Author Topic: Mech of the week: Malak C-MK-O  (Read 4049 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
Mech of the week: Malak C-MK-O
« on: 08 September 2017, 21:02:10 »
Alright you screw jobs, this is your last briefing on the Toaster Heads and their Celestial series machines covering the Malak.  Corporal, hit the lights and queue the holo.  *starts reading from a holo pad* Malak was a male who reigned as Dark Lord of the Sith during the Jedi Civil War.  Before becoming a Sith Lord....*  What a second, who *%$ with my presentation?  Seriously, who the hell, screwed my holo?  Was that you Jonesy? Ah hell with it, I'll shoot this one from the hip.

The name Malak is name common to a few tongues and considered another name for an Angel or messenger.  Our Toaster worshipers love their naming conventions.  For a light and speedy mech the name is apt. It possesses decent speed when compared to its contemporaries such as the Razorback, Anubis, and the Word of Blake’s own Gurkha.

The Malak has 9.5 tons of pod space for weapons and equipment.  That is comparable to most of those other designs, but somewhat lacking when compared to the Kell Hound’s Arctic Fox or the Clan’s Kit Fox.  Unlike these other designs, the weight savings measures in this mech lead to a very cramped interior arraignment and in some cases some questionable weapon’s placement.

The Clan equivalent would most likely be the Arctic Cheetah. However, the more advanced construction materials of the Clans mean that the in order to achieve a similar allowance for weapons and equipment had to be made up elsewhere. The Malak, like other Celestials, uses a Light engine to achieve the same measure of serviceability as a Clan mech.  However the increased bulk of Inner Sphere Endo Steel, less effective Light Ferro armor, and XL gyro substantially offset this benefit.  The ability to pod mount jump jets is difficult because of how little pod space is left available in the torso.  Despite the lack of space, the Malak manages to make a decent, but not ideal, use of its woefully small space in most cases.

*holo sputters back on*

Ah good, it looks like someone managed to get things working again which is good for all of you.  That means you won't be spit shining the barracks for the whole weekend.  Let's take a look at the configurations the Blakists came up with for this thing.

Configurations:
Invictus (Prime)- This weapon configuration leaves a bit to be desired.  The choice of a Light PPC for long range firepower is sound and a flamer gives the design a solid weapon when conventional infantry will be encountered.  The SRM-2 and retractable blade take up close to half of the tonnage when you count in the CASE for protection of the ammo.  Alternate munitions improve the value of the SRM launcher however the size of the launcher makes for a large waste of tonnage best use for something else.

Dominus (A)- Featuring 2 Light Machine Gun Arrays, this is a dedicated infantry slayer.  The Arrays are backed up by 2 ER Medium Lasers, and 2 Flamers.  CASE protects the ammo from the MGs from outright destroying the mech and killing our VDNI equipped toaster worshiper outright from an explosion.

Our first case of obvious ‘space waste’ is evident here.  When you have a small cockpit you should utilize that space and fill the critical space up.  The only justification for this seems to be to keep one of the ER Mediums in the arm to allow the design to flip into the rear firing arc.  Things are probably pretty bad at this point if you have to worry about flipping arms to hit something your rear!

Infernus (B)- The Infernus features a Snub Nose PPC, 2 ER Medium Lasers, and an ECM suite.  It checks off pretty much all the high points you would want in a light mech with the exception of jump jets.  The Snub is in the head so you are unlikely to be robbed of your most effective weapon by a fluke lucky hit. 

Comminus (C)- Sporting TAG for Arrow IV and Semi Guided LRM spotting, this configuration also has an ECM suite, 2 ER medium lasers, and 3 ER small lasers slaved into a targeting computer.  An Active Probe and B-pod round out this configuration as a slightly larger version of the Mongoose and hence forth this configuration will be known as the Celestial Mongoose.

The head wastes an additional slot like the Dominus from earlier.  The inclusion of a B-Pod on this design is an extremely questionable use of tonnage and space.  Certainly battle armor is more of a concern and more prolific than at any other earlier point in history, but as an offensive or defensive option for a battle mech that should be carrying battle armor itself this comes off as a giant waste.  The extra ton would have probably been better spent upgrading one or more of those weapons mentioned earlier to a pulse laser which is lacking from all but one Malak configuration.

Luminos (D)- 2 Light PPCs, 2 ER medium lasers, and 3 ER small lasers make for a balanced light mech capable of fighting at multiple ranges and decent light raider to boot.  The extra space from the Small cockpit is again wasted.  It isn’t a critical flaw in this configuration, but does highlight the issues with the cramped space present in the left torso of the design.  Had the C3i been pod mounted, rather than built in, you could feasibly place it into the head instead.

Eminus (E)-  The Eminus features a Light PPC, 2 ER medium lasers, and a Thunderbolt-5.  I suppose there isn’t many ways this variant could go in another direction with a Thunderbolt.  If you remove the Thunderbolt in favor of something else there are only a handful of options to go to and other configurations have touched on them already.
Adding another Light PPC instead of the Thunderbolt and you have a Luminos.   Replacing additional weapons to mount a Light AC-5 with a ton of ammo is underwhelming.  Adding another Thunderbolt in place of the Light PPC would give it a Hammer like flavor but with very little endurance due to the smaller amount of shots per ton provided when compared to a standard LRM launcher.

Caelestis (S)- taking the Razorback 9T a step further, this variant goes with an ER PPC with a capacitor attached.  Secondary weaponry is limited to 3 ER small lasers.  The threat of a long range head cap makes this version something that can’t be taken lightly.

Mi- this configuration is the personal ride of Mi Tomitaki of the Opacus Venatori.  It features a pair of Medium VSPs, an ER Small Laser, and a supercharger for extra speed.  While the range of the VSP is limited, the punch and respect it will command at medium and knife fighting ranges against other light mechs and even light end mediums is impressive.  It is a shame this is a one off design rather than a common configuration.

Conclusions:
There are so many things you can say about this design.  To be succinct it is a design that is too busy for its own good.  First and foremost, this is the Celestial that makes the case for C3i to be pod mounted.  And while there is nothing in the rules that state you must have a uniform mounting of jump jets across different torsos, opening up space in the left torso would definitely give more flexibility in designing other configurations.  That includes freeing up the arms to include hand actuators for melee.  That is probably a personal bias, but punching someone in the cockpit is just as much of a terror tactic as spearing them with a retractable blade.

Like the Grigori I believe it would also benefit from an XL engine, but for an entirely different reason.  If you make the move to a pod mounted C3I you can free up space, ditch the XL Gyro, and still pick up a ton in pod space.  One additional ton in this case nets you a host of options for most configurations.  It gets you to 10 tons and means you can carry a Heavy PPC which the Osiris and Razorback can already do.  That one extra ton on most configurations could nab you a PPC capacitor, a Targeting computer, or a larger missile launcher.  I consider those benefits worth it in almost every configuration.

My other chief complaint is there is not a large variety in the different configurations from one another. You have configurations that feature different varieties or numbers of PPCs or ER Medium Lasers.   You could have a decent light fire support platform by restructuring the Eminus.  The Caelestis would probably be a better design without the capacitor and/or better secondary weaponry.  The capacitor(s) could rightly go on the Luminous instead of some of the existing auxiliary weaponry to allow for alternating augmented damage from the Light PPCs.

The configurations are spot on for the Infernus, Luminos, and the Mi.  The other configurations though need improvement to be as good as or better than the non-Omnimechs that the WoB possess.  The only real asset that the Malak possesses over a conventional battlemech is the ability to transport battle armor.  Even then, a few of these configurations are robbed of their principle weaponry until they drop off their hitch hikers.

Previous articles on the MD and their tech:

Sarna overview of the Manei Domini

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Manei_Domini

Additional information about implants
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=20507.msg1164613#msg1164613

The other Celestials:

Deva:  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=21376.msg478084#msg478084
Archangel:  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=18562.0
Seraph:  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=19192.msg431950#msg431950
Grigori:  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57805.0
Preta:  http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58509.0

*used with respect to original author http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Malak

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Mech of the week: Malak C-MK-O
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2017, 05:02:53 »
excellent article on a strangely sub-par mech that as you say, is too busy for its own good.  The humor at the start got a good chuckle out of me.  You're bang on with the Variants mostly being a mix of swapping PPC and laser numbers around and they are very samey.  But limited by the weight costs of IS weapons its hard to squeeze a worthwhlle armament onto it. As you said, this is one of the Celestials that's yelling out for an XL engine.  Sure you loose survivability, but you're in a light, if something tags you hard, you won't have to worry about your armour holding, in most cases, it won't, so the added risk of an XL engine is largely lost because if you get hit then you're going to die anyhow.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2017, 09:03:19 »
Configurations:

Dominus (A)- Featuring 2 Light Machine Gun Arrays, this is a dedicated infantry slayer.  The Arrays are backed up by 2 ER Medium Lasers, and 2 Flamers.  CASE protects the ammo from the MGs from outright destroying the mech and killing our VDNI equipped toaster worshiper outright from an explosion.

Our first case of obvious ‘space waste’ is evident here.  When you have a small cockpit you should utilize that space and fill the critical space up.  The only justification for this seems to be to keep one of the ER Mediums in the arm to allow the design to flip into the rear firing arc.  Things are probably pretty bad at this point if you have to worry about flipping arms to hit something your rear!

Excuse me Lieutenant Firesprocket sir, but given the probability the Dominus will be surrounded by infantry, the arm flip ability of the ER laser could be useful for attacking units supporting the infantry, e.g. tanks and battle armor. (Of course the smart Toaster Worshiper will jump out of that particular spot ASAP, but still.)
« Last Edit: 11 September 2017, 09:06:16 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2017, 13:58:07 »
First off, I'm sure Celestial Mongoose has been used for something already...

But as to the Malak... one can say the same things about it as the other Celestials.  Many of it's variants are useable or even compitent, but there are no real standouts outside the unique variant in my mind, and yet one knows that as part of a level II of Manai Dominis, the pure skill and power of the verious implants would carry the day despite suboptimum design choices.

I agree I'd have seen an XL.  The whole series seems to shy away from them, which I don't mind on the whole (though I quite like them) but here I'd like to see either more speed (first choice, since you need your C3 spotter to get in close fast) or just more pod space, to alow more chance to make fun configurations.

As to the Comminus, it seems on the face of it to make the most sense, since the Celstials are all about team work.  But, there's no Celestial LRM boat to really bring the semi-guided pain.  This means either an MD in another mech (possible) or else providing targeting data for 'frails' which seems beneath the dignity of a Manai Domini. 

Now, I think I can get why the Celstials look like they do; they needed to be unique, and it wasn't desirable that there should be a Celstial Archer, or Enforcer, or Panther, so they all have to have funny sets of SNPPCs and LPPCs (still don't like snubbies).  But the Archer and Enforcer and Panther are solid designs, and avoiding emulating all the famous and successful mechs means you miss out on a lot of possabilities. 
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2017, 14:06:01 »
Good spotter i think for the WoB, i don't like the configurations.  I like the snubbies, but i can't imagine Shadow Divisions using this thing for infantry duty that often.  If your close enough using small lasers on enemy machine, you may have bigger issues. Like getting cored because of your armor.

Funny article,  Firesprocket!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2017, 23:37:39 »
Excuse me Lieutenant Firesprocket sir, but given the probability the Dominus will be surrounded by infantry, the arm flip ability of the ER laser could be useful for attacking units supporting the infantry, e.g. tanks and battle armor. (Of course the smart Toaster Worshiper will jump out of that particular spot ASAP, but still.)
The laser in and of itself is no more than a token weapon.  I agree that a 360 degree arc of fire is good and for practical purposes of exterminating infantry, but offering support, not so much.  I'd have rather had a pair of SRM-4 in place of the MGAs and the ER Small.  You could roll with infernos at that point.  More effective vs. a wider range of targets and better range than the MGAs.  I enjoy a good MGA burst as much as the next person, but there are more effective ways at killing infantry and still retaining some utility.

Many of it's variants are useable or even compitent, but there are no real standouts outside the unique variant in my mind, and yet one knows that as part of a level II of Manai Dominis, the pure skill and power of the verious implants would carry the day despite suboptimum design choices.
It defiantly helps, but I don't believe that implants are going to tip the favor in the case of the worst variants in favor of the Malak.

I agree I'd have seen an XL.  The whole series seems to shy away from them, which I don't mind on the whole (though I quite like them) but here I'd like to see either more speed (first choice, since you need your C3 spotter to get in close fast) or just more pod space, to allow more chance to make fun configurations.

As to the Comminus, it seems on the face of it to make the most sense, since the Celstials are all about team work.  But, there's no Celestial LRM boat to really bring the semi-guided pain.  This means either an MD in another mech (possible) or else providing targeting data for 'frails' which seems beneath the dignity of a Manai Domini.

I don't think any additional speed is really going to help the design.  I call it a push.  It you go to 8/12 there is little additional defensive benefit.  It does allow for an extra turn out of movement or traverse broken terrain better and potentially expect to retain that +4 movement modifier.  It gets the extra half ton to get to to 10+ ton pod space.  Personal bias is that XL gyro would still be around.  On the other hand I think the inclusion of jump jets would improve the design dramatically.  The problem is, where do you put them in such a crowded chassis?

With the constraints of space, the Malak makes a good case for some sort of mixed tech that other Celestials used.  Clan LRMs make sense here either in the case of a couple LRM-10s or 3 or 4 LRM-5s.  Pulses are largely missing on this chassis and using ER Medium Pulse makes some sense in the context of variants on other designs.

Now, I think I can get why the Celstials look like they do; they needed to be unique, and it wasn't desirable that there should be a Celstial Archer, or Enforcer, or Panther, so they all have to have funny sets of SNPPCs and LPPCs (still don't like snubbies).  But the Archer and Enforcer and Panther are solid designs, and avoiding emulating all the famous and successful mechs means you miss out on a lot of possabilities. 

I agree with most of that.  I like Snubs and I don't think the choice of that weapon for the Infernus was out of place or horrible, but the case to make is that there are better balanced weapons that one could put on the design, but probably not for the exact same weight.  The cheap way out is stick a Clan ER PPC in place of the Snub.  Some sort of variety of Large laser makes some sense.  Plasma would make the next best sense, but then you have to carry ammo and lose out more fire power.

Good spotter i think for the WoB, i don't like the configurations.  I like the snubbies, but i can't imagine Shadow Divisions using this thing for infantry duty that often.  If your close enough using small lasers on enemy machine, you may have bigger issues. Like getting cored because of your armor.
Aye, the configurations vary from 'what we would expect' to down right dreadful.  As much as I like Snubs, the configuration is pretty vanilla.

Funny article,  Firesprocket!
I am glad you enjoyed it.  I try and find a little nugget of pop to write into the article.  The bigger nugget at the beginning I just happened upon by accident when I did my last edit before posting.