Author Topic: Must read list for a new BT player  (Read 5223 times)

stevothedivo

• Corporal
    • Books of War Publishing
Must read list for a new BT player
« on: 19 August 2014, 12:49:37 »
Hey fellow 'Warriors
....so imagine you're 32yrs old, work full time, love reading paperbacks (bought a Kindle but gave it away to my nephew, just can't read a book that's not printed on paper...call me old school or that I should get with the times but simply can't do it...I even have the Catalyst core rulebooks on PDF - bought via RPGDriveThru on sale, no piracy, rest easy - and went and got the hardbacks anyway...yeah, it's THAT bad!) and very keen to expand your knowledge of the BattleTech universe to engross yourself even deeper in the setting.

I've read a number of posts/reviews before posting this thread, but didn't quite find what I was after.

If you were in my shoes - what would you consider the top 3-5 absolutely must read fast paced seminal works a beginner can't get away with not having read.
Please state your choices and why, next payday is Wednesday week and I've seen www.bookdepository.com carries a wealth of BT titles.
No technical readouts, faction assessments or other literature, please...
Only proper novels ala 40k Omnibuses, the kind that you can't put down to save yourself.
Surely over 30 years there must be an abundance of them but that very abundance is a double edged sword when you don't know where to begin!

Thanks in advance to any who'll take time to respond
Stevo
 :)

Dogs lick their balls because they can. Period.
Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
Re: Must read list for a new BT player
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2014, 13:04:05 »
The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy (Lethal Heritage, Blood Legacy and Lost Destiny) - riveting read and sets you up with the Clan invasion era, including most of the major personalities of the Battletech Universe.

Before that, you could use as an Inner Sphere primer: Wolves on the Border and Heir Apparent, the two best BT books ever written.

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2014, 13:20:14 »
First off, thanks for your input - much appreciated. You should however bare in mind I have the IQ of a goldfish and more or less the same memory capacity...
 }:)
Are you suggesting I read Wolves on the Border and Heir Apparent FIRST and then The Blood of Kerensky Trilogy?
Much as possible I'd like to read the novels in some chronological order - despite my recent purchase of a batch of Clan 'Mechs my gaming group is committed to 3025 for this year so a set-up to the Clan invasion that's ALSO a riveting read sounds just the ticket. Is it available as an Omnibus "Space Marine" style or are they separate titles only? Are Wolves on the Border and Heir Apparent suggested just because they're great books or connected to the trilogy in some way?

As you can tell....I'm really out of my depth here - the BattleTech universe is so mind boggingly marvellous and deep it's almost overwhelming. In a great way, don't get me wrong - loving every minute of it but it IS a lot to take in!
 O0

Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2014, 13:43:43 »
For print novels, for starters here's a helpful overview of what exists:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/List_of_BattleTech_novels

Naturally you wanna read them all, in that order. >:D
That said, you'll have to look for second hand books; most (all?) of these print novels aren't in print anymore at this time. Naming certain sites is agains the forum rules, but a certain online auction site and a certain online bookstore should be a big help to you here.

Now, seriously, what to read... in my opinion:

- Wolves on the Border. Probably the single best BT book. It is a very good standalone book in and of itself, and the events described here had a tremendous impact on BT.

- Blood of Kerensky trilogy: The transition of the setting from old-school to Clan Invasion. Stackpole writing, but an absolute watershed in the universe timeline. If you're into MWO then this is an absolute must-read.

- Optional: Warrior trilogy. Portrays the classic 3025 era in some depth and then the 4th Succession War that forever changed the balance of power. I'm not a big fan of Stackpole's writing, but these books contain one of the most memorable and iconic scenes of BattleTech, at the very wedding that features in the epilogue of Wolves on the Border.

Everything from here on builds a timeline based on stuff from the aforementioned books; to understand the next hundred or so novels you really need to have read the above first.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2014, 13:59:09 »
Holy moley - I was ON that webpage when I got the notification you posted a response.
Already sent a message to a seller on a site we can't name (WTF? Where are the forum rules listed, I don't want any slaps on the wrist in my first week on the forums!) for the Kerensky trilogy - if shipping isn't a killer the deal is settled.
Had my eye on the Warrior trilogy, as well - glad you confirmed it's 3025 era (so read those first, then the Kerenskys right?)
Wolves on the Border is quite pricy - but you both seem to think it's worth reading....and I'm not having much luck through either the unnamed auction site, bookdepository or abebooks locating it...
Maybe time to get my Forum-Fu into gear tomorrow and spam bartertown, wargamerau, boardgamegeek and other sites requesting the titles - surely someone somewhere has them - question is are they willing to part with them and at what price, really!
Thanks again for your helpful insights, please keep the suggestions coming as I've between now and Wednesday week to purchase as many titles as possible to maximise shipping (I generally read about 100 pages a day, so buying books in lots is no bother)
Regards
 :)

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2014, 14:16:37 »
Also, I'm finding Heir to the Dragon but no Heir Apparent - it's not even listed on www.sarna.net....
Positive the title is Heir Apparent (maybe it's THAT old/unavailable it's not even listed anymore)
If it is instead Heir to the Dragon, is that part of a series as well?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2014, 14:24:34 »
Also, I'm finding Heir to the Dragon but no Heir Apparent - it's not even listed on www.sarna.net....
Positive the title is Heir Apparent (maybe it's THAT old/unavailable it's not even listed anymore)
If it is instead Heir to the Dragon, is that part of a series as well?
I'm pretty sure he meant Heir to the Dragon. It's an inside view of House Kurita and the Draconis Combine in the Takashi Kurita era, and chronicles the evolution of Theodore Kurita to a suitable heir.
On the plus side, it's an awesome ride through history, seen from within the Combine.
On the down side, the story is a collection of episodes spanning some 32 years and if you're not heavily into BT lore you may not understand many of these episodes. When I first read the book I was rather confused; I only learned to appreciate it upon re-reading it much later, with a ton of background knowledge in my mind. Then it was a really good read.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Shin Yodama

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2014, 14:47:08 »
Sorry, I meant Heir to the Dragon. (My love of medieval history got the better of me).

The Warrior Trilogy is worth a read too, as are the Grey Death books if you need more of a 3025 fix.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2014, 15:13:16 »
Naming certain sites is agains the forum rules

No, it's not. At least, not the legit ones. It's linking to live auctions on eBay (see?) or similar things that is verboten, not the simple act of using their names.

a site we can't name (WTF? Where are the forum rules listed, I don't want any slaps on the wrist in my first week on the forums!)

You can absolutely name legitimate sites. It's sites that offer illegal downloads and such that the Powers That Be frown upon. But eBay, Amazon, Alibris, etc... all okay to name. There are limits on what can be linked to—mostly active auctions—for which you should see Rule 10.

The site rules were linked on the page where you signed up for the forums (in fact, you had to check a box indicating you'd read them and agreed to abide by them ;) ) and are also linked in the header at the top of every page on the forums. Here's a direct link: Forum Rules

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2014, 15:40:15 »
Thanks Mod - thought the "not naming of sites" was a bit draconian as my experience with this forum community has been among the best I've had on the internet!
And in all honesty - does anyone ever really read the T&C/rules of a forum they join? I don't bother on the rationale if I'm registering it's because I want to join and bring something positive to the community/contribute and learn/explore and share....it's not as if I can effectively NOT accept the T&Cs - it's sort of a given to click yes, we all know that.
The sole alternative is you don't get to join the forum/group/app/website, which is in itself completely legit and fair but as mentioned there's really no option but to accept. I can't say with a straight face I ever read what I'm agreeing to UNLESS credit card/personal information is requested - in that case my interest is well peaked!

Thanks for clarifying this issue, roosterboy - I will have a proper read of the rules now anyway just for Pete's sake.
Regards
 O0

theCrowe

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2014, 04:16:27 »
Welcome to the universe! I've been here a few years now and have been reading all the material mentioned so far.
 I've also been posting reviews but I'll warn you they're pretty spoilerific, so probably best approached after you've read a book.I haven't done a review for wolves on the Border yet because it was the very first novel I read but I'll agree it's still one of the best, I've even gone back and re-read it despite the countless BT novels still to read. It's perhaps the best loved and most often recommended novel of the lot.

If your faction choice is more mercenary than house for succession wars era. The grey death novels might be a good source of inspiration. While Wolf's Dragons and the Kell Hounds are both mercenary units they're by no means conventional mercs and can't really be used as exemplars.

« Last Edit: 20 August 2014, 04:55:36 by theCrowe »

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2014, 06:41:08 »
Steve, noting your 3025 timeframe preference, I would suggest that you read the original Grey Death Legion trilogy (Decision at Thunder Rift, Mercenary's Star, The Price of Glory). These will give you a good feel for the Succession Wars era.

From there, suggest you read Wolves on the Border which will introduce you to the Draconis Combine as well as the Wolf's Dragoons (the legendary mercenary unit). From here, suggest you read the Warrior trilogy (Warrior: En Garde, Warrior: Riposte, and Warrior: Coupé) which gives you the story of the 4th Succession War. Finally, Heir to the Dragon rounds out the Succession Wars era.

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2014, 00:01:28 »
Welcome to the universe of Battletech, Steve and welcome to the Forums.  :)

As to your question...

I would pick The Grey Death Trilogy to show you how mercenaries worked in the Inner Sphere and how the Succession Wars nearly destroyed technology. Good novels that focused on the single unit and not the big picture.

Second, I would pick the Warrior Trilogy to show you interstellar war and the politics of the day. Some mercenaries but a lot of loyal soldiers as well fighting for king and country etc. This series introduces you to the noble families ruling each of the five Great Houses of the Inner Sphere and unlike the Grey Death Trilogy focuses on the bigger picture rather than the individual unit.

Third, I would pick Heir to the Dragon due to its superb writing and a different perspective on the Draconis Combine compared to the Warrior Trilogy that was more from the point of view of the Federated Suns/Lyran Commonwealth/Capellan Confederation.

Fourth, the Blood of Kerensky trilogy due to it continuing where the Warrior Trilogy left off, introduces new characters and also introduces the Clans as enemies that the Five Great Houses must unite to fight against. Think of this series as the doorway into the next big Era in Battletech. Nothing will ever be the same again but in a good way.

After that...well, I could go on with several other books or groups of books but I personally think that those books will help ground you in the warfare, politics and various factions that Battletech has to offer.
Made by HikageMaru

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2014, 00:14:32 »
Wonderful advice all round
I've tracked down and in negotiations for all but the Grey Death trilogy, due to time differences I'll wait awhile to write the seller but she'll likely have them too
Shipping'll be a pain in the bum but can't seem to source them anymore anywhere (hope they're not due for reprint, that would REALLY naggle me!)
So 10 books total, that should keep me busy awhile
Thanks for the guidance
Stevo