Author Topic: Looking for Black Widow Company paint schemes  (Read 4758 times)

Hobbes

• Recruit
Looking for Black Widow Company paint schemes
« on: 10 November 2015, 17:25:21 »
Greets!

I've recently acquired several lead unseen 'Mechs, and I've decided I'd like to look into doing at least 4 of them in the Black Widow Company scheme, specifically the command lance (Warhammer, Marauder, Crusader, Griffin). I can't find too many reference images on the internet due to the rarity of unseen designs, so I'm hoping you all can help.

Any reference images?

Thanks,
"Hobbes"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Looking for Black Widow Company paint schemes
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2015, 20:04:37 »
CamoSpecs Online is usually a good source, but alas, doesn't mention them by name. They do mention the Wolf Spider Battalion, spiritual heirs of the Black Widows, as being in black with red trim.

And it's worth noting that the new Classic images on the cover of Combat Manual: Mercenaries are reported as being Black Widows - the Warhammer being the Black Widow herself - and they're in black with red trim. And - perhaps more definitively - the painted mini on page 104 of CM:M representing the Black Widow company is, you guessed it, black with red trim.

My copy of the FASA-era Black Widow scenario pack is at home, so I can't check it, but I'd say you can go with the above with confidence.

Cheers,

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: 10 November 2015, 21:44:28 »
The original black widows source book bas them in an all black paint job on the back cover.
The Mercenay Handbook bad them in ominous black and grays as they werw that good and crazy

Charger3604bbl

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2015, 23:54:07 »
I did my Black Widows per the old info.  Pure black.  Primed black,  painted in Vallejo German Grey,  then given a black wash.  I lined the command lance with a light grey.  The others I simply dry rushed.  Wolf's Dragoons and Black Widow water slides from Fighting Piranha.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/charger3604bbl/M4vC01

Chris

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2015, 03:44:35 »
Referred to above is the new Mercenaries HB and shows 3 of the 4 mechs you want to paint. Your best guide.

Heres the Black Widow from MWO:

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2017, 00:06:54 »
They were described as being all black I think in the scenario book, but as far back as I think MW1E they were actually just mostly black w/ some red trim which made them different from Zeta who was also pure black IIRC

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2017, 09:59:17 »
I did my black widow Lance with my old 3rd edition box set.  Not really official but inspired by the official.  Had already painted one of the mechs so I substituted on as a replacement on the command lance.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121261425@N05/27207108984/in/album-72157669527942671/

Sazzlefrats

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2017, 13:31:48 »
I did my black widow Lance with my old 3rd edition box set.  Not really official but inspired by the official.  Had already painted one of the mechs so I substituted on as a replacement on the command lance.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121261425@N05/27207108984/in/album-72157669527942671/

How'd you get the names of the mechs done on the bases? I like that.

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2017, 17:21:20 »
That's how the third edition box set came, they are molded in.  I just used a quick black wash to make it more visible.

Sazzlefrats

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2017, 18:40:38 »
That's how I get more jealous.

Register