Author Topic: TRO 3039 purpose  (Read 32662 times)

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Re: TRO 3039 purpose
« Reply #30 on: 19 February 2011, 13:27:34 »
I've heard this before and don't get it.  GI Joe, Transformers and Robotech were all ripped from Japanese designs.  They are anime (at least the vehicle/robot designs/art)..

No, G.I. Joe is American. It was created by Mattel (IIRC) as a way to sell dolls to boys, then went from 12" to 3 3/4" figures as a way to sell more.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #31 on: 19 February 2011, 14:42:58 »
Actually the joes shrunk because of the oil crisis in the 70's.

-Jackmc

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #32 on: 19 February 2011, 15:33:26 »
The ONLY time I get scared is when I see blocky Mechwarrior 4 designs in BattleTech... yeah, Osiris, Deimos, Uziel.... ack.  I have no idea why BattleTech has to adapt to that crappy game (or it seems that way to me).

I wish designs would follow the 3039/3050/3058 look.  Give or take from 3060 and 3067.  They are still blocky but they look strangely sleek.  The rest just kind of fall off the deep end.

BUT, 3039 has a purpose on its own, and that is to supplement the box set with new designs and such.  It does that nicely.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2011, 15:44:14 »
No, G.I. Joe is American. It was created by Mattel (IIRC) as a way to sell dolls to boys, then went from 12" to 3 3/4" figures as a way to sell more.

Right, I was slightly confused.  The story/characters is American, it was just the technology for the 1980s action figures that was from Japan.  My mistake.
But GI Joe doesn't say much about what battlemech art you like.    Robotech (and Transformers is definetely anime.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2011, 15:52:54 »
Right, I was slightly confused.  The story/characters is American, it was just the technology for the 1980s action figures that was from Japan.  My mistake.
But GI Joe doesn't say much about what battlemech art you like.    Robotech (and Transformers is definetely anime.

Very true. Negating one example certainly doesn't invalidate the point, and I agree. Myself, I like all the different styles, even if I dislike some specifics. I actually like that TR3039 has a mix of styles, and the same with TRs 3075 and 3085.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 19 February 2011, 20:04:28 »
I actually much prefer Evans' illustrations of old Mechs from TRO 3050U over the old Loose' stuff which always looked to me more like preliminary sketches than finished artwork.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 19 February 2011, 22:55:39 »
I actually much prefer Evans' illustrations of old Mechs from TRO 3050U over the old Loose' stuff which always looked to me more like preliminary sketches than finished artwork.

Yeah, I do as well. There is just something about the artwork that I like...

Made by HikageMaru

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: 20 February 2011, 00:33:02 »

I really liked the "sketch from life" Loose look that looked like engineering sketches as opposed to the newer stuff which looks cartoony. Of course non gustibus disputadat.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #38 on: 20 February 2011, 00:49:33 »

Loose was trying to look more like "technical drawings." Infact, I consider the reason for the old art used on the extremely old designs from an in-character perspective to be that those were technical drawings, which really did not need to have refreshers,
since those designs really had NOT changed much in centuries, while the First In Centuries designs did, in fact, have subtle changes
in their first few decades(look at the head on the Wolfhound, for example). The First in Centuries section, much like the TROs
3060+, is more battlefield footage.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 20 February 2011, 18:12:11 »
I thought that the original artwork was 'sketchy' because the minis weren't made yet, and all the details still weren't finished. Could be wrong. .

As for the Wolfhound's head, why on Terra did they changed it? The older version was way better  [tickedoff]

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 20 February 2011, 20:34:47 »
As for the Wolfhound's head, why on Terra did they changed it? The older version was way better  [tickedoff]

Likely to make it match the original cover of one of the Blood of Kerensky novels

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 20 February 2011, 22:34:16 »
Am I alone in being a bigger fan of the older "block-style" artwork? I don't like the smooth and flowing newer style designs. I guess I like my stompy to be rough and boxy. Hmmm.

copy that, i am too.

Degman

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 21 February 2011, 03:56:09 »
Likely to make it match the original cover of one of the Blood of Kerensky novels

IMNSHO, the novel covers should be considered last regarding anything.

I mean, the stuff I've seen there...

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 21 February 2011, 04:47:58 »
IMNSHO, the novel covers should be considered last regarding anything.

I mean, the stuff I've seen there...

At least they didn't give the wolfhound the "slinky arm"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 21 February 2011, 08:52:43 »
At least they didn't give the wolfhound the "slinky arm"

Or a red thong.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register