a Camospecs guy, no less.

But, the link was a nice save.

You have your work cut out for you, if the Aggy is any indicator.

Hurry with the pix, man. I'm getting antsy with all these call to war posts that are nothing but text so far.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2015, 12:08:29 »
The plan is to build the force over the next 4 months, which I'll need to be able to work them in among commissions... And I just broke out the paints last night for the first time in about a week. Moving really puts a dent in your painting time!  #P

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2015, 13:02:01 »
Oh, these are going to look great.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2015, 14:26:57 »
The plan is to build the force over the next 4 months, which I'll need to be able to work them in among commissions... And I just broke out the paints last night for the first time in about a week. Moving really puts a dent in your painting time!  #P
Yeah, tell me about it. I had my stuff packed up for about a year & a half moving and just got it all out for this project.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2015, 16:19:56 »
Hopefully it's not all dried up.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2015, 16:29:28 »
I'm putting brush to paint for the first time in almost a decade. Should be...interesting.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2015, 07:00:35 »
A finished update, and just under the wire!

Two 'Mechs to add to the Agro this time around, with the Sha Yu and Lao Hu.

Still adjusting to the new place and revised set-up, looks like the Lao Hu got a bit of a blue tint to the pics. These things happen.

Sticking to very Capellan designs here, and modern ones at that. I like having the flexibility of swapping variants should the need arise for different games; in this case the Sha Yu's -6B variant selection is very much a factor of squeezing the points. I would have preferred the -4B's extra damage and little extra abilities, I just couldn't work it in and still get what I liked in other places. The Lao Hu selection was based on the AS stats. I find the -3L to be an interesting swap from the standard loadouts in TW terms, but it doesn't get any extra abilities to distinguish it in AS. That's alright. Sometimes you just want a hammer, not a gadget.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2015, 07:25:00 »
Incredibly well done.

I don't see any blue tint. I do see plenty of green over your photo set-up.  :P

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2015, 08:08:23 »
Those are some of my favorite Liao mechs and the look brilliant. 

Well done as always  :)
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2015, 08:29:48 »
Very sharp looking. Are you planning on modifying the Men Shen or are you just going to use the stock mini? It would be great to see another creation of mine in mini form.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2015, 09:00:01 »
Still adjusting to the new place and revised set-up, looks like the Lao Hu got a bit of a blue tint to the pics. These things happen.
Interesting. Seeing the pictures, I would say the Sha Yu has a yellow-ish tint to the pictures ... ;) But you know best which is closer to the true colors.

Either way, this will be a very impressive unit!

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2015, 09:41:01 »
Love the Liao theme and the unit colors you picked for this project!   O0

I've got a few of the same mechs waiting for me to do an updated version of my House Hiritsu battalion.  Just waiting for a few missing 3145 era mechs (I'm looking at you, Vandal and Yinghuochong!) to get released before I get started.   8)
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2015, 14:05:11 »
I don't see any blue tint. I do see plenty of green over your photo set-up.  :P

You don't like moss-covered walls?

Interesting. Seeing the pictures, I would say the Sha Yu has a yellow-ish tint to the pictures ... ;) But you know best which is closer to the true colors.

Either way, this will be a very impressive unit!

Yeah, it's trying to get the red to show accurately that's proving difficult. In that regard the Sha Yu's pics are better.

Very sharp looking. Are you planning on modifying the Men Shen or are you just going to use the stock mini? It would be great to see another creation of mine in mini form.

Working on some quick mods to the Thunder (repairing broken knees and getting a smaller bore on the AC), Griffin, and Men Shen. I wanted something different from the standard too, so it looks like that will work for both of us.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2015, 14:28:44 »
Beautiful! The Lao-Hu is such an interesting miniature. I don't think it will ever go out of style...
I love the canopy and left arm, especially. I'm also excited to see your modifications. The Griff 4R is not a variant
I would have associated with 3rd Sian Dragoons, but certainly fits as war salvage. Bonus points for keeping the
unit 'pure' and not throwing in any salvaged Clan tech (like I most certainly would have done). Great stuff, Joel.

... [applause]   

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2015, 16:43:22 »
 O0

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #16 on: 30 September 2015, 17:17:32 »
There's a reason you're in CSO, Psycho. Absolutely gorgeous shading and clarity.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
« Reply #17 on: 30 September 2015, 19:39:15 »
Very nice and very Capellan!

Looking forward to facing these on the table someday soon!  O0
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

abou

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 30 September 2015, 20:46:26 »
You don't like moss-covered walls?
Heh, I meant more along the lines of, "Green with envy over your photo setup."

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2015, 14:24:04 »
Heh, I meant more along the lines of, "Green with envy over your photo setup."

Ah, I follow now. Not much to be envious of, really. Styrofoam, paint, a few trees, and some flock. Currently set up on an end table lit by two lamps, all from Ikea. Second-hand tripod. Not including the camera, we're talking less than $100 on materials. I'm definitely in the "making the most of what you have" club. Spending a lot doesn't automatically mean a better end product. I'll try to remember to snap a pic or two of my set up next time I'm taking pictures.

jrvk777

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 01 October 2015, 21:04:28 »
Better put these up on CSO soon... the Agro is starting to get lonely in the gallery...  :P

Looking forward to the full force pic.

Great work, as always!  O0

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 01 October 2015, 21:41:42 »
What colors/brand did you use on these and what would be a near match for Army Painter colors? Love the paint job  O0

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2015, 23:14:45 »
@phoenixstorm - it started out as an experiment on the Agro, and if doing a whole new group I'd trim down the process, but for consistency I kept it as the following:

Reds; base of P3 Sanguine Base, wash of IWM Chocolate ink, highlight layers of Delta Maroon, Delta Napthol Red Light, P3 Khador Red Base, and Americana Bright Orange.

Greens; base coat of Vallejo Military Green, wash of Secret Weapon Sewer Water wash, highlight layers of Delta Hunter Green, P3 Iosan Green, Delta Jubilee Green, and Delta Apple Green.

No clue what they'd translate to for AP.

Now onto the mods. Pics have been sitting on my camera for several days. Oh well. With this being a side project, I'm trying to keep things simple where I can.

Men Shen - I kept the left arm as-is for the MPL-to-MXPL swap. The right arm is a lightly modified LRM pack from a T-Bolt, and the SRMs are omni parts. I wanted the missile racks to be bigger than the original's LRM, and the look has grown on me after starting out not liking it all that much.

Griffin - started out with a Francine variant from the W&B pack. Cut off the right hand, left arm lasers, and flipped the LRM pack around. I forget what the PPC is off of, but I know the iJJs are salvaged from a Dola. As one of the PP redesigns that looked like it had gone on a serious diet, it needed to be bulkier. I think the JJ's get that covered well. Relatively quick mods, but a big change in appearance.

The Griff 4R is not a variant I would have associated with 3rd Sian Dragoons, but certainly fits as war salvage.

I rolled with what the MUL offered up. I agree it's not the most Capellan choice, and previously I had been debating between it and the Stealth-equipped -5L variant. Once again it came down to PV, with the -4R being the cheaper option. The insane jump distance sure doesn't hurt, forcing opponents to consider the possibility of it going for a back shot after an 18" jump. Getting hit for 4 points isn't huge, but it is enough to take a chunk out of someone.

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2015, 23:31:12 »
Some great conversions.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2015, 09:19:39 »
Woo, got in under the wire! Busy month, but 3 'Mechs painted to fill out the Recon Lance and give the Lao Hu a partner.

These guys all fit in my general MO of having multiple ways to hurt an opponent. Speed helps keep the Recon guys safer; the Men Shen's MASC system pushes it beyond normal 6/9 modifiers, and the Griffin's massive 18" jump is both defense and offense. Bringing a TSEMP is something where the perceived threat may be more than the actual threat, though a shutdown result on the right target could throw an opponent seriously off track. And the Thunder? It's built to kick opponents in the teeth, something the recon and fire-support elements don't do. Make it different by going simple and direct.  ;)

Pics! I think I got better balance with these, and a bit more contrast.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 30 October 2015, 13:50:16 »
I can only echo my previous, and applaud your result. Excellent attention to detail, sir.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #26 on: 30 October 2015, 17:47:40 »
I really like the Men Shen arms. The clan SRM racks are doing it for me. I do like Thunder mod. They are all painted to the level that I expect from you which is excellent mixed with fantastic.

I didn't notice the Griffin mod at first. Nice.

Sagittaire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Catalyst Field Agent #455
« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2015, 19:32:06 »
Another outstanding addition to your force! Each mod is great in its own way. I personally like the Griffin the most. The mod for the ijj really does fill out the back of the 'Mech nicely.

Colours are fantastic! The transition/shading on green is extremely well done!

Keep up the good work!
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Member of: Southern Ontario Battletech Society Facebook Group

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #28 on: 30 October 2015, 20:36:32 »
Can't wait to see the entire force. Also liking the color scheme on the newer units, seems like cooler colors than the earlier paint jobs with maybe more dramatic blending than the earlier models.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #29 on: 02 November 2015, 11:13:03 »
I love the muzzle extention you added to the Thunder's AC/20!  Is that scratch built or a part from some other mech?   8)
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards