Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: CRK-500*-* Crockett  (Read 34716 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: CRK-500*-* Crockett
« on: 18 October 2013, 16:06:22 »
’Mech of the Week: CRK-500*-* Crockett

Crockett. Named for Davy Crockett, the frontiersman hero/politician who died at the Alamo. (And whose name later became used for the lowest grade nuclear weapons in the BattleTech arsenal.) This 85-tonner outdid even the most optimistic of its designers’ hopes.

Designed in response to the Hidden Wars and the shuffling of front-line units away from training duties, the Crockett was designed to be an assault/heavy trainer in the same mold as the medium-class Chameleon. Because Blakenburg Technologies took the design requirements of being battle-capable seriously, within ten years of its introduction date of 2735, SLDF commanders were discovering how effective the design could be on the real battlefield.

As a training design, the original CRK-5003-1 Crockett does not waste money on expensive materials like endo-steel or ferro-fibrous armor. Nor does the design use an extralight engine. Instead, a 255-rated Strand power plant gives the design equivalent ground speed to the older Stalker design. Three jump jets give the design additional maneuverability (and allow for training pilots for the heavier Highlander, among others). Armor protection is at maximum and is laid out in a 9, 40/14, 27/9, 28, 36 pattern (head, center front/rear, side front/rear, arms, legs respectively).

The weapons-load consists of a Class-10 LB-X autocannon, twin extended-model large lasers, twin small lasers, and twin 6-pack SRM launchers. While each launcher has one ton of ammunition allocated to them, the autocannon has an astounding three tons. CASE is not utilized (it is a trainer, after all). Fifteen double-strength heat sinks struggle with the heat load of a full jump/alpha strike (which would exactly activate the much more recent TSM technology).

As the Crockett joined actual combat formations the one complaint about the design appears to have been the amount of ammunition that had a habit of being critted and sending the pilot on a premature trip to the afterlife. In an effort to deal with this flaw, the design was given the Royal treatment. The CRK-5003-1b model utilizes an endo-steel skeleton, and swaps the autocannon, SRM racks, and small lasers for a Gauss Rifle (with two tons of ammo), four medium-class pulse lasers and two standard medium lasers. Armor allocation is in the pattern of 9, 35/19, 25/11, 28, 36 (which, for the sake of clarity, was the allocation for the main design according to the 3050 Upgrade TRO). While this is a nice design, the space requirements of it all meant that the flaw they intended to correct was replaced by the possibility of a Gauss detonation.

The Succession Wars were not kind to the Crockett. According to both TRO: 3039, and TRO: 3050 Upgrade, the Crockett did not survive long into that period, mostly due to how effective they were, and thus how quickly they were pressed to the front lines. Based on the MUL, though, it appears that in 2881, the CRK-5003-0 downgraded model did enter service for a short time. The most recent record sheet of that design uses the same armor compliment of the Royal model, and the only other differences being the downgrade of the Class-10 autocannon to a standard model (fed by two tons of ammo), and the heat sinks being single-strength models.

Aside from a few refurbished models altered enough to be classified as the Katana, new Crocketts did not appear until 3054, with the reopening of the Terra production lines. The Blakists continued producing the design after claiming Terra. In order to replace the production they lost ComStar helped to upgrade Grumium Creations’ factories. Two variants were produced from them, the first appearing in 3062, the CRK-5003-3, which removes two points of armor from each arm and leg to install CASE in the right torso (moving all the Class-10 ammo there, and the SRM ammo to the right arm). The second upgrade showed up in 3063, the CRK-5004-1 (or CRK-5003-4 in one set of sheets). That model differs from the -5003-3 in restoring the armor to maximum, trades the small lasers for extended-models, downgrades the SRM launchers to 4-packs, drops one ton of Class-10 ammo, and adds an Improved C3 system.

The final variant is the Word of Blake model, the CRK-5005-1, which showed up in 3070. The differences from the -5004-1 model is that one heat sink, one ton of SRM ammo and both small lasers were removed, the engine was replaced with a light-class engine, the cockpit replaced with a small version. All of this to upgrade to the jump jets to Improved models, and adds two more.

The Crockett has spawned at least one other design, the Katana. On top of that, its chassis was used to build the Black Watch, and there are some rumors around that the Falcons may have used its stripped-down nature as basis for the Wakazashi.

Using one is straightforward enough. The original pilots of the design would maintain distance to whittle the enemy’s armor down. Then, before they could accurately target him, the pilot would jump behind the other machine, daring him to turn. If he didn’t, the Crockett could shoot him in the back. If he did turn, the Crockett’s friends could do so. This is still effective for the upgraded models. All models have heat issues. The two with the largest heat woes are the rarest, the downgraded Succession Wars model, and the Royal variant. The last two variants can allow for better targeting by teammates, simply due to the C3 system.

Fighting one is a chore, mostly due to all but one having maximum protection. High-powered weaponry works, but you need a lot of it. Heat-causing weapons also work, but they tend to be much shorter-ranged. Make note of any friends he may have. If able to target locations, the right torso works on most models, even the CASEd ones. All but the Royal variant carry at least three tons of ammunition in that area, making it possible to cascade the pilot to death. As for the Royal variant, its left torso holds the Gauss Rifle, which can cripple the machine. Dealing with the two C3 models depends on which end of the network they are on. If they are close, jamming them with ECM is a must. If they are the back-up for the fast, light PITA, deal with him first.

While I am unsure if the factory on Terra survived the Liberation, if it did, I can see this design still being produced. As a trainer that can be pressed into military action if needed, it would seem to be sort of a cost-benefit winner.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
Re: ’Mech of the Week: CRK-500*-* Crockett
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2013, 16:45:39 »
Having only really used the Royal version, I'm in love with this one.  Deadly at all ranges, though punishing t anything trying to rush it.  My Klondike Coyotes field this guy for sure.  Solid assault brawler.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2013, 20:13:11 »
I have to admit while I've heard of this one, it never stuck.
It's as good as unknown to me.
Always nice to see something you had no real idea existed. O0
I guess I've read a bit of it on the sarna page of the wakizashi or Katana; not sure. Are there even such?
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2013, 22:36:17 »
I've always liked this design since I first picked up TRO:2750 back in the '90s, but I've only used it once that I recall. A friend and I played out a series of Amaris-coup themed scenarios a few years ago and the Crockett was a blast in the one mission that I used it in.  He really had to monkey-pile it to bring it down. 
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2013, 00:45:07 »
I love this design for some reason. The ERLL and LBX combo really works for me and the jump jets add just enough extra movement to make up for the slightly slower ground speed IMO. Being 85 tons must do the trick as well as the Stalker and the Templar are also some of my favored designs. Something about that number...
Made by HikageMaru

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2013, 03:20:57 »
The downgrade must be a heat hog

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2013, 06:01:55 »
  The Crockett had not too much time in our timetables until a fateful evening 4 months ago. We discovered an evil beast that dealt a lot of damage all the time and it wasn't easy to defeat. The heat issues are easily overcome with proper firing patterns and bracket fire. Just skip to fire one ER Large Laser from time to time and you are done. Heavy armor helps a lot to avoid fast deaths and the ammo is good to bring things like inferno or cluster ammo to the battlefield.

It is a mech that can bring three heavy hitting weapons at long range, one of them a LBX-10 (also known as the Swiss-knife of Battletech weapons, it is wonderful to deal with tanks, aerofighters and fast movers) and it has Warhammer-levels firepower at short range.  IMHO this makes the Crockett one of the jewells of TRO 2750 and a wonderful mech up to 3067, where the number of better weapons available is higher and the twin ER Large/LBX10 finally shows its age. This doesn't mean that the Crockett is a bad mech after 3067, it just went from "OMG I don't want to be close to this" to "it is a pain to deal with him". Really, I don't want to be the guy facing a line of Crocketts and Highlanders (not surprisingly, both mechs work better together).

Finally, the art is ugly and the mini doesn't help a lot. It takes a lot of added parts (like the covers of the SRM bays) and a lot of repose to bring some dignity to the mech.
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2013, 07:01:38 »
That royal version is evil, evil i tell ya!  *bad experiences...*

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #8 on: 19 October 2013, 07:36:23 »
I've enjoyed this mech for some time.  I've used the downgraded SW era version in SW era games along side stalkers and and highlanders. The mix of weapons of the 3 are a killer combination. Even against an even bv force of smaller mechs.

The standard is fun but i usually mod it to get case. Something about all that ammo going up makes me twitch...

We did a Klondike campaign not loong after it came out. Trying the Royal on for size was fun but i can hit with a gauss to save my life... seriously, can't hit in megamek with a gauss on 4's... so i let others use that wonderful mech and used the original (mod).

I've not had the pleasure of using any of the others but the WoB one looks fun.ok but imo looses too much armor.

This is a great mech and a great article. Thank you.

All in all, i think i prefer the original with case added, the Katana is
« Last Edit: 22 October 2013, 07:31:28 by Col.Hengist »
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2013, 07:26:52 »
Always liked the Crockett and I hope it was one of the designs to get some update love in the new TRO- just swapping out the IS ERLL for Clan ones would be huge.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

iampoch

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2013, 10:10:11 »
Always liked the Crockett and I hope it was one of the designs to get some update love in the new TRO- just swapping out the IS ERLL for Clan ones would be huge.

Nope, no new variant in RS:NTNU :-(

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2013, 11:09:01 »
Not meaning to be rude to the author, so please don't take it that way, but I'm curious about something you wrote.

The Crockett has spawned at least one other design, the Katana.

I've always treated this Mech as being somewhat like the Clan Omnimechs, in that it's two names for the same machine- I'm curious why you interpret it differently. (Or am I misreading you?)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 22 October 2013, 11:39:58 »
Not meaning to be rude to the author, so please don't take it that way, but I'm curious about something you wrote.

I've always treated this Mech as being somewhat like the Clan Omnimechs, in that it's two names for the same machine- I'm curious why you interpret it differently. (Or am I misreading you?)
Is it like the Thug and the Hatamoto where the base stats are so similar, but the outward appearance is different enough for the new name? I honestly don't know, I don't know the artwork very well for this.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #13 on: 22 October 2013, 11:48:17 »
Is it like the Thug and the Hatamoto where the base stats are so similar, but the outward appearance is different enough for the new name? I honestly don't know, I don't know the artwork very well for this.

Exact same Mech- literally, the Crocketts given to the Combine in 3039 by Comstar were given minor modifications and called 'Katanas' in place of their old name. The line that sticks in my head from the original 3050 was "There is little merit to Gunji-no-kanrei Kurita's claim that these changes warrant a new design name", or something to that effect, from the Comstar writer.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #14 on: 22 October 2013, 12:28:45 »

The Hatamoto sadly started with single heat sinks.  That alone makes it a whole different beast, even if the BV barely reflects it.

I'm familiar with the Crockett primarily through the Katana series.  A very welcomed mech among my DCMS forces.  It does feel more like a big heavy mech than an assualt, but has all the good needed to perform a number of jobs.  I dig it.  Maybe not the best candidate for an ace mechwarrior, but a solid addition for a line assault supporting long ranged heavies like Warhammers and Marauders.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2013, 13:03:25 »
Sorry guys, the hatamoto series are charger refits. No where near as good as a thug.

The katana isn't near as good a mech as the crocket.

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 22 October 2013, 15:19:53 »
No worries... I think the Katana may get its due this week...  ;)

As for the name change, it appears to be an effort by Teddy K to deflect scrutiny. Thing is, they got so many other old Star League designs (and at least those are actually covered in TRO: 3039) that, frankly, it seems a bit... odd.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 22 October 2013, 15:29:35 »
Agreed, why didn't they change the name of the crab, or sentinal...

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 22 October 2013, 15:31:31 »
While i hated playing against the crockets, i never had good luck playing WITH them (always getting the SRM or AC ammo critted), so never really liked them.  Surprised not one of the refits ever went to an RAC 5 or UAC or LB10 to replace the base AC10.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 22 October 2013, 16:35:34 »
The same could be said for the Wasp and Stinger and it's almost acknowledged with the Rommel and Patton

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2013, 17:48:49 »
The same could be said for the Wasp and Stinger and it's almost acknowledged with the Rommel and Patton

I'm not asking about those.

+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2013, 18:26:50 »
While i hated playing against the crockets, i never had good luck playing WITH them (always getting the SRM or AC ammo critted), so never really liked them.  Surprised not one of the refits ever went to an RAC 5 or UAC or LB10 to replace the base AC10.

One did have the LB-10X I think . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2013, 18:29:24 »
I'm not asking about those.
I was pointing out how common the situation was

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2013, 19:56:15 »
OK...  ???

So, back to the Mech we're discussing, the Crockett...

+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2013, 20:09:42 »
Sort of surprised we never got a dual HPPC Katana during the Jihad since the Dracs were throwing them on everything.  They did start producing their own rather than just the ComStar handoffs?

How often does the Crockett appear in Clan secondline forces?  I know we talk about things like the Imp, Black Knight, Thunderhawk and Devastator for Clan secondline, but a Crockett would work pretty well.
Colt Ward

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #25 on: 22 October 2013, 20:37:55 »
Sort of surprised we never got a dual HPPC Katana during the Jihad since the Dracs were throwing them on everything.  They did start producing their own rather than just the ComStar handoffs?

How often does the Crockett appear in Clan secondline forces?  I know we talk about things like the Imp, Black Knight, Thunderhawk and Devastator for Clan secondline, but a Crockett would work pretty well.

Good question, actually- if the Combine doesn't have a fresh source of CrocKatanas, they may be doing refits (particularly in the Jihad) out of necessity rather than anything else- a heavy PPC model would be intriguing, perhaps replacing the large lasers and cannon, call it use the remaining weight for heat sinks (doubles!) and maybe upgrading the SRMs to Streaks or MMLs? Vanilla, but effective. Anything bigger, like engine changes and the like, would probably require 1) an assembly line for new models or 2) more effort than it's worth for a handful of inherited orphan-Mechs.

As for Clan forces... I didn't see much of it at a glance, to be honest. It may be a matter of honor- an Omnimech is for the elite warriors, second-liners for the next tier, the lower tier gets old SL-era gear... so who gets stuck with the League's old training Mechs like Crocketts and Chameleons?

+Crow T. Robot+

Kotetsu

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 23 October 2013, 05:28:12 »
While the article I'm writing on the Katana will try to deal with that issue, it appears they got one production site for a time, then had to give it back to Blakenburg Technologies. And said company was so impressed with certain variants, they hired the entire production team, with the full blessing of Independence (their employer), and continued as a joint operation.

Thing is, I am unsure what happened in the Jihad. There is one variant, but after that...

Looking at Sarna... I think the plant is still in operation. It's a little over one jump to the northeast of New Samarkand (I know "north" is Coreward, but unsure if "east" is Spin or Anti-Spinward). So, yeah... probably still churning out machines.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #27 on: 23 October 2013, 05:57:41 »
As for Clan forces... I didn't see much of it at a glance, to be honest. It may be a matter of honor- an Omnimech is for the elite warriors, second-liners for the next tier, the lower tier gets old SL-era gear... so who gets stuck with the League's old training Mechs like Crocketts and Chameleons?
Warrior sibkos? They are trainer 'Mechs after all.

Maybe the training officer gets a Crockett IIC that strips the SL weaponry for Clan equivalents.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2013, 08:23:49 »
I have Crockets in my Blood Spirit force. It's fun using old SL trainers to beat up Adder omnis...

If they would be anywhere in a clan force it would be there.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2013, 09:21:53 »
Given that I own two Crockett minis, I really should find a good use for them. Perhaps a reinforced cadre lance consisting of four recently-graduated cadets that still need in-the-field seasoning, with a fifth 'mech for the veteran instructor that has to ride herd on them. 2 Crockets and 2 TBA mediums(P-Hawks, Crabs, Starslayers?) for the cadets, and some sort of mobile heavy for the instructor. Sound fun?
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Register