Author Topic: Website ideas and suggestions  (Read 153628 times)

M-Rex

• Lieutenant
  • In Ferro, Veritas.
Re: Website ideas and suggestions
« Reply #60 on: 28 October 2011, 09:13:02 »
Not "A Game," but "The Game of Armored Combat."

I'm going to throw my vote in for 'NO' on The Board Game.  That particular tag line is like a broken garden gnome in the middle of a golf green.

"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round...

"Carrying stuff may be a sign of improper utilization of your minions." - 'Freelance Writer' Paul

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #61 on: 28 October 2011, 09:23:49 »
Errata Link: Again, a link to the relevant forum would be awesome.

I think I'm misunderstanding you. I linked to the overall Errata forum, as someone might have issues with any given product. It seems that listing all active threads would be a bit much?
[Edit: I get it now. Looks like I failed to actually include the link at some point. I had it there at one point, honest. ;) Fixed.]

Some of the text on the page is kind of awkward. For example:Just my 2 cents, but it would sound better as:
Here is all the errata issued for our products.

Also, you change voice in the last paragraph. It goes from "we" and "our" to "they".Catalyst rolls in any approved errata every time a product is reprinted.

Now you know one of many reasons editors have cause to hate me. ;)

Paul
« Last Edit: 28 October 2011, 09:25:38 by Paul »
The solution is just ignore Paul.

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #62 on: 28 October 2011, 09:25:37 »
I vote for "BattleTech:  A Game Of Armored Combat" also.

BattleTech isn't really a board game, it's a tabletop strategy game.

But it was always called "A Game Of Armored Combat" in the past, so that's what the website should say.

However, I do like the fact that you kept everyone's total number of posts from the previous iteration of the website. :)
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #63 on: 28 October 2011, 09:58:18 »
Sure, if that had ever been a tagline for anything BattleTech-related.
If they felt empowered enough to change it atoll …  ;)
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Sunder Prime

• Corporal
  • OMFG, the cake really IS a lie.
« Reply #64 on: 28 October 2011, 09:58:47 »
You asked for it, so I'll give it to you straight, no chaser.  Assuming that the site will be used to draw interested gamers into the BT universe, I make the following suggestions.  The links need some kind of description.  Also, listing them in alphabetical order hides the more useful links among more fluffy links.  Moar pictures.  You guys have some fantastic artwork.  That Thug on the cover of The Reunification Wars is awesome.  Stuff like that will pull people in.  Sprinkle it around the pages, not too much, but have it available. Maybe use and expandable thumb to keep things from looking cluttered.  Featuring an awesome Camo Specs mini here and there would be great too.  I would like to see a brief intro piece on some of the more compelling characters and units from the fiction.  Let the newbies read a brief overview of the Dragoons or the 10th Lyran Guards.  Anastasius Focht and Adian Pryde are compelling characters that will draw people into the game.  The same thing could be done with some of the more popular mechs. 

I also agree with the general consensus on the olive branch and "the board game" stuff.

My 2¢.  Keep up the good work. Crap, that is a chaser.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2011, 10:14:25 by Sunder Prime »

"If you have a simple solution to a problem, you probably don't know enough about the problem." -Colonel James "Huey" Hewitt, Commander of The Devil's Own

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #65 on: 28 October 2011, 10:10:55 »
I got on this morning and was initially surprised by the new look, but I really do like it.  It's much more modern and cleaner than the one that the site had been using for the last several years.  It doesn't feel like there is a ton of crap stuffed into it like the old one did.  I disagree with some of the posters above that want some huge dynamic image on the front page, I think it would be too busy, I like nice calm websites, even when they are about a war game.

I'll echo statements about updating some of the underlying pages such as the links page.

One complaint, I'm browsing now on my Chromebook, which comes in around 12 inches, and the site looks great.  On my desktop monitor though, which IIRC is around 19 inches, the deadspace on the page extended out a little far and made it look a little awkward.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #66 on: 28 October 2011, 10:23:40 »
Don't like 'The Board Game' subtitle would prefer 'A Game of Armored Combat'.

Would like to see the stuff at the bottom (the IWM and other links) moved farther up the page as people have a tendency to not scroll down.

Background is a bit stark and boring.  Maybe put bits of artwork from newly released products or some of the miniatures in combat like in the Total War rule book.
Fan Fund the SC-V-1 "Vampyr" ScavengerMech!!  Why should the combat pilots have all the fun??

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #67 on: 28 October 2011, 10:28:24 »
Fix the password feature, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to constantly reinput my password anytime I leave the site. Its annoying.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Sunder Prime

• Corporal
« Reply #68 on: 28 October 2011, 10:33:02 »

Would like to see the stuff at the bottom (the IWM and other links) moved farther up the page as people have a tendency to not scroll down.

I agree with this also, I never even saw the stuff at the bottom and I thought I checked out the site pretty thoroughly.  Might have something to do with a lack of coffee...

"If you have a simple solution to a problem, you probably don't know enough about the problem." -Colonel James "Huey" Hewitt, Commander of The Devil's Own

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 28 October 2011, 10:39:47 »
Fix the password feature, I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to constantly reinput my password anytime I leave the site. Its annoying.

Make sure you clear out your cache. A few things were pointed wrong behind the scenes, but once that got adjusted after launch, you shouldn't be having that problem anymore.
Happened to us to, but we're all fine now.

Paul

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 28 October 2011, 10:48:54 »
OK, Links page has been spruced up a fair bit. Still don't consider it done, and there's some things to fix.
But meanwhile, if anyone has some sites they think would be good for us to have on there, list the link here. If we agree, they'll go up.

Paul

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #71 on: 28 October 2011, 10:51:31 »
But meanwhile, if anyone has some sites they think would be good for us to have on there, list the link here. If we agree, they'll go up.

Scrap Yard Armory?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #72 on: 28 October 2011, 11:00:05 »
Honestly, I think kill the links section except for business partners. It's a really outdated concept, and around here fan pages come and go very quickly.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #73 on: 28 October 2011, 11:00:47 »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #74 on: 28 October 2011, 11:14:44 »
So,

my two cents (and somewhat regardless if it has been mentioned before) sorted by header on the page:

• The Boardgame ... well - the point was made
  • The Game intro doesn't say anything about the actual game - the text could refer to MechCommander or MechWarrior computer games just as well. A little bit more would go a long way.
  • The forum should have a link back to the page somewhere
  • The blog should be linked directly in the headline menu as a category instead of a subsection of news (that would make it easier to find and since it regularly pertains to development etc. that would be more fitting than news
  • I really like the books and releases
  • The universe section: It would be nice to have some page breaks or at least some images in that huge text. TLDR... Also: I would remove the links to all the unfilled sections (unpublish these nodes or such) because its weird to have headlines to 90% missing content), someone who checks these empty sections will likely not come back at a later time. However if you add content later and add sections, there is new things to be seen.
  • Downloads should contain ALL downloads currently available anywhere on the site  (including errata etc.) the current setup is somewhat confusing
  • Community play (Isnt that usually called organized play?): If you list upcoming events, make shure they are actually UPCOMING. If not, better don't list specific events. Nothing looks worse than a site listing an event thats several months in the past as upcoming, this screams: "We don't really care about this part of our page...".
  • Errata: It would be nice to have those available for download in the download section and maybe a direct read option right here.
  • Links: The link to the German version of the page directly links into a somewhat naked forum, while all others link to nice portals - is that deliberate?
    Is the Mechforce Germany a Vendor? You list them as fan club.
    None of the links after IWM actually links to Vendors.
    The Virtual World link you have has nothing to do with the Battletech Pods: The places running pods currently that have Websites (mentioning Battletech) are these:
    http://www.mechjock.com/
    http://www.vgcorps.com/
    http://www.skynet-gaming.com/
    http://www.mechcorps.com/html/index.php
    http://the-airlock.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/FalloutShelterArcade/
    (I think there are some in Japan, but I am not sure)
    What about other fan-sites?

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #75 on: 28 October 2011, 11:17:50 »
Looks awesome. Would just like to see the Gallery back with all the amazing past and present covers as wallpapers.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #76 on: 28 October 2011, 11:28:14 »
FYI: George just fixed it so the Home button at top links to the front page.

Paul

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 28 October 2011, 11:43:40 »
Some other selected reactions:
(if I didn't quote prior posts, it's not because I'm ignoring them, the below one just had a bunch I can react to right now)

• The Game intro doesn't say anything about the actual game - the text could refer to MechCommander or MechWarrior computer games just as well. A little bit more would go a long way.

I may be misunderstanding you, but what about the second paragraph on that page?
"The BattleTech board game simulates combat between various military vehicles in the thirty-first century. The kings of the battlefield are the 30-foot-tall humanoid titans known as BattleMechs. However, a myriad of other military units bring additional fun to any game, from combat vehicles to infantry to aerospace units and more."

• Downloads should contain ALL downloads currently available anywhere on the site  (including errata etc.) the current setup is somewhat confusing

We're still optimizing the setup some, but I do not concur that the best way to handle errata is to duplicate them on the Errata page. One problem of the old Downloads page was that it *did* duplicate just about everything we served, including preview material. That made it effectively unusable. The specific intent is to offer tools and material on the Downloads page that has no real good 'home' elsewhere (IE< Chaos Campaign) or that's tool that helps play (IE, the BForce counters). There's been discussion about yanking the QSR stuff, as it's served elsewhere.
Bringing that up to start discussion on that notion, not to silence it. ;)

Oh, and there's still a ton of stuff scheduled for inclusion, but we're also using the opportunity to 'refresh' some old PDFs so they have current BT and CGL logos on them.

• Links: The link to the German version of the page directly links into a somewhat naked forum, while all others link to nice portals - is that deliberate?
There's a plot to spruce up the various language sites some. As soon as there's time.
(If you run a language site, feel free to be pro-active, and feel free to reach out to me. I'll get around to send something round to you, but it may be a while)

Is the Mechforce Germany a Vendor? You list them as fan club.
None of the links after IWM actually links to Vendors.

Yeah, we need a better 'category' for that. WIP.

The Virtual World link you have has nothing to do with the Battletech Pods: The places running pods currently that have Websites (mentioning Battletech) are these:
http://www.mechjock.com/

DOH! Fixed.

What about other fan-sites?[/li][/list]

List some with links, we might add em. Right now all that's just the still living remnants of really ancient links, we're well behind any efforts to keep the Links section relevant and up to date with useful/cool sites, so let's grab this opportunity to fix that.

Paul

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 28 October 2011, 11:54:47 »
We're still optimizing the setup some, but I do not concur that the best way to handle errata is to duplicate them on the Errata page. One problem of the old Downloads page was that it *did* duplicate just about everything we served, including preview material. That made it effectively unusable. The specific intent is to offer tools and material on the Downloads page that has no real good 'home' elsewhere (IE< Chaos Campaign) or that's tool that helps play (IE, the BForce counters). There's been discussion about yanking the QSR stuff, as it's served elsewhere.
Bringing that up to start discussion on that notion, not to silence it. ;)

I for one think you should leave the quick start rules visible in as many places as you can so new people do not get frustrated trying to find them.  There is obviously a limit, but I would try to make sure they are posted everywhere someone might reasonably go to look for them.

Beyond that I would appreciate a more BT themed skin for the forums in something other than white because that gets tiring to read after a while, and I would add the following sites to the links page as they are incredibly useful resources.

The BT wiki:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

Solaris Skunk Werks:
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/

MegaMek:
http://megamek.info/

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #79 on: 28 October 2011, 12:12:59 »
Most points have been made.
I agree that links should only be business partners. Also, make sure the 'Community Play" only shows upcoming and current evenst as said above. Anything outdated gives a bad vibe to readers.
That's all from my end, boss.
Maker of big things.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 28 October 2011, 12:13:38 »
I for one think you should leave the quick start rules visible in as many places as you can so new people do not get frustrated trying to find them.  There is obviously a limit, but I would try to make sure they are posted everywhere someone might reasonably go to look for them.

Yeah, that's our current thinking as well, hence why they're in 2 spots right now.

Beyond that I would appreciate a more BT themed skin for the forums

Yep, as indicated, it's on the list.

Paul

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #81 on: 28 October 2011, 12:36:55 »
The German link doesn't only link to a somewhat empty forum, it actually links to the wrong page. Battletech.info hasn't been the official website for years. The correct link would be http://www.battletech.de/
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 28 October 2011, 12:43:31 »
The German link doesn't only link to a somewhat empty forum, it actually links to the wrong page. Battletech.info hasn't been the official website for years. The correct link would be http://www.battletech.de/

Fixed!
(Boy, I coulda known better)

Paul

Precentor Martial

• Managing Developer
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #83 on: 28 October 2011, 13:11:59 »
Hey all,

Thanks for the great set of comments...checking many of them off as quickly as we can.

There was a fair bit of feedback that the front page didn't have enough eye candy to instantly grab someone. While I want to be careful not to overload the page, I've given it a shot and added an image to the front page. A few questions I'd like answered, if any of you are up for it.

1. Does it clutter the page up too much?
2. Does it work just fine?
3. Does it work but it's actually not enough of the image; i.e. it should be a little bigger to provide more of what's going on?
4. What if that was turned into a slider gallery that cycled through a half a dozen to a dozen images every 5 to 7 seconds...would you like that better?

If there's anything else pertaining to this one important change, by all means, let me know.

Thanks!

Randall

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #84 on: 28 October 2011, 13:16:56 »
I think the front page looks great! however the name Battletech: The board game... hmm I know you can call it what you want but it really doesn't have a good ring too it though.  The 1st box sets way back when Battletech A Game of Armored Combat was cool and eyecatching! Haven't played around with the other links to the stuff yet but will do that later.

Also Randall just got your book Paths to Glory will read it when I can got the other novels to read 1st :)

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #85 on: 28 October 2011, 13:25:21 »
I'll add myself to the list of people who don't like "BattleTech: The Board Game" or the olive branch

Rather than a logo, I see text that reads "Catalyst Game Labs Logo" at the top right corner.

The "Leap into Action" link is small enough that I missed it the first few times I looked at the page.

Why are all the links across the bottom of the page there twice, in different sizes?

The big blank space at the top between the BattleTech logo and the text for the CLG Logo feels like a gaping hole.   Will there be something to fill it, or just an image of some sort?

The BattleTech logo with it's steel plank background looks weird surrounded by a sea of white.   I'd suggest getting rid of the white background for the whole section above the yellow menu bar, and having the same background all the way across.

Glad to see the end of the pop-out boxes on the new announcemnets.

[edit]
And since Randall posted while I was typing, yes, I like the slider gallery idea.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Sunder Prime

• Corporal
« Reply #86 on: 28 October 2011, 13:28:00 »

What if that was turned into a slider gallery that cycled through a half a dozen to a dozen images every 5 to 7 seconds...would you like that better?

Yes, I would.  Also I would move it up into the dead space next to the BattleTech Header.  A gallery of the full sized images would also be great. 

Not a huge deal, but why did BattleTech become Battletech?

Xtrahmxwohld

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Utinni! A beton nya mombay m'bwa!
« Reply #87 on: 28 October 2011, 13:33:53 »
1. Does it clutter the page up too much?
2. Does it work just fine?
3. Does it work but it's actually not enough of the image; i.e. it should be a little bigger to provide more of what's going on?
4. What if that was turned into a slider gallery that cycled through a half a dozen to a dozen images every 5 to 7 seconds...would you like that better?

1) No,  It adds to the page quite nicely
2) Yep
3) Yes, make it about 30% bigger so you can show more of the scene
4) That would be sweet, maybe not ever 5 to 7 seconds, that'd be nausea inducing. Maybe every couple of minutes.
CDT Agent #319

ApokalypseTest

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #88 on: 28 October 2011, 14:12:23 »
4) Maybe every 10-15 secs - every couple minutes might be too few to ever be noticed.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 28 October 2011, 14:49:28 »
10 seconds would be amusing. ;)

Paul

Register