Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 137310 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #1500 on: 10 October 2017, 23:42:11 »
So, anyone got words of wisdom on that Guardians film i asked about?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1501 on: 11 October 2017, 06:21:14 »
I've like to hear that too. I've heard mix response when I've asked friends about Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2.  My impression from both that it's not a good as the first.
I think that's high benchmark to achieve, something fresh and new can't stay that way since you already seen the first one! I just want know if still inventive and action packed as the first without devolving into a nonsense movie. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1502 on: 11 October 2017, 11:03:34 »
So, anyone got words of wisdom on that Guardians film i asked about?

I think the issue might be that nobody's seen it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1503 on: 11 October 2017, 15:07:30 »
I've like to hear that too. I've heard mix response when I've asked friends about Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2.

I am on about Guardians, a Russian super hero movie, with a big bear guy and the like..  Not GotG 2..

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1504 on: 11 October 2017, 17:41:55 »
Which by the way was not as good as GOTG 1 but better than Spiderman or Antman, IMHO. Suffer through the first half of slapstick, because **** gets real in the second half, and the payoff is good enough I think.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1505 on: 12 October 2017, 00:33:32 »
OI..  i really liked Antman!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1506 on: 12 October 2017, 04:45:36 »
Kingsmen: Golden Circle

Watch the movie, then have a burger afterward, I dare you

Eggsy is the cause of the Kingsman's troubles, Lancelot was horribly underused in the film, Halle Berry should have been given action screen time, Channing Tatum was only there for humor, Merlin is a great singer, and there are a couple of other actors/singers who showed up too.

Fun bit of humor describing the villain, "she is highly intelligent, is focused on her goals, and willing to sacrifice anything to achieve them.  This would make her a textbook psychopath, or the perfect CEO".

I had a burger at work the next day, no issues here... How do you figure Eggsy is the cause of their troubles? I'm not seeing it. I'd put the movie just under the first one, to be honest. There were a whole host of things they just didn't do as well, it certainly lacked the charm, and unfortunately gave up the villains main plot far too early in the movie It could have done far better with less narration/overt exposition, they just didn't want to let the story grow organically. I will agree that Statesman was underused, but then again, they only had so much screen time, and couldn't afford to spread it that thin.

On the whole it was a good movie, I enjoyed it, but there were a few issues with pacing and development which left me a little cold.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1507 on: 12 October 2017, 04:49:36 »
OI..  i really liked Antman!
My apologies then :D but I personally am sick of another by-the-numbers Marvel origins movie.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1508 on: 12 October 2017, 08:49:00 »
My apologies then :D but I personally am sick of another by-the-numbers Marvel origins movie.
That's why i just go to the origin movies.  The sequels and them merging with other stuff makes them less enjoyable for me personally.  I  felt it was more enjoyable the fresh starts than the continuations.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1509 on: 12 October 2017, 14:30:28 »
I will agree that Statesman was underused, but then again, they only had so much screen time, and couldn't afford to spread it that thin.

Maybe the 'statesmen' will get their OWN movie soon.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1510 on: 12 October 2017, 23:57:47 »
I finally watched Spirited Away. I didn't like it.

Pros: Very beautiful animation, yes. Decent mythic plot. Nice soundtrack. Good dialogue.

Cons: General monster population was a little too surreal for me. Resolution was total deus ex machina. Tension (and film length) was unnecessarily extended several times simply by having Chichiro stumble for no good reason, I call that cheating.

6/10, wouldn't watch again, nice OST though.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1511 on: 01 November 2017, 11:02:42 »
ok valerian and city of thousand planets...
love teh dance number with bubble
had to watch it few times it was abnormally well done for a movie...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1512 on: 21 November 2017, 19:23:21 »
While painting minis yesterday I watched John Carter of Mars; Ballistic=Ecks vs. Sever; and tonight its Hitman.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1513 on: 21 November 2017, 21:30:09 »
I've seen John Carter, i thought it was good movie with extremely bad marketing and unfortunately handling of it's name.

I just saw John Wick 2 the other day, it's pretty good. I had couple things i didn't care for. Near end it was turning into the Matrix...

Next Chapter due out in couple years. I hope they have more robust plot / story.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1514 on: 21 November 2017, 21:52:44 »
1) Valerian and City of a Thousand Planets. 4/10. Sad to say, IMHO neither lead can act, and there's too much "look at this amazing world I created" and too little plot.

2) Atomic Blonde. 8/10. Good fights, a little draggy but bearable.

3) Fast and Furious 6. 6/10. They could have done better is all, and yes that runway is forever. Fast 5 was the zenith of the series I think.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1515 on: 22 November 2017, 02:18:54 »
ok valerian and city of thousand planets...
love teh dance number with bubble
had to watch it few times it was abnormally well done for a movie...

That's on my "Possible" list for watching this thanksgiving..  Another one is the hitman's body guard with Ryan reynolds and Sam l..

I've seen John Carter, i thought it was good movie with extremely bad marketing and unfortunately handling of it's name.

I agree.  I loved the movie, but most sites i've been on rate it very poorly.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1516 on: 19 December 2017, 10:08:21 »
Wow....

City Slickers II is possibly the most awkward movie I have ever seen.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1517 on: 22 December 2017, 12:26:28 »
Okay, this thread got necroed after I made a new thread last year, then I made another new thread.

Mods, I assume you want to lock this one and either merge the two current threads or lock one of them?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1518 on: 24 December 2017, 17:56:34 »
About to watch Hogfather, a Christmas tradition.  :)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1519 on: 24 December 2017, 18:18:04 »
About to watch Hogfather, a Christmas tradition.  :)
Nice. I read Hogfather as a Chtistmas tradition.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #1520 on: 26 December 2017, 05:15:13 »
lately I enjoyed a couple of sci fi movie.
The first was "Passengers" and the second "Life".

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #1521 on: 20 January 2018, 21:45:34 »
Just got back from watching Darkest Hour, a damned good movie and I believe I'll be buying the DVD when it's available.  It's worth it.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Register