Author Topic: Tell me about the Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu)  (Read 8843 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Tell me about the Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu)
« on: 14 July 2015, 08:51:45 »
I have never really made use of the Arctic Cheetah, but in my canvassing of older designs that I haven't really used, it caught my eye, perhaps because the Mechwarrior Online art for it made it look a lot cooler than other art of it prior to that. At any rate I'm trying to give it a fresh appraisal, good and bad.

Any thoughts on the Arctic Cheetah? (Hankyu)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Tell me about the Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu)
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2015, 08:57:58 »
Do you like light Mechs that are both fast and well-armed? You'll love the Hankyu. It's that simple. Some great configs (that Prime is a beast), it's just simply better in most respects than what most contemporary Clan light Mechs are. I'd rank it with the Hellion- and that's no small feat. It's a design that understands that a small Mech just is better off with several small weapons rather than trying to make a heavier but less efficient weapon work here. That's not to say that never works, of course- the Solitaire comes to mind- but the Clans pack great punch into some of their lighter weapon systems like the ER medium laser or half-weight LRM racks. The Hankyu, in most versions, keeps that in mind and loads up on small but powerful weapons rather than something big- and combined with its speed, it makes for a surprisingly tough enemy. It really is one of the games' unsung heroes.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2015, 10:17:39 »
I've always liked the Hankyu. XL engine with Ferro-Fibrous and Endo Steel. Fast enough that you can chase alot of things down. Some interesting configuration choices that let you do a little bit of everything.

There are only two issues. 6 fixed jump jets. On an Omni its kind of annoying, but my guess is they didn't want to make it too good since it already had an XL engine, Endo Steel and Ferro-Fibrous to save weight. The jump jets are helpful,  but they also would add 33% to the Pod Space if they weren't fixed.

The fixed jump jets kind of lead into the other issue. While the design has Ferro-Fibrous armor, getting open pod space that comprises nearly 33% of the `Mech means you're skimping on armor. Its only carrying about 75-80% of its armor load. And while that normally wouldn't be too much of an issue, on every location a Clan LPL will go internal. Heck, on every location except for the head, a Inner Sphere LPL will go internal. So the armor amount (and placement) makes it a bit more fragile than things would suggest.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2015, 11:40:58 »
I'm not a fan, mainly due to the armor and it's a design none of my chosen Clan factions use much I guess.  I've used it and done alright, but it's just not something I return too, unlike the Hellion/Tiburon/Phantom/Ice Ferret  :D

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2015, 15:58:53 »
How does the armor compare to other mechs of the same or similar weight?

Wondering how singularly bad of an issue this is, or if its typical, especially of the similar Clan frontline machines.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2015, 16:12:50 »

Wondering how singularly bad of an issue this is, or if its typical, especially of the similar Clan frontline machines.

It's a light Mech on a battlefield of the 3050s/60s. Hit it hard, and it goes away just as fast as its contemporaries. Just how it is at that size. That said, I do find they for some reason last longer than something like a Fire Falcon or even an Adder will- maybe not better armor enough to really crow about it, but it's something anyway. Blow sections off, and it kind of stares at you like you're annoying. No idea why that happens in my games- with an XL, ammo in most configs, and being small, it should die easily.

Oh- and configs always have a flamer. Not hard-fixed like the one on the Adder, but it just always has one somewhere. I dig that. Classy stuff.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2015, 19:09:39 »
Any thoughts on the Arctic Cheetah? (Hankyu)
Hands down my Fav clan Light-Omni. 
Its the best at Recon to me, so that makes it the best Light, IMHO.
My only complaint is the 6 fixed JJ.  Make it 0 or 8 for Pete's sake, I say.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2015, 19:12:32 »
No idea why that happens in my games- with an XL, ammo in most configs, and being small, it should die easily.
Probably because its more mobile than any other Light short of the Firemoth.
8-12-6 is going to get you into some fairly good cover IMHO.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2015, 19:40:37 »
Probably because its more mobile than any other Light short of the Firemoth.
8-12-6 is going to get you into some fairly good cover IMHO.

No, really, even when they get hit, it seems like they just don't die. It's bizarre- it shouldn't be this durable, but I've watched Hankyus walk away (well, hobble) from fights that would have put down even a Cougar- hell, even mediums like the Ice Ferret. It just... inexplicably survives. It's like trying to kill a Kingfisher- good luck killing it.

Ever have one of those inflatable bobo-clowns as a kid? It feels like fighting one of those. Punch it all you want, it just pops back up in your face laughing.

+Crow T. Robot+

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2015, 20:23:54 »

It's really the most durable thing you're going to see in Clan formations with that kind of mobility short of the Dragonfly.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2015, 21:00:02 »

Marginally more than the Pack Hunter (30 tons/64 points), Snow Fox (20 tons/73 points), Commando IIC (25 tons/72 points) Piranha (20 tons/64 points), marginally less than the Solitaire(25 tons/86 points), Mandrill (30 tons/96 points), or Urbanmech IIC (30 tons/96 points) exactly the same as the Fire Falcon (25 tons), the Hellion (30 tons/105 points) makes it look sick.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2015, 21:05:48 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2015, 21:04:38 »
Do you like light Mechs that are both fast and well-armed? You'll love the Hankyu. It's that simple. Some great configs (that Prime is a beast), it's just simply better in most respects than what most contemporary Clan light Mechs are. I'd rank it with the Hellion- and that's no small feat. It's a design that understands that a small Mech just is better off with several small weapons rather than trying to make a heavier but less efficient weapon work here. That's not to say that never works, of course- the Solitaire comes to mind- but the Clans pack great punch into some of their lighter weapon systems like the ER medium laser or half-weight LRM racks. The Hankyu, in most versions, keeps that in mind and loads up on small but powerful weapons rather than something big- and combined with its speed, it makes for a surprisingly tough enemy. It really is one of the games' unsung heroes.

Hankyu very much for your insight, JadeHellbringer. Been waiting tell that joke forever....

I'm kinda surprised that the Hankyu is still available, I don't think the Nova Cats/Clan Diamond Shark-Sea Fox is making them still...i think.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2015, 21:37:26 »
No longer being manufactured doesn't automatically mean no longer available.  There have been numerous mechs that were out of production by the time their TRO appearance occurred but were still around due to remaining stockpiles.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2015, 22:20:57 »
The Cats used to have a plant for it on Coudoux circa 3079, no clue if it's still there in the current era though.

It's a nice little machine that I've never used too much. Needing three ER Medium hits to destroy any vital locations is nice, but the armor distribution of the lighter Fire Falcon remains better in my eyes. The modern "F" is one that I've tried a few times and it's a pretty solid upgrade of the original Prime even if its electronics package is weaker.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 14 July 2015, 22:22:26 »
Marginally more than the Pack Hunter (30 tons/64 points), Snow Fox (20 tons/73 points), Commando IIC (25 tons/72 points) Piranha (20 tons/64 points), marginally less than the Solitaire(25 tons/86 points), Mandrill (30 tons/96 points), or Urbanmech IIC (30 tons/96 points) exactly the same as the Fire Falcon (25 tons), the Hellion (30 tons/105 points) makes it look sick.

You missed the most important one........ Exact Same as the Kit Fox (30 Ton Omni) at 77 Points = 73% of Max.
Moving 2 MP faster & having 6 JJ & still the same armor isn't so bad.  True, it is quite a bit less pod space.

Over all, when you look at the classic Trio of Speed, Armor, Guns.........
- Speed = 8/12/6  (2nd Most Mobile Light Omni)  (9 Tons of Engine & JJ's = 30%)
- Armor = 77Pts  (73% of Max 105)
- Guns/Pods = 9.5 Tons, nearly 1/3 of the Mech.   (31.67%)

I'd say its a fairly well balanced machine really.  Its not perfect, but its pretty solid IMHO.

Could it be better?
Sure.
We could scrap the Fixed JJ's  (3 Tons)
1.5 Tons takes you to Max Armor & the other 1.5 Tons goes to Pod Space.
So you'd have to rearrange configs to either gain or loose some gear based on whether you gave it 0 JJs or 8 JJ's for that config.

But over all,  I favorite among lights for doing Recon work, it and the Mist Lynx work well together for that mission.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 15 July 2015, 06:53:02 »
The Cats used to have a plant for it on Coudoux circa 3079, no clue if it's still there in the current era though.

It's a nice little machine that I've never used too much. Needing three ER Medium hits to destroy any vital locations is nice, but the armor distribution of the lighter Fire Falcon remains better in my eyes. The modern "F" is one that I've tried a few times and it's a pretty solid upgrade of the original Prime even if its electronics package is weaker.
The Second Combine-Dominion War did a serious number to all the Cat's manufacturing sites.
However, Coudoux  was not one of the worlds litterly razed if not captured by the marauding Ghost Bears when they got tricked into invading Irece Prefecture.
So there maybe some hope for the Hankyu
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 15 July 2015, 08:35:43 »
I feel like the Ghost Bears would like it. Arctic name aside, they like fast moving weapons platforms (think of the Executioner). No canon reason to think they like the Arctic Cheetah, I just feel like I could have seen them adopt the machine as a Clan crowd pleaser. It's pretty fast, making it useful as an elemental carrier or recon mech, roles traditionally filled by the Fire Moth and Viper respectively.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #17 on: 16 July 2015, 11:24:40 »
The Hellion makes every other light in the game look sick.  The Hellion is to its class what the Stormcrow and Timberwolf are tho theirs.

That said, it's about as close as you get with a clan light to the Hellion. 

To the patient go the spoils

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 16 July 2015, 15:19:31 »
Looking to the Tiburon and Hellion . . . is 7/11 or 8/12 better for a Clan light?  Does 3140s make a difference in that answer when we start looking at XL Gyros and XXL Engines?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 16 July 2015, 21:07:32 »
Looking to the Tiburon and Hellion . . . is 7/11 or 8/12 better for a Clan light?  Does 3140s make a difference in that answer when we start looking at XL Gyros and XXL Engines?

I tend to say Odd #'s if you have JJ's,  Even #'s if you don't & or if you have MASC.

So 7-11-7 or 8-12-0 or 8-16-0 are my go to speeds.

No difference in the 3140's either since I almost never use either of those technologies.

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: 19 July 2015, 17:37:56 »
It seems that a lot of people missed the fact that the Arctic Cheetah was meant as a replacement for the Mist Lynx. Bigger, faster, tougher, better armed. This is why it still jumps 6 rather than the maximum. Besides, scouts only really need to jump to clear obstacles anyway. It's also why the Primary is set up the way it is. Basically a refined and upgraded Mist Lynx Prime. Same LRMs with more ammunition, better mid-range weapons in the pair of ER Mediums and more flexible anti-personnel weapon in the Flamer. It even goes the distance and enhances the electronics suite allowing it to jam the enemy, create ghost targets and call in hyper-accurate artillery strikes.

As for the design itself, it's probably my favorite Light OmniMechs outside of the stupidly broken Hellion. Best of all, none of the canon variants suck.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #21 on: 19 July 2015, 18:53:07 »
Think the Hellion is bad?  Have you seen the Gambit or Tiburon?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Rage

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 19 July 2015, 19:00:40 »
Think the Hellion is bad?  Have you seen the Gambit or Tiburon?

Yes to both. Nothing overly impressive from either.

Register