Author Topic: Tell me about...the Blood Asp  (Read 3339 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
Tell me about...the Blood Asp
« on: 23 April 2011, 20:46:40 »
Today on a whim I tried out the Blood Asp in a MegaMek game, and fell in love with the thing. In honor of whoop-ass victory I'm sporting a new avatar today.

But my experience with it is still limited to that one game, and maybe it was just my critical hit enemy ammo exploding lucky day. I'd like to know what you all think of it.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
Re: Tell me about...the Blood Asp
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2011, 21:19:27 »
Pretty solid chassis.  The configs are generally pretty good, and I'm very fond of the one with a GR, 2 LRM-20s and 4 MPLs.  Just brutal. 

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2011, 21:29:41 »
A very brutal piece of work. The only way it's existance could be allowed was to not allow it to appear in the Inner Sphere in any kind of numbers. Take the Blood Kite for a test drive next. I like Alt Config A with those sweet PPCs and jump jets.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2011, 21:33:58 by lowrolling »
May no one ever know less then me......

Southern Coyote

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • Savage Doesn't Even Begin To Describe It
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2011, 23:44:57 »
Overall a very solid Assault Omni.  Mine alone wiped out 2 lances of medium/heavies and had enough ammo/armor to still square off against another Assault.

Grunt213

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2011, 00:42:49 »
I used the D version and had a blast shooting fools with those UAC2's. It was especially great because the guy I was shooting at was wading across a river for three rounds. I just hung back shooting him up. And it just got nastier the closer he got. Sadly we had to call it a game before things got real dicey. It was the last time I used anything Clan.  :(

Oh and it looks cool, that goes a long way.  8)
Kali Liao: A noblewoman of House Liao while known for her beauty, is best known for being coo-coo, and not just for Cocoa-Puffs.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2011, 01:22:33 »
Its definatly a very 'modern' unit in terms of its design, especaly its configurations. Its basic models incourperate the advances of the post 3058 era, and it even boasts a few post TW veriants, though they're more of the new-toy type than the really optomal type.  It does have moderatly week armor, notably in its 24 point side torsos, but the rest of the locations are fairly solid, its generaly well stocked with crit sinks, and its got enough power to just take things down before they can breach the armor, so it tends not to be an insurmountable problem, even in high intensity fighting.  You just have to lean on that extra speed it has over many high end assualts to keep yourself well positioned and drive the pace of battle.

The Prime's a brawler at heart.  The GRs mean it can do a really good impressing of being a ranged fighter, but the fact that they've got no heat means they can stay on line as all the powerful medium lasers and SSRMs come into play, rather than being traded out like PPCs would be, and that makes the infighting potental really very high.  There's a bit of a sweet spot at 3 hexes, after the HMLs are in short range but before the GRs hit their minimums, which is tricky to hit, but going a bit either way still leaves you in a pretty good position.

The A is one I really love a lot, though its quite poor in actuality, since it runs fabuliously hot.  But jumping PPCs with a TC is never bad, and one usable HLL as a secondary is hardly something to laugh at.  The E is in many ways an improvement on this, since its also twin jumping TCed PPCs (I tend to think of the A as a take on the Dire Wolf H and the E as a take on the Dire Wolf C) but with more usable pulse lasers and ATMs as secondaries, making the E perhaps the most potent veriant to my mind.

The B is really good, though the style bugs me.  The GR and LRMs offer a fairly solid one two punch at range, with a good crit seeking/hole punching ballance, but the real work is done up close with the MPLs comming on line, and again like the prime the 'long ranged' weapons continue to shine in close, so you can still lead with that GR and seek some crits with the LRMs.

The C and D are actualy pretty solid, but overly ACy for my taste.  Their best atributes are rock bottem BV, which makes them good value.

The F is a crazy infighter, though it reminds me a lot of one of my better personal veriants and so I like it quite nicely.  With its PPCs, its actualy a bracket fire model more than the Prime and B, though if your TNs are high you can always just fire it all and just sort of see how many SSRMs hit, given their streak nature.

The G is a brutal sniper with that big TCed HAG and the ER LLs, but like every single veriant it can put up a really stiff fight in close quarters, and with the way the HAG works its really tempting to get in there and let it do its thing.

"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."