Author Topic: Ruling Help  (Read 1498 times)

ktrainer2885

• Private
Ruling Help
« on: 18 April 2013, 00:10:11 »
I apologize in advance because I'm sure this is a simple ruling, but I don't know it and I'm really too tired to search for the answer. (I'm about to go to sleep.) It's two questions really.

1. If Mech A recieves 17 points of damage during weapons attack phase and then an additional 3 points of damage during physical attack phase does Mech A need to do a piloting skill roll?

2. If Mech A is punched by Mech B from one level down, (so punch on kick table) does Mech A need to do a piloting skill roll. I know Mech A was not kicked but since the physical attack was on the kick table I was not sure.

thank you very much guys. Scenario we are playing (which is on hold till tomorrow with the above situations above in the air) is the veteran training scenario 1 from the introductory book. My spider decided to punch a trebuchet from behind one level down.

Night guys and thank you again.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Ruling Help
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2013, 00:20:39 »
I apologize in advance because I'm sure this is a simple ruling, but I don't know it and I'm really too tired to search for the answer. (I'm about to go to sleep.) It's two questions really.

1. If Mech A recieves 17 points of damage during weapons attack phase and then an additional 3 points of damage during physical attack phase does Mech A need to do a piloting skill roll?

2. If Mech A is punched by Mech B from one level down, (so punch on kick table) does Mech A need to do a piloting skill roll. I know Mech A was not kicked but since the physical attack was on the kick table I was not sure.

thank you very much guys. Scenario we are playing (which is on hold till tomorrow with the above situations above in the air) is the veteran training scenario 1 from the introductory book. My spider decided to punch a trebuchet from behind one level down.

Night guys and thank you again.

1. No, The Weapons Attack phase and the physical Attack Phase are separate.

2. No, unless both punches from 'Mech B totaled 20 points (from Atlas or a 'Mech with heated Triple-Strength Myomers) or at least one puch hit unprotected actuators (for example leg armor missing because of previous damage).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2013, 00:21:09 »
For question 1, no.  Its damage in each phase . . . unless your table decides to change it to how you describe.

Then again, I am a big fan of the cumulative damage total.  You ride a ploding assault that took 60 damage?  +3 to the damaged force PSR rather than +1 for 20 or more damage.  Makes a bit more sense to me, and throws a negative into the turret wars that sometimes break out.

#2?  I do not think so, but I have never really looked at it.  Usually you avoid being Mech B since it is a 1 in 6 chance of taking the boot in the noggin.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2013, 03:32:57 »
As a rule, BattleTech rules are pretty literal and trying to extrapolate or read between the lines will only lead to needless headache.

The PSR for 20+ damage is really one for taking 20+ damage in one phase -- says so right on the table on Total Warfare p. 60. Since the Weapon Attack and Physical Attack phases are distinct, damage from the one doesn't carry over to the other for this purpose (any more than you'd worry about damage taken in the previous turn, for example).

Likewise, the PSR for being kicked is specifically for being successfully hit by a "kick" physical attack; it's in fact part of the rules for making one (TW pp. 147/8) and explicitly applies regardless of which location ended up taking the damage. So, taking a punch on the Kick Location Table is still a punch and doesn't force a PSR because punches in and of themselves don't do that (though the damage inflicted by said punch to the leg still might just like any other hit), while being kicked on the Punch Location Table is still a kick and requires the PSR to avoid falling over as normal.

ktrainer2885

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2013, 06:12:41 »
Thank you all for clarifying that. I thought that is how it worked but I didnt know. Now ontu the next turn since nothing needs to happen now. I'm gonna loose this round I think. lol

Thanks again

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2013, 06:27:53 »
Thank you all for clarifying that. I thought that is how it worked but I didnt know. Now ontu the next turn since nothing needs to happen now. I'm gonna loose this round I think. lol

Thanks again

Hey, if you're laughing about it and having a good time, you haven't really lost anything! Love the perspective.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.