Author Topic: LEGO BattleMechs  (Read 10837 times)

Mech Salvager

• Private
LEGO BattleMechs
« on: 04 September 2016, 14:19:37 »

I’ve always been a fan of LEGO, and as I started getting into BattleTech after getting a bunch of the videogames, it only seemed obvious that I try to combine the two hobbies.

The first result of this idea:

The good old AS7-D. It was an obvious choice…why not start with one of the biggest and most iconic BattleMechs?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2365_zpsaoct50v5.jpg
I used CamoSpecs a lot for reference pictures, as it was back before I got my boxsets and miniatures.

I tried making it as articulated as possible. This makes it a lot more interesting to pose…but sadly a lot more fragile too, but such is the nature of compromises.

The Atlas was soon followed by more though, and it was not hard to decide what the next ‘mech would be.

The AWS-8Q Awesome. Ever since I played with it in the demo to MechWarrior 4: Vengeance a long time ago, it, and its PPC’s, has remained square among my favorites.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2374_zpsyugw54aa.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2375_zpsuntya1in.jpg
This was a lot harder to build than the Atlas. In particular, it was hard making something resembling the shoulders of the Awesome.

Again, articulation is important to me, so they’re not just solid bricks.

And we can’t have an Awesome without the almost inevitable consequence of it seeing heavy action: HEAT EXCEEDING RECOMMENDED LEVEL, EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN SEQUENCE INITIATED.

Here we have the two together, for a size comparison.

I do have a lot more built, but I don’t want to spam them all at once. So, I’m probably going to post the rest of them with time, stay tuned.

PS. I think this belongs in Fan Art, but feel free to move it if I'm wrong.  :)

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
Re: LEGO BattleMechs
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2016, 15:27:21 »
Nicely done!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2016, 17:39:29 »
First - awesome! And Awesome - even better! :)

Second, look for the BrickCommander website. There's a lot of other folk out there with the same thought. Warning - it looks like a potentially expensive addiction.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2016, 23:28:47 »
The BrickCommander site is certainly interesting, lots of neat designs there it looks like. And yes…both BattleTech and LEGO can be expensive hobbies in the first place, so combining them is unlikely to make it any less costly, heh.

Anyway…back to the BattleMechs:

The CPLT-C1 Catapult, another old classic.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2405_zpsqb3gwj5q.jpg

I’m really pleased with the body form on this one, it took quite a while to figure out how to build too.

One can make all kinds of fun by making accessories for the mechs, maybe I should make a city landscape for them to fight in sometime.

Continuing the trend of odd body shapes: The Raven.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2511_zps9mgm31x1.jpg

Again, the body was the hard part, especially the nose of the Raven.

This was my original goal, to build a lance of BattleMechs. In time I kinda went beyond that…but that’s something for the next post.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2016, 00:09:37 »
These are superb! :) :) :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

BradGB

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2016, 02:43:46 »
yes they are great  O0
and I really like that Cata...little bit difficult to see this Black in Black, but leg and torso movable  [drool]

Spinosapper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2016, 23:54:48 »
They look great.  Amazing work!  O0

"Whoever said, 'never shoot a man in the back' never saw the front of a Hunchback."

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2016, 00:30:28 »
At last!!! That was Awesome, and Catapulted me into a new appreciation for Legos. I'll be Raven about this to all my Lego friends ;)

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2016, 00:53:48 »
At last!!! That was Awesome, and Catapulted me into a new appreciation for Legos. I'll be Raven about this to all my Lego friends ;)
Agreed, though I wish I had a pun to follow this up other than they're all Awesome!! Keep up the good work.
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2016, 10:58:17 »
Right, let us get beyond that Inner Sphere Lance, and what better way to do that than clan ‘mechs?

The Timber Wolf. One of the few ‘mechs I never got really satisfied with.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2528_zps19gggkpz.jpg

The cockpit looks kinda wrong and too long, and some other minor proportions bug me too, but there are good things too. The arms proved useful, as they were easy to build more of.

Size comparison. It got a bit big too, but that’s not too bad. It can be hard to correctly scale things in LEGO.

The Timber Wolf was not alone for long though:

The Summoner. Now this one I’m much more satisfied with. It should also be easy to spot why I was glad I could build more arms like the one on the Timber Wolf.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2595_zpsbfrsaqnb.jpg

The colours were a bit of a compromise, as I didn’t have enough bricks to make it fully green.

Size comparison. Again…the Timber Wolf looks a tad too large.

I still have more ‘mechs to show, and since the last project was a lance, people might be able to guess what the goal for this project was.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2016, 17:48:23 »
This, sir, is most excellent! Keep up the good work!

I'm assuming you either a) don't have kids and can afford an extensive lego collection, or b) have kids who are Trialling you over access to their lego supplies ;)

I'm particularly fond of the Summoner. Now you need some Elementals - IIRC there's a scuba diver or space backpack which can mount a couple of over-the-shoulder missiles (the cone 1x1 tips)!

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2016, 18:03:51 »
VERY nicely done! O0

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2016, 21:32:49 »
Great work.  These are amazing.  O0

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 18 September 2016, 10:17:12 »
Alright, on with the rest of the star:

The Hellbringer. This one was easy to build. The legs, pelvis and arms were already designed after all.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2606_zps96e59b32.jpg

As movable as all the others of course.

Now, this has all been clan heavy ‘mechs, so I figured it was time to branch out from that:

The Kit Fox. Light ‘mechs are always a little harder to build, as you don’t have as much space for design solutions.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2614_zpsfhtxvvmn.jpg

Now, looking closer at the Kit Fox, it might not actually be able to twist its torso, but I blame MechCommander for me giving it the ability anyway.

Size comparison.

We’ve still got one more to go of the clan star, so that and more is coming up.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 18 September 2016, 11:13:26 »
Should the Kit Fox really be that small...? It's ~45% of the weight of the heavies, not ~45% of the height!

Beautiful builds anyway! :)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2016, 13:09:25 »
Oh that Kit Fox! I will love it and hug it and call it George!

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2016, 19:31:23 »
Oh that Kit Fox! I will love it and hug it and call it George!

[stupid]

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2016, 13:15:06 »
Yeah, the Kit Fox is kinda small. I tend to exaggerate the proportions a little, just to make the difference more clear. It’s not helped that scaling up or down a little in LEGO is hard. Scaling from 4 to 5 wide…hard, as many bricks only come in even numbers, from 4 to 6 is much easier.
Anyway, on to more ‘mechs. I still kept away from the clan heavy ‘mech:

But this time, I went bigger. The Dire Wolf, I think this one turned out rather well.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2659_zpsz3arbwa2.jpg

I used the best LEGO joints available…so as it wouldn’t collapse on itself.

Finally, the completed clan star.

Well, with both a lance and a star completed, why not go a little further and make it a full company together?

Next I went with another medium ‘mech: 

An old classic, the good old Hunchback.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2680_zps19674e47.jpg

I think the AC/20 got a little big, but again, scaling is hard.

Size comparison.

That was 10 ‘mechs done, and of course, since I was aiming for a company, at least another two are coming up.

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2016, 03:52:23 »
Right, on with the last two ’mechs of the company:

The Shadow Cat. I hadn’t built a clan medium ‘mech yet, so this seemed rather obvious.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2703_zpsgslbcab2.jpg

Making it walk can be a bit hard. The chicken leg configuration is much harder on the joints.

Size comparison. Yes, the size differences are still a bit exaggerated, but I have complained about scaling in LEGO before.

For the next one I wanted something a bit more special. I couldn’t think of a ‘mech that would make it that different, but perhaps if I used the colours right.

The Warhammer. I sure am glad there isn’t a rule 8 anymore.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_2718_zpsrki6gdbq.jpg

I don’t think I need to explain the colour scheme. It’s was surprisingly easy to make actually.

Size comparison. The Warhammer turned out a bit small.

And the entire company at once, clan on one side, Inner Sphere on the other.

I still couldn’t keep myself from going on though, so more ‘mechs might be coming up.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 02 October 2016, 06:28:19 »
These are seriously brilliant :) You're wonderfully creative!

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 12 October 2016, 13:51:57 »
Thank you all for the comments. Alright though, even with the company done, I didn’t stop. So, onwards to more ‘mechs.

The Wolfhound. This one came around because I watched the Battletech cartoon.

Not sure I’m entirely satisfied with the head, but it is a compromise between two different designs. I should probably just have stuck with one of them.

The next ‘mech I built was another clan medium ‘mech:

The Stormcrow. I’ve always liked fielding this one, and I like the design, so it was pretty obvious.

This one I’m pretty satisfied with looks-wise, but it turned out a little fragile.

Stay tuned, there are still more ‘mechs to come.

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #21 on: 20 November 2016, 14:06:10 »
Right, seems I forgot about actually posting the remaining ’mechs, time to rectify that!

The TBT-5S Trebuchet in all of its blueness.

This one actually has a small story behind it. One of the players, in the MechWarrior RPG I’m the GM for, was from the Free Rasalhague Republic and piloted a Trebuchet. When he died horribly to pirates from the Greater Valkyrate, I decided to build myself a trophy, which resulted in this. I wanted to do that for further players who died, but it didn’t prove feasible in the long run (I had already built an Atlas when someone got killed in theirs).

On to the next ‘mech.

The good old COM-2D Commando. I was never really satisfied with the head on this one, but I have no idea how to give it more detail.

Atleast the colours turned out like I wanted them to.

Right, that was two more down. The rest will follow soon hopefully!

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #22 on: 22 November 2016, 20:44:29 »

Same here!

Great work Mech Salvager!

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #23 on: 07 December 2016, 11:10:17 »
Alright, let’s get the last ones I have for now out of the way.

The first new ‘mech:

…wait, I already covered the commando. Then why….oh!

Atleast it got a nice burial. Anyway, the Highlander IIC.

A slightly better look at it.

And on to the last ‘mech :

It’s Buzz Lightyear! It’s the good old Griffin.

And it’s as movable as ever.

Well, that was all the ‘mechs I had for now, but I might make more in the future. For now I’ll just say thank for all the feedback and compliments. Oh, right, almost forgot one thing, the mosaic my avatar is based on:

It was just a quick project, so nothing is measured out, that is why a few of the proportions look a tad wonky. 

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #24 on: 14 December 2016, 15:51:50 »
Those are awesome nice job.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 December 2016, 16:34:56 »
Amazing work! :) :)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #26 on: 04 February 2017, 05:06:53 »
Just discovered this thread, and wanted to say, excellent work. Those are amazing!
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #27 on: 26 February 2017, 11:10:06 »
Right, back again! It’s been long I know, but suddenly, I felt the need to build a bit again. The fact that I just bought Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries might have something to do with it. Also, thank you all for the comments, they really are appreciated.

Like an angel from above, it descends bringing light and fire. The UZL-2S Uziel, one of my favorite designs from the time after the Clan Invasion.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/Runamuckpictures/IMG_1018_zpsakyjvbgz.jpg
Back view. I actually made sure to give it jumpjets.

It’s as movable as all the others. The Uziel is a little odd in that regard, as it seems to have more leg joints than most.

Size comparison, I think it turned out rather nicely.

I’ll see if I can keep this up, so hopefully, more is to come!

Mech Salvager

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2017, 14:51:29 »
Well, I didn’t feel like building a ’mech this weekend. Being a bit short on time, I settled for something a bit more basic…or should I say elemental?

Clan elemental battlearmor. I’ve had the idea floating around quite a while now, but only made a reality of it now.

But one can’t just settle for one, after all, a point of elementals are five. This did make it a little tougher to build; as I needed to be sure I had parts for all of them.

Size comparison. I’m quite proud of how compact it ended up being.

I did want to do an action shot, but the camera ran out of power. So that might come later. Hopefully, more builds will come soon too.