Author Topic: BattleTech: Onslaught: Tales from the Clan Invasion! - Has anyone read this?  (Read 5417 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Has anyone purchased this from Drivethru???  This first I've seen of this interesting bit of product.

BattleTech: Onslaught: Tales from the Clan Invasion!

I'm interested in buying it, the product inexpensive.  Has anyone read it?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Pretty confusing that they haven't mentioned any details of the stories save they are from BattleCorps and Clan Invasion era.

Hmm, off-topic, guess DriveThru are expanding again as its also popped up on DriveThruFiction...

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Given the product description, the candidate stories for inclusion are from the initial Clan invasion:

1) Skirmish at the Vale's Edge
2) A New Game
3) The Tools We Serve
4) Fourth Form
5) Superior
6) Three Points of Pride
7) ?

There aren't any other BattleCorps stories from this period that I know of.   

"Second Chance" is from Era Digest 3050;  "A Little Piece of War" is from 20 Years of Art and Fiction; "Glancing Blows" was from one of the rulebooks; and "The Heat of Battle" is from Bloodright.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
The story list can be seen in the Kindle preview on Amazon.  :)
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Hmmm.  Missed "Double Down" and "My Father's Sword."  Cool - I had "My Father's Sword" filed according to the 3028 flashback dates, but I'd apparently forgotten to download "Double Down."  Glad this brought it to my attention.

Why did "Skirmish at the Vale's Edge" not make the cut?
« Last Edit: 13 September 2013, 11:27:00 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
Was this product announced anywhere on BattleCorps or this forum? I missed it completely, and I don't habitually browse amazon or kindle sites.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Was this product announced anywhere on BattleCorps or this forum? I missed it completely, and I don't habitually browse amazon or kindle sites.
I was told by e-mail by DriveThruFiction.   
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So

Ditto going to have to scan Battleshop when I get a minute
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
I was told by e-mail by DriveThruFiction.

Ditto, but I brought it from BattleCorps, strange that it's not been announced though ?.

Dave.

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
I downloaded it and have read several of the stories. They're very much in the style of short stories in between chapters in Total Warfare- not surprising since they're by many of the same authors.

If you like those short stories, you'll like Onslaught, and can't beat the price for a bit of fluff reading.

I would not recommend these narratives to those new to the Battletech universe as much might be lost on newcomers. For those of us whose favorite era is the Clan Invasion, worth the price of admission!  O0
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

bytor

• Lieutenant
I'm reading this collection now, and the stories are pretty good.  Certainly worth the price!

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky