Author Topic: Tell me about....Jump Infantry  (Read 21440 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Tell me about....Jump Infantry
« Reply #90 on: 25 March 2015, 15:54:55 »
I would say they are more rare in the Periphery because everything "advanced" is more rare in the Periphery, but as Sol says they are NOT common in the IS either.

The FC-RCT's have them as 1/5 Regiments but that is only in the RCTs.  They are the least common type of infantry & are rarely found outside of RCT deployments.

The question then is what is "Rare" outside of RCT deployments?  Would you say Rare would be 4 RCT Jump regiments for every 1 Non-RCT Jump regiment?  I'm honestly not sure but that sounds like a good figure.

Some quick stats.
There are 14-ish Infantry Regiments for every Mech Regiment in the AFFS Line Forces.
Half are assigned as individual regiments, the other half are assigned to RCTs & Full Infantry Brigades.
So if we multiply that by 4 RCTs we have a total of 56 Infantry Regiments. 
Based on our 4/1 Jump ratio question this means 5 of which would be Jump Regiments.  So less than 10% of all Infantry.
Half of the infantry regiments (28) are assigned as Single Regiments typically to garrison worlds, probably as a "liason" type position to coordinate with the planetary militia or as a core unit for the PM to form around & take direction from.
20 Regiments are assigned to the 4 RCTs.
This leaves us with 8 Regiments assigned as part of Infantry Brigades.  So probably 2 Brigades of 4 Regiments each with an attached tank regiment taking it to 5 total regiments.  I would guess that 1 extra Jump Regiment is part of one of the Brigades v/s being independently assigned as garrison.
They're in other RCTs as well, not just the FC Brigade.

I really didn't follow your math below that.  Why are we multiplying 14 by 4?  There are a whole lot more RCTs than that.  Run that by again, please?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #91 on: 25 March 2015, 22:06:13 »
I'd be very interested to know where those stats are from (and what era). Always on the lookout for such "hard" data (even if it only accounts for "line" units, while the militia infantry would definitely outnumber them by a huge margin).
Most/All of it is from FM:FS
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #92 on: 25 March 2015, 22:21:43 »
They're in other RCTs as well, not just the FC Brigade.

I really didn't follow your math below that.  Why are we multiplying 14 by 4?  There are a whole lot more RCTs than that.  Run that by again, please?
1.  LOL, Federated Commonwealth RCTs.  Not FedComCorps.  As in not SLDF-RCTs which are a different monster   ;)

2.  14x4 was because we had to "guess" at what "rare" outside of RCTs means.
My suggesion/question to all was "would you call rare 4/1 ratio?"
As in for every 4 "RCT" Jump Infantry Regiments there is 1 "Non-RCT" Jump Infantry Regiment.
The issue with my math is your definition of "RARE".
Assuming we agree that 4/1 would be "rare" then I just quadrupled the size to account for 4 RCTs & the "non" RCT Infantry Regiments total.

Specifics of what we know.

14ish to 1 is the Infantry to Mech ratio of AFFS Front Line.
Of those 14 Infantry Regiment, 7 are "Individual",  5 are "RCT" Infantry Regiments, & 2 are "Brigade" Infantry Regiments.
Jump Infantry is Rare outside of RCTs where it is 20%.  Foot Infantry is the cheapest.  Foot & Motorized both common.
Mechanized (IE Foot/Motor + Transports) is less common.

Multiple by 4 was just to see a larger figure to establish how often you would see Jump Infantry in the remainder of the Infantry Regiments of the nation.  Which was less than 10% total & less than 3% outside of RCTs.  Again assuming a 4/1 ratio as "Rare"
It could be less.  Which is why I asked for input.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo