Author Topic: IS ProtoMech Rules discussion  (Read 24430 times)

Maxxx

• Private
Re: IS ProtoMech Rules discussion (not finalized yet)
« Reply #30 on: 01 January 2012, 04:24:18 »
You may integrate as much as you like. If you have any new ideas, please post them, I usually have my Wobbly units equipped with a lot of VERY experimental stuff to keep my players guessing. As expected protomechs were especially effective in confined spaces, a level II with 12 protomechs, 6 Battle Armor, and 3 machina dominei mechs was responsible for wiping out a wounded mercenary mech company in an industrial complex.

I will post the designs as soon as I get my stuff back from my friends house.

And by the way, refitted pirate kamikaze vindicators with assault lasers and riflemen with dual heavy plasma rifles also wreck havoc in mech formations O0
« Last Edit: 01 January 2012, 07:39:49 by Maxxx »

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #31 on: 01 January 2012, 13:19:01 »
...Sounds like somebody needs to fill out an AAR (After-Action Report)!
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 01 January 2012, 18:43:25 »
I'd also note that by 3085, clan tech is being produced, albeit in limited quantities by a number of IS powers, so you could also assme that apart from teh control unit, you're using clan tech.

Maxxx

• Private
« Reply #33 on: 02 January 2012, 05:36:23 »
Perhaps it is hard to get the clan-tech stuff that is only produced for protomechs, but most weapon systems should be available somewhere. Armor, internal structures and heat sinks might be harder to get.

I used some WoB scout protomechs that essentially had a 1ton electronics slot, usually filled with an IS light AP (1ton), IS light ECM (1ton) or TAG, but some were changed to mount a clan ECM or clan AP.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 02 January 2012, 08:12:19 »
Gyro: Nice idea with the gyro. We used two modifications:
For quad protos with 9 tons or less, the gyro only weighs 200kg if the units mounts no jump jets and the engine rating is 50 or less.
WoB Manei Domini can have the gyro removed if they use VDNI
Just wondering...
What about non-wobbies with VDNI?
NAIS developed the DNI, after all, so they'll probably have plans or prototypes of those laying about somewhere, provided it didn't get nuked in the jihad.
Also, what about the wobbie buffered VDNI?

Ofcourse, DNI is even more suicidal than both EI and VDNI, iirc.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Maxxx

• Private
« Reply #35 on: 02 January 2012, 17:31:28 »
Just wondering...
What about non-wobbies with VDNI?
NAIS developed the DNI, after all, so they'll probably have plans or prototypes of those laying about somewhere, provided it didn't get nuked in the jihad.
Also, what about the wobbie buffered VDNI?

Ofcourse, DNI is even more suicidal than both EI and VDNI, iirc.

Of course, anyone else with VDNI would be able to do so as well. I don't know about DNI, but since buffered VDNI eliminates the feedback from internal damage I would say that it cannot be used with protomechs.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #36 on: 04 January 2012, 03:48:08 »
The Fuel Cell idea REALLY intrigues me.  I like it.  However, I really like protos as a clan-exclusive unit.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Suralin

• Lieutenant
Re: IS ProtoMech Rules discussion
« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2012, 21:40:00 »
I've decided to update this. Increasing the weight of the internal types has pretty much necessitated Composites; not a single design of mine has had the weight to mount any significant armor *and* Standard internals, which kind of defeats the purpose of them being standard in the first place.

Internals table has been reset to the following:

Code: [Select]
Type Weight (% of max) Other effects

Standard 10% None

Industrial 20% None

Composite 5% Internal damage is doubled

Reinforced 20% Internal damage is halved (rd up); -1
modifier vs. crits

Figured I'd do this before anyone but me has to start editing their designs. Oh, and I'm editing the Optio and Huwei Quan to have standard internals again; I'm gonna have to edit their fluff a bit, too, as a result, but oh well.

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 02 July 2012, 17:40:41 »
Of course, anyone else with VDNI would be able to do so as well. I don't know about DNI, but since buffered VDNI eliminates the feedback from internal damage I would say that it cannot be used with protomechs.

DNI doesn't have feedback buffers. Instead, a drug called XA-3, developed by Dr. Diana Hunsaker, was implemented by Kale's team to counter the sensory overload and dangerous feedback. Without the drug, the pilot takes damage every time the 'Mech is hit, even if the strike doesn't penetrate the armor.

Truth be told, with the level of miniaturization required for such small machines, I don't see the Inner Sphere developing Protomechs without the dangerous DNI system, at worst.  Or at best, the Blakist VDNI is adapted for Protomech use. A conventional cockpit/gyro control system would, in all likelyhood, restrict IS Protos to the 10-15 ton range. And then you would have Ultralight Battlemechs, not Protomechs.

Anything lighter, you would need an exotic control system on par, or better than, Enhanced Imaging. And the Inner Sphere has those available. The only advanced control system I could see that would be excluded from Protomechs would be the Virtual Reality Piloting Pod (VRPP).

"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

DarthMetool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 23 October 2012, 23:48:43 »
Thought I'd put in my 2ยข worth in, here.  You guys have some awesome ideas, most are better than my own.  :(

Well, here is what I had before finding this thread.

Engine (Rated 39 or less)
Fusion: Rating x 27.5 kg
Fuel Cell: Rating x 35 kg
ICE: Rating x 55 kg

Cockpit: 800 kg (to represent a miniature gyro added)
Heat Sink: 375 kg

Jump Jets
2 to 5 tons: 75 kg/Jumping MP
6 to 9 tons: 150 kg/Jumping MP

Armor
Standard: 62.5 kg/point
Advanced: 55 kg/point (can only mount one weapon of up to 1000 kg in torso)
Primitive: 90 kg/point

Does any of this help at all?
"John Hancock.  Wait, you want MY signature?"
The TRB Military Catalog
GENERATION 45: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #40 on: 24 October 2012, 01:47:48 »
...Mine are set it stone - they were such a pain to write and playtest.  I'm working on the programs to create the book itself now.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder