Author Topic: Tracked Trailers  (Read 2941 times)

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
Tracked Trailers
« on: 29 February 2016, 01:15:47 »
Wild idea time. Has anybody tried to design a tracked trailer? If so, How'd you do it. How slow will the pulling vehicle (Tank) go. What are the weight limits involved. Example: Ajax Assault tank - 90 tons, Heavy LRM Carrier  - 80 tons, Zhukov Heavy tank - 75 tons. All equipped with a trailer hitch.
« Last Edit: 29 February 2016, 10:29:24 by Deathknight69 »
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Tracked Trailers
« Reply #1 on: 29 February 2016, 08:13:02 »
A lot of my trailers are tracked.

I build them and all my ground vehicles in HMV, which tells me what a vehicle with tractor can tow wheeled/tracked.

Frankly, I am dubious of the math, but if you for-sure want a trailer you can tow anywhere, you need it to be tracked.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

gomiville

• Master Sergeant
Re: Tracked Trailers
« Reply #2 on: 29 February 2016, 11:58:14 »
The Support Vehicle rules are my standard go-to, unless I'm building a distinctly combat oriented trailer.  Outside of the "towed mini-fort" idea (which is fun, but has flaws), nearly all my trailers are not combat oriented.  Cargo trailers are simple enough, but also medical or technical support trailers.  Especially for combat support vehicles, like artillery, the idea of towing something with an extra few tons of ammunition, is pretty useful.

Designing a tracked trailer is no different from designing a wheeled one.  Just use a different motive type, either in the Combat Vehicle rules or the Support Vehicle rules.  There's nothing special to a tracked trailer, except for the terrain it can traverse.  Personally, I tend to stick with off-road wheeled designs, just because I think it matters less for strategic mobility.  Obviously, if you're going to use them for actual game play, when terrain will matter more, and then use a tracked design.

There are no weight limits for trailers, except those already in place for vehicles anyway.  Just multiply the tractor's mass by the cruise speed, then divide by the total of the tractor and trailer together (rounding down).  So, a 50 ton tractor that normally goes 4/6, pulling a 15 ton trailer will go 3/5 (50x4=200, 200/65=3).

Conversely, of course, you could divide the product of mass and speed by the desired combined speed, then subtract the tractor mass, to determine the viable trailer mass.  Let's say a 75t tank going 4/6, that you don't want to slow more than 3/5.  So, 4x75=300, 300/3=100, 100-75 = 25t max for the trailer.
« Last Edit: 29 February 2016, 12:02:24 by gomiville »