Author Topic: Mech of the Week - Stooping Hawk  (Read 20281 times)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
Re: Mech of the Week - Stooping Hawk
« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2016, 20:06:49 »
Is that cockpit in the groin?

Talk about using your mech's head. ;D

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2016, 20:23:56 »
no, your thinking of Zone of Enders (I'm a fan of Yoji Shinkawa's art and designs but WTH man! )
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2016, 00:23:29 »
Is that cockpit in the groin?

Talk about using your mech's head. ;D

The Predator was the Mech with the groinpit - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/4/4e/Predator.jpg
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #33 on: 15 May 2016, 08:42:25 »
The Predator was the Mech with the groinpit - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/4/4e/Predator.jpg
....does that look like the torso twist assembly is *above* the cockpit?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #34 on: 15 May 2016, 09:14:54 »
....does that look like the torso twist assembly is *above* the cockpit?

Yes. Yes it is.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #35 on: 15 May 2016, 12:09:05 »
Yes. Yes it is.
Well now, that is like the quad mech where you have to change your legs direction to change your cockpit's view!
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 15 May 2016, 15:10:37 »
So it's still head-mounted then. ;)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 15 May 2016, 16:25:03 »
I have devised a handy test for whether a 'Mech has a torso-mounted cockpit.

Can you see the cockpit?  If yes, it's not torso-mounted.  If no, it's probably torso-mounted.  It's not where on the 'Mech's anatomy it is, it's how many and what kind of layers are between the pilot and the outside.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #38 on: 15 May 2016, 17:02:16 »
By that method, nothing has a torso mounted cockpit.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 15 May 2016, 17:11:26 »
Lol, not even the Gotterkillitwithfire!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 15 May 2016, 17:19:44 »
By that method, nothing has a torso mounted cockpit.

By that method, no one is arguing over whether something "should" have one.  This makes my method superior, because that argument is annoying.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #41 on: 15 May 2016, 17:47:15 »

*Blink*

How the Hell did I miss THAT?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #42 on: 15 May 2016, 21:14:05 »
By that method, no one is arguing over whether something "should" have one.  This makes my method superior, because that argument is annoying.

Works for me.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #43 on: 15 May 2016, 21:39:11 »
*Blink*

You aimed too high.  ^-^
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #44 on: 16 May 2016, 07:31:54 »
*Blink*

Well it's a Mandrill Mech so who cares? 
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #45 on: 16 May 2016, 08:59:29 »
Moving away from crotch mounted cockpits and related puns, I could see the Snow Ravens using some of these. They were the Spirit's only trading partners for a long time after all. And the requirements for low-cost resources fit in with the Ravens methodology too.

Of course the fact that the Ravens gave the Spirits two Galaxies of ground-pounders argues against the Stooping Hawk being used in the Raven touman, but it's still a nice thought.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #46 on: 16 May 2016, 10:26:10 »
I agree- with their ties to the Bears as well, the Hawk would be great for the Ravens to start building.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 16 May 2016, 14:13:02 »
They're mediums and they're cheap, so the Ravens definitely wouldn't mind them (although to be fair I like most Spirit designs). That said I don't know if the Ravens have the production capacity for them right now, which is sad. Any donations of production facilities will be gratiously accepted!
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #48 on: 16 May 2016, 14:27:57 »
Convince the Outworlds gov to convert the Merlin factory.
Colt Ward

Elcor05

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 16 May 2016, 14:44:37 »
Convince the Outworlds gov to convert the Merlin factory.

The Govt is struggling to find money to pay for all of the 'mechs and things already being built. And for SOME reason the Outworlds gov doesn't want their workers to work for free, which I just don't understand.
"Meekness: Uncommon patience in planning a revenge that is worth while." - Ambrose Bierce

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #50 on: 16 May 2016, 17:32:18 »
Moving away from crotch mounted cockpits and related puns, I could see the Snow Ravens using some of these. They were the Spirit's only trading partners for a long time after all. And the requirements for low-cost resources fit in with the Ravens methodology too.

Of course the fact that the Ravens gave the Spirits two Galaxies of ground-pounders argues against the Stooping Hawk being used in the Raven touman, but it's still a nice thought.

First, you're forgetting the Sharks.  The Spirits disliked them, but were forced to swallow their pride and utilize Shark trading services because they'll provide anything to anyone.  Secondly, the Ravens handed off two galaxies worth of standard BattleMechs that they had in storage.  Honestly, most of that was probably mothballed SLDF-era gear (there are a LOT of SLDF 'Mechs on the Spirits RATs, for example).  This is an OmniMech, not an old Black Knight.  And besides, if the Bears will use it, then I can't find a reason why the Ravens wouldn't.  After all, the Bears were allies with both the Sharks and Ravens. . .

If only the Spirits had managed to secure an alliance with those three, maybe they'd have made it to the Inner Sphere and survived the WoR.  Oh well.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 09 February 2018, 06:04:51 »
I think it's telling that both this and several Crimson L variants are credible battle-taxis. That, right there, is ample motivation to build omnimechs.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 07 March 2018, 19:42:40 »
First, you're forgetting the Sharks.  The Spirits disliked them, but were forced to swallow their pride and utilize Shark trading services because they'll provide anything to anyone.  Secondly, the Ravens handed off two galaxies worth of standard BattleMechs that they had in storage.  Honestly, most of that was probably mothballed SLDF-era gear (there are a LOT of SLDF 'Mechs on the Spirits RATs, for example).  This is an OmniMech, not an old Black Knight.  And besides, if the Bears will use it, then I can't find a reason why the Ravens wouldn't.  After all, the Bears were allies with both the Sharks and Ravens. . .

If only the Spirits had managed to secure an alliance with those three, maybe they'd have made it to the Inner Sphere and survived the WoR.  Oh well.

I am curious how the negotiations between the spirits and the sharks would have gone... do you think the spirits always came off as rude and above the sharks?

Did their warrior pride make them trial for everything rather than “ lower “ themselves for to trade

Would

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 07 March 2018, 23:12:02 »
I am curious how the negotiations between the spirits and the sharks would have gone...

Judging by the short story in Total Warfare, I imagine it went something along the lines of "I bid two Stars for the right to set the terms for this contract, what negotiators oppose me?" ;)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #54 on: 07 March 2018, 23:35:40 »
Well, towards the end the Sharks and Spirits must have been pretty cozy . . . its how they got the ability to build designs like the Crimson Hawk, Morrigu & variants, protos and the Acadia dropship.  It would also explain all the new Warhammer IIC, Phoenix Hawk IIC and other standard mechs the Sharks put out in a burst of production before they left that ended up in Spirit hands.
Colt Ward

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 13 March 2018, 18:18:26 »
Weight is not the prime consideration for what role a 'Mech fills. Speed, armor, and weaponry brackets are.

By that measure, the Stooping Hawk is... not a medium, but a heavy cavalry, so it deserves to be compared to 'Mechs like the Gargoyle, Timber Wolf, Summoner, rather than its nominal weight equals - and can't do the quite the same jobs as an Ice Ferret or Stormcrow or Dragonfly.

The Stooping Hawk compares well to those much heavier 'Mechs - unlike the Nova, which is strictly worse. It's almost frightening, actually, and shows how slim the gains can be for poorly designed high-weight, high-speed 'Mechs.  I mean, it only loses 5.5 tons of warload (DHS, armor, podspace) compared to a Summoner, and leverages its configurations much more wisely.

Sadly, in Alpha Strike it isn't quite unique, and the aforementioned heavier designs benefit from the greater abstraction, so I have to think, "Do I want to get another heavy cav member for my already-overstuffed heavy cav Star (Timberwolf, Gargoyle, Executioner, Naga, Summoner), or do I pick another high-speed omni to finish off my strike Supernova? Hello, Stormcrow, you are really, REALLY good even here... and Ice Ferret, you come in at a strange cutoff for armor conversion that suited you quite nicely..."

Register