Author Topic: Indexed: The Ngo Saga (central directory of reposted ‘Cannonshop’ stories)  (Read 53989 times)

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
Deathrider6, you should post them here so we can have a fix of our prefered psycho! :) [rockon] [cheers]

croaker

• Lieutenant
Or at least post 'em on the web somewhere for download.... pretty please?

Deathrider6

• General Counsel Ngo Industries
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
It will be a wee bit but I will see what I can do. Posting them will take a lot there are over 900 single spaced pages of Ngo goodness:)
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

RAW

• Master Sergeant
Speaking of Cannonshop, is he still on the forums?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
He's around. But not very active.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Lrrk, lrrk..lrrrk...

In a few months, I may be setting up a wordpress to hold Ngoverse materials as well as a series of fanfics written over on the STO boards. (some of those are rather quite massive) as well as an original "Superhero" story I've been fiddling with the last couple months.

said original story is, well... probably the worst thing I've ever written. Including the stuff from grade school, so you're forewarned if it does happen that people will be able to read it. (before that happens, I'll have to decide how much I hate the whole world...)

as Liam's Ghost said, I"m not gone, just really, really inactive.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

RAW

• Master Sergeant
Any Btech new stories coming our way soon . Your body of work is one of my favorites cannon or not  O0

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
... map of Kowloon ...

ahem...

;)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Let me see if I can find a way to get a round tuit.  (Much rarer than a square tuit...)

I'll have to dig, I think I actually DID start a map-making project when I started the second or third revision of the setting.  If fortune smiles upon me, it'll still exist.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DOC_Agren

• Major
a map of Kowloon, wow...

a place with so much history, unofficially, but still damm good.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
He had it done but never finished it. For those interested I have a compliation of most of the Ngoverse stuff. I imagine I will have to get CS a copy too.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2015, 21:31:37 by Deathrider6 »
"You're either with me, or you hate freedom and kittens. " - consequences on VSD and a draw result of the Great Refusal.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
Please post them. We can't get enough of Loonies here!  :)) :)) :)) :))

croaker

• Lieutenant
Hmm, which version is "...and every mother's son" from? The setup seems to be rather different with Liz's relationship to Kowloon than most of the stories I've read.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Hmm, which version is "...and every mother's son" from? The setup seems to be rather different with Liz's relationship to Kowloon than most of the stories I've read.

First series.  Definitely first series.  ISTR that it was the first go-round writing about Falcons hitting Kowloon, the munchfactor was very high (even for me) and there were more influences from writers like John Ringo and others, also Liz didn't have a terminal illness in that series, she was 'only' battling epilepsy and psychosis.  Later series I tried to tone down/regulate her insanity and in compensation,ramped up her genetic defect into a full-blown nightmare syndrome, and I also both toned down and ramped up the munch simultaneously, moving from employing what amounts to "Super Mercs" and instead focusing on organically developing better native levies that were less...goofy? in power.

At some point in the first series, I made Liz a terrible mom-as in "The state will have custody because you're an unstable, abusive, bitch."  Later series I toned down or eliminated most of THAT in favour of just making her distant with her children.

First series she ends up being Peter's.  Second series, she ends up having a short-lived affair with the man (producing Amanda) but it never goes long-term, he never proposes.

FGC series, that relationship never happens, instead both Amanda and Patrick (Now twins) were pulled from her dying body one month premature and their father was a one-night fling with Jaime Wolf on Terra.  (FGC was WEIRD) Notably, in the FGC game, Jaime Wolf was her 'first'-he took her virginity the same night he got her pregnant (after a diplomatic 'party' of sorts), neither of them expected anything to happen and she didn't find out until she was en-route home-he found out through Wolfnet.  (I kept the local social taboos in place for that version of Kowloon- single-mom is okay, abortion is not okay, it's a defect to make them a bit less 'enlightened'.)  In the FGC's version, Jaime "Did the right thing" and legitimized the kids,though he only got custody of the boy.  (The daughter, born a few minutes earlier, was the heir to the estate and the locals would have none of that whole 'absentee landlord crap'. Amanda was raised by foster parents on Kowloon).  The FGC 'verse was all sorts of weird-we had a jump late in the game to a much later time period, allowing me to have Amanda and Patrick as adults.  Backgrounding with the TH player (GM) at the time meant Patrick wasn't a total stranger, and Amanda's father did get visitation until he was killed in battle, and the Dragoons' Beta Regiment hung out for a while on Kowloon to look out for 'his kid' and make sure she wasn't being, you know, warped or anything the way her mum was.

and yes, 'Auntie' Maeve did exert some influence on both of them after Jaime died.

Most of that material IS long gone.  Intelser did, iirc, a housecleaning when they were setting up the 'next' FGC game and I wasn't quite smart or quick enough to grab the RP material in whole from that version.

Fourth version was the collaborations with BlackTigerActual, involving the 90th.  those stories never got to the time point where Liz gets knocked up, I'm not sure who the father would be if they did-maybe one of the Tigers, maybe one of their dependents, or the kids could end up being the genetically modified 'cannister clones' because Liz wouldn't survive a pregnancy.

no tellin', I don't know.

Fifth (but tied to second) is teh version of kowloonese that featured in the hunted tribes stories.  Those basically lost momentum pretty quickly when we started the rewrite.  People got busy with life, lost interest, etc.  For my part, that series kind of marked the start of the decline for my marriage, and I ended up on-hiatus indefinitely while dealing with domestic collapse at home.  (I managed to hold things together until 2013 or so, but all of my activities suffered over that process.)

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
hence why i posted its original posting date at the first. 

...and every Mother's son will suffer.
as posted on 01/28/03
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

DOC_Agren

• Major
Cannonshop, I will admit that the FGC was my 1st taste of Ngo, and wow did I love your writing and went back to see all others

I kinda wish you could bring this to the offical status with CBT, it was that good
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Cannonshop, I will admit that the FGC was my 1st taste of Ngo, and wow did I love your writing and went back to see all others

I kinda wish you could bring this to the offical status with CBT, it was that good

there were a great many very Good reasons that wasn't about to happen.  Movement to a Canon status would require a great deal of balancing work for one-  The Canon Battletech is an entity that has to have long-term legs and maintain 'game-ability' for new and old players alike, number one. 

Number two, is that the Canon is Jordan Weisman's universe, even when he lets go of the controls, it's the 'verse of the people carrying the ball of his legacy.  At that time, those people were pretty much the SAME people we have doing it now (at least, at the top), while in the later incarnations I tried much harder to 'fit' it into their 'verse, I made quite a few mis-calculations and ended up with something that really didn't fit the direction the Canon timeline was going.

My stuff doesn't fit.  didn't fit.  My 'style' clashes too much with the established way things pan out.  I actually had a chance to write for the first Jihad sourcebook, and ended up dropping out of the freelancer pool entirely because I couldn't pull off good material when it counted (i.e. when I was working to be paid.)  Teh best I ever managed were four writeups in one Mercs book, and three in a second.  that's it, that's my total writing for canon...and note that nothing I did for those, led anywhere-nobody picked up the ball I dropped in the playground.

why?

My stuff didn't fit.  It actually kinda sucked...and that was an opportunity to get something that didn't suck published with my name attached-as canon.  I blew my chance, because what I wrote was GARBAGE.  In the final analysis with a few years now between then and now, I recognize that fact.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
I remember you talking, obliquely, about the Merc write-ups over the years, but I don't think I've ever heard you admit which ones were actually yours CS.  Is that something we'll ever know or is it something that you're keeping to yourself?

DOC_Agren

• Major
Cannonshop I understand that, but what I meant was not the over the top of Liz, but more how 1 planet could build up their own defense lines and "not" be super tech to do it, or do an Iran and build your own defense force infrastructure, and build close copy of other hardware with some new twist.  More like a Real military, and yes I know not much room for them.  But I don't recall Kowloon, having a large Mech Force.

I love your force designs, but I will admit I am Steiner loyalist.. and if truth be told I would be Heimdall often acts as self-appointed guardians of the Lyran people.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2015, 21:08:22 by DOC_Agren »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
There's not much room for a real militaries in the battletech universe.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Cannonshop I understand that, but what I meant was not the over the top of Liz, but more how 1 planet could build up their own defense lines and "not" be super tech to do it, or do an Iran and build your own defense force infrastructure, and build close copy of other hardware with some new twist.  More like a Real military, and yes I know not much room for them.  But I don't recall Kowloon, having a large Mech Force.

I love your force designs, but I will admit I am Steiner loyalist.. and if truth be told I would be Heimdall often acts as self-appointed guardians of the Lyran people.

a lot of the problem has to do with the nature of BT militaries vs. so-called 'realistic' ones, for instance with Kowloon, I made the decision early on to cut the variety of specific designs filling the same role.  It was a basic mechanical engineering thing-50mm guns don't fire 20mm shells very well, or 100mm shells at all.  (the sheer quantity of bore-sizes, not even limited by manufacturer or model, in the TRO's for something as simple as AC-10 weapons...)  I was applying real-world economics to a setting that was and is decidedly heroic fantasy, and basing my decision tree on real-world history.  (The German Army in 1940 had literally dozens of different, non-compatible, 'Standard' 8mm rifle rounds in their inventory-same bore size (Roughly) but it meant that there was a real possibility that your infantry company equipped with Mausers would find their next ammo shipment was ammunition for Steyr-Mannlichers.  The 8x57 Mauser cartridge is rimless and the shell has a different diameter from the 8x56R cartridge used by Austria, Hungary, Romania...and there were two versions of the Mauser cartridge-the 7.92x57mmS, and the J-their bullets were different diameters, one was pointed, the other a rounded off cylinder...)  Simplifying to a standard ammunition means needing fewer warehouses and getting more per tonne from the same factory.

The problem is, Canon relies heavily on 'Variety'.  In a given CANON formation of 36 'mechs, (a battalion) the tables can and do give up to 37 or more different types of what is basically the same job.

Logistically, this is termed a ******" (Gee, I hope the filter catches that one).  such situations are crushingly expensive in the real-world, because time=money, and every pound of cargo (every kilo) is expensive-you can only abstract so far before it becomes ridiculous.  (the aforementioned AC/5 or 10 with twenty some odd different canon calibers...)

but it doesn't fit with the Aesthetic of uniqueness, nor does it work with the random-unit-generation mechanics that are a major part of the game's campaign structure, and by extension, storyline.

That's game mechanics.

There's another reason the stuff I wrote can't ever be incorporated into Battletech-the politics doesn't work in-game.

For the armies at their canon sizes to work, with the level of heroics they operate at, people like Liz and her folks simply can not afford to exist in the Canon universe.  A battlemech Battalion has a combatant number about equal to an Infantry platoon.  add in techs and it gets to almost-but-not-quite infantry company sized. 

Battalions are capable of taking planets in the BTU.

Clan Clusters have teh same personnel shortage.  The only way this works, is politics and population sentiment.  A good parallel would be if the U.S. conquered Iraq in 2002 using only a single regiment with an attached wing of fighters, and were able to secure and occupy the country with that tiny force,rather than the multiple divisions it ACTUALLY took.

Politically in canon, then, the general populace of the Inner Sphere (and Clan Homeworlds, and everythign in between) is almost obsessively apathetic and submissive to a point that would be unrealistic even in the most oppressive real-world nations.

Kowloon, as written, isn't.

This poses a serious problem with the Canon, if they were, as written by me, brought into the Canon.  The problem being that it highlights a 'gap' that's been part of the setting for decades in real-time, it throws a monkeywrench in the whole thing, a sort of de-balancer that would require the powers that be to concoct or expand on potential equivalents in EVERY one of the Great Houses, and come up with some similarity minority among each of the SUCCESSFUL Clans.

which tosses the aesthetic of the lone 'mechwarrior hero right on it's ear.  That esthetic is vitally important to the popularity and longevity of the game itself-Battletech may be written by westerners, it may be a game developed in America and Western Europe, but the core of it is the Japanese anime 'Mecha' shows-and I mean all the way back to Robot Boy, through Gundam 0079, Macross, etc. etc.

and it's a key part of the setting.  What I wrote, meshes...poorly with that, moreso if it gets the level of attention necessary to fit into the broader story without disrupting it.  in the fan-fics, I've tried (at least, in the later cycles of them) to make the adjustments to fit, to lampshade the logical inconsistencies, and to incorporate explanations of WHY the rest of the galaxy is the way it is, while Kowloon (and later Arluna) are the way THEY are within it.

but incorporation into the broader Canon would be rather more difficult, esp. if you want to preserve the elements that have kept the franchise successful for as long as it has been successful.  (and believe me, we have players that weren't even born when the Clan Invasion was new, we have members of the writing and development team who are YOUNGER than the game.  It's successful beyond all normal predictions and all common sense projections.)

The final nail for me, is a matter of 'where and how does this work'.  Liz wouldn't make a ripple in the Free Worlds League, she wouldn't survive long enough to be interesting in the Draconis Combine, she'd be in a re-education center by the age of 10 in teh CapCon.  In Davion space she'd get too big, too fast-she'd literally eclipse the most important domestic elements there just on how she does her business.  The only way the Kowloon stories end up working and being interesting, is if she's Lyran, and they're Lyrans, or in the Lyran Commonwealth, because only there, can you have the necessary in-built conflicts while still allowing them to 'do their thing' without overturning the whole dinner table.

The national character of the Lyrans works, because there, the 'loonies are at a contrast that is visible, without being overwhelming.  The Lyrans make the right mistakes, mistakes the Davions don't, and the others wouldn't, they have just enough of the kind of economic focus that her approach is feasible without being over-the-top.

see, Liz in the Free Worlds would be just another separatist.  In Davion space, she'd be another impoverished broken-wheel baron, in the CapCon she'd be either an integral part of, or a declared enemy of, the State, in the Combine, she'd be executed.

DOC_Agren

• Major
I know... :-\  but just the same I want you to know there are some of us, well who love this group of Loonies!!

Still would like to see some more focus on the "difference" of ammo, etc.., maybe it just a small group of us, but still....

But then sitting in my old rocking chair,yelling at them young whippersnapper in the protomech armor running down the street.  Oh well

Dave Talley

• Major

sort of, many if not most planets have a population  in the 3-8 million range, 2-4 large cities with decent infrastructure, 1-2 large industries and 1 spaceport
so all you need in most cases is take the spaceport and the mil bases or industrial sites and everything worth taking is under control

to actually occupy a planet like this will need the commitment of 5-7 infantry regiments and at least a armor battalion  for each regiment

so yeah you can hop in, smash and grab, if successful you get reinforced and are off the planet in a couple months

if not, you run like hell for the dropships
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
sort of, many if not most planets have a population  in the 3-8 million range, 2-4 large cities with decent infrastructure, 1-2 large industries and 1 spaceport
so all you need in most cases is take the spaceport and the mil bases or industrial sites and everything worth taking is under control

to actually occupy a planet like this will need the commitment of 5-7 infantry regiments and at least a armor battalion  for each regiment

so yeah you can hop in, smash and grab, if successful you get reinforced and are off the planet in a couple months

if not, you run like hell for the dropships

The entire clan invasion disputes this.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
i've often figured that we haven't been getting the full story in regards to planetary militias.

i imagine you probably do have several regiments of infantry.. probably foot infantry with basic flak vests and rifles for the most part. maybe some light non-combat vehicles like trucks and jeeps to move them around. and probably all 'weekend warriors' like today's national guard.

if they have combat vehicles, it would probably be stuff made using support vee rules and fairly lightweight.

these kinds of units, if mobilized in time, can make a world harder to take (explaining why most attacks seem to try to avoid detection until the last minute, and try to quickly gain control) but they'd basically be 'invisible' in regards to mech level fighting. especially since they'd be spread out over a world fairly thinly once mobilized.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2015, 21:20:28 by glitterboy2098 »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
The battletech universe has been wishy washy about support units over the years. On the one side we'll get references to a small group of mechs taking an holding a planet with no support. On the other side we'll get mentions of vast conventional forces, even competing armies of conventional troops on the same planet. The clans though lie at the extreme end of the low side, as we have an actual count of how many warrior caste forces they actually have, and a mention that even their lowest unlisted planetary militia and police units still count towards that total. There arguably aren't enough clan warriors among all the clans to keep the peace over one conquered world, much less an entire occupation zone.

For my part I assume the clans employ local militia to keep order on their conquered worlds, even though it's actually contrary to certain points in the text.

Deathrider6

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant
  • Go ahead, try and run.
a lot of the problem has to do with the nature of BT militaries vs. so-called 'realistic' ones, for instance with Kowloon, I made the decision early on to cut the variety of specific designs filling the same role.  It was a basic mechanical engineering thing-50mm guns don't fire 20mm shells very well, or 100mm shells at all.  (the sheer quantity of bore-sizes, not even limited by manufacturer or model, in the TRO's for something as simple as AC-10 weapons...)  I was applying real-world economics to a setting that was and is decidedly heroic fantasy, and basing my decision tree on real-world history.  (The German Army in 1940 had literally dozens of different, non-compatible, 'Standard' 8mm rifle rounds in their inventory-same bore size (Roughly) but it meant that there was a real possibility that your infantry company equipped with Mausers would find their next ammo shipment was ammunition for Steyr-Mannlichers.  The 8x57 Mauser cartridge is rimless and the shell has a different diameter from the 8x56R cartridge used by Austria, Hungary, Romania...and there were two versions of the Mauser cartridge-the 7.92x57mmS, and the J-their bullets were different diameters, one was pointed, the other a rounded off cylinder...)  Simplifying to a standard ammunition means needing fewer warehouses and getting more per tonne from the same factory.

The problem is, Canon relies heavily on 'Variety'.  In a given CANON formation of 36 'mechs, (a battalion) the tables can and do give up to 37 or more different types of what is basically the same job.

Logistically, this is termed a ******" (Gee, I hope the filter catches that one).  such situations are crushingly expensive in the real-world, because time=money, and every pound of cargo (every kilo) is expensive-you can only abstract so far before it becomes ridiculous.  (the aforementioned AC/5 or 10 with twenty some odd different canon calibers...)

but it doesn't fit with the Aesthetic of uniqueness, nor does it work with the random-unit-generation mechanics that are a major part of the game's campaign structure, and by extension, storyline.

That's game mechanics.

There's another reason the stuff I wrote can't ever be incorporated into Battletech-the politics doesn't work in-game.

For the armies at their canon sizes to work, with the level of heroics they operate at, people like Liz and her folks simply can not afford to exist in the Canon universe.  A battlemech Battalion has a combatant number about equal to an Infantry platoon.  add in techs and it gets to almost-but-not-quite infantry company sized. 

Clan Clusters have teh same personnel shortage.  The only way this works, is politics and population sentiment.  A good parallel would be if the U.S. conquered Iraq in 2002 using only a single regiment with an attached wing of fighters, and were able to secure and occupy the country with that tiny force,rather than the multiple divisions it ACTUALLY took.

Politically in canon, then, the general populace of the Inner Sphere (and Clan Homeworlds, and everythign in between) is almost obsessively apathetic and submissive to a point that would be unrealistic even in the most oppressive real-world nations.

Kowloon, as written, isn't.

This poses a serious problem with the Canon, if they were, as written by me, brought into the Canon.  The problem being that it highlights a 'gap' that's been part of the setting for decades in real-time, it throws a monkeywrench in the whole thing, a sort of de-balancer that would require the powers that be to concoct or expand on potential equivalents in EVERY one of the Great Houses, and come up with some similarity minority among each of the SUCCESSFUL Clans.

which tosses the aesthetic of the lone 'mechwarrior hero right on it's ear.  That esthetic is vitally important to the popularity and longevity of the game itself-Battletech may be written by westerners, it may be a game developed in America and Western Europe, but the core of it is the Japanese anime 'Mecha' shows-and I mean all the way back to Robot Boy, through Gundam 0079, Macross, etc. etc.

and it's a key part of the setting.  What I wrote, meshes...poorly with that, moreso if it gets the level of attention necessary to fit into the broader story without disrupting it.  in the fan-fics, I've tried (at least, in the later cycles of them) to make the adjustments to fit, to lampshade the logical inconsistencies, and to incorporate explanations of WHY the rest of the galaxy is the way it is, while Kowloon (and later Arluna) are the way THEY are within it.

but incorporation into the broader Canon would be rather more difficult, esp. if you want to preserve the elements that have kept the franchise successful for as long as it has been successful.  (and believe me, we have players that weren't even born when the Clan Invasion was new, we have members of the writing and development team who are YOUNGER than the game.  It's successful beyond all normal predictions and all common sense projections.)

The final nail for me, is a matter of 'where and how does this work'.  Liz wouldn't make a ripple in the Free Worlds League, she wouldn't survive long enough to be interesting in the Draconis Combine, she'd be in a re-education center by the age of 10 in teh CapCon.  In Davion space she'd get too big, too fast-she'd literally eclipse the most important domestic elements there just on how she does her business.  The only way the Kowloon stories end up working and being interesting, is if she's Lyran, and they're Lyrans, or in the Lyran Commonwealth, because only there, can you have the necessary in-built conflicts while still allowing them to 'do their thing' without overturning the whole dinner table.

The national character of the Lyrans works, because there, the 'loonies are at a contrast that is visible, without being overwhelming.  The Lyrans make the right mistakes, mistakes the Davions don't, and the others wouldn't, they have just enough of the kind of economic focus that her approach is feasible without being over-the-top.

see, Liz in the Free Worlds would be just another separatist.  In Davion space, she'd be another impoverished broken-wheel baron, in the CapCon she'd be either an integral part of, or a declared enemy of, the State, in the Combine, she'd be executed.

As an interesting side note I did some VERY rough calcs and assuming that you were spending 1 % of your GDP (regardless of house) Forces were 20 % of what was possible even when factoring in payroll and wear and tear. This was factoring in training and all support costs including warships. To be honest these were VERY rough and a lot of WAGs were made based on a per capita income and a 10% tax rate.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
I've recently started to get the itch to mess around in the Ngoverse setting (Blame Liam's_Ghost and Gio for it...) but there's a tonne of rust on those old mechanisms.

not saying there's one coming, but, well, there might be.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes by posting here, but when it comes to planetary occupation, I think Jorah Mormont put it best when he said “The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the High Lords play their Game of Thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are."

If you live on a boarder world, you live under the knowledge that, any day, the people from the other side of that boarder might come raining down out of the sky. But while flags, uniforms, anthems and the face on money and stamps may change, the chances are life itself will continue on as before. The same people as before will deliver your mail, take away your trash, and administer your town. You'll shop in the same stores, send your children to the same schools, and live in the same house, while you wait to see if the guys who were in charge before come back. If not, life goes on, mainly on inertia.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
The idea that the common folk just endeavor to go about their lives gets pretty thin in spots (especially when taking into account the radical changes that come with going from, say, Capellan to Davion or davion to Capellan). But it's also probably the explanation that's going to fit the canon best.