Author Topic: manga time so what are you reading now? (Links may be NSFW)  (Read 130651 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: manga time so what are you reading now? (Links may be NSFW)
« Reply #420 on: 16 June 2017, 18:39:09 »
so worth getting my claws on it?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #421 on: 16 June 2017, 18:44:53 »
so worth getting my claws on it?

YES!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #422 on: 16 June 2017, 18:53:46 »
Well he is, Pandora in the Crimson Shell is his writing (absolutely love the manga), it's just Rikdou's art. Masamune still puts out a lot of artbooks, if you're into softcore erotica......  :-X
...Of extremely misproportioned women... and some stuff that's not so softcore. "Scantily clad woman, unclad woman, unclad woman, scantily clad woman, horseman doing WHAT to that woman?!"

But Pandora in the Crimson Shell is definitely something that I'm thinking about picking up. I like Koshi Rikdou's non-mecha art a lot more than Shirow's (if I'm being, like, totally honest here), and Shirow always does good storylines. the anime was very cute, but just haven't gotten around to the manga. Yet.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #423 on: 22 June 2017, 21:48:18 »
After a few days of burning some sleep-hours, i finally finished 3x3 eyes. It has been years since i wanted to read that serie completly! 1987-2002, thats a lot of volumes....
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #424 on: 12 July 2017, 22:17:01 »
I have read something funny about Goblin Slayer:
If this was instead a manga about cute high school girls doing something, people would be having a ******* meltdown and screaming their heads off about "sexualization," "pedophilia," "pandering" and "moeshit," but when it comes to rape nobody has any issues.
Censored the f-bomb. And I seriously laughed at that :))

Great majority of fantasy works are ... how Frodo put it? Something about tales about great adventures, heroic deeds, and whatnot. The stuff like Hercules (Heracles?), Knights of the round table, and Lord of the Rings. Goblin Slayer is almost like fantasy equivalent of All Quiet on the Western Front, Apocalypse Now Redux, and Stalingrad, which leaves several (human) characters raped, dead, and broken in various ways.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #426 on: 14 July 2017, 09:53:42 »
I like Dungeon Meshi more. I prefer maybe about 20-30% drama, not 90%. But that's just me, and I know that other people have different tastes.
I prefer variety. And so I read both Goblin Slayer and Dungeon Meshi ;)
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #427 on: 14 July 2017, 22:48:46 »
Ever since I got my tablet, I've been reading a LOT of manga - mostly stuff I'd already read, but one thing that had been sitting on my to-read list for I'm not sure how many years and I finally got around to was My Lovely Ghost Kana.

The basic premise is simple: One sunset, a woman decides to kill herself so she doesn't have to face another lonely night. Three years later, her ghost meets the love of her afterlife when a man moves into the apartment she's haunting.

It has... a lot of sex, and some great gags related to sex (at one point, she literally starts floating in the air, only to drop him mid-coitus). But I'd say it's not a hentai manga because the focus isn't really on the sex, it's on the romance of two adults discovering each other.

Only 3 volumes long, so it's not a deep dive, but it's well worth it.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #428 on: 21 July 2017, 11:00:58 »
Picked up the final volume of Sacred Blacksmith. It really wrapped up well.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #429 on: 21 July 2017, 11:58:04 »
Picked up the final volume of Sacred Blacksmith. It really wrapped up well.
I've got anime of that. How long is manga compared to anime? Any differences? Which one do you call better?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #430 on: 21 July 2017, 17:53:16 »
I've got anime of that. How long is manga compared to anime? Any differences? Which one do you call better?

The manga is far longer than the anime, and has 10 volumes...there are several differences...I still need to get the last volume...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #431 on: 09 August 2017, 11:42:25 »
angel densetsu
manga about a boy with such an evil looking face that makes any one seeing him assume that he is nothing but the  most evil creature to walk the earth. which happens to be total opposite of his personality...
old but still fun to read there was an anime for one episode made out of it.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #432 on: 09 August 2017, 11:46:39 »
Tomo-chan is updating again!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #433 on: 09 August 2017, 12:54:32 »
angel densetsu
manga about a boy with such an evil looking face that makes any one seeing him assume that he is nothing but the  most evil creature to walk the earth. which happens to be total opposite of his personality...
old but still fun to read there was an anime for one episode made out of it.
Read that a while back, it is a VERY good read. I especially enjoyed how his parents figured into his whole story.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #434 on: 10 August 2017, 16:09:19 »
Anyone know what the story is for Knight's and Magic manga? Wikipedia says it was supposed to be on Crunchyroll though can't find any additional information on if this is correct.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #435 on: 10 August 2017, 21:31:45 »
I do, i follow the manga where i can find it.  The problem right now is the anime is cruising ahead of where i left off.
It does look like they skimmed some development time of the three main characters, which i was little disappointed.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #436 on: 10 August 2017, 22:57:08 »
It does look like they skimmed some development time of the three main characters, which i was little disappointed.
How bad does anime cut off? Is it as bad/much as in Gate?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #437 on: 12 August 2017, 07:33:55 »
How bad does anime cut off? Is it as bad/much as in Gate?
The spirit of the book there, but alot development that lead to him becoming engineer were completely skimmed away.  Manga goes into when first meet his friends and couple adventures they went on sort of as he became gadgeteer.  Then drama at the school before he even touched the a Knight and went on that fateful where mc finally got to show off his stuff and used the cowardly Knight Runner's Knight.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #438 on: 12 August 2017, 13:36:30 »
So I've been reading EVEN MORE manga these last few months - I'm under a crapton of stress trying to find us a place to live before I get kicked out on September first (would you believe I've got 11 grand in the bank, more money than I've ever had, and STILL can't find a home to rent that will take cats?) and manga's been one of the rare escapes.

Little Witch's Collier is great. The backstory is, I think, that witches (psychics, really) were persecuted along with Jews/Romani/homosexuals during WW2, but because there were so much fewer of them they were almost extinguished - so one of the last ones, a 6-8 year old girl, is kept for her own safety in a giant French castle, wearing a collar to suppress her power. A male teacher comes in from America, and she starts to feel less trapped... It's a nice 3-volume bundle, not long at all.

Shokugeki no Souma:
Aside from the ridiculous premise that this is a high school (it honestly feels more like a highly specialized college!) it's awesome. I never would have thought that cooking battles in a school would be so engrossing, but the characters are so genuinely enjoyable, and the ecchi moments right after eating food are somehow hilarious.

Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary:
At first I thought, "Oh golly gee, another monster girl manga, how boorish..." but if the unstated message of Interviews with Monster Girls is "It's okay to be different," then Monster Infirmary's message is "Let your freak flag fly! Be as different as possible!" In this world, everyone mutates into some sort of monster when they hit puberty, and that allows some good gags as well as good moments that feel genuine - we all remember that awkward moment when our bodies started changing, now imagine that you suddenly grew a 12-foot tongue or extra pair of arms?

Dr Slump was Akira Toriyama's breakout thing, and man... I actually don't like it much. I think I laughed once a volume in a genuine fashion, which ain't good for a gag manga. I prefer Dragonball, at least that meshed gags with an ongoing story.

Dance in the Vampire Bund frustrated me intensely. Not because it was bad - quite the opposite! - but because the main storyline ENDED WITHOUT FULL RESOLUTION. It doesn't shy away from nudity and the classic trope vampires are sexual beings while being asexual - most of chapter 2 involved a nearly-naked loli vampire tearing apart humans in hand to hand - but the story was good enough that it kept me reading. Sigh, i need to find the later volumes.

Just finished up to volume 6 of Ancient Magus' Bride. A little girl that can see and attract spirits is purchased by a half-human, half-fae wizard as an apprentice and wife? So much good folklore in here. One great touch is how normally proportioned the human women are, whereas the fae women are... well... as exaggerated as any normal anime woman.

My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness is tear-jerking. It's strange, usually I hate the kind of self-pity manga, but the fact that she combines it with rough-edged semi-chibi art is just a perfect contrast. Plus, lesbians. Note: some chapters have nudity and one has sex, but really... it's kind of not what it's about.

I got bored of One Piece around volume... 16, I think? When they pick up Chopper? I think the only reason I kept reading was for the little one-page stories of the other characters that were at the start of most chapters. I was honestly skimming past the fights, and it seemed as though more and more fighting was coming up.

Ditto that for another classic, Yu Yu Hakusho. When the main character was a ghost, waiting to get back to his body, and there was a healthy bit of horror/mystery with the gags, conflicting with his "meathead punch harder!" personality? Great. When they started to climb some tower of baddies and had to fight them one by one - and a former bad guy was suddenly their friend? Boorrrrrriiiing.

The One Punch Man manga, on the other hand, was really, really good. I think I liked it better than the anime because I could easily move past the fighting scenes which bored me. But that spot in Volume 7 where there were literally 12 double pages of a single punch was... just... glorious.

I think... I think I'm starting to become bored of shonen punchypunchy, that last example aside. I'm not sure when it happened, but I can remember the clearest example of it starting: When I was watching the Danmachi anime and I literally skipped past the minotaur fight the MC fought just before he ranked up. I mean, he wins, yes, that's nice, now let me see what happens after. I think that's my problem with Gunnm Last Order. I want Gally's backstory and to see more of how the solar system functions, not punchypunchy big tournament crap.

Next on my docket: My Hero Academia, Sacred Blacksmith, and rereading Marmalade Boy.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #439 on: 13 August 2017, 12:38:07 »
New silly manga i found to read while i wait between reps at the gym: Danberu nan kiro moteru? or How Many Kilos are the Dumbbells You Lift? . Silly and fun history, good fitness advices, and the faces the artist draw are very funny.

Warning: Some pinups are almost NSFW.

Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #440 on: 17 August 2017, 10:15:33 »
New volume of Spice & Wolf dropped last month.  This manga is EASILY my third favorite of all time - nothing touches the transcendent joy and tranquil wonder of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Isaki of the Cub, but S&W...might as well be up there with them in my personal Trinity.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #441 on: 17 August 2017, 11:08:03 »
New volume of Spice & Wolf dropped last month.
Did someone complain about fight scenes? This one doesn't have that many, so it should be an obvious choice to those who don't have interest for fighting.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #442 on: 18 August 2017, 07:02:06 »

I think the manga is a bit better (both are good) as the heroine has no compulsion against killing.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #443 on: 18 August 2017, 07:03:42 »
Did someone complain about fight scenes? This one doesn't have that many, so it should be an obvious choice to those who don't have interest for fighting.
Can confirm, much of it is the protagonists thinking their way out of a dilemma, which is always a nice touch - and especially the utterly perfect back and forth with Craft and Holo
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #444 on: 20 August 2017, 01:10:56 »
Any info on why CR has manga listed for Knights and Magic as well as Restaurant to Another World but neither will pull up?

kato

• Captain
« Reply #445 on: 20 August 2017, 01:23:32 »
For Restaurant to Another World the question's been raised in their forum a couple times the last six weeks or so. It's only the web version that doesn't work btw, in the app and via RSS it apparently works fine.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #446 on: 20 August 2017, 01:32:12 »
So have to get yet another app for my phone... bleh...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #447 on: 23 August 2017, 10:16:58 »
Anyone still following 4 Cut hero? I'm following it on Lezhin. Have read up to chapter 75 (Free releases). It is really still a hoot! XD, I love the author's take on tropes for video games and fantasy games.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #448 on: 23 August 2017, 16:42:44 »
Anyone still following 4 Cut hero? I'm following it on Lezhin. Have read up to chapter 75 (Free releases). It is really still a hoot! XD, I love the author's take on tropes for video games and fantasy games.
Better believe it, it's my favorite of all manga/webcomics out there.  It's so damn funny and still has strong backbone of a story there with all those tropes & games.  I love how the author likes to troll characters.

Like in this bit.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #449 on: 24 August 2017, 06:40:32 »
Volune 3 of the Goblin Slayer light novel released Tuesday and I finished it last night. Very much enjoying this story. It is provng that yu don't need to think up fancy names for your characters and still have an engaging story; we have Goblin Slayer, Priestess, Guild Girl, Cow Girl, Spearman, Female Knight, Dwarf Shaman, Witch, Elf Ranger, etc etc  ;D