Author Topic: The Gallitzin Gourmet  (Read 4235 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
The Gallitzin Gourmet
« on: 15 August 2017, 13:05:43 »
Greetings, and welcome once again to the Gallitzin Gourmet, the Inner Sphere's leading cooking show, where we give you the lowdown on how to prepare fantastic meals from the most exotic foods in known space. 

Today, we take on the challenge of the goji.  Goji are meter-long beetle-like herd insects native to the Combine world of Oshika, and have been raised as a source of meat since the 2300s.  While the meat has a foul odor (goji dung stench is reputed to be able to kill a dog at a hundred meters), the bugs' docility and ability to convert Oshika's poor soil and scrubby plant life into protein with remarkable efficiency has enabled the mining world's population to reach four billion during the Star League era.

Goji meat is typically given minimal processing (pureed into a slurry, cooked, and canned) and serves as a staple of the Unproductives' diet on Oshika.  The upper classes prefer the tastier and far less pungent meat from the native Oshika Ox, which (curiously) only entered local markets in the early 3000s.

While many of the Unproductives simply open a can and pour the glop into a bowl and eat the pungent goo with their fingers, we were able to find some better ideas by going to the source.  The Tesuo clan has been ranching goji for over seven hundred years, and have found ways to incorporate their love of Japanese traditional cooking with their livelihood.  Here are some of their favorite recipes:

Crunchy Goji Snack Bites

Ingredients:
2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups frozen goji meat (raw, unprocessed, cubed)
1 cup tempura batter
1 tsp smoked paprika
Tempura batter ingredients:
1 medium egg
½ cup cold water
½ cup plain flour
½ tsp baking soda

To make the batter beat the egg until smooth. Slowly add the cold water whilst beating. Add flour and baking soda and allow the mixture to sit (don’t worry if it is a bit lumpy). Using a saucepan or deep-fat fryer heat the oil to 190C. Thoroughly coat the goji meat in batter. Deep fry for about a minute or until the batter is browned. Allow the meat to drain on a paper towel. Cut the chunks in two lengthwise and sprinkle with paprika to serve.

We tried the recipe, and found that the deep frying process largely eliminated the pungent odor.  The meat was chewy, but the paprika brought out an inherent nutty flavor from the goji meat not generally discerned in the "canned glop" presentation.  We recommend pairing it with warm sake, with some tempura-battered vegetables and a dish of soy sauce for dipping.

Patriarch Hidaji Tesuo boasted of the goji's superiority: "In order to get one kilogram of ox meat, we have to raise the ox on huge areas of land and give them many more kilos of fodder before they are ready to be slaughtered.  Insects eat the things that humans don't and can be kept in much smaller spaces.  Most importantly, insects are very nutritionally balanced, have little fat and are the perfect food source."

When we visited, the centerpiece of the banquet served by the Tesuo clan was a meter-long goji, served in the shell.

Goji on the Half Shell

Ingredients:
1 whole adult goji (one meter in length)
1/2 kilogram clarified butter
1 kilogram sticky rice
1 head of lettuce

Cut open the goji shell, scoop out the meat and fry it with butter. Replace in the cooked meat in the shell to serve on top of salad.

The pungent smell remains, but the texture of the meat is close to that of tender fish.  We found our experience enhanced by pinching our nostrils shut as we ate, but the overall mouth-feel was not unpleasant.

That's all for today.  If you find yourself presented with an eye-watering heap of Kuritan bugmeat, now you have the tools to convert it into a mouth-watering cornucopia of flavor.

Next time, we'll return to the Suns for a culinary adventure on Chichibu.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: The Gallitzin Gourmet
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2017, 16:28:05 »
That...does not sound tasty.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2017, 16:56:29 »
This is delightful.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2017, 17:29:24 »
That...does not sound tasty.

you realize that the first one is basically Shrimp or crab tempura, just with a fictional crustacean?

and the 2nd one is just a variation of Lobster on the half shell, with a fictional crustacean?
« Last Edit: 15 August 2017, 17:31:46 by glitterboy2098 »

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2017, 20:04:08 »
Oysters, lobsters, escargots and even tuna were similarly derided and considered poor man's fare for quite some time.

Interesting idea, I want a Gordon Ramsay-inspired follow-up!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2017, 22:40:07 »
True story: Slaves in Massachusetts once protested that they had to eat lobster three times a week.
I have spoken.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2017, 03:40:24 »
The pungent nature of the meat and the animal had me thinking more giant cockroach than lobster.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2017, 04:05:05 »
The pungent nature of the meat and the animal had me thinking more giant cockroach than lobster.

As portrayed in "Fall Down Seven Times, Get Up Eight," goji are basically giant roaches, raised for meat.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
The Gallitzin Gourmet - Chichiban Whale Meat
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2017, 12:38:47 »
Greetings, epicureans, and welcome back to the Gallitzin Gourmet! 

We've returned from our sojourn to the Draconis Combine and are broadcasting to you from our LosTech kitchens here on Gallitzin. 

We couldn't leave Combine space, however, without stopping off for supplies on Chichibu.  A water-world, Chichibu's primary industry centers around ranching a native whale species for its meat and blubber.  While many other worlds in the Inner Sphere have whale-equivalent species, the quality of Chichiban whalemeat is a cut above.

Prior to our Chichiban stopover, we consulted with our friend, Burt Merkin, at Federated Fast Food, or as you probably known them, Triple-F, home of the WhaleBurger, about what cuts to seek out and how to transport them back to Gallitzin without damaging the flavor through freezer burn or other spoilage.

Merkin noted that while the whales from Chichibu have much richer meat and flavor than the species from Noatak, where Triple-F sources the majority of its whalemeat, the two breeds share many of the same characteristics of the Terran whales hunted and consumed by our distant ancestors in the pre-spaceflight era.

As fans of the Triple-F Burger well know, whale meat doesn't taste fishy, but has far more similarity to moose and reindeer, though with a less gamy taste and is more tender and juicy.  The prime cuts are from the belly and the flukes, where the meat is lower in fat and calories, and higher in protein than beef or pork.  The hue is slightly deeper than other red meats, with very little marbling.

Given our lengthy transit (alas, the Gallitzin Gourmet's budget won't cover a command circuit), we stored our Chichban whale meat in refrigerated cargo containers, hermetically sealed and flushed with an argon gas atmosphere, to prevent bacterial growth and oxidization.  Merkin assured us that, using this technique, non-frozen meat can retain its freshness for up to six months - making this process standard for Triple-F operations throughout the Federated Suns.

So, we're back on Gallitzin and our whale meat looks wonderful!  Let's get started!

First off, we want to try a gourmet version of the Triple-F WhaleBurger, using the Chichbu meat in place of the standard Noatak patty.

Gourmet Chichiban WhaleBurger:

2 slices of whole wheat bread
2 pounds ground whale meat
1 egg white
1 tablespoon grated onion
3/4 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Sauce:
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup light sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons capers, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon chopped parsley

Remaining Ingredients:
3 teaspoons canola oil
6 fresh baked ciabatta rolls lightly dusted with sea salt and shad seeds, and toasted
6 romaine lettuce leaves
6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato

Step 1
To prepare burgers, pulse bread in a food processor to coarse crumbs, about 4 pulses. Transfer to a bowl. Place 1 1/2 pounds whale meat into food processor; add egg white, onion, Old Bay, and pepper, and pulse until there is a mix of finely minced pieces and coarsely chopped pieces, about 7 pulses. Add mixture to breadcrumbs.

Step 2
Chop remaining 1/2 pound whalemeat into 1/2-inch pieces; add to breadcrumb-whalemeat mixture. Add 1/4 cup chopped parsley, and mix until combined. Shape mixture into 6 (1/3-cup) balls. To prepare sauce, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, capers, if desired, horseradish, and 1 teaspoon parsley. Reserve.

Step 3
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil begins to shimmer, about 1 minute. Place 3 whale balls in pan, flattening to 1/2-inch thickness. Reduce heat to medium; cook until edges turn pink, and burger looks golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over and cook 3 minutes or until done. Repeat with remaining oil and whale balls.

Step 4
Spread about 2 tablespoons sauce on each bun bottom. Top each with whale burger, lettuce leaf, and tomato slice. Cover with bun tops

The burgers turned out excellent!  Grinding the meat ensured that we avoided the rubbery texture that could result from trying to put a whole whalemeat cutlet on a bun.  If I had it to do again, I would have avoided the shad seeds on the bun - the distinctive taste at times seemed to overwhelm the more delicate flavor of our meat - certainly the aftertaste was all shad seed.  We can certainly understand why Beaufort's Cossacks mutinied when it couldn't get its quota of whaleburgers in 2970.  If we hadn't made enough for second helpings, I'd mutiny right now!

For our next entry, we'll try a preparation that lets the Chichiban flavor come through

Rasalhagian Whale Steak with Green Peas
One 2 lb joint of whale meat
4 deciliters wine (we recommend a dry Mesartim Red)
2 deciliters water
15 juniper berries
2 dessert spoons of black currant cordial, cream, cornflour.

Brown the meat on all sides in a stewpan, add the red wine, water and mashed juniper berries. Simmer under lid for about 30 minutes. Place a weight on the lid. Remove the meat and wrap it in aluminium foil while finishing making the gravy.

Gravy: Add the black currant cordial to the juices in the pan. Add cream to taste and thicken with cornflower. Cut the meat in thin slices and serve with blue Tikonov potatoes, green peas, sprouts and Gram gojo berries.

Fortunately, the cooking interval was enough for us to get the taste of shad seed out of our palates (swigs of Timbiqui Dark make an excellent cleanser), and we were able to attack our delicious smelling steaks with gusto.  The meat was tender and buttery, and had mild gamy tang which nicely complimented the fruit sauce and the side of sweet gojo.  The meat was very rich, and the following day we felt like we had a light, oily sheen on our faces. 

Thanks again to Burt Merkin at Triple-F for his whalemeat expertise!  If you can't get out to Chichibu yourself, drop by any of the thousands of Triple-F outlets across the Federated Suns and dig into their Sphere-famous WhaleBurger!

Join us next time, when we journey to New Avalon in search of the finest exotic treats from the very heart of Camelot!
« Last Edit: 18 August 2017, 20:15:58 by Mendrugo »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2017, 18:29:56 »
Dammit, I want a burger now, whale or not.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2017, 18:56:13 »
I have a character from Gallitzin. Maybe I should talk up his love of whale meat...

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
The Gallitzin Gourmet - Taste of Camelot
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2017, 00:30:53 »
Greetings, and welcome once again to the Gallitzin Gourmet, the Inner Sphere's leading cooking show, where we give you the lowdown on how to prepare fantastic meals from the most exotic foods in known space. 

Today, we're coming to you from New Avalon, beating heart of the Federated Suns.  While not traditionally renowned for its culinary contributions to the Inner Sphere (in fact, New Avalon cuisine was famously derided as "where ****** meets leeky and bland meets greasy" in Rance Lorton's holo-travelogue "Around the Sphere in Eighty Jumps"), the capital of the Federated Suns was initially colonized as an agricultural world, and the seminal event in its development as an independent interstellar power is still celebrated on Grain Rebellion Day.

Huge amounts of New Avalon's landmasses remain under cultivation, and New Avalon enjoys a surplus that allows it to feed its people and supply much of the food required to support nearby worlds.  New Avalon Wheat is a hybrid specially adapted to the local soil, and is flavorful, versatile, and nutritious.  Local species also find it delicious, forcing some farmers to resort to using AgroMechs as makeshift scarecrows to keep the ravenous grassbirds from devouring entire fields.  Growing alongside the wheat is the ubiquitous quillar - a sweet grain that can be flavor/texture adapted to substitute for a large number of Terran staples.  Ranching is a major industry, with large buffalope herds carpeting the semi-arid plains.  Here, too, local farmers make prolific use of CattleMaster and Herdsman AgroMechs to shepherd the beasts, and fend off attacks by native predators, such as sprinter killers and stalkers (tree-height spider-like predators with mouths on their stomachs).  In the polar regions, notable local fauna includes ice serpents and silver ice snake-weasels, though neither are a staple food animal.

While New Avalon imports gourmet foods from all over the Inner Sphere (reportedly even allocating scarce JumpShip cargo space to import white chocolate from Vorzel and cheeses from Nekkar during the Fourth Succession War, when many worlds faced severe rationing due to the reassignment of their regular trading vessels to the Capellan front), we'll be working to prepare a gourmet multi-course meal from foods native to New Avalon.

Amuse Bouche - Ice Serpent Tartare

To begin our feast, we tantalize our palettes with a taste of the wilds from the frigid New Scotland continent.  Raw meat from an ice serpent is served on a bed of avocado, and topped with crispy shallots, then drizzled with a salty quillar-paste dressing.  The meat has been defatted (ice serpents have a core of tough muscle within an outer layer of insulating blubber) and marinated with olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, wasabi, quillar sauce, hot red pepper sauce, salt, and pepper.  The chewy meat, therefore, is mostly there to provide texture, while the preponderance of flavor comes from the strong and zippy marinade.  We paired this with a glass of dry rosé.

Soup - Beer and Cheddar Soup

Our eyes watering and mouths burning from the fiery ice serpent marinade, we gladly tucked into our second course, a simple yet soothing beer and cheddar soup, with ingredients sourced from the Rostock continent's dairies and breweries (a fine Rostock "Red Fox" Amber Ale).

Entree - Whole Roast Grassbird

The scourge of the wheatfields, the New Avalon grassbird is delectable when roasted whole, with a side of baby carrots and new potatoes, drizzled with a lemon mustard sauce.  We paired this course with an excellent, full-bodied chardonnay.

Salad - New Avalon Wheat Berry Salad

Showcasing the centerpiece of New Avalon's agricultural bounty, this grain salad has a refreshing citrus bite and a pleasing texture.  It may have been the wine talking, but we could swear we saw one of the grassbird carcasses start to edge towards the grain on its own.  Perhaps the jokes about using surplus anti-missile systems out in the fields to keep the grassbirds away isn't just hyperbole.  We accompanied the salad with glasses of a lively, limey Albariño.

Main Course - Buffalope Prime Rib with Quillar Balsamic Glaze

This dish made a handsome presentation - very red, with little marbling (due to the nature of buffalope meat).  The meat was very tender and flavorful, and well complimented by the citrus-infused quillar glaze.  We descended on it like a starving New Avalon stalker.  It paired well with a spicy red zinfandel from the New Hebrides island chain. 

Cheese - Buffalope Mozzarella

We transitioned from the main course to the dessert with a creamy interlude of buffalope mozzarella, balled and served in a pyramid under a marinade of olive oil, garlic, and herbs.  We paired this course with a mild sauvignon blanc.

Dessert - Quillar Panna Cotta

The panna cotta was a delightful, sweet and creamy finish to our meal, demonstrating once again the astounding versatility of the quillar.  We complimented it with a top quality muscat.  Cheekily, both crystal dessert plates featured an etching of Gallitzin - recalling the custom plateware used to served cake at First Prince Hanse Davion's wedding on Terra.  We quickly looked around to make sure no Maskirovka operatives were closing in to seize ours as military intelligence.

This meal was a product of the kitchen of master chef Jerome Winthrop at the five star New Avalon City eatery "Le quillar doré."  For those of you not able to secure a seating at his table (he is presently booked three years in advance), we present the recipes for you to try at home below. 

Join us next time for another edition of "The Gustation Wars," where we pit top chefs from each of the Successor States against each other to achieve the title of "First Lord of the Kitchen."

Amuse Bouche - Ice Serpent Tartare

Ingredients

3 3/4 pounds very fresh defatted ice serpent muscle meat
1 1/4 cups olive oil
5 limes, zest grated
1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
2 1/2 teaspoons wasabi powder
2 1/2 tablespoons liquid quillar sauce
2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups minced scallions, white and green parts (12 scallions)
3 1/4 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
5 ripe Rostock avocados
1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, optional

Cut the ice serpent into 1/4-inch dice and place it in a very large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, wasabi, quillar sauce, hot red pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Pour over the ice serpent, add the scallions and jalapeno, and mix well. Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed, and peel. Cut the avocados into 1/4-inch dice. Carefully mix the avocado into the tuna mixture. Add the toasted sesame seeds, if using, and season to taste. Allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour for the flavors to blend. Serve on crackers.

Soup - Beer and Cheddar Soup

Ingredients

1/2 pound piece of slab bacon, sliced 1/3 inch thick and cut into 1/3-inch dice
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large jalapeño, seeded and chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
One 12-ounce bottle "Red Fox" Ale
About 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound sharp yellow cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Garlic-rubbed toasts, for serving

Instructions

In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over moderate heat until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a bowl. Add the celery, onion, jalapeño, garlic and thyme to the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 8 minutes. Add half of the beer and cook until reduced by half, 5 minutes. Add 2 1/4 cups of chicken broth and bring to a simmer.

In a small skillet, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Whisk this roux into the soup until incorporated and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 8 minutes. Add the heavy cream, cheddar cheeses and the remaining beer and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the bacon and season with salt and pepper. Add a few tablespoons of broth if the soup is too thick. Serve the soup with garlic toasts.

Entree - Whole Roast Grassbird

INGREDIENTS

12 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
1 (10-inch) round or oval sourdough loaf (1 1/2 lb), crust discarded
9 fresh porcini (cèpes; 3/4 lb), trimmed
3 (1-lb) grassbirds
3 large sprigs fresh thyme
3 tablespoons garlic confit purée garlic confit purée
6 tablespoons strained duck fat (from garlic confit purée )
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
Special equipment: kitchen string

PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Bring 2 cups water, garlic, and 1 teaspoon sea salt to a boil, then drain in a colander. Blanch garlic in same manner 2 more times.

Cut bread into 1/4-inch-thick sticks and toast on a baking sheet in middle of oven until pale golden, about 6 minutes. Leave oven on.

Peel stems of porcini with a sharp small knife just until white flesh is exposed, then quarter mushrooms lengthwise.

Pat grassbirds dry and season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Put a sprig of thyme in cavity of each grassbird and divide garlic confit among cavities. Tie legs of grassbirds together with kitchen string and fold wings back.

Heat 2 tablespoons duck fat in a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown grassbirds in 2 batches, turning, about 5 minutes, transferring to a plate and reserving skillet.

Add 1 1/2 more tablespoons duck fat to skillet and sauté porcini in 2 batches over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes (add another 1 1/2 tablespoons duck fat to skillet for second batch). Stir in blanched garlic, toasted bread, and salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.

Put a 13- by 9-inch metal baking pan on bottom rack of oven (to catch drips) and arrange grassbirds, breast sides up, in a small circle (without touching) on middle rack of oven directly above baking pan. Roast grassbirds, carefully basting once with remaining tablespoon duck fat, 15 minutes. Replace baking pan with skillet of bread salad, positioning it directly under birds. Roast grassbirds and bread salad until an instant-read thermometer inserted in fleshy part of a thigh (avoid bone) registers 155°F for medium meat and mushrooms in bread salad are tender, about 5 minutes. (If mushrooms are not tender, roast bread salad 5 to 8 minutes more.) Transfer grassbirds to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes, then halve lengthwise with poultry shears or a sharp knife.

Toss bread salad with parsley and lemon juice and serve with squabs.

Salad - New Avalon Wheat Berry Salad

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups hard New Avalon wheat berries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup tart dried cherries, chopped
1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool. Toast the walnuts in a medium dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the New Avalon wheat berries, walnuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Main Course - Buffalope Prime Rib with Quillar Balsamic Glaze

INGREDIENTS

1 (7- to 8-lb) bone-in buffalope prime rib roast or bone-in beef prime rib roast (sometimes called standing rib roast; 3 or 4 ribs), brought to room temperature (allow 1 hour)
4 1/2 to 5 cups water
Quillar balsamic glaze

For jus
2/3 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup Madeira (preferably Sercial)
1 1/2 cups beef broth
Special equipment: a V-rack for roasting; a meat or instant-read thermometer

PREPARATION

Cook roast:

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Generously season buffalope with salt and pepper. Roast buffalope, fat side up, on V-rack in a 17- by 12- by 2-inch flameproof roasting pan in middle of oven 15 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and add 1/2 cup water to roasting pan, then continue to roast meat 30 minutes more. Brush meat with some of glaze and add 1/2 cup water to pan, then continue to roast, brushing with glaze and adding 1/2 cup water to pan every 15 minutes, until thermometer inserted into center of roast (do not touch bone) registers 125°F, 2 to 2 1/4 hours more (115°F for beef, 1 3/4 to 2 hours more). Transfer meat to a large platter and let stand, uncovered, 25 minutes. (Meat will continue to cook as it stands, reaching about 135°F for medium-rare buffalope.)

Make jus while meat stands:

Straddle roasting pan across 2 burners, then add red wine and Madeira and deglaze pan by boiling over moderately high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 2 minutes. Add broth and boil until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups, about 3 minutes.

Stir in any buffalope or beef juices accumulated on platter and season jus with salt, if necessary. Pour jus through a fine-mesh sieve into a gravy boat and keep warm, covered.

Carve roast and serve with jus.

Cheese - Buffalope Mozzarella

3/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 ounces ciliegini buffalope mozzarella (bite size mozzarella balls made from buffalope milk)

INSTRUCTIONS

In a bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, basil, oregano, kosher salt and crushed red pepper. Pour over mozzarella. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve.

Dessert - Quillar Panna Cotta

Ingredients

1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup sugar
2 ears of fresh quillar, kernels cut off and reserved, cobs cut into 4 pieces each
2 cups plus 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
3 tablespoons water
2 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup purchased dulce de leche or caramel sauce

SPECIAL EQUIPMENT

6 3/4-cup ramekins or custard cups

Preparation

Bring milk and sugar to simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add quillar kernels. Simmer until quillar is tender, about 5 minutes. Strain milk into large saucepan; add 2 cups cream, coarse salt, and quillar cobs. Bring to simmer. Cover; remove from heat. Steep 30 minutes. Transfer quillar to small bowl. Cover; chill.

Meanwhile, place 3 tablespoons water in small cup. Sprinkle gelatin over. Let stand until gelatin softens, at least 15 minutes.
Remove cobs from cream mixture; discard cobs. Bring cream mixture to simmer. Remove from heat. Add softened gelatin; stir to dissolve. Divide cream mixture among six 3/4-cup ramekins or custard cups. Cover and refrigerate until set, at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.

Whisk dulce de leche and 3 tablespoons cream in small bowl to blend. Spoon some sauce over each panna cotta. Sprinkle a few quillar kernels over each dessert (reserve remaining quillar for another use) and serve.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2017, 09:03:24 by Mendrugo »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2017, 00:29:30 »
And now I'm hungry again. ;D

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #13 on: 26 August 2017, 02:28:08 »
 [drool]

Tagging for the yums
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #14 on: 26 August 2017, 05:23:57 »
More coming soon - the ten-day conference I'm at in Ho Chi Minh City wraps up in a few more hours.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #15 on: 30 August 2017, 22:12:46 »
More coming soon - the ten-day conference I'm at in Ho Chi Minh City wraps up in a few more hours.

If you were in the area, you should have dropped in!

Well, closer to Down Under than most forumites, anyway ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"