Author Topic: ATM HE vs SRM  (Read 5549 times)

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
ATM HE vs SRM
« on: 04 January 2012, 05:29:51 »
I'm finding myself making clan tech designs replacing standard SRMs with ATMs using HE ammo even though they eat up more space and weight simply due to having more tubes and and better damage 50% for ATM 3-9 vs SRM 2-6 and double for ATM 12 vs SRM 6.

another nail in my usage of standard clan SRMs is that ATM come with Artemis IV in the package so that i have a better hit chance.

pretty much the only time i use SRMs is when i use streaks.

to me this smells of a potential breakthrough in SRM tech.

thoughts?
« Last Edit: 04 January 2012, 05:31:39 by AJC46 »

Demos

• Captain
Re: ATM HE vs SRM
« Reply #1 on: 04 January 2012, 06:14:26 »
Two points to consider:
1) The SRM is a dedicated crit-seeker, while the ATM damage is split in 5 point groups
2) The SRM standard rack can use specialized ammo, e.g. infernoes vs. BA/vehicles and frag vs. infantry

For raw damage the SRM will also be superior ton by ton compared to an ATM launcher.

If you play only vs. mechs, then yes, SRMs could be easily replaced by SSRM and/or ATMs.
If you play in a rich and colourfuil universe, using all types of combatants and options like fire and smoke, the SRM will remain as a valid weapon choice.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 04 January 2012, 06:38:07 »
i tend to use plasma cannons and/or small pulses with HE ATMs for vees and PBI/BA

really nasty combo and clan small pulses have the advantage of still being legit weapons for close range knife fighting vs other mechs.

especially paired plasma cannons because nothing says love like sending the other guy from a chilly zero to a toasty potential disrupting 24 heat.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2012, 06:44:06 by AJC46 »

Gus

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2012, 07:06:45 »
especially paired plasma cannons because nothing says love like sending the other guy from a chilly zero to a toasty potential disrupting 24 heat.

Apart from the fact that mechs can only take a maximum of 15 points of heat from external sources.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2012, 07:55:45 »
If you're talking ATMs, then you're talking Clan tech, and in that case the comparison to SRMs is misleading. The better comparison is against Clan LRMs. Clan LRMs match ATMs for damage on a ton-for-ton basis except at ranges 1-3, but give you indirect fire and a multitude of alternate ammos denied to ATMs.

Clan LRMs render Clan ATMs and non-Streak SRMs redundant.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

AJC46

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2012, 08:26:29 »
^ i don't use ATM standard or ER they are indeed outclassed by clan LRMs

HE ATM ammo isn't unless you have the space to spam clan LRM 15/20s

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2012, 12:40:25 »
Unfortunately, not carrying standard or ER ammo on ATMs tends to relegate the weapon to bracket firing, unless we're talking about alpha-striking 'Mech builds and/or vehicles, in which no ER or std. ammo means reducing the overall potential of the weapon altogether.  If you're stuck with taking an ATM launcher and you don't have the choice of taking something different, it might be prudent to take one ton of Standard or ER in case you don't win initiative rolls.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2012, 12:56:27 by Youngblood »

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2012, 12:48:47 »
^ i don't use ATM standard or ER they are indeed outclassed by clan LRMs

Good man. Someone has seen through the ATM public relations machine. :)

HE ATM ammo isn't unless you have the space to spam clan LRM 15/20s

HE ATM ammo isn't, but if you want the firepower of HE ATMs, you need to have ATMs on the unit using tonnage that'd be better applied to other weapons. It's kind of like wasting tonnage on a melee weapon: melee weapons are fun when you get to point blank range and can use them, but otherwise they're tonnage stolen from weapons that can be used much more often.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2012, 13:02:14 »
+1 for truth, though again, ATM HE is kind of a lot of fun, especially on faster 'Mechs/vehicles.

What's the ratio of damage-clusters-to-tonnage for ATM HE vs. SRM racks?  Are they also comparable to LB-X autocannons for that?

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2012, 13:23:37 »
Morrigan!! }:)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Wrayth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2012, 23:09:17 »
iATMs - no rolling for cluster hits except when firing indirectly.  Streak technology ftw.  I'm not sure if the Society used any of them in the Clan Occupation Zones during the Wars of Reaving, though, or if they were limited to the Clan Homeworlds.  If the latter, it's unlikely they'll make an appearance unless you're playing in a Homeworlds-based game.  :(
"If brute force isn't working, you obviously aren't using enough of it."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #11 on: 07 January 2012, 00:58:48 »
iATMs - no rolling for cluster hits except when firing indirectly.  Streak technology ftw.  I'm not sure if the Society used any of them in the Clan Occupation Zones during the Wars of Reaving, though, or if they were limited to the Clan Homeworlds.  If the latter, it's unlikely they'll make an appearance unless you're playing in a Homeworlds-based game.  :(

The Falcons seemed to be the only IS Clan that had significant problems with the Society.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register