Author Topic: SLDF Regimental Command Company (ANSWERED)  (Read 2273 times)

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
SLDF Regimental Command Company (ANSWERED)
« on: 21 September 2017, 15:18:41 »
Okay, I'm building out the TO&E for the 125th BattleMech Division in 2764 (i.e., just before hauling off to put down those pesky Periphery Uprisings). Within it, I have almost completed building the 17th Striker Regiment, including all of it's combat support units. Now I'm looking to round out the HQ unit, including the regimental command company.

I'm working from the informed assumption that the primary purpose of the command company is not to actively engage/affect the course of any given battle, but to get the regimental CO out there, in a protected environment, so that he can direct his battalions according to the proverbial winds.

So, he's got 12 'Mechs. In an age where BattleMech companies and battalions were comprised of the same model throughout, it would make sense (to me) that the regimental command company would be comprised of 'Mechs seen within the regiment. But maybe that's not true; maybe, because of the need to protect the command staff (CO, XO, Operations officer, etc.), the 'Mechs chosen for the command company differ. There's advantages (including maintenance and supply) to not introducing any new models, but what are the other considerations? What would be the considerations in equiping a SLDF-era combat company?

Thanks for the input and guidance.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2017, 13:39:42 by Revanche »

Hammerpilot IIC

• Master Sergeant
  • The Suns will rise again!
Re: SLDF Regimental Command Company
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2017, 15:46:21 »
I would definitely put the CO in a Cyclops or a command-console Battlemaster. Maybe a lance each of Highlanders, Victors, and Thunderbolts to bodyguard him and still put some support fire downrange.
7th Crucis Lancers: 2786-3143. You shall be avenged!

Awesome 8Q- "Whoa...Every third PPC is slower..." --MistWolf

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2017, 16:31:35 »
Don't play with or know much about the SLDF, but I figure:

Command Lance
CO and XO/ADC should each have command console Mechs for redundancy
They'd also each have 1 bodyguard Mech, again preferably identical

Guard Lance
3 heavy, versatile 4/6 Mechs like the Thunderbolt led by
1 Gunslinger-qualified Mechwarrior in Mech of choice

Support Lance for indirect fire and anti-air support
2 LRM Mechs
2 AC Mechs

Exceptions: temporary battle replacements, more Gunslingers, or what I sometimes do when I have a more 'active'/sneaky CO: give the XO/ops officer the command-console Mech, and let the CO pilot an ordinary Mech or masquerade as a bodyguard

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2017, 17:47:37 »
A lot of it comes down to what sort of CO you are playing, and what you want them to do.

Heavies and assaults is pretty much standard, and mechs like the Cyclops were well known as good mechs for commanders.  The CO's lance should absolutely have the same speed, so perhaps something like Shootists or Thunderbolts.  Another lance of high end assaults is pretty standard, something that can stand up to anything and hold the line if things get hairy, or open up a hole if there's an opportunity.  And I like the idea of a lance of lights or mediums that can screen and support and range around the command lance looking for trouble, or react to trouble that shows up.

That said, some commanders like to wield the big hammer, so might take 12 or 16 high end assaults (perhaps lead from an Atlas).  They might find a way to be on hand for the killing blow in key battles, with 1,600 tons of mech tipping the scales at the key moment.

Other commanders like a very mobile command force, nothing below 5/8 or 6/9 or even more.  You might set that commander in a Spartan or Phoenix Hawk or even a Mongoose, racing around the field, so that they're always available to help when needed, react to anything, and be on site wherever the opportunity presents.

I've used variants of both strategies (usually a lance at the multi-company level, since regimental battles aren't common to play out) with strong success.

It should be noted, this regimental commander still has significant responsibilities, but less than a regimental commander might in 3025, since he's still got divisional command above him, helping to coordinate with other units.  So, while having a command console or two in the unit wouldn't go amiss, I'd imagine you'd have a pretty solid set up supporting you, weather that's command consoles, a special command dropship, mobile HQ, or some combination of those things and things I missed. 

And if this commander takes inspiration from his leadership, it's noteworthy that we know of at least a few examples where Alexander Kerensky and DeChevilier personally lead from the front in key battles, so the idea of an SLDF commander in this period getting their hands dirty isn't unreasonable, when and if the stakes demand it.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2017, 20:26:19 »
Thank you. That was very helpful.

What really stuck out with me was:
  • defining the lance roles: this was far more important than naming specific 'Mech types, as the models will be what ever is provided by Regular Army Command. The RAC will also largely decide (in pre-SW eras) what comprises a command company, so having the roles spelled out was good.
  • As the 17th Striker has nothing heavier than mediums, I'm leaning towards providing the command lance with nothing larger than fast(er) heavies, and I liked the idea of identical bodyguards. The CCs I'll have to ponder; it makes sense they'd be more common in the SLDF than later, so why not with my units (though maybe reserved for the division's three Battle regiments, rather than the Striker ones).
  • The recognition of mobility for the Striker regiments seems poignant. I'll have to compare speeds to the average of the subordinate battalions.
  • The divisional support really rang true: I'm designing the support units (MI, engineering, field services, etc), so artillery, C3, etc, is all relevant. I'm definitely going to need to think big for divisional support. I had been thinking of keeping DropShips out of the TO*E (leave them with the naval forces), but the idea of a dedicated command ship, plus mobile repair facilities, sounds reasonable at a divisional level.
Again, thank you. I think I'll summarize your posts and save this for review again later, as I work to build the Battle Regiments. Now to pull on Xotl's lists and start finding the 'Mechs that fit these parameters for a Striker regiment's command company.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2017, 18:32:35 »
Don't forget the 'mechs with the Command 'Mech quirk (the Wolverine springs to mind).  That could solve your Striker problem...

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2017, 23:29:29 »
Huh! Thanks for that!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2017, 00:51:27 »
BMM Beta also gave that to the Phoenix Hawk but was later removed in the final version... Wish we knew why :'(

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2017, 01:58:29 »
BMM Beta also gave that to the Phoenix Hawk but was later removed in the final version... Wish we knew why :'(

well in the original TRO:3025 fluff, we're told that the P-hawk's superior comm systems made it useful as a commander for scout lances, but it wasn't originally meant as a command vehicle.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2017, 08:35:27 »
Is there a master list of which 'Mechs have quirks? Or is it a matter of going thru the books that Sarna identifies as listing 'Mechs with quirks?

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2017, 08:52:48 »
The new Battlemech Manual has a listing of what each mech has.

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2017, 09:07:07 »
The new Battlemech Manual has a listing of what each mech has.

Starting on p. 90. Thank you, Iron Grenadier.

Register