Author Topic: Another Mech of the week! EMP-XX Emperor (More!? YOU WANT MORE!?)  (Read 20217 times)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Re: Another Mech of the week! EMP-XX Emperor (More!? YOU WANT MORE!?)
« Reply #30 on: 12 April 2016, 07:14:50 »
Holy hell...I think I wrote this! At least the original, if it's been changed. That was like a decade ago.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, not these specific words, but the original TRO. I've long lamented the fact that I did a writeup for a Clan I didn't actually pay much attention to. It'd be rad as hell if something cool ended up coming of it.
I'm glad you spoke up. I tried looking up the nickname they had in RS:UM, but I didn't find it on here.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
« Reply #31 on: 12 April 2016, 19:38:02 »
I'm glad you spoke up. I tried looking up the nickname they had in RS:UM, but I didn't find it on here.

Yeah, I was bouncing between nicknames back then. Settled on Diplominator a little after RS:UM, much to my chagrin.

Thanks for using Nerran!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 06 September 2017, 21:55:14 »
****** I love the Scorps. I swear, I'm buying this product the moment it drops.

Same! Do we think we will see the primitive emperor get a mini? I like that art much better!

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 08 September 2017, 02:04:54 »
I'd help fan fund it too.

Same! Do we think we will see the primitive emperor get a mini? I like that art much better!

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 08 September 2017, 04:29:05 »
 [drool]

THUD

• Master Sergeant
Re: Another Mech of the week! EM-XX Emperor (More!? YOU WANT MORE!?)
« Reply #35 on: 08 September 2017, 10:27:41 »
I might be in the minority here, but I really like the EMP-6M. I've found that it's a great unit to match up with the other legions of Light Gauss/ER Large Laser FWL assault 'Mechs. Its ability to overheat and charge up that TSM on a dime makes it a real menace and a very interesting bodyguard.

I thought I was the only person who loved LGRs. Every time I mention them people pile on about how they suck. Maybe we can form a support group?   [blank]

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Another Mech of the week! EM-XX Emperor (More!? YOU WANT MORE!?)
« Reply #36 on: 08 September 2017, 18:53:56 »
I thought I was the only person who loved LGRs. Every time I mention them people pile on about how they suck. Maybe we can form a support group?   [blank]
Not going to join a support group, but I agree the LGR is way underrated. An AC/5 it isn't! While it's not as good as the standard GR the extra range and lower weight does make it quite a decent gun.

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 08 September 2017, 23:56:08 »
I like LGRs too. They make fun refits for old-tech 'Mechs or Vehicles with AC/10s if you're needing fire support. I rather like a CN9-A using that refit in a pinch. Only reason I don't actually use them is because I don't play FWL or WOB and nobody else really uses it.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 03 December 2021, 23:39:54 »
Holy hell...I think I wrote this! At least the original, if it's been changed. That was like a decade ago.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, not these specific words, but the original TRO. I've long lamented the fact that I did a writeup for a Clan I didn't actually pay much attention to. It'd be rad as hell if something cool ended up coming of it.

I hope you read the Eridani Light Horse Chronicles story "No Dust, No Wear," then (available on the amazon kindle store and in the BattleShop)

tiny spoiler: your boy appears by page 2  8)  :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 04 December 2021, 16:08:31 »
Spent my drive home yesterday pondering if the Emperor 5A would have been 'good' to be more common and around in the 3SW era.  DPS barely above a medium mech, slow, well armored & sinked, but it has a bit more mobility with the JJ.  I mean for PCs, it is a great way to give them a assault, though it is barely more useful than the Small Laser armed Charger.  Unlike some of the later '3025' era designs, I just do not think the Emperor 5A breaks the setting.

I mean, if I got it as a merc . . . probably the first thing I would do would be swapping a single AC/5 for a PPC or LL, cut down on ammo and increase ranged damage with the sinks to actually use the weapon.  Tossing the JJs is also a open question.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 04 December 2021, 20:34:24 »
Spent my drive home yesterday pondering if the Emperor 5A would have been 'good' to be more common and around in the 3SW era.  DPS barely above a medium mech, slow, well armored & sinked, but it has a bit more mobility with the JJ.  I mean for PCs, it is a great way to give them a assault, though it is barely more useful than the Small Laser armed Charger.  Unlike some of the later '3025' era designs, I just do not think the Emperor 5A breaks the setting.

I mean, if I got it as a merc . . . probably the first thing I would do would be swapping a single AC/5 for a PPC or LL, cut down on ammo and increase ranged damage with the sinks to actually use the weapon.  Tossing the JJs is also a open question.

concur, and I think a custom 3025 emperor (say, in a "spotlight on" series PDF kinda thing) with your build would both be fun on the table and a natural, non-world-breaking variant that makes sense canonically

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #41 on: 07 December 2021, 05:19:40 »
Just wanted to note here as a CapCon player that the 6L is low-key one of the best assault 'Mechs in the CCAF's arsenal. It pairs beautifully with a number of other stealth designs, particularly the PLG-4Z, the ARC-7L and the CRD-7L, and until the debut of the Marauder II 4L in RS 3145 NTNU, it was nearly irreplaceable.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #42 on: 07 December 2021, 10:37:39 »
Yeah, the 6L gets overshadowed by the Pillager 4Z but it has some endurance.  I definitely think it is better than the 7L, the real issue however is how easy is it to maintain that proper heat for movement.

You know, now that I think about it . . . I actually used a Emperor 6A fit on a Dire Wolf minus JJ back in the FGC days, never made the link back then . . . but such a thing would be even more insane now if you still had the room for IJJ.

As time has gone on, I have to say I am still digging the primitive Emperor mini.  I keep one sitting on my desk so that I will eventually paint it . . . which has not happened in the last 3 or 4 years.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 03 January 2022, 22:27:53 »
Just wanted to note here as a CapCon player that the 6L is low-key one of the best assault 'Mechs in the CCAF's arsenal. It pairs beautifully with a number of other stealth designs, particularly the PLG-4Z, the ARC-7L and the CRD-7L, and until the debut of the Marauder II 4L in RS 3145 NTNU, it was nearly irreplaceable.

I'm also a frequent Capellan player and the EMP-6L has been my favorite Capellan design to play over the past year. Oh, and the new-ish miniature from IWM really shines and fits in well with the newer plastic minis from CGL. 

The Gauss, ERPPC, and Stealth Armor combo is awesome. Basically you can snipe or quickly build up heat and use TSM to close range for some short range action.