Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week Repost: Pulverizer PUL-2V  (Read 27232 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
'Mech of the Week Repost: Pulverizer PUL-2V
« on: 14 November 2014, 16:11:26 »
Originally written and posted by wantec on 11/12/2009

Today's 'Mech of the Week article was requested by DragonKhan55. Reaching back into the past, it is a scary monster in the dreams of many sibko brats. Today's 'Mech of the Week is the Pulverizer.

First appearing in the BattleCorps story Betrayal of Ideal, the Pulverizer was one of the first new BattleMechs developed by the Clans and was developed by Clan Wolverine, the Not-Named Clan. For a while all we had to go on were the description of the stats given in the story, which didn't quite cover everything. We knew it had an improved ERPPC, some LRMs, and a pair of Large Lasers. At first we were told it was a match in tonnage for a Thug which lead folks to believe it was an 80 tonner. Later we learned it out massed a Bombadier by 25 tons, which clearly makes it 90 tons not 80. My best guess is that when the Pulverizer was described as a match in tonnage for the Thug, it was meant as a match in terms of weight-class and not strictly tonnage. We also had the little tid-bit from TechManual that the Pulverizer was the first 'Mech made by Clan Snow Raven, built in 2824 (the MUL says it was first produced in 2823). There was little else to work with until GenCon 2008, when we got Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents containing all the stats, background, and a piciture, and in the GenCon CamoSpecs Diorama there was a Pulverizer mini in Word of Blake Colors.

Since the Pulverizer was designed in the early years of the Clans, it still uses an Inner Sphere tech-base, with its bulkier components and weapons. The shining piece of technology is the Enhanced ER PPC, the mid-point between the Clan-tech and Inner Sphere-tech ER PPCs. It weighs the same and takes up the same amount of crits as an Inner Sphere ER PPC, but it hits almost as hard as a Clan ER PPC, hitting for 12 points of damage. A 360 standard engine is used, even though it eats up 33 tons. Each arm carries a standard Large Laser. An LRM 10 rack with a ton of ammo sits in the left torso, protected by CASE, while the Enhanced ER PPC sits in the right torso. A Guardian ECM Suite is mounted in the center torso to provide some electronic cover.

An Endo Steel Structure, Ferro-Fibrous armor, and double heat sinks are used to save tonnage. A total of 15 double heat sinks mean you can walk and fire all but one Large Laser for +/-0 heat. Leave out the LRMs and you can fire the PPC and Lasers for only a slight overheat. With so many medium to long range weapons, having some options to swap firing patterns or go for a small overheat is a nice benefit. Now when it comes to the armor there's a slight problem, it's 1 point over what it should be. That means 1 point of armor will come off the head, CT, or CT rear, and the CT rear is the only place where it's a good choice to remove that point. As for the smart armor test, it passes almost everywhere with flying colors. The arms and side torso each have 30 points of armor, enough for 3 PPC hits or a pair of Gauss slugs. Each leg carries the max of 38 points. The rear side torsos have 8 points of armor, enough for a Large Laser, and acceptable since it's maxed out. As it stands the head has 9 points the CT has 45 and the rear CT has 12 points. One point has to come from one of those 3 locations, and the rear CT is the best choice.

Overall I think the Pulverizer is a well-designed assault 'Mech. Even if it had been built with an Inner Sphere ER PPC instead of the Enhanced ER PPC, it would still rank highly in my mind. It's obviously designed to fight at a distance and it has enough heat sinks to allow it to put out a good punch at range.

My rating: 9/10, hard to kill, with a long range head-capping ability the Pulverizer is a beast.

How I would improve it:
Really this 'Mech is limited by the tech base, but if I had to make a change, I would remove the LRMs, ammo, and CASE. Then I would us 0.5 tons to max the armor, add a double heat sink, and add a Medium Laser and two Medium Pulse Lasers for close-in damage.

How I would use it:
With the Pulverizer the idea is to stay at medium to long ranges, using your PPC and Large Lasers to open holes, while using the LRMs to try and crit-seek. You have plenty of armor, and with a 4/6 assault 'Mech it's tempting to wade into the middle of things and take on everyone, but sticking back at range, using the thick armor to let you outlast everyone else is the best plan.

Variants
No official variants to speak of, but there is the interesting speculation that the Pulverizer could have been a forerunner to the Kingfisher Omni. Both are 90 tons, moving 4/6, with an Endo Steel Structure, Ferro-Fibrous armor, and they carry almost the exact same armor placement. Most of the original Kingfisher's original variants feature large energy weapons and are designed to fight at medium to long ranges.

The MUL has it right here: http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2590/pulverizer-pul-2v
CamoSpecs, over here: http://camospecs.com/MiniList.asp?Action=Detail&ID=1626
As a bonus, the 2008 CSO Diorama pictures (including those with the Pulverizer) can be found here: http://camospecs.com/Unit.asp?ID=984
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: 'Mech of the Week Repost: Pulverizer PUL-2V
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2014, 05:23:23 »
I'd never heard of this machine until now, its a nice Clan energy boat and evolutionary design and as you say could be a grandfather of the Kingfisher although they took different routes with the Fishy and its mostly ballistic loadouts. 

This is another one of those designs along with a lot of the Golden Century ones that sit there and go "Oh how nice would WE be with modern tech hrrmmmm!?"
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Fragger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2014, 15:02:51 »
I absolutely love this mech and want to thank the person who designed it.  O0

I just whish there were more areas where I can use this beast.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2014, 18:55:38 »
I'd never heard of this machine until now, its a nice Clan energy boat and evolutionary design and as you say could be a grandfather of the Kingfisher although they took different routes with the Fishy and its mostly ballistic loadouts. 

This is another one of those designs along with a lot of the Golden Century ones that sit there and go "Oh how nice would WE be with modern tech hrrmmmm!?"

You've missed out

I liked that Mech the minute I got Blake Documents that the Mercury II and Raptor II as source books go that one was sweet for the toys in back and content

First time I used this Mech me and a friend were messing around he'd never seen it before but when I said it was a Wolvie design he wasn't too happy when I added a pair of Wolverines and a Mercury II he was even more annoyed

Tried to pin down the Pulveriser but the armour and speed kept it out of serious danger.  My three lighter designs ran circles around his units flanking causing tons of damage while this beast sniped away happily of added in a bunch of LRMs to cause trouble

At the end I used the speed and lasers to finish off two crippled Mechs it was a good day... For me
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2014, 20:44:47 »
Such a lovely beast, lost to the sands of time.  The forbidden fruit of the Clans indeed.  Taking down Clan Wolverine's enemies as it's self is taken down in the exchange.   

I still chuckle, having saw my old comment on the original article, where artist who made the featured miniature/prototype for gencon revealed that Cicada was basis of his rendition of this beasty.  No variants? Well, Cicada can look proudly on its long lost child, since its mini was used as basis for it. 

Thanks for resurrecting this article GreekFire and the original review wantec!
« Last Edit: 23 June 2023, 10:41:26 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #5 on: 18 November 2014, 02:08:02 »
You've missed out

I liked that Mech the minute I got Blake Documents that the Mercury II and Raptor II as source books go that one was sweet for the toys in back and content

Interestingly, the other two Wolverine 'Mechs, the Mercury II and Stag, appear in the random assignment tables for the Rim Federation in the Empires Aflame setting--no other faction has them.  Unfortunately, the Pulverizer isn't in the assault 'Mech column :(  But if you want to play in that setting, I suppose there's nothing stopping you from also asserting that the Pulverizer exists and is also deployed by the RF  :P  ;D (perhaps without the enhanced ER PPC though)

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 18 November 2014, 22:13:05 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #6 on: 18 November 2014, 02:28:32 »
Forgot the Stag one Mech I can't remember using
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 18 November 2014, 21:29:38 »
Forgot the Stag one Mech I can't remember using

How can you forget the Stag, it won't be party without it. ;)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2014, 16:04:34 »
I picked up a Pulverizer, with thoughts of putting in my WOB forces, based on the painted one.......
However, now that I have it, I noticed that if you look straight on at the torso, it looks like the head of the Predator from the movie Predator with Arnold Schwarzenegger..........

It would an interesting design for the WOB reborn......I mean RoTS to pull out and field. It would definitely infuriate any Clan warrior that saw one.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2014, 17:42:37 »
Just noticed some of those similarities to the Kingfisher myself, the Pulverizer could very well be the Kingfishers forgotten forefather.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2014, 21:25:25 »
Interestingly, the other two Wolverine 'Mechs, the Mercury II and Stag, appear in the random assignment tables for the Rim Federation in the Empires Aflame setting--no other faction has them.  Unfortunately, the Pulverizer isn't in the assault 'Mech column :(  But if you want to play in that setting, I suppose there's nothing stopping you from also asserting that the Pulverizer exists and is also deployed by the RF  :P  ;D (perhaps without the enhanced ER PPC though)

cheers,

Gabe

Just a thought but the Pulverier V 2 is a refit of the orginal model according to the story so it should be possible to create a rim company of the stigma designs. Command lance split between pulverizers and rampages, strikers lance of dragoons and scout lance of mercury II and stags

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #11 on: 28 November 2014, 12:47:49 »
Don't forget that the Ravens picked up the design after the Wolverines were annihilated, even changing history to say they were the developers. Only the Wolverine II was phased out of the Clans because of its connection to the Not Named. And all they did was give it a redesign and call it a Hellhound after Nicky K died.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2014, 15:25:40 »
Don't forget that the Ravens picked up the design after the Wolverines were annihilated, even changing history to say they were the developers.

Now wait, I'm not seeing anything that suggests that. The Tech Manual says its their first 'Mech, but doesn't say that they developed it. Kind of like the Lyran Commonwealth and the Mackie.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2014, 19:53:20 »
Now wait, I'm not seeing anything that suggests that. The Tech Manual says its their first 'Mech, but doesn't say that they developed it. Kind of like the Lyran Commonwealth and the Mackie.

Would you use a mech designed by and used by the Not Named? The Ravens wouldn't but since not many would know of the design or have seen it then it would be easy to lay claim to the factory's and tell your population its your new design. And history was rewritten quite a bit after the Wolverine Annihilation. Snow Raven Khans which died, but didn't. Who nuked who. Who was behind something's and even battles fought and where and how much time had passed. A mechs lineage would be nothing at that point.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2014, 20:57:33 »
Just because someone developed the tech doesn't mean the new nation can't repurpose/redevelop it and rebrand it as their own. For the time it was quite revolutionary.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2014, 11:41:23 »
They did split the spoils from the Annihilation among themselves. Ghost Bears got scientists, Falcons got Mercury II's, etc. It's entirely possible that the Snow Ravens were awarded the new mech as compensation for getting nuked.

For all that the Clans love to demonize the Not-Named, they have no qualms taking the same steps that Clan took in its bid to secure its future in the Kerensky Cluster. Modern day Clans always seek to get a leg up over their peers by either innovating new weapons or new mech designs, in addition to trials. In the early days of the Clans it was the Wolverines who were early leaders in the Clan rat race, also using these same steps.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2014, 23:17:21 »
In the early days of the Clans it was the Wolverines who were early leaders in the Clan rat race, also using these same steps.

And it made them targets of most of the rest. Sad isn't it? And the funny part is in the end, Nicky K knew he got used and all he could do was try to make lemonade from bad lemons.
The Pulverizers that did make it into Clan service though probably were used to they were destroyed and not replaced. Most likely only two production runs really, the original Clan Wolverine run and a later Snow Raven run to help rebuild there conventional forces. I do wonder if any of the surviving Pulverizers, now considered second line designs were among the mechs to be traded to the Blood Spirits when they had there mechs for warships deal. And if nothing else there is a single stripped down Pulverizer left as a lonely guardian over a grave on Barbados. 

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2014, 00:14:12 »
They did split the spoils from the Annihilation among themselves. Ghost Bears got scientists, Falcons got Mercury II's, etc.

Didn't the Coyotes get the Mercury II?  The tech they learned from the Mercury II was a big factor in the development of the Omnimech, in fact I don't think there would have been an Omnimech had the Coyotes not gotten their hands on the Mercury II.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2014, 01:18:27 »
Didn't the Coyotes get the Mercury II?  The tech they learned from the Mercury II was a big factor in the development of the Omnimech, in fact I don't think there would have been an Omnimech had the Coyotes not gotten their hands on the Mercury II.
They did. Heck, the Coyotl looks like little more than a repainted Mercury II. Well, maybe they updated the components a bit with Clan spec. But the resemblance is uncanny enough to make me think the Mercury II was in fact an omnimech and the 30yr "development time" was mostly trying to duplicate and mass produce the system reliably.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 02 December 2014, 11:26:17 »
All I know is I just wish there were still Pulverizers that could be fielded. The few times I have used one they have been awesome. Very good for hunting down and killing problem enemy mechs.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #20 on: 02 December 2014, 16:32:35 »
All I know is I just wish there were still Pulverizers that could be fielded. The few times I have used one they have been awesome. Very good for hunting down and killing problem enemy mechs.
Well there might still be some Wolverines around....  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 03 December 2014, 12:14:53 »

And the Kingfisher isn't? Comon' guys- it's kind of obvious to see some genesis here. Hell, just looking at the Kingfisher it's got the similar squat torso, my-hips-are-next-to-my-shoulders kinda thing going.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 03 December 2014, 12:20:10 »
Well there might still be some Wolverines around....  ;)

Well yes, there off keeping the horde of Aliens from invading the Inner Sphere! I for one prefer the old FASA era explanation of what happened to them.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 03 December 2014, 13:05:09 »
Well yes, there off keeping the horde of Aliens from invading the Inner Sphere! I for one prefer the old FASA era explanation of what happened to them.
Why choose? There could be many Wolverine factions.  8)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 03 December 2014, 23:33:44 »
True, always liked the idea some became the Umayyads, some of the civilian castes and ex-Combine prisoners joined Comstar and later became the founders of the WoB, and the rest eventually made there way all the way around the Inner here and just kept going...and going...and going...and going until they eventually found and fought alien invaders and played no further part in the Battletech story.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 04 December 2014, 12:48:43 »
True, always liked the idea some became the Umayyads, some of the civilian castes and ex-Combine prisoners joined Comstar and later became the founders of the WoB, and the rest eventually made there way all the way around the Inner here and just kept going...and going...and going...and going until they eventually found and fought alien invaders and played no further part in the Battletech story.
I am also going with that, as it is a good scenario to explain why WOB never had wolverine tech.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 05 December 2014, 03:49:42 »
Ehh? What is the old FASA explanation?

I am also going with that, as it is a good scenario to explain why WOB never had wolverine tech.
They didn't? I thought they had the mechs. Aside from those, the only other unique piece of Wolverine tech is the gutbuster.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 05 December 2014, 04:47:51 »
The Pulverizer only showed up in in a Diorama, which isn't canon canon, and the designs only showed up in Jihad Secrets, and the writeup says that the 3 Wolverine `Mechs haven't been seen in the WoB's hands.

The WoB/Wolverine connection is still sort of a nebulous "Not confirmed/not true/who knows"

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 05 December 2014, 06:59:21 »
Ok.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #29 on: 06 December 2014, 04:41:09 »
Ehh? What is the old FASA explanation?
  As Stormlion1 mentioned, as soon as people made connections between the Minnesota Tribe and the fate of the Wolverines, they started wondering why no-one had heard anything from them ever again — especially in light of the Clan Invasion and the grudge the Tribe/Wolverines presumably harboured against Kerensky’s Tank-born.  One of the FASA developers (I’ve never nailed down exactly who said it when or where) joked that the Wolverines never (again) became a factor in the Inner Sphere’s affairs because they were too busy defending the Inner Sphere from an Invading Alien Horde.  (The corollary being that one reason sapient aliens never appeared in BattleTech was because the Wolverines were giving them all the fight they could handle.)

Register