Author Topic: (Answered UPDATED) Small Support VTOLs and Strafing Runs  (Read 2366 times)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Can a small support VTOL make a strafing run with small energy weapons mounted on it, like a Mauser 1200 LSS?

Relevant rules on pg 107 of Tactical Operations for VTOLs using strafing runs, and pg 243 of total warfare for normal strafing attacks.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Small Support VTOLs and Strafing Runs
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2016, 19:31:03 »
Yes.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Re: (Answered) Small Support VTOLs and Strafing Runs
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2016, 22:51:09 »
As a followup to this question and Daryk's one about infantry strafing (because I know you are absolutely not tired of this line of questions yet  ;D )...

Can battle armor with VTOL movement (or any other unit that might be using VTOL movement, but isn't a VTOL) use any of the options, like strafing, that are available to normal VTOLs, while they are using said VTOL movement? TM pg. 164 starts the rules for making a battle armor with non-ground movement, and on PG 165 it says:

the Vertical Take-Off and Landing system enables battle armor so equipped to move as a VTOL.

But it doesn't say they can attack as a VTOL. I know bombing runs are restricted to only if they have a bomb rack.

Further, from the Daryk's question, does the "infantry cannot strafe" ruling include the mechanized VTOL infantry on TO pg. 324 I was thinking it was a trade off of no antimech attacks in exchange for the ability to strafe, while the extra speed was a trade-off for lower squad size and restricted support weapons.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2016, 15:05:17 »
Be advised we discovered some oddities and old rulings and we're reviewing the whole topic again.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2016, 15:06:41 »
I will stay tuned for more updates. Thanks for the work you do on these rules!

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2017, 16:56:43 »
Okay, this took a while, but VTOL Strafing is being removed from the rules (for any and all VTOLs and units with VTOL movement) entirely.  This year's upcoming errata will reeflect this change.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2017, 17:26:37 by Xotl »