Author Topic: Zeus ZEU-7B  (Read 1572 times)

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
Zeus ZEU-7B
« on: 05 November 2017, 15:26:08 »
In an ever evolving process of trying to tweak my favorite looking mechs, I present this 3075 era design for thoughts, opinions, and constructive input.

==========

Zeus ZEU-7B

Code: [Select]
Zeus ZEU-7B
IS Assault Battlemech
80 tons 
BV: 1,948
Cost: 18,372,000 C-bills

Movement: 4/6
Engine: 320 XL
Heat Sinks: 15 [30]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 122 (Endo-Steel)
Armor: 232/247
                     Internal    Armor
--------------------------------------
Center Torso               25       37
Center Torso (rear)                 10
Right Torso                17       27
Right Torso (rear)                   7
Left Torso                 17       27
Left Torso (rear)                    7
Right Arm                  13       24
Left Arm                   13       24
Right Leg                  17       30
Left Leg                   17       30

Weapon                         Loc  Heat
----------------------------------------
Gauss Rifle                     LA     1
LRM 15                          RA     5
ER Large Laser                  CT    12
Light PPC                       LT     5
Light PPC                       LT     5

Ammo                           Loc Shots
----------------------------------------
Gauss Rifle Ammo [IS]           LA     8
Gauss Rifle Ammo [IS]           LA     8
LRM 15 Ammo                     RT     8
LRM 15 Ammo                     RT     8

Equipment                      Loc
----------------------------------
Artemis IV FCS                  RA

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Re: Zeus ZEU-7B
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2017, 17:31:56 »
That's a cutie.  Nice fire support ride with the all-long-range armament, though it's a bit light on ammo and IMO oversinked.  A running alpha generates zero heat; maybe lose two HS and add a ton of LRM and Gauss ammo?  You can always leave off an LPPC now and then and still go 5-4-5-4 on the guns, with 50% more headcapping and IF.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2017, 19:30:18 »
Looks good to me.  If it is a longer campaign or away from supply lines I could see it needing more ammo, but as is it should be fine for most games.  With the way the weapons and sinks are arrayed plasma weapons and inferno rounds shouldn't be to hard to deal with either.

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2017, 10:23:17 »
Have to agree...she is a bit over sinked.  Lose a couple for some ammo. 
If at first you don't succeed, make it worth the repairman's time!

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2017, 14:06:13 »
If you're going to drop sinks, I'm not sure ammo is the right call - it's already carrying 16 shots per weapon. I'd consider 2x ML/ERML for short-range combat like the basic Zeus has, or just dropping one sink for an extra ton of armour. You might even want to look at up-gunning the LRM15 to a LRM20 or the ERLL to an ERPPC, but each of those will increase the heat to +7 at alpha(-3 HS and +1 heat or -2 HS and +3 heat), which may be a bit much.

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2017, 16:47:20 »
There is no mention of CASE/CASE2 in the build.  May be a good thing to add considering the armament....

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 07 November 2017, 12:52:59 »
One thing I don't think I'll ever get is the constant issue people have with a heat neutral 'mech!  ???

Having played this design a couple of times now, and a couple of others like it, I've found that a mech that doesn't have to worry about monitoring it's heat is much more of a threat than one that has to be careful and restrict what it does. The whole "Alpha Strike" and deal with the heat later thing isn't an issue in a 'mech like this, since you can effectively"Alpha Strike"every turn and not sweat your heat.

It must just be a style of play I guess... 8)

packhntr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2017, 13:17:13 »
Understandable.....But personally, I can deal with heat better than a bomb in the torso.  Just me though....

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 07 November 2017, 14:24:24 »
One thing I don't think I'll ever get is the constant issue people have with a heat neutral 'mech!  ???

Having played this design a couple of times now, and a couple of others like it, I've found that a mech that doesn't have to worry about monitoring it's heat is much more of a threat than one that has to be careful and restrict what it does. The whole "Alpha Strike" and deal with the heat later thing isn't an issue in a 'mech like this, since you can effectively"Alpha Strike"every turn and not sweat your heat.

It must just be a style of play I guess... 8)

Battletech has usually avoided perfectly-optimized mechs in favour of those with flaws. In 3025, in particular, that flaw was frequently heat, so heat balance strikes a lot of people as tech-2 extravagance.

Also, even ignoring that sort of sentiment, it's often a bad tradeoff to add those extra heat sinks on. In this design everything fires at the same range, so you'll want to fire it all at once, but if for example you had some MPLs on the mech then it'd be foolish to add HS to cover them - they'll only really get fired when the LRMs are in minimum range, so they'll never need to both be firing at once(unless your mech is about to die anyway). Even on this mech, you'll lose contact once in a while as ranges change(e.g., you're -10 heat if the target is 19 hexes away), or you'll avoid running sometimes - if you dropped one HS to add in an extra ton of armour or CASEII for the RT, you'd probably wind up with a mech that still never hit +5 heat in practice, but that was noticeably more survivable as well. A C3 slave is also a pretty natural improvement to this mech that would be worth displacing a HS, if you use it with the right companions.

Heat-balanced mechs are a reasonable choice sometimes, and they're not immoral or anything. But they often go a bit too far towards dealing with one problem(heat) at the cost of not dedicating enough resources towards any other problem(firepower, armour, whatever).

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2017, 15:19:42 »
I can understand the concept of sacrificing a DHS for an extra ton of armor or even CASE II (IS that available in 3075?), I just don't get the call to drop heat sinks favor of adding more weapons and thus a greater heat load.

And while I get the example of out-of-range MPLs and how they would not be effective in the heat accountability, that's not the case here. Or in most 'mech designs, custom or otherwise, that I personally tend to use.

To me Inner Sphere MPLs seem like such a waste that I never personally bother with them.