Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 246226 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #960 on: 27 November 2017, 21:31:59 »
* Mumbles about how Lyrans get all the toys... *

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #961 on: 28 November 2017, 21:42:43 »
* Mumbles about how Lyrans get all the toys... *

TT
;D ;)
U mean we buy them!!!!
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #962 on: 28 November 2017, 22:06:50 »
* Starts thinking of making a gofundme account for Dragon Cat to make CHH as ilClan in is AU *

;D
TT

( Begins to think of more evil Whispers of Blake ideas... rubs hands. )
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #963 on: 29 November 2017, 00:01:25 »
* Starts thinking of making a gofundme account for Dragon Cat to make CHH as ilClan in is AU *

;D
TT

Really, without most of the clans dramatically increasing their size, the likelihood of an ilClan is quite unlikely.  Currently the strongest clans are at a severe disadvantage against the SLDF.

The Rasalhague Dominion has roughly one cluster per 'mech regiment of the SLDF, not to mention the listed support forces.  In space, the active SLDF navy has twice the military tonnage as the Dominion, throwing in the the CASPARs, this increases to triple.

The Nova Cats have nearly the same number of clusters as the Dominion, though they are generally about 10-15% smaller, giving a further edge to the SLDF on the ground.  In space, they are close to parity in military tonnage, unless the CASPARs are considered, which puts the Nova Cats at a 3:2 disadvantage.

In all, any of the clans need some pretty heavy equipment increases to effectively combat the SLDF in order to take Terra.  Or... something needs to happen to the SLDF (White robes?! Where?)

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #964 on: 29 November 2017, 02:24:31 »
Khan TT will lead the CHH to complete victory against the false Star League.
After he has some more fun with the Toasters. }:)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #965 on: 29 November 2017, 03:37:11 »
Remember that lil discussion you, me and Dragon Cat had Vition re tourman sizes.  Whilst you're very correct in regards to raw naval tonnage, it was you who figured out that the Dominion, if they wanted to could pump out a huge number of Clusters.  What holds them back is their lack of hulls.  The levi's are very good ships but there's only 3 of them.   Plus the big thing with the Dominion  is that I doubt there's the will. They are a Successor State now in all but name and the other Clans know this, but they and the other Clans call them Clan purely because they kinda need them.

I don't even think the Nova Cats have the desire to go for being IlClan, they seem happy where they are.  The Wolves, Falcons and Horses however...But all three lack the material strength and numbers to even think about it.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #966 on: 29 November 2017, 06:35:11 »
I don't even think the Nova Cats have the desire to go for being IlClan, they seem happy where they are.  The Wolves, Falcons and Horses however...But all three lack the material strength and numbers to even think about it.
Desire? One warrior get's vision of a NovaCat (animal) wearing the crown of the Star League on it's crown. You know they will go for it.
Who knows, maybe the new splinter Griffins will end up trying do it and Nova Cats try stop them and ending up with IlClan chair instead.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #967 on: 29 November 2017, 07:41:00 »

;D
TT

;D ;D ;D

As for the Clan discussion remember one thing.  The Star League Defence Force is one, the Clans are many...

Wrangler I like that vision  8)

Also I forgot to post the link for an updated TO&E for Korbin's Kommandos (Doc_Agren's unit)
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=50991.0
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #968 on: 29 November 2017, 22:21:51 »
Caveat before splurge, the thoughts, estimates, and assumptions below are entirely my doing.  While they all have a basis in Dragon Cat's canon, none of them are perfect representations and so much more could happen to change things before anything actually comes of everything.  Without further ado (SPLURGE!):

To add a bit for everyone else as to what marauder is talking about.  Using the touman sizes listed in Dragon Cat’s Active Units of the Inner Sphere, and the growth over 2 years being close to 100 stars per year, the estimated maximum size was around 165 clusters.  I’ve now come to suspect that those were “boom” years, where a larger than normal group passed their graduation trial - if it was the norm, then based on my estimated turnover rate (which admittedly is partly pulled out of my bum, the other part is educated guess), they were producing close to 25 clusters of warriors per year (with more information I’d downgrade this to about 20 clusters per year, dropping the maximum size of the Bears to ~135 clusters).  This could potentially be doubled, but I doubt it could get to much more than that without serious compromises in the quality of troops (normal graduating class: clan green, extended graduating class: inner sphere green, extra extended graduating class: inner sphere very green), not to mention the necessary equipment and additional tail needed to proper keep the massive influx of number in usable equipment.  While DC is working towards building up the economies of all the powers, I don’t the Dominion is capable of this quite yet.

Regarding my choice of the Dominion and Cats, I simply used the two most powerful clans on paper as examples.  Odds are pretty good that there are three or four clans which are likely to be interested in the ilClan-ship: The Wolves, Jade Falcons, Hell’s Horses and either the Coyotes or Griffins (or whatever the Nova Cat spin-off will end up being called, assuming, of course, that they do actually become a new clan), neither of which is currently in the position to truly vie for the position.

So what is needed to actually break the SLDF in it’s primary protectorate.  Well taking some liberties with calculations, I estimate the overall listed strength of the SLDF as 265 clusters, with perhaps 15% of it being assigned to its further flung holdings and assisting the Combine and Lyrans, pegging the core at around 225 clusters.  Overall, the SLDF has grown in size by about 10% per year for the last 3 years (which is actually a fair bit more than any individual clan, though all the clans have been more active than the SLDF, so these numbers don’t tell the whole story), and has 32 Mtons of warships with an additional 15 Mtons of CASPARs with somewhere between 10-20 Mtons of warships only waiting for crew (that’s 11 further Oteys, and a variety of comparatively obsolete warships near Fenwick - though they can still be effective), there’s potential all of these could be crewed in less than half a decade, but more reasonably it should be between 7 and 10 years.  Assuming they can only mobilize 70% of their forces against a clan incursion of the Prime protectorate, this puts them at ~157 clusters, and 22.4 Mtons of Warships, with an additional ~10 Mtons of CASPARs.

So what do the clans have to compete against that, at the moment(these are equivalents, not actual listed forces):
Wolves: 50 clusters, 19.2 Mtons warships
Falcons: 25 clusters, 13.9 Mtons warships
Hell’s Horses: 42 clusters, 10.2 Mtons warships
Coyotes: 25 clusters, 6.5 Mtons warships

Totals: 142 clusters, 49.8 Mtons warships

End result, overall a significant margin on the clan side for Warships, meanwhile a similarly large margin for SLDF ground forces.  The real downside is that, by my current calculations, the SLDF is growing at a faster rate than the likely opposing clans, another 5 years and they’d likely be at near parity on the warship front, while maintaining a large lead on the ground.  Much more than that and things start going quickly against the clans.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #969 on: 03 December 2017, 22:34:20 »
Time for another big update with contributions from myself, James Tanaga (Lyran/Buena bit) and welcoming back Blackhorse 6 (Federated Suns)

Meeting Room, Complex A1
Wolf City, Gallery
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
7th May 3111

Like many who had visited the underground city that served as the Mountain Wolf capital on Gallery Duke Robert Lunius was in awe of what he was seeing but also saw the oppetunity that the Archon had spoken of, the city was sparsely populated since the rest of the Clan abandoned the Lyran Commonwealth.  Lunius was not convinced that this course of action was the best one but the weapons coming out of the Gallery had convinced the Archon that the remaining Mountain Wolves could be trusted.  He was led into a meeting room and saw someone waited for him he was tall with short brown hair that was beginning to grey slightly he had a goatee that was also beginning to show signs of grey.

“I am Duke Robert Linius of Halfway representing Archon Jessica Steiner.  You are not Star Colonel Daniela Wolf” Linius said realizing he’d pointed out the obvious after he had spoken.

“Neg, I am not, I am Scientist General Riko Danvers and I lead the scientists of the Mountain Wolves.  Star Colonel Daniela Wolf is commanding our forces as they train on the southern continent she has authorized me to speak on behalf of the Mountain Wolves, please sit Duke Lunius.”

“I had heard that you had formed a third cluster.”  Lunius admitted sitting opposite the Scientist General “which leads me to the reason I am here Archon Steiner is aware of the facilities that you have here and the excess accommodation that is available in this city and the other settlements the Mountain Wolves have.”

“It is no secret that we have a smaller Touman and population than before” he said “but we are still committed to supporting the Lyran Commonwealth in anyway we can.”

“I am aware of your commitments Scientist General and the Archon appreciates your people’s work.  The weapon shipments and medical research alone has been very useful.”  He said “however we think that we could help make more out of what you have here on Gallery.  With the Clans continuously threatening our borders and the recent break of the Son Hou Theatre there has been a wave of refugees who wish to remain Lyran citizens but have been displaced.  The Archon and I believe that Gallery with its facilities already constructed could be one place that could take many?”

“Affirmative Duke Lunius” Danvers replied after a moment’s hesitation “we could accommodate many given time to prepare the facilities, we have mothballed many that were not in use, if they are willing to work then we could possibly also bring further factories and research facilities online.”

“The Archon had the same thought” Lunius said seeing that the Scientist had quickly picked up on the Lyran thinking.  “We wish for your people to thrive within the Commonwealth if you are able to accommodate these citizens and provide them with a safe environment and work the Archon has authorized me to increase shipments of raw materials and supplies to your facilities.”

“We already barely use all of them that are already provided to us, Duke Lunius, perhaps you could hold onto what you were ready to provide for now and we will request them when we are ready.” Danvers said smiling he was sure that the Duke was happy to see him appreciate what the Lyrans were doing for the Wolves but the real reason for the smile was his own.

“If you are sure?  There are others within the Commonwealth in need of resources.”

“Then they should get them” Danvers said knowing that it would be music to Lunius’ ears.  “The Mountain Wolves will make do with what we have until we are ready for more.”  He said “I know the Lyran state will provide when it is ready and able to.”  He said playing along with the man’s desires “we will be ready within the month to take in some of the refugees.”

“I am very glad to hear this” Lunius said rising from his chair as Danvers did “I will contact the Archon as soon as I am able and make her aware of the Mountain Wolves continued commitment.”  He said reaching out and shaking Danvers hand.  Soon after the Duke left and not long after Scientist Elda Beckett entered the room.

“You heard?”  He asked she nodded she had been listening into their conversation from another room.  “We will need to move some of our research quickly I do not want Lyran refugees stumbling over our advances.”

“Yes, Scientist General it will not take long to move the supplies.”  She said remaining standing “with additional bodies available we could move to the second phase of testing of our drugs program.”

“Agreed but only in small amounts we have already had a greater fail rate here than the test subjects in the Homeworlds ever displayed.”  Danvers warned their drugs program was advanced but some was still risky.

“These refugees have been forced from their worlds their immune systems are already weakened Scientist General should some die once they have reached their new habitat how can any blame be placed on our shoulders?”  Beckett pointed out her question clearly rhetorical.  “We can only do what we can.”

“Yes, I agree, but we still must be careful.  Lyran Intelligence has one hundred different things to keep an eye on at present we do not need to make item one hundred-and-one on their list.”

“Of course not, Scientist General, we have already shown we can be trusted.  We will continue to be an important part of House Steiner’s development.”

Ciudad del Mar, Buena
Buena Archonette, Lyran Commonwealth
Inner Sphere
10th May, 3111

Archonette Kathy Parks smiled as the graduating class of the Buena College of War celebrated, many alongside family members. In her fifty-five years past military service and now current public service as Archonette of the Buena Archonette, she had witnessed the scene many a time, yet it never got old. She watched the future of the Lyran Commonwealth in pride as her old eyes as her special guest stood beside her.

“You can go visit your son and family, you know,” Kathy informed the younger woman.

“I doubt the Archon’s allowance allows me to get lost in the crowd,” was the disgruntled rejoinder. She nodded privately to herself. Colonel Kelly Varnay was seemingly here on Buena on leave to celebrate her son’s graduation from the Buena College of War.

It was a mockery, as far as Kathy was concerned. The newly-graduated Lieutenant Richard Varnay had been relocated here to Buena, in concert with the rest of his family. She felt for him. He was far from his friends at the Coventry Military Academy. Officially, the young man was here as a visiting student. Unofficially, it was a move by Jessica to get control over the public spectacle that had engulfed her refusal to use the First Fesnyng in the past few months. Kelly shook her head, yet understood her former friend. The Archon would not risk, or be publicly preserved to be risking, her uncle’s life in the hands of a Varnay while Victor Steiner-Davion remained in the Lyran Commonweath the First Fesnyng would remain as far from him as possible.  Colonel Varnay’s loyalty was not in question but the trouble the media could create by using her image and name was trouble that Jessica Steiner could not afford.

A moment passed as both woman watched the ongoing celebration. “What’s your analysis on the current border situation concerning the Archonette, Colonel?”

“If this is your attempt to distract me over my current situation, you’re failing, Archonette,” was Kelly Varnay’s gruff reply, causing the older woman to shake her head.

“I still would like to know your opinion on the matter, Colonel. I know that you are on leave but I need all my resources to keep the Archonette from imploding right now. If that means, I have to use you, I will,” was Kathy’s own reply.

The older woman smiled as she heard the other sigh. “The expected merging of Erdvynn Province into the Collection should keep the Rim Collection distracted for a long while. From the reports, I gather the Collection is rapidly building its naval forces and preparing for war against the Circinus Federation.”

Kathy nodded. “That is my own belief as well. Any suggestions on how to deal with that? The Rim Collection cannot lose that conflict over a longer period and should they take the Circinus Federation, it’ll weaken us politically.”

The Archonette noted the shadow of Kelly Varnay shrug. “Your forces don’t have the manpower to muscle in on the situation and the Estates Generals will not divert resources from the Clan borders to support you. You really want my suggestion?”

Kathy turned her head to glance at the younger officer. “What is it?”

“Make a coalition with the Rim Collection, the Southwest Covenant Worlds, and perhaps the Free Worlds League’s District of Lothario against the Circinus Federation,” Kelly Varnay succinctly replied. “We already lost the Circinus Federation. We should instead be working to minimize the loss by forcing the Rim Collection to border the Free Worlds League. At the same time, however, we need to make inroads with the Southwest Covenant Worlds and try to get them to re-join the Commonwealth or at least keep them from allying themselves with other foreign powers.”

“Interesting,” Kathy muttered allowed, weighing the pros and cons of Kelly Varnay’s suggestion in her head as her eyes caught sight of the colonel’s family approaching them, the Free Worlds League was a Star League ally the distrust from the Succession Wars was not something that should hold them back. “I would like an in-depth report on your suggestion after the weekend, Colonel,” she informed the younger woman, causing her to turn her head sharply to Kathy’s direction.

“With respect Archonette, I am on leave and not under your chain of command,” she grizzled out as her family arrived, causing Kathy to turn and face the younger officer for the first time in their conversation.

“Enjoy your weekend, Colonel. And if there is a report on my desk by Wednesday, you may find yourself promoted to be my new chief-of-staff. If not, you can stay with your rats,” she informed her before turning to face Kelly’s family. “Lieutenant, Cadet,” she greeted Richard and Elizabeth Varnay, while nodding at Kelly’s husband, Jonathan Prycehaufer. Moments later she left the small family as she began greeting other newly graduated cadets, knowing full well nearby cameras would catch her.

Medical Ward, New Bealton
Odessa, Donegal Province
Lyran Commonwealth
14th May 3111

In a sterile room in the main medical facility on Odessa Victor Steiner-Davion, the former First Prince of the Federated Suns, lay comatose where he had laid since his battle with Khan Jana Pryde only a few kilometres from where he now was.  When he had been found Victor was close to bleeding out his chest penetrated by branches in two places and with several broken bones.  The medics had rushed him to a medical facility but with a lung, kidney and heart damage all they could do was link him to several medical machines to keep him alive in a medically induced coma.

Beside his bed his wife Duchess Danai Centrella-Davion sat in the same chair she had for the last since his injuries waiting for him to come back to her.  During time here she’d been reminded almost daily about how much she loved him and needed him, how much he had changed her life.  Born a Canopian Princess she had become a respected warrior, fought the Clans found love and created her own life.

As one of the medical technicians checked the medical equipment Danai shifted in her chair enough to bump the bed.  “Careful dear” a weak voice said a moment or two as Victor’s eyes flicked open.

“Victor!” She said leaning in to kiss him “Victor!” She said again kissing him again.

“Easy, I still hurt a lot” he said as she leaned back he glanced up at the medical tech “wonders of medical technology eh Doc?”

“You certainly are OvKhan” the man said nodding downwards slightly the man wore Lyran medical briefs but wore a Clan Wolf insignia.  It took him several moments to think about what he had said remembering the words meant ‘honoured superior’ and that there were still Wolves in the Lyran Commonwealth.

“What happened?”  He asked as the tech raised the headboard of the chair so Victor could sit up which was agony for him but better than being unable to see her.  It felt strange for Victor to feel so tired but he guessed that was what happened when you were so badly hurt.

“You have been in a medically induced coma for the last four months since your fight with Jana Pryde.”  Danai said quietly “you had severe injuries following your ejection.”  She explained as he tried to move “stay still” she commanded “the only way for you to recover was for the doctors to put you into a coma.  Archon Steiner contacted the remaining Wolves on Gallery who agreed to attend and assist.”

“And the rest is history?”

“You’ve had a few close calls OvKhan Steiner-Davion” the technician said “your new heart has caused the most problems” he explained “it took us some time to get it to to work with your body.”

“What happened with the Falcons?”

“Victor Focht joined his forces with the Lyrans and assisted in liberating Alma Alta and Cameron from the Jade Falcons.”  Danai said “unfortunately the Falcons have reinforced their position by capturing several clusters from the Hell’s Horses.”  She said glancing down “and you received a message from Bannister Cameron.”  She said handing a remote to him “there’s a Tri-vid player in the corner I’ve seen it, I’ll come back in when you are ready.”  She said rising from her chair she guided the technician out.  Victor reached for the play button and pressed it.

The message began as a hologram of Bannister Cameron appeared in the corner of the room he looked much like he had when Victor had last seen him on Terra.  “This message is for Victor Ian Steiner-Davion if he has past then please destroy this message as it will be of no concern to you.”  He said a moment later the message flicked slightly and then Bannister continued “Victor, I hope that this message finds you well, if you are seeing this message then I am dead and I have yet to appoint a successor.”  He said if this was a joke it was the worst one that Victor had ever seen “I am recording this message on the 12th November 3110.”  He said pausing to smile “I know you are probably thinking that you have not long left Terra and that I mentioned none of this.”  He said “Victor, the reason that I did not mention this is because it was your choice to go against your instincts and take the mission against the Falcons.”  He said glancing away from the tri-vid camera.

“You have told me many times over the last couple of years that your old habits were going to get you killed I think that it is your old habits that are keeping you alive.”  He said “and I need you to keep something else alive, the Star League Protectorate and the Star League Defence Force.” He said “the Protectorate needs strong leadership and I want that leadership to be yours.”  He said Victor paused the message and glanced at Bannister and then the door before playing the message “I know your argument you’ve retired, you wish to enjoy life, but I also know you also still feel a sense of duty I saw that when you served as First Lord and feel you still have much to give.”

“I have sent to the Star League Protectorate’s Council that you are my nomination to replace me as leader of Liberty and of the Star League Protectorate.”  He said stunning Victor “my friend do me this one last favour serve as the Protectorate’s first Exarch and make the Protectorate and the Star League endure until the next generation can enjoy its successes.”  He said

The message then ended and Victor was treated with a news report that showed that Bannister Cameron had been assassinated on New Canton on the 26th February 3111.  A week later Victor had been nominated and confirmed as Bannister’s replacement despite his status of being in a coma.  In practice the day to day running of the Protectorate was run by the Council while Victor was a figurehead even House Liao supported it stating it was nice to see that Victor succeeded where his father failed even if the end result was the same.  With Bannister officially also holding the title of the First Lord as well the member states decided that until the Council decided on a leader the Protectorate Council would also hold the First Lordship which technically meant that Victor was once again also the First Lord.

Ignoring Bannister’s offer and the pain he was in he called for two doctors one from the Lyran Commonwealth and one from the Wolves of Gallery.  Both agreed that while he would live for many years to come the Commonwealth doctor was sure that he would be in pain and need further treatment for the rest of his days while the Wolf doctor was convinced that the newly grown organs that were now in his body would make him as healthy as he had been twenty years before.  While he preferred the Wolf’s prognosis the great unknown bothered him.  Instead of dwelling on their findings he then called for a hospital orderly and asked for transport to the Mechbay.

-------------

Nearly three hours later Victor was sat on a wheelchair looking up at the repaired Dire Wolf OmniMech Prometheus its Lyran Guard paint scheme had been reapplied to the replacement armour which had been fitted to the OmniMech.  “Couldn’t stay away from her?”  The voice of Danai Centrella-Davion said as she walked up to him.

“I just wanted to see the thing that almost killed me, I thought it might help make sense of everything.”  He said trying to explain his motives on being here.

“That didn’t almost kill you, a crazy Clan ***** almost killed you.”  She said angrily he knew she was annoyed that he had come here before calling for her as well.

“Yes, but I was stupid enough to think I could still fight like I was thirty years younger.”  Victor admitted “it was like the first time I piloted her I thought that there was nothing I couldn’t do.”  He said looking from the OmniMech to Danai “I’ll never pilot her again.”

“The doctors said you will make a full recovery.”

“Yes, I know, and I’ll never pilot her again” he said being surer of the words this time “I will not put you through this again.”  He said raising his arms to his side despite the pain.  “I will keep that Mech I will keep up the appearance of being the warrior prince when I need to be but I won’t take her into battle that is for the past.”

“Your future battlegrounds will be more up here” she said touching his forehead Victor closed his eyes enjoying her touch “Exarch Steiner-Davion.”

“Where on earth did Bannister come up with that?”

“It was the Council not Bannister and I believe they took it from Ancient Terra’s European District during the rule of one of the first major empires.” She explained when she’d heard the title she’d immediately began reading about it.  “Bannister Cameron turned his back on the title claiming that should a Cameron take on a fancy name for his role then many would see it as the first step towards reborn Hegemony.”

“The Protectorate is that in all but name already all it lacks is its own military wing separate from the Star League Defence Force and from what I’ve ready many believe that it is only time before that happens.”  Victor said looking up at Prometheus again “when people have weapons of war it is only a matter of time before they want the power that goes with them.  It was the same with the bow and arrow, the first firearm, main battle tank, BattleMech, WarShip it doesn’t matter the type of weapon each of them brings man closer to conflict over resource and power.”

“Which Bannister wants you to keep a lid on for a little longer” she said prodding him back to the important conversation instead of chasing the reasons man made war against other man.

“I retired” he said looking back at her “and what’s to stop the member states beginning to treat the Protectorate as a new Terran March?  Linking the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth this could start a new Succession War.”

“Only if you gave preferential treatment to those states and worked against the others you’ve shown in the past a fair hand while serving as First Lord.  It does mean you’ll have to be firm with Burton and the Federated Suns but if you are able to handily that then it shouldn’t be a problem?  The Star League is fragile it has been since the Capellans withdrew and now with the Combine lowering their support these are testing times but it is not over.  And if the Star League does fall the Protectorate worlds could use a leader who knows how to win a conflict at its helm.”

“I retired” he repeated again looking back at Prometheus.

“Old habits die hard, Exarch” she said leaning over him wrapping her arm around his shoulders showing her support for his new position.

« Last Edit: 03 December 2017, 22:41:51 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #970 on: 03 December 2017, 22:34:30 »
Border Fighting
Draconis March, Federated Suns
22nd May 3111

Under the direction of Warlord Hirohito Kurita DCMS Ground and Naval forces assault the system’s of Reisling’s Planet and Galtor III.  Deploying two pairs of WarShips to the systems they quickly overwhelm the Davion naval forces and push on towards the planet.

On both planets the DCMS find elite RCTs of the Davion Guards awaiting them each backed with several aerospace wings and assault DropShips meaning the WarShips were warier of remaining close enough to provide orbital bombardment instead they approached close enough to allow their ground forces to land but without risking the WarShips.

Without orbital fire support the ground battle was a stalemate with the Davion Guard RCTs skill, equipment levels and dug in positions compensating for the superior numbers held by the DCMS units.

Crucis March Duke’s Conference Room, The Fox’s Den
New Avalon, New Avalon PDZ
Crucis March, Federated Suns
17th May 3111

The display map of the St. Ives PDZ showed a planet in a sea of orange now flashing green in its loss to the Capellan Confederation.  A shadow moved to a point directly adjacent to the flashing and pointed a finger at the planet and stopped the flashing.

“Indicass was invaded by three CCAF units… am I correct?  THREE?!?  Not one, or two… but three.  And no one here or in the field noticed that any of them moved off station, travelling through light years of space and across our border… no one?  Three units… not one, or two but three. Well…”

The combined senior staff officers from the Department of Military Intelligence’s MI2, 3 and 4 as well as their Capellan and Crucis March intelligence representatives stood silently along with DMI Leftenant-General Alanna Green-Davion.  Even though she bristled at the situation and considered very, very briefly an attempt to defend the assembled analysts, she made no protest to what she knew was coming.

The shadow grew in front of the display until Duke Paul Ryan-Bowman appeared in front of them though the Duke of the Crucis Mark he was considerably closer to the Davions than Duchess Kym Hasek, the current ruler of New Syrtis and the Capellan March.  With the Fox’s Den serving to coordinate efforts for the Federated Suns defence he was simply in a better position to give them a dressing down than Hasek was unfortunately as it was with most things they’d probably get the same from Duchess Kym Hasek when she found the time.

She had heard the stories about him from her own grandmother, who had served as the liaison officer to the Wild Geese mercenary command, back when he was their field commander.  He was about the same age as the legendary Victor Steiner-Davion but if not for her position coming up the ranks of DMI, she would haven’t a clue about how dangerous this Duke was… much less had been a key part of.  The man had such impossibly high standards that her posting last summer had seemed like a punishment rather than a privilege.  At this moment he knew more than she did, too much raw information, too much public evidence to even attempt to smooth the situation.  His very expression kept alternating between stark disbelief and controlled anger.

At times like these, the analysts around her surely considered death to be less painful option than what he might be planning for them next.  Not one of them had detected anything irregular afoot, none of them could fathom how Twenty-second Liao Lancers, the Hustaing Lancers or House Dai Da Chi had landed and flattened the Second St Ives Janissaries RCT turning what had originally been a raid into an full invasion.  But the old man was on to something… even they couldn’t find the edges of this puzzle; he had the pieces in his hands.  Everyone knew it the depths of the seriousness of this situation as well as they did and he sensed their trepidation and confusion.

“Collectively you all represent decades of the finest and most expensive training the AFFS has to offer… AND. WE. FAILED. THIS. NATION. MISERABLY!”  Taking a deep breath, Duke Paul passed around them, silently fixing his eyes on each of the assembled personnel in turn.   Silence gained lease so that heartbeats were audible for almost a minute.  Field Marshal Green-Davion held her breath as he passed her by without so much as a side-long glance.  Her training took root and in those moments she realized two things.  Firstly – he was caught off guard just as much as they were.  Secondly - she was going to have to remind him of a personal appointment with Duchess Alexandra and the Marshal of the Armies, Frederick Davion, in a few minutes time the whole reason for the Duke being on New Avalon was to gain support from the Marshal of Armies for new construction efforts on Tikonov.  ‘What a great day to be a loyal daughter of the Suns’, she thought, ‘I wonder if the Mercenary Liaison office would let me transfer over…’

“That’s right, WE. But I, I personally have to explain this, all of this, to our bosses – First Prince Burton and Marshal of the Armies Frederick.  My job… not any one of you and I am NOT eager to explain how this was done right in front of OUR eyes.  That’s right… OUR eyes and how we did not know one of our worlds had been taken by the Capellans of all people.  I will take the responsibility for this fiasco but before that happens you WILL find out how this happened.  By the Unfinished Book!  You WILL find out the five Ws and H of this… and I want those answers YESTERDAY!”

With his magnanimous pointing towards the door, the assembled personages didn’t waste anytime in exiting the conference room, several bodily collisions and hasty stumbles ensued. At any other time, Allana would have laughed herself silly at the sight.  They were all so very eager to escape and redress their job priorities, while also keeping their rank and station in life intact.  However, someone got to stay and deal with the Duke, so Leftenant-General Green-Davion stood silently and waited.  There were times being the liaison to a march lord as well as his de facto aide-de-camp was a bitch.  When the last analyst had left the room, the Duke angrily punched the projector, then looking skyward; he uncharacteristically let out a sarcastic laugh.

“Leftenant-General?” he asked as he waived the holographic map off.

“Yes your Grace?” she responded tentatively.

“I need to plan.  I need three Sword Teams ready to move and a list of available small to medium sized house and mercenary units we can use to correct this unbelievably egregious oversight before I am asked what my plan to resolve this is.  But before that and more importantly… I need your help… as I am sure you realize, this caught me off guard also.  I looked but somehow, someway, the Capellans slithered past me – right past my face – even though I was looking for them.” He said the Sword Team was a concept that originated more than a dozen years before and was essentially a Light LCT with two or three regiments of forces in strength more mobile than either an LCT or RCT the Sword Teams were primarily made up of armour and battle armour forces with BattleMech units serving in a support and assault role.  Ryan-Bowman had been behind their original inception and had quietly syphoned forces off his Tikonov Cossacks to reform six such units while it had given him additional units to deploy it had weakened the Cossacks which would take years to rebuild to previous strengths.

Alanna blinked in surprise for she couldn’t remember Duke Paul ever admitting something like this could have been missed by him.  His record, from a professional standpoint, was exemplary since he became Duke of the Crucis March.  Not much ever slipped past him, he seemed to actually be very prescient in predicting what the Suns’ enemies would do… until now.  For the first time she looked at him and saw something she had never seen before in him - he was afraid.  And although she hated to admit it, she had reached the very same conclusion that he had – and she was afraid too.  He looked her in the eyes and smiled in a fatherly way, his age becoming more apparent as motioned her towards the conference room door.

“Something is very wrong with our intelligence system… I believe it has been compromised”, he confided to her shock, “… at least I think that’s where it lies.  Look at everything, look everywhere, somewhere, something… something is very wrong in the Prince’s house.  Choose your assistants with care, keep this compartmentalized as much as possible, use my name if the need arises.  No matter how this plays out, it’s my failure to have anticipated such an eventuality not yours.”

Walking through the door she turned to him and nodded her head.

“Of course your Grace and I do appreciate your faith… but why me?  I’m MI2 trained and my record for such things as you ask is charitably acceptable… but hardly the best.  Surely MI5 or 6 operatives would be better suited for this.  I am sure I could find another who could do-”

“Integrity.” he said cutting her off.  “I have come to depend on you to check my ways and methods.  Your integrity and loyalty is beyond question, which is why I endorsed your promotion.  What I need and what House Davion demands from you at this moment is your integrity. I need your help, and I need you to get to what is behind this and together root it out before it can go any farther.”

Surprised by the revelation she looked around, dropping her voice low, she inquired, “I was always under the impression that since I was chosen for this job that you had no confidence in how I ran the department…”

“Oh that, he’s like that with only those he believes are worth his attention,” came a strange whisper from behind the Field Marshal, “as far as that goes, you are up there on his very short list...”

Leftenant-General Green-Davion turned to see Duchess Alexandra Ryan-Bowman standing behind her smiling, with the Marshal of Armies on her arm, “... but punctuality was never his strong suit. Now, if I could borrow him for a bit, the Marshal of the Suns needs to discuss something with us.”

By early June Sword Units Excalibur, Attila and Laban had redeployed from Tikonov under the Duke’s orders, and with authorization from Marshal of Armies Fredrick Davion, and made their way to Indicass driving off the remaining Capellans on the world bringing the system back under Federated Suns control.

Planetary Assault, Spectre (Spectre-class Strike Cruiser)
Sterope, Taurian Concordat
Periphery
30th May 3111

Using data held over from the first Star League the Sceptre had jumped into the Sterope system neat the ninth planet’s orbit into an area which should be devoid of life.  “Stations report” Star Captain Gerry Harper commanded looking around the command deck as the ship emerged from Hyperspace.

“Perimetre scan complete, no contacts” Rickie reported from the sensors station.

“Engineering, no abnormal system reports following jump, eng…”

“Correction sensor contacts rapidly approaching our position.”  Rickie reported interrupting.

“Sensors clarify” Harper commanded remaining calm.

“It is a rock storm, possibly a comet at some point, impact in six mintes.”

“Engineering get the sail in now those rocks will rip it to pieces.”  Harper ordered the engineer nodded but after a few moments Harper realized there was a problem.  “Report Tom.”

“Sir, the mechanism is fouled we can’t retrive the sail.”

“Damned jinx” Lewis commented from communications.

“Shut it” Harper snarled at the man “Tom cut the sail loose “Amanda bring us around between the rocks and sail and those rocks” he commanded she looked at him for a second but Harper didn’t hesitate “do it now!”  He ordered again this time she followed his orders bringing the Sceptre into a tight turn placing the vessel between the fragile jump sail and the incoming rocks.  “All weapons on the port side open fire on those rocks as they approach.  If it comes to a choice between us and the sail protect the sail.”  He commanded keying the communications on his chair “all hands prepare for potential impacts!”  He said.

Along the hull of the Sceptre autocannons, gauss rifles and pulse lasers cut into the incoming rocks cutting down even the smallest piece of debris heading towards them.  For the larger pieces the Sceptre’s naval lasers vaporized rock after rock in a display of marksmanship that would make any WarShip crew proud of all the rocks coming towards them only two rocks hit the Sceptre causing minimum damage.

“Well done people” Harper transmitted throughout the ship before turning to his command crew “Tom, ETA on sail retrieval.”

“Couple of ours at least we need to clear the mechanisms and check the sail for any damage.”

“So we are staying here” Harper noted

“Just waiting to be found” Lewis commented

“Lewis as long as you are on this bridge keep your comments to yourself or I’ll see you in personal combat.”

“Can’t even refrain from using foul language Star Captain the pressure must be getting to you.”  Lewis said mimicking Harper’s use of a contraction “we have fallen far.”  He said turning back to his console.  “No planetary communications or sensor scans, our weapons fire was masked by the radiation coming from ninth planet.”

“Lewis, pass to Star Commander Shu and the Konstantin that their mission is a go we will move into a support position once the sail is retrieved.”  He said as the WarShip’s two DropShips detached from the hull intending on heading into the system beginning the next phase of their mission.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #971 on: 05 December 2017, 19:50:35 »

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #972 on: 07 December 2017, 09:20:03 »
Interesting stuff, really looking forward to seeing what the outcome is of the Sceptre's attack on Sterope.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #973 on: 07 December 2017, 09:58:24 »
Great stuff! GOod intel

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #974 on: 24 December 2017, 18:33:18 »
To all the fans/contributers of this thread have a Merry Christmas (if you celebrate it) I will get an update done at some point RL has taken a good turn recently so writing is a little backseat but it will continue soon

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #975 on: 24 December 2017, 21:29:29 »
Merry Christmas, Dragon Cat and everyone of you great Battletech fans!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #976 on: 24 December 2017, 21:31:04 »
Merry Christmas DC and all the BT supporters. O0
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #977 on: 27 December 2017, 00:42:26 »
To all the fans/contributers of this thread have a Merry Christmas (if you celebrate it) I will get an update done at some point RL has taken a good turn recently so writing is a little backseat but it will continue soon

DC and the rest of your merry band, we will wait for our next installment.  Hope everyone had a good and safe one. 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #978 on: 12 January 2018, 08:30:09 »
Finally caught up, lookin good.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #979 on: 25 January 2018, 16:57:50 »
So I needed a break and RL took a very good upturn but I can't give up on the story I enjoy telling

With the main forums down I'll post here for now and update when the other is active again.

Distress call Konstantin (Overlord-class DropShip)
Sterope, Taurian Concordat
Periphery
4th June 3111

Across the Sterope system the DropShip Konstantin broadcast a general distress call claiming to have suffered a catastrophic hull breach with several systems damaged and crewmen in dire need of medical attention.  From Sterope’s defence force a single Tug-class DropShip and several Tigress-class Gunboats were deployed to search for an assist the Konstantin if required.

Sitting far deeper in the system Captain Gerry Harper watched as the Taurian’s mobilized their forces fanning out from Sterope heading towards the “crippled” DropShip.  “Not enough” he commented watching the screens he’d wanted more of the defence DropShips to deploy but most of the Taurians had remained in their defence positions.  The Sceptre couldn’t do much to change the outcome of what was to come any transmission from the WarShip would give away their position and end any chance of this mission being a success.
Nearly twelve hours later the DropShip Harbin made its move breaking out of the regular space lanes heading directly for the shipyard Gerry Harper had remained in the Sceptre’s command centre and watched intently as the holotank image updated as his people made their move.  Two of the Sceptre’s aerospace fighter pilots launched soon after the Habin made its move the pilots had volunteered and their initial actions would be critical to the Habin’s success.  The pair of Jengiz Aerospace Fighters pulled off away from the Harbin and rapidly shooting down a flight of four Taurian fighters which had been tasked with guarding the space lanes and keeping ships in their correct positions.  With these fighters destroyed/disabled the two eighty-ton Clan OmniFighters swung around matching formation with the Harbin which was now three hours from the shipyards.

The three hours were the longest three hours of Gerry Harper’s life sitting in the Sceptre’s control he watched as the Holotank updated with sensor telemetry on the distant DropShip and aerospace fighters.  The Tug and Tigress craft had also changed course turning back towards the shipyard ignoring the continued calls for help from the Konstantin who themselves had changed position and were maintaining contact via a communication relay.

The Harbin charged in on the shipyards at nearly three gravities of acceleration the craft moving up an over the shipyards as aerospace fighters, small craft and DropShips manoeuvred to engage.  The two Sceptre aerospace fighters stayed with the Harbin initially before breaking off to assault a Union-class DropShip while causing heavy damage to the craft the two Jengiz aircraft were rapidly surrounded by Taurian craft and were soon disabled but their attack had done enough for the Harbin to move into position.  Pushing the ship’s engines to their limit the Harbin’s crew had brought the craft over the facility remaining close enough for defence emplacements to struggle to hit them while also scanning for and finding the warehouse district.  With Taurian Tigress type craft closing in on them from all sides the main cargo bay doors of the Harbin opened and fifty Battle Armour equipped Elementals, the Sceptre’s entire marine complement, dropped from the craft onto the shipyard’s hull two of the Elementals were vaporized by weapons fire from the defenders but the other forty-eight landed on the shipyard and used breaching explosives to gain access to the facility.  Above the Harbin attempted to accelerate away but already the DropShip had suffered heavy damage and the sudden burst of acceleration was too much for the old DropShip inside the craft something failed sending the Harbin into an unrecoverable spin which took the ship over the facility towards a fuel storage facility the Leopard-class vessel slammed into the fuel tanks its mass and velocity enough to breach them and cause a massive explosion causing several decompressions.  As safety features failed explosions rippled through the facility causing severe damage to nearby accommodation facilities resulting in hundreds of deaths with thousands more at risk.

---------

Burning their way inside the space station the Elementals quickly created a perimeter facing outwards their weapons raised.  From both sides Taurians in environmental suits approached the armoured Clansmen damaging several suits with small arms fire and the Elementals retaliated showing why the genetically engineered soldiers were so feared.  Inside the perimeter Star Commander Quinn Shu commanded her marines while consulting their sensor images.  “Point four you have lead” she commanded “we will locate the warehouses and secure them for the Konstantin to move in.”  She said as the lead Elementals of Point four took a step in the microgravity gunning down several Taurian marines but also taking several laser hits.  Behind them the other Elementals moved forwards down the corridor.
As the Sceptre’s marines moved through the facility they found that the Taurian Space Defence Forces had prepared for this eventuality when they designed the Sterope Shipyards.  While the Elementals could outgun any of the marines individually the Taurians had several “choke” points where they could use cover to even the fight and there were several areas where the Taurians could shoot through specially designed points of the wall.  With these surprises set up three elementals of Point four were down already their suit’s breached and their warriors suffocated.

“Point four right step point three take lead” Shu commanded moments later the remaining two members of Point Four stepped out of the way allowing the fresh point to take the lead.  “Point Three switch to explosive delivery” she commanded instead of the restrained effort the Elementals had been making as one of them stepped around the corner he fired both of the suit’s shoulder-mounted short range missile launchers into one of the Taurian’s defence points blowing up several defenders causing heavy damage to the corridor.  “Konstantin, Shu, we are experiencing heavy resistance mission outcome doubtful without heavy casualties.”  She reported.
“Shu, Konstantin, we’re inbound BattleMechs prepared for boarding” the DropShip replied.

---------

Deeper in the system Gerry Harper looked the situation and saw the prospect of his entire marine force and BattleMech unit lost in one battle.  “Lankenu, bring us out of the shadow.  Engineering jump us to the shipyards.”  The crew looked at him “this was always an option.  Battle stations, set ship wide battle stations.”  He commanded as the Sceptre began to accelerate the ship’s weapons and sensors powered to full strength giving away their position.

---------

The Konstantin rapidly moved over the shipyard depositing two binaries of BattleMechs onto the facility.  From there the BattleMechs began to rake the space around the shipyard targeting aerospace forces and small craft who were obiting.  As they moved across the hull the BattleMechs shot out Taurian defence points as well.

---------

Blowing through a set of pressure doors Shu and the other Elementals forced themselves into the warehouse section and began scanning the munitions, armour sections, heat sinks and weapon systems.  “Shu to Konstantin, we have as much as we need in this section.”  She transmitted but moments later her suit was struck by several bursts of weapons fire.  Shu reacted instinctively moving to the side into cover as did many other Elementals.  “One-one, no breach I repeat no breach.”  She said transmitted glancing out seeing the Taurians had set up two defence turrets in the warehouse and the Taurians had waited for them to enter before firing.  On the other side of the warehouse two more turrets opened up on the Elementals position damaging several more suits.  “Konstantin, we need some more support!”  Shu called out transmitting the position of one of the turrets.

---------

On the hull of the shipyard Stefan Banacek received the same coordinates “Banacek to Konstantin, we can take it.”  He said changing to the general frequency so Shu could hear as well.  “We can take it.”  He said transmitting the coordinates to four other BattleMechs who turned their weapons on a section of hull on the shipyard and opened fire targeting a section of hull off to their right battering the hull plating.  “Another volley we’ll be through” Banacek transmitted.

“Understood we are holding position.”  Shu replied as explosions continued behind her.  As Banacek took aim again there was a massive flash of light which felt like it was all around them a wave of energy seemed to pour over Banacek’s Blood Asp and the other Mechs and the MechWarrior fought to keep control.  Blinking his eyes rapidly Banacek looked at the sensor feed and saw his Mech’s systems were trying to make sense of a multi-thousand-ton object which had suddenly appeared above them.

“It’s a WarShip!”  He shouted a warning as waves of rockets began launching from the vessel down on them “pull back, pull back!”  He shouted as his OmniMech was struck by more than twenty rockets he fought the momentum of the Mech as it wanted to fall.  Beside him a Shadow Hawk and a Nova did not fair so well losing their footing the BattleMechs began to drift away from the hull.  “MOVE!” He now screamed as another wave of fire fell on the Mechs “Shu, you’re on your own, we’re totally defensive!  The Taurians just pulled in a Congress II which looks like it’s seen better days and been heavily modified!”  He said as his sensors began to make sense of it only because his Mech once belonged to the Snow Ravens was the Battle computer able to identify the WarShip.

---------

On board the Sceptre the crew worked rapidly at making sense of the situation and preparing the ship for an inter-system jump.  “It’s a Congress II, Federated Suns registry, FSS Jason Hasek.”

“So the Taurians roll their final dice.”  Gerry Harper replied “helm, bring us in position above them pass to Banacek that we are inbound his people need to stay down.”

“The WarShip is already seeing to that…”

“Ready to jump, sir” Amanda Lankenu said reporting that the Sceptre was in position and that its engines were primed.

“Very well, weapons batteries stand-by to fire following our emergence, helm jump the ship.”  He commanded throughout the ship a siren sounded and then rapidly the vessel fired its jump-drive and launched the ship into a jump which took it across the system in a blink of the eye.

Moments after the jump had been triggered the Sceptre arrived near the shipyards above the recently arrived Jason Hasek.  As the Sceptre orientated itself against the larger Congress II while the Jason Hasek was a larger ship the Sceptre was in far better condition and from the jump was in a better position with its broadside orientated at the Congress’ aft section.  Naval lasers and autocannons “fell” down on the Congress’ aft section smashing armour and engine exhausts while the Congress only had a few lighter model naval autocannons to reply from.

“Were not expecting that were you?”  Harper commented as some of Sceptre’s fire went wide and slammed into the shipyard below causing secondary explosions.  As the Sceptre continued to fire on the Congress two massive capital missiles slammed into the vessel’s forward hull below the Congress began a lazy turn.

“Krakens” Tom from the engineering section said “they threw up a volley of rockets distracted our AMS and then hit us.”  As the Congress continued to turn more Krakens fired from the ship’s forward section along with more rockets.

“How many did they fit onto that blasted ship?”  Another commented

“Weps set AMS to ignore rockets concentrate on the capital missiles.  All weapons on the Congress have our remaining fighters target the Taurians.”  Harper commanded the Sceptre continued to pound the Congress but as it turned now they faced fresh armour on the other vessel along with further naval autocannons which opened up on the Sceptre causing heavy armour damage.  Unfortunately, it was too little too late for the Taurian vessel as the Sceptre’s near constant barrage of naval lasers penetrated the vessel’s armour causing more and more internal damage enough now that entire sections of the vessel were exposed to vacuum.

“They are losing power and helm control.”

“Understood continue to fire”

“Elementals are still looking for support”

“Redirect aerospace fighters to the station have them provide support fire.”  Harper commanded as the Sceptre finished off the Congress II the aerospace fighters dived into the station blowing open a section to space.  “Have Konstantin and our small craft redirect to the station collect our BattleMech force and begin to load supplies.”

Below the Sceptre the Congress began to tumble out of control as the Sceptre’s fire severed links between the ship’s command and control and main engines.  The remaining small craft and aerospace fighters continued to attack the Sceptre but their attacks were now far more diminished.

“CAPITAL MISSILES!”  Rickie shouted as nearly a dozen missiles appeared from another angle.

“Engines to full, try to throw them off, anti-missile fire against all capital missiles.”  Harper commanded bringing the vessel up tp thrust moving it away from its previous position attempting to throw off the incoming missiles if any of them were nuclear then they’d be in trouble.

As the Sceptre suddenly began to accelerate the first three missiles went wide slamming into the shipyard none of them were nuclear armed but one must have hit something combustible as there were several secondary explosions.  “Have our marines be ready to evacuate!”  He called out as he saw the Sceptre’s anti-missile systems swat six more of the capital missiles while an aerospace fighter intercepted another.  “Sensors, find the ships that launched those missiles!”  He demanded hopping they’d find them before they fired again.

“Three Mule-class vessels which appear to have been modified with capital weapons.”

“Helm take us to them now!”  He said as the sensors detected several more missile launches.

“No” Harper whispered before regaining his composure “helm, random manoeuvres change our speed and all counter-measures fire on missiles.”  He said the Sceptre’s movements became completely random causing trouble for all of the crew and systems several of the capital missiles went wide again.  “They should be getting closer than that” he said as three missiles struck the WarShip fortunately all were conventional warheads and only caused armour damage.  As Harper watches the Sceptre’s gunners destroy the DropShips two aerospace fighters destroyed the remaining two capital missiles causing a large nuclear explosion which wiped out the two craft.  “There is no way they only had one, scanners on the wreckage, I want to know if any of their warheads survived.”

After several hours of work thousands of tons of supplies, food, spare parts, fuel and ammunition were loaded from the shipyards onto the Sceptre.  While their marines kept the Taurians at bay long enough to for them all to evacuate onto the WarShip.  From the Mules the Sceptre’s crew recovered four nuclear warheads while from the Congress they salvaged as much ammunition from the ship as they could.
“What now?” Stefan Banacek asked returning to the WarShip he now stood in the vessel’s command centre having lost four of his BattleMechs and their warriors in the fight.  Overall their losses had been lighter than they expected over the Harbin with four aerospace fighters lost, two small craft crippled and sixteen Elemental Battle Armour suits damaged with six lost.

“You do not leave an enemy stronghold at your back.”  Harper said and with that the Sceptre’s broadside battery opened fire with naval lasers battering the shipyard below.  Already damaged the shipyards began crumpling under the assault.  Inside two of the construction bays two partially completed Hyades-class Corvettes exploded within the facility causing even more damage.  “How let’s get the hell out of here.”  Harper said watching the crippled facility begin to fall into Sterope’s atmosphere below there would be little to stop it now, behind the shipyards the remains of the Jason Hasek would also probably end up inside in the planet’s atmosphere.

Within days of the announcement of the attack and the shipyards destruction the Taurian Government declare all Clan forces as pirate forces and order a nationwide hunt for the Sceptre.  Rescue ships head to the world of Sterope but the world is now little more than a dying one.

Terrorist Attacks
Liao, Acamar PDZ
Capellan March, Federated Suns
6th June 3111

Across the world of Liao there are eight terrorist strikes reaching from cyber attacks, to vehicle bombs and gun attacks.  The attacks cause mass casualties in several locations with riots following in several locations across the world.  The AFFS and MIIO move across the world to quell the disturbances that follow but the world is still a troubled one.

Thirty-Eighth Star League Games
Solaris VII, Isle of Skye
Lyran Commonwealth
14th June 3111

The Thirty-Eighth Star League Games begins on Solaris VII with the usual fan fair associated with the games that immediately predates the regular Solaris season.  With many state sponsored fighters involved in the battle the regular Solaris fighters generally avoided the battle but Dichen LeFranc chose to become involved.  Originally born in the Federated Suns and piloting a common Lyran Heavy BattleMech, the Falconer, LeFranc out manoeuvres his opponents and claims victory in the games leading to much speculation that he will do well in the coming season.

World War
Port Arthur, Twin Sons
District of Lenovo, Free Worlds League
19th June 3111

Looking at the screens Lt Colonel Petra Furey watched as the reports came in as the Northern States of Cameron Marik and the Allied States of John Marik pushed into the Badlands engaging each other.  “They are beginning a conflict that will engulf this world, Colonel” she said glancing at her immediate superior Colonel Timon Hanzo.

“Because they are afraid” Hanzo said looking at Petra “of what we are becoming.”   He said “deploy our garrison, have them hold at the outer marker and target anyone who comes near us.”

“We cannot hold against all of them.”

“Neg” Hanzo said agreeing with her while she was young she learned quickly and had a near fanatical support from their men.  He knew her bloodline and would not cross her but he would teach her all he knew “we will turn them against each other if this conflict continues for any length of time.”  He said “firstly we will protect this enclave and those we have sworn to protect then when the time is right we will make sure that they target the right places.”

“With the Streaking Mist?”

“Only if it comes to it, orbital bombardment will not be our first strategy” he said “we will not repeat Turtle Bay.  Instead we will allow their armies to destroy each other and then bring this world under a single governing body.”  He said Furey nodded her agreement with Hanzo.

Above Davetal III
Nova Cat territory
Taurian Concordat
23rd June 3111

Above the world of Davetal III aerospace fighters and DropShips fought and died as the Taurian Concordat launched a full offensive on the Nova Cat held territory deep within their nation.  With the attack on Sterope the Taurian government considered all Clansmen to be enemies of the state and were lashing out at their nearest opponents.  As the fighters fought specialist Taurian marines assaulted and boarded the Nova Cat Carrack-class Light in the Abyss.  Fighting against the mostly merchant crew on board the vessel the Taurians seize control of the vessel and then pilot the craft out of the system.

Although there was no ground battle between the Taurians and Nova Cats the Taurian attack without an official Trial or Batchall essentially is a declaration of war between the two factions.

Clan Territory
Glory, Kerensky Cluster
Clan Homeworlds
25th June 3111

Walking across the burned grass Khan Alex Lassenem approached the harbour front along with several other members of the Blood Spirit and Goliath Scorpion Clans.  At the waterfront Goliath Scorpion Khan Ingo Yeh stood watching as Clan Elementals escorted the Society crews of the three docked Whisperer-class Tactical Submarines from their ships.  “A great day” Alex said looking at the other Khan “Glory is ours today because of the joint efforts of our Clans.”

“Aff, Khan Lassenem I agree, interesting toys the Society built.”  He said indicating to the three submarines and the smaller escort craft.  For the last three weeks the Blood Spirits and Goliath Scorpions had hunted for them while they attacked Clan held positions but eventually all it took was for the Clans to close down on their remaining ground based contacts and wait them out until they ran out of food.

“Aff, but with their surrender the Society’s final hold is broken.”

“Until they return and fight us off or bombard us from space.”

“We have control over the SDS systems with the capture of the Caraxes it will give them further pause before attacking.”  He suggested Ingo Yeh nodded his agreement.

“Unfortunately, the Caraxes places another question…” he said he saw Alex begin to speak but he raised his hand slowly silencing him.  “Khan Lessenem the vessel is undoubtably a Blood Spirit asset, I will not argue this, my people had no hand in capturing it nor do we have the resources to crew it.”  He said “but you have to ask yourself how does a Mississippi-class vessel come to be in Society hands?  We know it was built here in the homeworlds but it was designed in the Inner Sphere where did they learn how to build her?”

“You are suggesting that the Inner Sphere Clans still have members of the Society within their ranks?”

“Aff, we may weaken the Society here but if they continue to thrive in the Inner Sphere this conflict could be a very long one.”

“We are here for the duration we will stop them completely.”  Alex Lassenem said confidently Glory would be the first of many such victories.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #980 on: 26 January 2018, 04:53:33 »
The Sceptre is really making itself a very wanted pirate.
I wonder if the NC will just take over the Taurians, just to stop the attacks. Sorry, clans, forget I said that. :D O0
« Last Edit: 26 January 2018, 17:05:13 by snakespinner »
Growing up is optional.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #981 on: 26 January 2018, 07:11:32 »
The Sceptre gone and done everyone wrong.  That will spectacular end of a pirate career!  Fantastic Update, Dragon Cat!
I hope things have gotten better in RL.

Yay longest surviving and most reliable source of Battletech stories!!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #982 on: 26 January 2018, 08:11:26 »
Eventually, the Sceptre will attrit away into non-existence as warriors and machines will be hard to replace. Once the Warship itself starts taking damage, her life expectancy will decrease drastically. All that she can really hope for is a glorious end
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #983 on: 27 January 2018, 04:37:03 »
So good to see this riding again and yeah the Spectre and her commander gone done goofed. The Taurians are going to hunt them like mad for this assault, if they are not too busy punching the Nova Cats and being punched by them in return.  Three warships (two under construction and one in service) lost along with a major shipyard, thats a huge strategic loss for the Taurians. 

I wonder if the free Clans in the Homeworlds will try get a message to those in the Inner Sphere somehow to go "So...you know that Society problem..you've got one too.  Might wanna look into that."

Would the IS Clans even listen or would it be a case of REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #984 on: 27 January 2018, 13:08:02 »
Taurians now got a hardon for clanners and well, The Spectre from what I can tell didn't say who they really were.  The Nova Cats well they are getting caught in the bloodfeud between the TC and the Clanner pirates who caused this issue.

And given the damage caused by the Spectre, when data gets out and it will, everyone one will be looking for them...  because they caused a mini Endor event with the shipyard and ships falling to the surface.  http://www.iflscience.com/space/death-star-iis-destruction-may-have-doomed-ewoks-say-scientists/  not that the death of Ewoks is bad

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #985 on: 27 January 2018, 13:17:23 »
Would the IS Clans even listen or would it be a case of  SC-REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Fixed that falcon theme for ya!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #986 on: 13 February 2018, 05:22:02 »
Thanks for all the support - another delayed update but here it is

Border conflict
Hagiwawa, Proserpina PDZ
Draconis March, Federated Suns
2nd July 3111

With Federated Suns naval units redeployed the DCMS launch a full assault on the worlds of Hagiwawa and Umijiri striking both worlds with several Ghost Regiments.  Each had been raised as a combined arms unit within the unit are several squads of Oni Battle Armour suits which make their debut for the DCMS.  The new medium sized battle suit proves itself superior to the AFFS suits it is facing and significantly helps in securing the two systems back for House Kurita.

Planetary assault
Davetal II, Star League Protectorate
Taurian Concordat
9th July 3111

The world of Davetal II which is protected by the Star League Defence Force gets caught in the crossfire between the Nova Cats and Taurian Concordat as the Nova Cats retaliate against the world making up for Taurian raids on Nova Cat forces by striking at the SLDF.  Committing all four clusters of Tau Galaxy along with significant naval assets.

With the Nova Cats able to secure air superiority over the planet quickly their ground forces are able to strike the Nineteenth Striker Regimental Brigade from multiple directions never letting the Eridani Light Horse warriors rest while being unable to fully concentrate their forces through fear that the Nova Cats could resort to naval support.  After nearly a week of heavy fighting a Land-Air Mech Regiment taken from the four Nineteenth Striker Regiments launches a direct assault against the Nova Cats Enchanter, a Tetrach-class Battle-cruiser crippling the vessel.  This attack destroys the LAM forces but also buys the Nineteenth time to escape the planet.  With the SLDF forces in retreat the Nova Cats allow them to leave instead securing full control over Davetal II and with it the rest of the system ending the lengthy truce which had split the system.

Welcome Parade, Unity Street
Unity City, North America
Terra, Star League Protectorate
19th July 3111

Despite losses in the Davetal system the world of Terra was in celebration as Exarch Victor Steiner-Davion arrived on Terra to assume his new position in leading the Star League Protectorate.  As a welcome the Royal Black Watch Division, the First Terran Regimental Guard Brigade and several of the Terra based trainees through the streets of Unity City, the capital of the Star League Protectorate, with all the pomp and ceremony that Victor had come to expect from the Great Houses.

From the parade Victor entered the main Star League Protectorate Administration building walking through what was once Bannister Cameron’s working office which was a room which was filled with traditional woods and comfortable seating and into a room that was completely different.  Instead of a traditional office with open windows overlooking Unity City’s skyline the room was dark and windowless with several floor positions and roof mounted projectors.  He stepped into the middle of the room and waited silently.  As the appointed time arrived the lights dimmed further and one of the floor projectors at Victor’s four o’clock position activated and the image of his son First Prince Burton Davion appeared as if he was in the same room Victor knew that in reality that Burton was dozens of light years away from him and still in the Federated Suns but the wonder of modern technology allowed him to appear in the same room.

“Exarch” Burton greeted him formally “it is good to see you are well.”  He said not long before Victor had been in a coma so just seeing his father was a joy to Burton, something that Victor too appreciated.  “I did not expect you to accept the position.”

“I helped form this League, I plan to ensure it succeeds beyond my life.”  He explained to his son as Archon Jessica Steiner appeared at the Lyran almost directly opposite Burton’s position.

“Gentlemen” she said greeting them warmly smiling before she could speak further the podium between them activated and the Draconis Combine’s leader Warlord Hirohito Kurita appeared.

“I am sorry to interrupt this family gathering” the Warlord said dispensing with any pretence of formality or respect.  Considering the current sate of the Draconis Combine-Federated Suns border Victor was not surprised.

“Not at all, all members of this council are welcome.”

“I do not understand the need for it…” Hirohito began only to be interrupted by the arrival of images of both Magetix Ilsa Centrella and Protector Erik Martens-Calderon the leaders of both periphery member states and then finally Captain General Joseph Marik.

“My apologies for my lateness” Joseph Marik said my son Isaiah Marik was born this morning.”  He said informing them of his newest arrival.

“That’s your sixth?”  Burton commented as he tried to remember how many children the Captain-General had.

“Seven” Victor corrected his son “congratulations Captain-General”

“Thank you, Exarch, I am glad to see you are looking well and were willing to step into fill the gap left by Bannister.”

“Not my plan Captain-General but I will what I must to ensure this League stays together” Victor said hearing the projectors whine slightly as the room drew more power ignoring it he continued “to this end we must elect another First Lord.  Bannister Cameron not only left a void in the Protectorate but also in this Council.”

“Perhaps the question should not be to elect a new First Lord but to have worlds turned back to their respective states…” Hirohito suggested

“And end this League?”  Burton challenged interrupting him “you do know that would mean an end to your nation.  Between the Clans and my Federated Suns…”

“You barely acknowledge this League exists” Hirohito snapped “your attacks continue on my nation…”

“And yours on mine!”

“This League must continue” Joseph Marik said passionately “I believe in this League and I believe in this council’s ability to mend the wounds that we have created.”  He said looking between the two leaders and then back at Victor “Exarch Steiner-Davion I do not believe we need another council meeting to progress with this League.”  He said pausing to look among the national leaders “Lord Bannister Cameron was voted to be First Lord of this Council we have already agreed privately that the Star League Protectorate would continue to carry the positon once another leader was selected.”  He said “only certain members of this Council have forced this vote.”  He said looking between Hirohito, Erik Martens-Calderon and Ilsa Centrella.  “Instead of hiding behind their desires for power they should support our decisions and continue to support SLDF operations which will improve our defence and Projects that will improve peoples lives.”  He said bringing down the other lords.

“I support the Exarch’s claim” Jessica Steiner said finding her voice

“As do I” Burton Davion said

“The Steiner-Davion Alliance continues!”  Hirohito Kurita almost screamed angrily “this is the Federated Commonwealth in everything but the name the Dragon will not allow this to stand.”

“This is nothing like the Federated Commonwealth if it were the Combine would be occupied!” Victor snapped back “Warlord, I for one will be happy to help broker a peace between your nation and the Federated Suns.”  He said seeing Burton’s slight shock “but I can only do so with the support of the Council and work from all sides.”  He said looking at everyone and down at a single empty podium “as First Lord I will make this Council whole again and bring the Capellan Confederation back into the fold and will reprioritize the SLDF to cancel the continued gains by the Clans but I cannot do this alone I need the support of this council.”

“I support the Exarch” Joseph Marik said before another could speak

“You have my support father.”

“I agree to support Victor as First Lord” Jessica Steiner agreed

“The Magistracy will watch the developments but we currently support Exarch Davion.”

“The Concordat will not stand in the First Lord’s path however we request immediate assistance with Clan Nova Cat who threaten our borders.”

“After they started a war…” Burton added

“Thank you, First Prince Davion” Victor said glancing at the Taurian leader “the SLDF is assessing what is needed for that conflict Protector.”

“Then you have my support” he said leaving Hirohito Kurita to vote

“Your actions will determine my nation’s support favourism towards the Federated Suns or Lyran Commonwealth may damage my ability to continue to support.”

“I understand” Victor said the Warlord’s name could easily counter any loss of support there was in the Combine population but he kept quiet.

“Then you have my support and the support of the Draconis Combine, First Lord.”  He said almost immediately cutting the link quickly the other national leaders cut their links leaving only Burton, Joseph and Victor.

“Sire, while I did not want to speak at the entire council has your position changed regarding my nation’s stance?”  Burton asked mindful of his words in front of Joseph.

“No, you are a strong leader son, I know you will make the right choices for our people.”

“Thank you, we will speak soon I am sure pass to mother my love.” He said leaving the conference.

“Children” Joseph said getting Victor’s attention

“Yes, they are our future Captain-General.”

“I completely agree Exarch, I wish to extend an invitation to you and your wife to Marik at your earliest convenience.  We would like to increase our links to the Protectorate and help in making it stronger.”

“Thank you Captain-General we will do what we can.”  Victor said “again my congratulations on your recent arrival.”

“Thank you, First Lord, good day.”  He said cutting the link leaving Victor alone.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #987 on: 13 February 2018, 08:26:57 »
Family, huh?
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #988 on: 13 February 2018, 10:21:58 »
Very good update as always, seems 'ol Victor's still trying to help fight off the Clans.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #989 on: 13 February 2018, 20:57:52 »
Victor want to kick the Clan... somethings never change

Register