Author Topic: Tell me about....Jump Infantry  (Read 21294 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Tell me about....Jump Infantry
« on: 15 March 2015, 11:02:16 »
In a basic sense I know what jump infantry (jet pack, not paratrooper) are. I know they use jet packs for enhanced leaps or can briefly achieve free flight.

I know they are harder/more expensive to train and so operate in smaller platoons than is standard. I know most have their own organic transport, such as VTOLs for aerial deployment or quick relocation.

Beyond that, I don't know much. What battlefield roles are they best suited for? Which roles are they not suited for?

Are their limitations on their gear because of the extra weight of the jump pack?

Is there equipment (e.g. weapons) that jump infantry are best suited to carry?

In a more RPG sense...what qualities or characteristics would you look for in a jump trooper?

I'm sure if I really stopped to contemplate it I could come up with even more questions but that's all I have for the moment. I'm hoping to get some new perspective on this infantry type. Foot/leg, motorized and mechanized infantry make sense to me, there are real life comparisons to draw upon. Jump infantry not so much and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the topic, from the basic mechanics of tabletop use, to information that might be useful in a more writing/roleplaying style game.

sillybrit

• Major
Re: Tell me about....Jump Infantry
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2015, 17:12:21 »
My jump infantry usage depends upon whether I'm using canon 21-man platoons or not. There's nothing in the rules that prevent jump infantry from having 28 men like other canon platoon types, and as per the construction rules in TM they can go up to the maximum 30 per platoon.

With larger platoon sizes you don't suffer the loss in damage capacity and firepower imposed by the 21-man organization, thus allowing you to use jump infantry as your general purpose infantry type for all bar those troops that you want to equip with field artillery/guns. The one exception would be for troops intended to operate in terrain where even jump infantry will have problems, such as large bodies of water, where you'd be better served using mechanized hover/VTOL infantry, appropriate beast-mounted infantry or scuba infantry. The one caveat to this is to make sure your APCs have the capacity to carry the larger platoons.

With the smaller, canon platoon sizes then jump infantry aren't always going to be the best choice where raw firepower is desired. They have no limits on the infantry weapons that they can wield per the rules - with the exception of the Support PPC, which kind of sucks anyway, so that's no loss - but you're always going to have just three quarters of the firepower of foot infantry, assuming the standard 21- and 28-man organizations. Likewise, your ability to absorb damage will be similarly weaker; weapons which might wipe a jump infantry platoon can fall short against foot infantry, giving you another turn of use of that unit.

In such cases, jump infantry are still good in circumstances where firepower isn't as vital or where their mobility provides adequate compensation. Using them as spotters, whether just simple observers or when equipped with TAG, is a good example. Another possibility is Inferno-armed anti-battlesuit troops, but this depends heavily upon your primary weapon if you're aiming for one-shot kills against enemy battle armor squads. The weapon of choice is the Mauser, whether the 1200 or (preferably) IIC version, giving decent to excellent range, which combined with one 2-shot SRM launcher per squad will provide a 21-man platoon with enough firepower that they can achieve 12 Inferno hits per salvo when at full (or near full) strength. This is enough to auto-kill any IS squad of battle armor, with the exception of those equipped with fire resistant armor, of course. Such platoons have the mobility to match or exceed most jumping battlesuits, making them a brutal option against suits like the Ravager.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2015, 19:08:11 »
It's worth noting that the canon Comstar/WoB Level I jump infantry platoons are 30 men strong, vs. their foot platoons of 2x 18-man formations and vs. the 21-man House jump platoons.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2015, 19:18:12 »
Have jump infantry ever been portrayed in a BT novel? I mean as more than a passing reference.

I can't think of any examples.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2015, 19:25:08 »
Have jump infantry ever been portrayed in a BT novel? I mean as more than a passing reference.

Infantry of any stripe rarely gets a mention in the novels, sadly...

Warrior: En Garde makes brief mention of both the Kell Hounds jump infantry battalion and I think possibly Kuritan jump infantry.
The Kell Hounds troops are portrayed as elite infantry but seeing as the unit has a single battalion of PBIs they must be adept at doing everything from assault infantry missions through to MP and security work...

TRO: 3085s gives us a good look at a sample Republic jump infantry unit - made up of a mish-mash of various nations and equipment they brought with them.

I've always imagined them as long the elite infantry of the various realms and used as shock troops and special forces - only to be replaced by BA and regulated back to second line status from about the late 3060s.

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2015, 19:51:51 »
Lost Destiny has some Jump Troops being used by C* on Alyina. They were jumping out of a VTOL of some sort (most likely a Karnov, or maybe some old SLDF surplus)

For the most part, they're used as more light/mobile forces keeping up with 'Mech units.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2015, 22:14:32 »
I vaguely recall the GDL trilogy having jump troopers in them. Also, the opening fiction to FM 3085 features a special forces unit made up of BA and Jump Infantry.

To answer the question on what kind of personality would an RPG character have. Your strapping a plasma rocket motor and a highly compressed canister of hydrogen reaction mass to your back. You're leaping upwards of 100 feet vertically and horizontally every ten seconds. You're carrying enough fire power to make armored vehicles notice you and you're wearing no armor to speak of.

What kind of person would you be?
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2015, 23:50:15 »
So, Paratrooper/Marine type to the extreme?
M. T. Thompson

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2015, 23:56:34 »

Very, very drunk.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2015, 00:56:00 »
Very, very drunk.

Well in the case of the BattleCorps Legion Jump platoon (which survivors go on to join the Black Torrent), bat-XXXX crazy and just a little on the scary side. You do not want to go to one of their keg parties, they tend to use live ammunition.
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2015, 03:24:44 »
I vaguely recall the GDL trilogy having jump troopers in them. Also, the opening fiction to FM 3085 features a special forces unit made up of BA and Jump Infantry.

To answer the question on what kind of personality would an RPG character have. Your strapping a plasma rocket motor and a highly compressed canister of hydrogen reaction mass to your back. You're leaping upwards of 100 feet vertically and horizontally every ten seconds. You're carrying enough fire power to make armored vehicles notice you and you're wearing no armor to speak of.

In universe I imagine that infantry weapons are a lot more powerful, simply for record keeping purposes I'd have the basic infantry rifle doing 1 damage, so LRM but much shorter range.

That or I'd use unabridged AToW ranges for weapons in 30 meter TW hexes of (In S/M/L/E format)
SRMs: 2/7/14/24
MRMs: 2/10/36/50
LRMs: 2/13/33/70

Now for infantry trading damage for range (Using standard/canon damage figures) doesn't sound that bad, it's a pity that it isn't the case

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2015, 06:47:59 »
I've found the jump infantry divisions in FM: SLDF a little enlightening on this subject. Some of them note a certain brash/cavalier attitude as being common. There was one division that practiced using dangerously high winds on the world they were stationed to boost their jump distance. Learning to do that caused some casualties. Another division coupled together para drops or HALO troops for silent entry onto a battlefield. Another Jump Infantry Division made sure that every piece of their gear and every trooper could be deployed from high atmosphere by one means or another.

A quick browse of that PDF book proved...enlightening. While there seemed to be a kind of standard jump infantry manual that emphasized rapid deployment, pinning down fast moving enemy units and leapfrogging rough terrain, a lot of units went a different way or specialized in something.

Hey...how are jump packs controlled? Is it akin to a neurohelmet setup? Or are they using some kind of hand control system, and if that, how do they handle their weapons at the same time?

Also the issue of the canon 21-man platoons for jump infantry has been brought up. But that made me wonder...in canon, do you think the FWLM organizational scheme then offers an advantage when it comes to jump infantry units? Their infantry regiments number 1,794 men, for units based on the 28-man platoon. I don't have time to do the math right now, but it just strikes me that FWLM jump regiments would have a lot of manpower.
« Last Edit: 17 March 2015, 07:27:34 by Alan Grant »

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2015, 08:24:02 »
Hey...how are jump packs controlled? Is it akin to a neurohelmet setup? Or are they using some kind of hand control system, and if that, how do they handle their weapons at the same time?

The only sources I can think of are TRO:3026 and Mechwarrior: 2nd ed.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 17 March 2015, 09:29:31 »
There's a full-page article about a minor Davion who was in the jump infantry near the end of the Star League in the old House Davion Sourcebook.  Page 104 if the pdf page numbers match the actual ones, or if you ctrl-f "Battlefield Royalty", it should take you right to it.  It talks about a combat drop from a Vampire gone pear-shaped.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 17 March 2015, 09:40:45 »
Spotters, recon, and jumping out of intact Dropships... one MWDA novel (Silence in the Heavens?) depicts using single troopers as runners which I thought was an excellent idea. Any PBI job needing more mobility basically.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 17 March 2015, 11:08:32 »
I got a whole lot of mileage out of Jump SRM infantry in a Nova Binary VS Company game I played in San Antonio, using them to play bodyguard to a lance of LRM carriers. Both of the latter were a heavy woods map. After the 'Mechs were getting pounded by the LRM carriers without being able to retaliate, he sent the elementals to go after the LRM carriers. The Infantry actually did a pretty significant job of chewing up the elementals, who were only armed with small lasers. The LRM carriers never got threatened as the infantry took heavy losses but were able to eliminate the toads.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #16 on: 17 March 2015, 14:35:21 »
I love jump infantry. I use them for quick response units, objective takers, a back off button ( no one line a 21 man platoon of inferno SRM'S ) , rapid deployed spotters... You name it. Pair them with a BA squad and you have a tough but, especially in a city.

My favorite deployment is from a karnov.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 18 March 2015, 08:09:57 »

My favorite deployment is from a karnov.

Karnovs aside, what are your other favorite vehicles for deploying jump infantry or carrying them around the battlefield?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2015, 10:26:49 »
Nothing. Is there something better?

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2015, 11:49:06 »
one reason for the lower troop  number isn't just how difficult it is to train a guy to use the gear but I think people with motion sickness could never qualified.  I mean that a lot of up and down

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2015, 12:28:16 »
There's probably a pill for that in the 31st century.  On some worlds, anyway.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2015, 13:21:39 »
i'm not sure it's a purely ballistic arc actually.. most likely jump infantry packs are closer to the real world rocket/jetpacks..
likethe Bell rocket belt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE6Sy5JNnxg

true flight.. just over short distances. (perhaps like all BT tech, the thruster heats up over use and they have to land to cool off?)
« Last Edit: 18 March 2015, 13:24:15 by glitterboy2098 »

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2015, 13:55:56 »
I can't quite get the vibe of how fast a trooper would be traveling through the air on an average jump.

Part of envisions an almost Ironman-esque "zoom!". Part of me envisions the scene from the movie Minority Report, where the cops show up up in jet packs and are coming into the alley and land, all the while moving relatively slowly in a very calculated fashion and then landing about as gently as a large bird.

I guess it's possible that both could be true, that a jump trooper might have a few tricks to pull from, with various pros and cons to each.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2015, 17:53:44 »
Well, figure they spend about 8 seconds of a 10 second turn in the air, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less.
Then they'd move at a rather reasonable pace on a long jump.
I'd say it's at least sprint speed.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 18 March 2015, 18:51:06 »
Karnovs aside, what are your other favorite vehicles for deploying jump infantry or carrying them around the battlefield?

Troikas. O0
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 18 March 2015, 19:01:12 »
The Cavalry with the 4 ton bay has been my go to for BA, I'd probably use it for Jump Infantry as well, if BA wasn't available.
-Joel BC-

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #26 on: 18 March 2015, 19:07:54 »
There's a full-page article about a minor Davion who was in the jump infantry near the end of the Star League in the old House Davion Sourcebook.  Page 104 if the pdf page numbers match the actual ones, or if you ctrl-f "Battlefield Royalty", it should take you right to it.  It talks about a combat drop from a Vampire gone pear-shaped.
Not too minor,  Dutchess Alexandra Davion, always loved that article.  And as you say, the original reference to the Vampire.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 18 March 2015, 19:10:38 »

Starleague Sourcebook has then bouncing from rooftop to rooftop during the coup trying to get into the Throne Room, then fighting down the halls, another minute & Amaris would have been dead before he ever controlled the TH.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 18 March 2015, 19:13:52 »
So, Paratrooper/Marine type to the extreme?
While every Jump Trooper isn't a Navy Seal,  I don't think it would be too far off to call them Airborne Rangers.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 18 March 2015, 19:17:27 »
There is a picture of them in the original MW RPG IIRC.
They use Hand Controls.
And I don't believe they shoot while jumping.
They jump to navigate obstacles & land from air deployment, but they seem to fight while standing on the ground.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #30 on: 18 March 2015, 19:25:52 »
Nothing. Is there something better?

I'm with CH.  Karnov is my default as well.
That said, if you were going a really long way, Planet Lifters.

A while back I had a side project I was working on to build an RCT from the various TW + 3085 Infantry types & used the 4th SW Atlas Mechanized Infantry Regiment Template.
1 Battalion of Foot (Para) Troopers,  1 Battalion of actual Jump Infantry,  1 Battalion of Transports/Escorts that was composed of a Company of 12 Karnov, Company of 12 Warriors, & Company/Squadron of 6 Planet Lifters, or something close to that IIRC.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #31 on: 18 March 2015, 23:02:02 »
There is a picture of them in the original MW RPG IIRC.
They use Hand Controls.
And I don't believe they shoot while jumping.
They jump to navigate obstacles & land from air deployment, but they seem to fight while standing on the ground.

sarna's pic.. from one of the merc handbooks.

compare it to some real world jetpacks..

Bell rocket Belt at Super Bowl I in 1967. had a 20 second flight time using hydrogen peroxide monopropellant.

the WR19 turbojet powered pack, 1965. had a 25 minute flying time.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 18 March 2015, 23:52:02 »
Reflex are probably the most important, since they're trained to fire while in the air, probably at the peak of the arc.

Shock troops, definitely, since IIRC shoving them out of a dropper for orbital insertion is a thing. And they hit the ground a lot faster than paratrooper, which can subjectively be considered a positive thing.

Ideal for Anti-Mech operations. Who needs a grappling hook when you can boost at the cockpit, stick a demo-brick to the canopy and mip-mip the hell outa there before anyone's the wiser.

Also great for urban operations. being able to quickly move from street level to rooftop, bouncing from roof to roof. They would be really difficult to intercept.

Their biggest asset is speed; strategic speed, that is. Almost like a battlemech, they can quickly deployed to just about anywhere anytime.

The FWL VTOL infantry? Now that taking it to the next level. Closest thing we got to "sky troopers".
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

ijewett

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 19 March 2015, 00:31:38 »
The Cavalry with the 4 ton bay has been my go to for BA, I'd probably use it for Jump Infantry as well, if BA wasn't available.

Big fan of this one also. It can even do a bit of combat if badly pressed. The Karnov falls out of the sky if anyone looks at it sideways. That said I recently bought a Cavalry Infiltrator (in campaign) and want to give it a go at dropping off specops. 

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 19 March 2015, 07:39:56 »
Starleague Sourcebook has then bouncing from rooftop to rooftop during the coup trying to get into the Throne Room, then fighting down the halls, another minute & Amaris would have been dead before he ever controlled the TH.

There's an interesting urban combat tactic....

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 19 March 2015, 09:48:16 »
that was a great touch, its the little near-misses like that which adds to the drama of history. Like how WW1 could've been averted.

Second the Cavalry BA. Probably my favourite general purpose VTOL.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 19 March 2015, 10:00:40 »
It's interesting to try an analyze the tactical ramifications of the jump pack.

Chain link fence in the way? Jump over it. Wall? Jump over it. Need to bypass a hardened fixed urban position? Run along building rooftops. Need to assault a skyscraper? blow out some windows on an upper level and jump into it from a VTOL. Need to assault a surface water vessel? Pull up along side and jump from one hull to the other.

Come under long range indirect artillery fire? Jump out of the kill zone. Discover a fortified MG position in front of you? Jump to flank it.

I'm not saying it's good for all occasions, it isn't, it potentially tells everyone in the area where you are just as if you'd shot up a flare. But deciphering what it is good for at a practical level is kinda fun, especially trying to come up with options you maybe hadn't thought of before. Gets the creative brain juices flowing...
« Last Edit: 19 March 2015, 10:03:18 by Alan Grant »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 19 March 2015, 10:16:45 »
Better yet, if you want to assault a surface water vessel? Take monitors and their attached jump infantry squad.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #38 on: 19 March 2015, 12:39:25 »
Better yet, if you want to assault a surface water vessel? Take monitors and their attached jump infantry squad.
"AWAY BOARDERS" from 3 hexes!

Also, good for herding pesky guerillas back into the killzone.
M. T. Thompson

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 19 March 2015, 13:59:15 »
I think the big thing to recognize is these are not "Toads", they don't bouncy bouncy shooty across the battlefield.
Looking at the real world backpack shown above & the realization that they have no reinforced leg actuators to support their weight.
They use the jetpack for a controlled jump & then land & fight as Leg infantry.
If they actually fought like toads they would all shatter their knee joints in the first minute of combat.  That or they would take so long landing every time that they get shot up as they slowly hover/land softly.

Using that SLSB example, I'd imagine they hop from one building edge to the other, then run the length of the building on foot, then stage up for another short hop across the alley/street to get to the next building.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 19 March 2015, 15:15:36 »
Fluff says they're trained to shoot mid-jump... Fighting on the ground like PBI negates their main advantage.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 19 March 2015, 16:03:36 »
Fluff says they're trained to shoot mid-jump... Fighting on the ground like PBI negates their main advantage.

You'll notice the little tubes on the backpack of the trooper. That's the SRM launcher.

Jump troops have more advanced versions of the weapons used by their foot brethren. The more advanced likely have HUDs displays with "look, shoot" systems.

And reality is they probably need to have some kind of mechanical leg braces to help absorb the shock. Back when  this art was done, reality was not as big a factor in the game. Cool art was.  If you look at the RAF Jump Trooper in TRO3085s you'll see a big pivot hinge on the side of the knee. The braces are under the pant leg above and probably incorporated into the boot below.

In retrospect, I should have asked the artist to gimble mount the rifle so it was more obvious that it could be fired while jumping. We'll just say he's got it dismounted from the gimble right now and it's stowed away. :)

The Stone's Track SpecOps trooper is also using a jump pack. You'll notice it only has one control. As a SpecOps trooper most of the controls are probably built into the HUD with the big handle being more of a manual override. This allows the trooper greater flexibility. If they need to drop the jump pack quickly, they don't lose their weapon. As SpecOps, the jump pack is more for mobility than for combat maneuver.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2015, 16:10:37 by Welshman »
-Joel BC-

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 19 March 2015, 16:29:04 »
I think the big thing to recognize is these are not "Toads", they don't bouncy bouncy shooty across the battlefield.
Looking at the real world backpack shown above & the realization that they have no reinforced leg actuators to support their weight.
They use the jetpack for a controlled jump & then land & fight as Leg infantry.
If they actually fought like toads they would all shatter their knee joints in the first minute of combat.  That or they would take so long landing every time that they get shot up as they slowly hover/land softly.

Using that SLSB example, I'd imagine they hop from one building edge to the other, then run the length of the building on foot, then stage up for another short hop across the alley/street to get to the next building.

Good thing this isn't reality because I use them just like toads.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 19 March 2015, 16:48:11 »
Good thing this isn't reality because I use them just like toads.
Meh, who doesn't?  I'm just say there is a difference between what we like them to do on the CBT map & how they probably work.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 19 March 2015, 17:02:21 »
What fluff?  Can you provide a source?
Every description of Jump Infantry I can find says they are very hard to train & use the Jump Pack to overcome terrain/obstacles not shoot from the air.
We could even look at the RPG-MW3 game where using a Jet Pack took up an Action & you could NOT shoot in the same phase.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 19 March 2015, 17:11:58 »
You'll notice the little tubes on the backpack of the trooper. That's the SRM launcher. 
Actually Welsh, that picture is from MW1 & is fluffed as being used for marking targets.
The Anti-Mech SRM Launcher is a much larger shoulder fired weapon.

And reality is they probably need to have some kind of mechanical leg braces to help absorb the shock. Back when  this art was done, reality was not as big a factor in the game. 
I'm all for some braces in art but I'm still not sure I'm buying into their moving/shooting like Toads.
IMO, If they could actually do that then the Toads wouldn't have needed to be introduced.
Not to mention if they actually jumped everywhere they'd run out of fuel fairly quickly.

Heck even mechwarriors in the books have to focus hard to make sure they land properly when they use Jumpjets & there's no trauma to their legs.  I'm having a hard time picturing the controlled fall that is using a jetpack in the manner-frequency that the CBT game lets us do it.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2015, 17:13:51 by Hellraiser »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 19 March 2015, 17:25:57 »
Toads have armor. I know you know that, but that's  the big reason they were introduced.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 19 March 2015, 18:26:19 »
I think firing from above is rather impractical, you more or less have only one hand free, or you need some serious artistic talent, and you won't be accurate at all.
I can see them dropping a grenade, but accurately firing a rifle, that sort of needs a targeting computer.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 19 March 2015, 18:32:05 »
I think firing from above is rather impractical, you more or less have only one hand free, or you need some serious artistic talent, and you won't be accurate at all.
I can see them dropping a grenade, but accurately firing a rifle, that sort of needs a targeting computer.

Or the jetpack isn't linked to arm controls all the time, or the jetpack has weapon mounts rather than the weapon being carried separately.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 19 March 2015, 18:32:42 »
So the intent is that Jump Infantry can fire while moving or when on the ground. We recognize that art has not been great at showing how things would work and we have never gone into details.

- Yes, jump infantry would need some kind of head up display to assist with targeting.

- Rifle Jump infantry probably shoot while jumping the least.

- Elementals were introduced because of the armor, not because they could fire while jumping.

- At the end of the day, none of this changes game mechanics, so whatever works for you.
-Joel BC-

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 19 March 2015, 20:09:55 »
What fluff?  Can you provide a source?
Every description of Jump Infantry I can find says they are very hard to train & use the Jump Pack to overcome terrain/obstacles not shoot from the air.
We could even look at the RPG-MW3 game where using a Jet Pack took up an Action & you could NOT shoot in the same phase.
TechManual p.272, the part about infantry motive systems.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 19 March 2015, 20:12:10 »
So the intent is that Jump Infantry can fire while moving or when on the ground. We recognize that art has not been great at showing how things would work and we have never gone into details.

- Yes, jump infantry would need some kind of head up display to assist with targeting.

- Rifle Jump infantry probably shoot while jumping the least.

- Elementals were introduced because of the armor, not because they could fire while jumping.

- At the end of the day, none of this changes game mechanics, so whatever works for you.

I'm all for having fun while playing a game.
After all, while it might be realistic to have a Move or Shoot rule for Jump like Foot Support Weapon platoons, It would take away all the fun of playing with them.
I'm just thinking of the realities of shooting while trying to stay balanced in a controlled fall.  Great for Hollywood, not so great for reality  ;)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 19 March 2015, 20:13:50 »
TechManual p.272, the part about infantry motive systems.
Yes, I found this not 5 minutes ago. 
Nothing in BMR, TW, 4 Field Manuals, etc etc.  Then finally found that 1 line. 
I still don't buy it as something that works outside of a Hollywood film  :D

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 19 March 2015, 20:41:04 »
I still don't buy it as something that works outside of a Hollywood film  :D

I would point out the main character in this film is a 10 meter tall robot with techno-organic musculature, a super complex gyro and a human pilot who uses their sense of balance to keep the machine upright and moving at freeway speeds.

The entire game is based on several "Hollywood" premises that we all suspend our disbelief on to allow the game to be enjoyable.

Jump Packs in BattleTech are not just an evolution of the ones we have today. They draw on the same technology and learning that allows a 50 ton BattleMech to fly 180 meters (about two football fields) and land without any damage.

So welcome to Hollywood and have fun shooting womp rats.  :)
-Joel BC-

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 19 March 2015, 22:19:23 »
Frankly, I figured that being true to their role as shock troops, they'll gravitate toward shock weapons with high-risk/high-reward. Like shotguns, "noob tubes"  ;) or dual-wielding SMGs; because WTH... You ain't gonna be accurate, might as well throw a lot of firepower at the enemy general direction; at the very least, you'll supress them.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 19 March 2015, 23:54:48 »
Jump Packs in BattleTech are not just an evolution of the ones we have today. They draw on the same technology and learning that allows a 50 ton BattleMech to fly 180 meters (about two football fields) and land without any damage.

So welcome to Hollywood and have fun shooting womp rats.  :)

I was thinking about how a 90m jump at freefall speeds will take 4 seconds just to land & that is nearly half the combat turn & if slowed down to avoid splatting will take more than the entire combat turn is long............. and then I decided your right & its best not to think about this too much.

What IS a womp rat anyway?  Has anyone ever seen a womp rat?  And why would you shoot them with a starfighter?

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 20 March 2015, 00:53:19 »
Did we mention each jump pack comes with a TARDIS built into it? :)

Welcome to FASA physics, try not to think to hard on it, you'll break it.
-Joel BC-

Shatara

• Master Sergeant
  • Your flank belongs to the Star League
« Reply #57 on: 20 March 2015, 05:00:23 »
I think of them as elite Airborne/Air Assualt troops. I tend to stick with lighter weapons, since while small arms can get by on rule of cool, there aren't enough suspenders in the multiverse to hold up the idea that these guys can service Support Machine Guns and Heavy Recoilless Rifles while bouncing around like Daffy Duck.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 20 March 2015, 07:38:46 »
TRO 3085 shows some Jump Troopers with rather heavy waponry, the support weapons just part of the Jump Module/Jump pack.

Look at the lady from the 292nd League Regulars- you can see sophisticated targetting gear, ammo and the missle launcher. OTOH you have the Gurkha- who carries a rifle and normal backpack like jump pack.

So there is a lot of variety.

« Last Edit: 20 March 2015, 07:43:59 by Martius »

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 20 March 2015, 09:09:58 »
we're killing catgirl in this thread  :'(

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #60 on: 20 March 2015, 10:27:58 »
Look at the lady from the 292nd League Regulars-

One of my favorite art. I thought long and hard on this one before approving the design of the infantry (AlexanderKnight did all our infantry design for 3085) and create art notes. It really is a bit of a cross between a motorized trooper and a jump trooper whose mother was a Kanga.

-Joel BC-

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 20 March 2015, 14:12:36 »
I love the Royal Gurkhas from TRO: 3085. That art made me want to play around with jump infantry.

Though...I imagine in combat the bush hat gets replaced with a helmet.

Also the Starfire is an surprising choice of weapon for jump infantry. Single fire weapon that can only be fired every few seconds, but powerful and with a long range, really a sharpshooter's weapon. But the beam is nearly invisible so that's good. I just imagine auto or at least burst fire weapons would be preferred for a lot of jump infantry units, or at least laser rifles without the cool-down time.

I think that speaks to the Gurkhas only firing their weapons while on the ground.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2015, 14:15:46 by Alan Grant »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 20 March 2015, 14:40:20 »
I love the Royal Gurkhas from TRO: 3085. That art made me want to play around with jump infantry.

Though...I imagine in combat the bush hat gets replaced with a helmet.

Also the Starfire is an surprising choice of weapon for jump infantry. Single fire weapon that can only be fired every few seconds, but powerful and with a long range, really a sharpshooter's weapon. But the beam is nearly invisible so that's good. I just imagine auto or at least burst fire weapons would be preferred for a lot of jump infantry units, or at least laser rifles without the cool-down time.

I think that speaks to the Gurkhas only firing their weapons while on the ground.
Nah, it's a fancy lostech bush hat.  Proof against all sorts of weaponry.   :D
Sunrise is Coming.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 20 March 2015, 14:53:33 »

The Gurkha are an exception to the rule. Their jump packs are to get them into position, not to attack.

And no, no helmet. These were a specific design I called for based on my own research and fascination with the Gurkhas. The irony is my fascination came from the Sten science fiction series of the 1980's. The Nepalese tribes that Gurkha soldiers are recruited from are perhaps the closest thing to Dwarves we have in the real world. There is an account of a Gurkha soldier being kicked by the regimental mule. The soldier complained of a headache, the mule went lame.

I specifically made them jump infantry from the inspiration of a Gurkha assault on Burma in WW II. During the briefing the senior enlisted Gurkha (they weren't allowed to be officers until after WW II) protested that jumping from the airplane at 500 feet was too high and asked that the planes fly at 200 feet. The general in the room said "Good god man, your chutes won't have time to open!" To which the Gurkha responded, completely straight faced, "Oh we get parachutes, then 500 feet will be fine."

He was ready to have all his men jump out of a moving airplane at 200 feet and then attack a Japanese airfield.

If I had known the Mariks had Gurkhas when I first got into BT, I would never have gone Davion in the first place. :)
-Joel BC-

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 20 March 2015, 18:25:07 »
TRO 3085 shows some Jump Troopers with rather heavy waponry, the support weapons just part of the Jump Module/Jump pack.

Look at the lady from the 292nd League Regulars- you can see sophisticated targetting gear, ammo and the missle launcher. OTOH you have the Gurkha- who carries a rifle and normal backpack like jump pack.

So there is a lot of variety.

I've always wondered what was going on in this pic - is that contraption strapped to her a giant Jump pack with a built in AA launcher?
Does she jump around with that thing strapped to her? Or is a collapsible unit they assemble once in position.
Because it looks huge and incapable of carrying around

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 20 March 2015, 18:31:50 »
I've always wondered what was going on in this pic - is that contraption strapped to her a giant Jump pack with a built in AA launcher?
Does she jump around with that thing strapped to her? Or is a collapsible unit they assemble once in position.

That is a jump "platform". It's what a jump pack dreams of becoming when it grows up. Essentially it's an exoskeleton combined with a jump pack to allow the carrying of heavy weaponry like the infantry fired AA Missile.
-Joel BC-

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 20 March 2015, 18:32:07 »

The Blood Kite can jump 90 meters (the length of a football field) and land at a run.

There are much more egregious offenses to the sensibilities than a bulky jump pack. ;)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 20 March 2015, 19:11:00 »
That is a jump "platform". It's what a jump pack dreams of becoming when it grows up. Essentially it's an exoskeleton combined with a jump pack to allow the carrying of heavy weaponry like the infantry fired AA Missile.

Cool. Although I can't imagine it being capable of landing on rough terrain, etc?

Also - wanted to say I love the Gurkha units! Bush hat, ER laser and jump pack is a winning combo for me any day!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #68 on: 20 March 2015, 20:27:05 »
I prefer the dragon riders.  Elephant guns and pith helmets ho!  :D

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #69 on: 21 March 2015, 05:03:16 »
Cool. Although I can't imagine it being capable of landing on rough terrain, etc?

Also - wanted to say I love the Gurkha units! Bush hat, ER laser and jump pack is a winning combo for me any day!

The Gurkhas prefer to close and use anti-Mech kukris though

Watching a platoon cut trophy 'Mech heads off their fallen enemies is only a rumour but 'Mech jocks in the Lyran and Capellan militarises still whisper such stories...
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 21 March 2015, 06:17:02 »

The Gurkhas prefer to close and use anti-Mech kukris though

Watching a platoon cut trophy 'Mech heads off their fallen enemies is only a rumour but 'Mech jocks in the Lyran and Capellan militarises still whisper such stories...

I could imagine entire Cappie units deserting courtesy of mere rumours the Gurkhas were in the area....

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 21 March 2015, 07:17:05 »
I prefer the dragon riders.  Elephant guns and pith helmets ho!  :D

I would love to see art of a jump infantry unit with some variation of the pith helmet. That would be awesome.

Now I'm just playing trooper dress up I guess.   

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 21 March 2015, 22:57:34 »
I could imagine entire Cappie units deserting courtesy of mere rumours the Gurkhas were in the area....

I can't validate the story directly. However when I was doing my Gurkha research I had a friend who was on first name basis with the head of the Royal Rifles Corps, so the story isn't a random internet rumor.

The story goes that during the Falklands war an Argentine regiment found itself caught between a full regiment (of high skill and repute) and a Gurkha battalion which it outnumbered significantly. The Argentine regiment surrendered to the full regiment of British troops so they wouldn't have to face the Gurkhas.

-Joel BC-

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 22 March 2015, 01:13:51 »
I would love to see art of a jump infantry unit with some variation of the pith helmet. That would be awesome.

Now I'm just playing trooper dress up I guess.
Completely understandable, BTech is filled with fashion victims.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 22 March 2015, 13:00:42 »
Do we know if infantry thruster jet packs work in a no-oxygen environment?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 22 March 2015, 13:08:23 »
The fiction I referenced earlier mentions fuel and oxygen storage, so I would guess yes.
Sunrise is Coming.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 22 March 2015, 14:02:38 »
Thanks!

And another question....

Do we have any vehicle transports with 4 ton infantry bays? I see a lot of vehicles with 3 or 6 ton bays (probably designed with 3 ton foot infantry in mind). I'm looking for something with either 4 or 8, meaning it can carry 1-2 platoons of jump infantry without leaving any empty capacity.

I mean both air and ground transport btw, so VTOLs and and ground vehicles. I'm basically trying to figure out options for mechanizing jump infantry.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 22 March 2015, 14:21:34 »
IS BA squads weigh 4 tons, look for anything designed as an APC/IFV in an era where BA are common.  The Maxim-Infantry comes immediately to mind, it has 12 tons of infantry bay space.
Sunrise is Coming.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 22 March 2015, 18:43:48 »
Good point thanks.

I found the movie Minority Report on youtube. Found the scenes with the jet pack cops.     :)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 24 March 2015, 20:54:53 »
Do we have any vehicle transports with 4 ton infantry bays? I see a lot of vehicles with 3 or 6 ton bays (probably designed with 3 ton foot infantry in mind). I'm looking for something with either 4 or 8, meaning it can carry 1-2 platoons of jump infantry without leaving any empty capacity.

I mean both air and ground transport btw, so VTOLs and and ground vehicles. I'm basically trying to figure out options for mechanizing jump infantry.
Karnov-BA, 8 tons for 2 BAS or 2 JIP.
Bandit & Badger both come with 4T bays on them fixed IIRC with some versions that pack in a 2nd bay.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 24 March 2015, 21:44:44 »
Well my preferred aerial delivery unit for BA or Jump Infantry actually has to be the Maxim Hover Tank.....

Air dropped from a Zugovel Omni Support Craft.

Then again, I could be biased.
-Joel BC-

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 24 March 2015, 23:08:26 »
Maxim from a zugovel would be a hard landing...

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 25 March 2015, 00:51:13 »
Maxim from a zugovel would be a hard landing...

Read the intro to FM:3085.
-Joel BC-

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 25 March 2015, 07:51:34 »
Do you think jump infantry in the periphery are a lot rarer than they are in the inner Sphere?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 25 March 2015, 08:07:57 »
Current timeline? No idea. Before the time jump? They're everywhere.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 25 March 2015, 09:15:52 »
The Periphery nations aren't that backward in the infantry field, quite the oppossite since they rely more on conventional forces instead of mechs.

Jumpers are simply rare in general. It's simply so much easier to raise a grunt or motorized infantry. Each faction has usually a single cannon jump school, maybe a few more; but almost every planet has the means to train regular infantry, and most do. No point for a planet to send thousands of recruit across the empire, just to fill up its own planetary militia.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 25 March 2015, 14:10:46 »
Do you think jump infantry in the periphery are a lot rarer than they are in the inner Sphere?

Current timeline? No idea. Before the time jump? They're everywhere.

The Periphery nations aren't that backward in the infantry field, quite the oppossite since they rely more on conventional forces instead of mechs.

Jumpers are simply rare in general. It's simply so much easier to raise a grunt or motorized infantry. Each faction has usually a single cannon jump school, maybe a few more; but almost every planet has the means to train regular infantry, and most do. No point for a planet to send thousands of recruit across the empire, just to fill up its own planetary militia.

I would say they are more rare in the Periphery because everything "advanced" is more rare in the Periphery, but as Sol says they are NOT common in the IS either.

The FC-RCT's have them as 1/5 Regiments but that is only in the RCTs.  They are the least common type of infantry & are rarely found outside of RCT deployments.

The question then is what is "Rare" outside of RCT deployments?  Would you say Rare would be 4 RCT Jump regiments for every 1 Non-RCT Jump regiment?  I'm honestly not sure but that sounds like a good figure.

Some quick stats.
There are 14-ish Infantry Regiments for every Mech Regiment in the AFFS Line Forces.
Half are assigned as individual regiments, the other half are assigned to RCTs & Full Infantry Brigades.
So if we multiply that by 4 RCTs we have a total of 56 Infantry Regiments. 
Based on our 4/1 Jump ratio question this means 5 of which would be Jump Regiments.  So less than 10% of all Infantry.
Half of the infantry regiments (28) are assigned as Single Regiments typically to garrison worlds, probably as a "liason" type position to coordinate with the planetary militia or as a core unit for the PM to form around & take direction from.
20 Regiments are assigned to the 4 RCTs.
This leaves us with 8 Regiments assigned as part of Infantry Brigades.  So probably 2 Brigades of 4 Regiments each with an attached tank regiment taking it to 5 total regiments.  I would guess that 1 extra Jump Regiment is part of one of the Brigades v/s being independently assigned as garrison.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 25 March 2015, 14:15:04 »
Still doesn't  mean they're not everywhere. Deep periphery, maybe not so common but the close periphery nations would have them.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 25 March 2015, 14:24:18 »
Agreed, I don't think anyone is restricted from having them.  Simply that they might be even more rare in the Periphery.
Say 5% v/s 9% or whatever.  But still part of the military for sure.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: 25 March 2015, 14:42:12 »
I'd be very interested to know where those stats are from (and what era). Always on the lookout for such "hard" data (even if it only accounts for "line" units, while the militia infantry would definitely outnumber them by a huge margin).

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #90 on: 25 March 2015, 15:54:55 »
I would say they are more rare in the Periphery because everything "advanced" is more rare in the Periphery, but as Sol says they are NOT common in the IS either.

The FC-RCT's have them as 1/5 Regiments but that is only in the RCTs.  They are the least common type of infantry & are rarely found outside of RCT deployments.

The question then is what is "Rare" outside of RCT deployments?  Would you say Rare would be 4 RCT Jump regiments for every 1 Non-RCT Jump regiment?  I'm honestly not sure but that sounds like a good figure.

Some quick stats.
There are 14-ish Infantry Regiments for every Mech Regiment in the AFFS Line Forces.
Half are assigned as individual regiments, the other half are assigned to RCTs & Full Infantry Brigades.
So if we multiply that by 4 RCTs we have a total of 56 Infantry Regiments. 
Based on our 4/1 Jump ratio question this means 5 of which would be Jump Regiments.  So less than 10% of all Infantry.
Half of the infantry regiments (28) are assigned as Single Regiments typically to garrison worlds, probably as a "liason" type position to coordinate with the planetary militia or as a core unit for the PM to form around & take direction from.
20 Regiments are assigned to the 4 RCTs.
This leaves us with 8 Regiments assigned as part of Infantry Brigades.  So probably 2 Brigades of 4 Regiments each with an attached tank regiment taking it to 5 total regiments.  I would guess that 1 extra Jump Regiment is part of one of the Brigades v/s being independently assigned as garrison.
They're in other RCTs as well, not just the FC Brigade.

I really didn't follow your math below that.  Why are we multiplying 14 by 4?  There are a whole lot more RCTs than that.  Run that by again, please?
Sunrise is Coming.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #91 on: 25 March 2015, 22:06:13 »
I'd be very interested to know where those stats are from (and what era). Always on the lookout for such "hard" data (even if it only accounts for "line" units, while the militia infantry would definitely outnumber them by a huge margin).
Most/All of it is from FM:FS

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 25 March 2015, 22:21:43 »
They're in other RCTs as well, not just the FC Brigade.

I really didn't follow your math below that.  Why are we multiplying 14 by 4?  There are a whole lot more RCTs than that.  Run that by again, please?
1.  LOL, Federated Commonwealth RCTs.  Not FedComCorps.  As in not SLDF-RCTs which are a different monster   ;)

2.  14x4 was because we had to "guess" at what "rare" outside of RCTs means.
My suggesion/question to all was "would you call rare 4/1 ratio?"
As in for every 4 "RCT" Jump Infantry Regiments there is 1 "Non-RCT" Jump Infantry Regiment.
The issue with my math is your definition of "RARE".
Assuming we agree that 4/1 would be "rare" then I just quadrupled the size to account for 4 RCTs & the "non" RCT Infantry Regiments total.

Specifics of what we know.

14ish to 1 is the Infantry to Mech ratio of AFFS Front Line.
Of those 14 Infantry Regiment, 7 are "Individual",  5 are "RCT" Infantry Regiments, & 2 are "Brigade" Infantry Regiments.
Jump Infantry is Rare outside of RCTs where it is 20%.  Foot Infantry is the cheapest.  Foot & Motorized both common.
Mechanized (IE Foot/Motor + Transports) is less common.

Multiple by 4 was just to see a larger figure to establish how often you would see Jump Infantry in the remainder of the Infantry Regiments of the nation.  Which was less than 10% total & less than 3% outside of RCTs.  Again assuming a 4/1 ratio as "Rare"
It could be less.  Which is why I asked for input.

Register