Author Topic: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4  (Read 219846 times)

Baktru

• Recruit
Re: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4
« Reply #870 on: 31 December 2017, 10:14:17 »
I did go in with as much spares as I could buy without running out of money before reaching the contract site.  It wasn't enough by a longshot.

It's a Recon Raid but that still means very low availability of parts...  Getting a few "Parts" bonuses and buying and stripping a few vehicles helped a lot though.  At least the mechs I do have are in top shape again.

Oh well.  Down to eight functional mechs from the initial 12 and contract score at -6.  We didn't even lose all that often, but the -1 penalty every time an allied bot is blown up hurts...  Or deploying in the middle of heavy woods on a recon raid in a Tornado in Pitch Black...  My mechs couldn't move!

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #871 on: 31 December 2017, 12:12:25 »
 Get your tactics skill up on your Lance commanders, you can then reroll conditions. Unless I have jumpers, I reuse to fight pitch black because of that low movement. Also, try to avoid any contract, unless you reroll command rights, that is House Command, you want Liasion or Independent. That way YOU control the allied unit and can keep it from getting killed.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #872 on: 02 January 2018, 11:05:36 »
Can someone help me with what effect a contract breach has on your unit rating?

I had a contract where I was almost completely wiped out within 2 months of starting a 6 month contract, so instead of just contract failing I thought it would be more accurate to record it as a contract breach, as I had essentially just walked away from it. I'm thinking this has had a lasting severe impact on my unit rating because despite having 7 successful contracts since, a decent commander, plenty of money and 2-3 IS2 mechs, I can't get my unit rating above a C, which I think is having significant impact on my ability to purchase equipment to repair my IS2's.

Does it permanently limit me?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #873 on: 02 January 2018, 11:50:30 »
If you're using field manual mercenaries: revised ("FMM:R"), then each contract breach hits your dragoons rating for -25 points. So you need 5 successful contracts just to compensate for that. You need your dragoons rating to be at 85 for a B-rating. That takes some grinding even without a contract breach.

The other things that impact your equipment purchasing ability are the contract that you're on, or your logistics admin's skill level. If you can get them up to Veteran or Elite, that'll help.

Baktru

• Recruit
« Reply #874 on: 03 January 2018, 15:58:01 »
Heh I had to start over as the previous company fell apart at the retirement roll after that failed mission...

So I start over, get a pretty decent starting company (Yes I use the standard setup for AtB...)

First mission?  Star League Cache...  Luckily the Random Mechwarrior I rolled to do it was one of my 2 Elite Mechwarriors.

The SL Mech is an EXT-4D, I have an elite BJ-1.  We're up against pretty much regular Mechwarriors with..  CRB-20, WVR-6R, WVR-6R and... we'll win!!  :D :)) :o

Jeez AtB is great fun once you get used to it...  (PS..  Total noob at Battletech until 2-3 months ago..)

Baktru

• Recruit
« Reply #875 on: 03 January 2018, 16:08:54 »
Forgot to include my question in my enthusiasm...

We killed one Wolverine and the Crab...  The other WVR fled though...  I still win right? 

Baktru

• Recruit
« Reply #876 on: 03 January 2018, 16:23:21 »
And I take it I need to resolve the swap for the Star League mech manually?  It just ended up in my inventory...

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #877 on: 03 January 2018, 18:41:32 »
Forgot to include my question in my enthusiasm...

We killed one Wolverine and the Crab...  The other WVR fled though...  I still win right?

If that Wolverine fled because of the Forced Withdrawal Rules, i.e. it was crippled, then yes.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Baktru

• Recruit
« Reply #878 on: 19 January 2018, 18:28:10 »
Heh I started over again.  Once more...

Still tweaking how I want my ruleset to be, close to the original AtB, but just a tad easier as I'm really not that good at this.  (But I'm learning).

New company has an Elite in a WTH-1, that's nice!  And, rolling on Xotl's tables...  Four, i kid you not, 4 Shadowhawks. 

Oh well at least we won our first battle against a Hetzer, a Von Luckner, a Warhammer and an Archer.  We did lose our one custom mech though.  Poor thing took two AC/20s to the CT from the Luckner and the Hetzer...

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #879 on: 06 February 2018, 08:32:08 »
Interesting thing is that a lot of Mechs that are otherwise questionable tend to be pretty solid for campaign use when you consider ammo counts and parts availability.  The Shadow Hawk is one of those.
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #880 on: 06 February 2018, 09:52:59 »
I still prefer the SHD-2K variant. Ditch the useless AC/5 in favor of a PPC.

Only problem with that one is that it has a hard time up close and personal.

Taron Storm

• Warrant Officer
  • Founding Member of Chaos Inc Merc Brigade
« Reply #881 on: 06 February 2018, 14:36:44 »
When running a fourth war campaign, I just about always faced griffins, shads,  wolverines, and dervishes. I collected the griffins and shads, stripped the others. Fast way to make a medium battalion.
As for the -2k, just strip out the launcher and replace with medium lasers.

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #882 on: 07 February 2018, 16:01:42 »
Or just rip out all the weapons and extra heat sinks and give it an AC/20.  One-trick pony, but what a trick!

Want to get really wacky?  Go play with the SHD-2D.  Without changing the armor layout...
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #883 on: 20 February 2018, 07:24:19 »
I'm looking again at Chase (Attacker) scenario deployments.  I realize there's already canon rules for this, but it seems to me it makes more sense to do it this way:

- Player forces deploy at Start of Game
- Enemy units that share the fastest speed deploy Before Round 1

This means the player can deploy their units without interference from the bot's deployment - who is chasing the player in this case - but they still effectively deploy at the "start of the game."

- Remaining bot units deploy at Turn (-1 MP for every MP slower than the first deployed units)

Now maybe this makes it a bit too easy for the player to escape, in which case it might make more sense to let the bot deploy everything of 6+ walk/cruise MP at Before Round 1.  But the idea of everything - including the player's unit - being so strung out just strikes me as odd.  Yes, it simulates that it's been a running battle, but then in that case, you'd think there should also be pre-existing damage.  In which case we're straying into extraneous setup.

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #884 on: 20 February 2018, 10:34:06 »
You'll be happy to know that there have been some internal discussions regarding that and we've also come to the conclusion that the "attacker" should deploy together. We're still testing out various ideas re: "defender" deployment.

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #885 on: 22 February 2018, 15:42:42 »
How is there still no tool for generating a new unit in mekHQ? o.O

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #886 on: 22 February 2018, 16:22:21 »
What would you suggest such a tool include?  There is a great variety of "starting units" in size, function, and campaign purpose.  Start thinking about it, and it becomes a really, really big thing to code.  Not that that would stop this community, but has anyone even started trying to define what something like that would entail?

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #887 on: 22 February 2018, 17:34:17 »
Coding something to go with the AtB ruleset would reign it in, then if someone creates a new ruleset for it to work from or conform to then that could be used. For example "AtB Company Start, AtB Battalion Start, Taharqa Company Start", then using the user selected faction and year would define the pool it can draw from. That said I decided to have a bit of "fun" to simplify generating units for myself, I have some of the old tools people made but I use Libre these days so....

Unit Generation Tool
Might flesh it out some more with the actual skills for each person rolled and yes I tweaked the unit generation rules slightly, it's more for providing a basic framework. If anyone has some suggestions free to mention them.

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #888 on: 23 February 2018, 02:17:11 »
Probably just a reminder as part of the setup process would be enough.

"Reminder: You need to choose starting funds in 'GM Mode' and buy starting personnel.  The marketplaces can be used to fill the rest of your roster from this point onwards.  20M C-Bills gives an adequate amount for a 3025 Company-sized unit."

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #889 on: 23 February 2018, 08:42:20 »
I actually never pay for my initial units.  I assume the company already had the necessary resources to acquire whatever units with which it starts a campaign, and take 10% of the total net worth of units as the starting capital.  Which I means I also have to immediately take out a loan.

This is the way Makinus had originally set up the rules, so that any given merc unit starting out would be behind the 8-ball at least a little bit.  Now, of course, there's no point in playing if you aren't enjoying yourself.  I enjoy that scenario.

But if you ask me, especially if you play with era modifiers, maintenance will put you in dire straits quickly enough, however you play it.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #890 on: 27 February 2018, 06:04:43 »
Coding something to go with the AtB ruleset would reign it in, then if someone creates a new ruleset for it to work from or conform to then that could be used. For example "AtB Company Start, AtB Battalion Start, Taharqa Company Start", then using the user selected faction and year would define the pool it can draw from. That said I decided to have a bit of "fun" to simplify generating units for myself, I have some of the old tools people made but I use Libre these days so....

Unit Generation Tool
Might flesh it out some more with the actual skills for each person rolled and yes I tweaked the unit generation rules slightly, it's more for providing a basic framework. If anyone has some suggestions free to mention them.

Hey, this was great, been meaning to do something similar myself for a while. I've added some further columns to help give each generated person some personality traits (background, wealth, confidence, likeability, IQ, marital status), just to help build a sense of attachment I was lacking with my pilots. I plan to run the personality part of it with each new pilot I hire too.

Feel free to alter as desired. (I know IQ is a crap measure, but it avoids non PC language/arguments).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UJAfM7XQTTxC_13meAB8IIeF02BFFbQd

(is it just me or is the setting up a new company one of the most fun parts :D )

EDIT: Slightly edited to make it easier to paste the results straight into the biography of characters.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 08:43:11 by MoleMan »

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #891 on: 27 February 2018, 07:14:49 »
Also, the 'Show GM tools' in the 'Manage campaign' dropdown at the top in HQ can generate mechs (RAT roller) according to the RAT's of the faction in question. I like that.

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #892 on: 27 February 2018, 19:16:44 »
Creating a new company is one of the best things, yes. And I like to roll my dice personally. :D

The personality additions sound nice though.

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #893 on: 27 February 2018, 20:28:54 »
Feel free to alter as desired. (I know IQ is a crap measure, but it avoids non PC language/arguments).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UJAfM7XQTTxC_13meAB8IIeF02BFFbQd

(is it just me or is the setting up a new company one of the most fun parts :D )

EDIT: Slightly edited to make it easier to paste the results straight into the biography of characters.

Not bad, modified it some more based on your alterations and expanded the scale of some of the options. Though not too sure about the weighting of the results just yet (for example Terran shows up too much for my liking so I may weight it up to d100).
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 20:31:12 by Battleclad »

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #894 on: 28 February 2018, 07:36:57 »
Very nice, I would increase the chances of rolling 'regular' houses by a significant amount if you did, lots of these exotic options coming up when i feel the vast majority should be 'boring' choices, otherwise its just overkill. If everyone is special, no-one is special.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 11:04:13 by MoleMan »

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #895 on: 28 February 2018, 14:24:18 »
Agreed, I've shifted the weighting up to 100 for Origin and shifted Social Background up to 120. Which looks promising for now, also fixed an error with the Tech Levels that got introduced.

v1.11
« Last Edit: 28 February 2018, 14:28:34 by Battleclad »

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #896 on: 28 February 2018, 18:13:41 »
Which looks promising for now, also fixed an error with the Tech Levels that got introduced.

Same thing has happened with mech weight class

Battleclad

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #897 on: 28 February 2018, 18:27:02 »
Fixed

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #898 on: 04 March 2018, 21:15:26 »
Would any developers who listen in on this thread tell me if it's possible to edit the technology availability for an AtB campaign so that I could, for example, have a 3025 era that has all the technology that was "recovered" later than 3025 but otherwise could very well have been available for use?  Say, for example, I want Rifle Cannons and Rocket Launchers to be available in this time frame.

I realize I'm talking about messing with the inner workings of MHQ here, but is there a data file or library I could edit simply to change when certain technology is available?

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #899 on: 05 March 2018, 09:26:11 »
Unfortunately, all of the date availability stuff is done within the code (yeah, I know).

You can get around most of these restrictions by setting tech level to experimental/unofficial and allow purchasing of extinct parts?