Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 156000 times)

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #450 on: 16 February 2018, 16:59:31 »
it's not just you.  I definitely spotted a Timber Wolf, the Mad Dog I'm less sure of but the Timber Wolf was unmistakeable.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #451 on: 16 February 2018, 23:13:27 »
Don't really see it

« Last Edit: 16 February 2018, 23:33:02 by Kidd »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #452 on: 19 February 2018, 20:14:51 »
Hard to make out, the 2nd image almost looks like a Ryoken / Stormcrow
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #453 on: 19 February 2018, 20:23:27 »
Very generic mecha. I don't think they're supposed to be from anything in particular.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #454 on: 20 February 2018, 00:27:52 »
Started watching Babylon 5 and I am LOVING IT! [drool]

Just started season 2 and I have watched the movies Gathering and In the Beginning so far. A little out of order, I know; but I wanted to see how things started.

Season 1 is okay, but as folks have said season 2 - 4 are where it shined, and whilst its CGI have certinally aged, the acting, and makeup/prosthetics have not.  B5 was a show that lived because of two things IMO.  The overarching story and meta-plot, and the caliber of its actors and how their characters sparked and interacted.  It took DS9 a good few years to get that right, mainly due to the power trio of Miles, Julian and Garak, with a healthy dose of Quark thrown in there too.  Babylon 5 had that spark of character interaction from day one, and it was thanks to the amazing actors that helped pull it off.

And of course JMS's magnificent script :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #455 on: 20 February 2018, 03:48:59 »
Season 1 is okay, but as folks have said season 2 - 4 are where it shined, and whilst its CGI have certinally aged, the acting, and makeup/prosthetics have not.  B5 was a show that lived because of two things IMO.  The overarching story and meta-plot, and the caliber of its actors and how their characters sparked and interacted.  It took DS9 a good few years to get that right, mainly due to the power trio of Miles, Julian and Garak, with a healthy dose of Quark thrown in there too.  Babylon 5 had that spark of character interaction from day one, and it was thanks to the amazing actors that helped pull it off.

And of course JMS's magnificent script :)
gkar lando sheridan dlen vir lneer where the ones that made the show shine
andreas katsulas and peter jurasic these 2 made the show above the rest and still the best
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #456 on: 21 February 2018, 11:23:07 »
Saw Black Panther yesterday and thought it was really good!!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #457 on: 21 February 2018, 15:24:20 »
Watched The Foreigner yesterday. It was pretty good and one of Jackie Chan's best films
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #458 on: 21 February 2018, 18:56:31 »
Saw Black Panther yesterday and thought it was really good!!

You were not assaulted?
 >:D

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #459 on: 22 February 2018, 21:23:56 »
very rarely i like a sequel...most are trash...but daddys home 2 was not too bad
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #460 on: 23 February 2018, 01:01:39 »
Only the brave.  The film based on the Granite Mountain Hotshots..  LOVED IT!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #461 on: 23 February 2018, 11:32:35 »
Thor Ragnarok - OK this entertaining but with all the hype was expecting more comedy.  I'll look forward to the next one since I like this Thor guy. 

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #462 on: 23 February 2018, 12:19:02 »
ok being sick as i am i get bored easly...just found this on vhs  zone troopers (1985) and biggles adventures in time last role for peter cushing

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #463 on: 25 February 2018, 21:04:09 »
unlike the title suggests eyeborgs is a bit of a what if situation gone bad in reality...bit of b grade type movie but more thought provoking than scary

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #464 on: 25 February 2018, 23:36:25 »
Well the GF & I saw Black Panther yesterday.
We both rather enjoyed it. And I'll admit to a couple of things I rarely ever say about going to the movies nowadays: I would see Black Panther in the Theater again, even at full evening prices. It was that enjoyable.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #465 on: 26 February 2018, 03:22:30 »
ok i had not seen this one in years still gives me a chuckle star wreck the pirking...
and i was fortunate to get the first ones from the series

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #466 on: 28 February 2018, 05:05:46 »
I watched John Wick with my father, who had never seen it. We enjoyed it immensely, and dad watched the second one the night after. I don't like the second one as much. :-P

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #467 on: 28 February 2018, 09:48:16 »
Keep on watching Charlie Wilson's War. It's slow enough but with great acting form Philip Seymour Hoffman makes the movie enjoyable.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #468 on: 28 February 2018, 13:13:33 »
I watched John Wick with my father, who had never seen it. We enjoyed it immensely, and dad watched the second one the night after. I don't like the second one as much. :-P

Well there is no pussyfooting around in the second one.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #469 on: 28 February 2018, 14:04:51 »
Wolf Warriors.  It is a 2015 Chinese version of a 1980's American Blow-em-up movie.  Wu Jing, who directs as well as stars as Leng Feng, is charismatic and does his own stunts so he comes across like a mix of Tom Cruise and Jackie Chan.  It is a fun movie, but it is fascinating watching the jingoism of, say, Rambo 2 coming from the other end of the sociopolitical structure.  Rather than a soldier becoming a singular badass, you have a singular badass becoming part of an army.   In a western action film, you have an army chasing an elite team of soldiers.  This has the same, but the Chinese army is the protagonist. (They do a great job of focusing on Chinese nationalism while avoiding any political implications.)  What is also interesting is how in this film computer security and penetration is as important as they physical, with a somewhat realistic scene of intrusion and counter, during a battle.  (Well, a war game, but they treat it very seriously.)

On the bad guys side, you have Scott Adkins as Tom Cat (which I kept hearing as "Top Hat," which strikes fear in the hearts of no one,) as a British former SEAL team member (possible, just go with it,) and his team of mercenaries, who are perfect.  They show up, stepping from beside trees and out of a river, dressed in blue jeans, baseball caps, t-shirts, and obviously western-style load bearing gear.  All they are missing is NRA t-shirts and "Sweet Home Alabama."  Making them mercenaries in the hire of a Chinese criminal gives Wu Jing the ability to fight Americans without going to war with America. Adkins is good, and his fight with Wu Jing (where Wu Jing uses the special power of patriotism,) is a nice capper.

There is a story, about a drug lord who may have a weaponized super flu sending his mercenaries to take vengeance on the soldier who killed his brother while said soldier is in the middle of a military exercise, but don't let that get in the way of a lot of fun. Oh, and a fight with CGI wolves, for some reason.  It is a blast.

Also caught Wolf Warrior 2, which was the sixth-largest grossing film of 2017 regardless of having almost no showings in the US.  It is as big, as goofy, with less army and more Leng Feng saving civilians on his own, this time in an unnamed African nation, while still keeping the "China's Army Will Save You!" vibe.  (That is a paraphrase of the final epigraph of the movie, by the by.)  It doesn't have CGI wolves, but it does have a tank fight, something sorely lacking in most American films.  Also  Frank Grillo is named "Big Daddy" to continue the kick ass villains with underwhelming names.

I suggest both films. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #470 on: 28 February 2018, 15:05:49 »
They show up, stepping from beside trees and out of a river, dressed in blue jeans, baseball caps, t-shirts, and obviously western-style load bearing gear.

I know what you mean by "load bearing gear," but the image of them walking out of the trees with decorative columns strapped to their backs passed through my head when I read that.

Also caught Wolf Warrior 2, which was the sixth-largest grossing film of 2017 regardless of having almost no showings in the US.

It's amazing just how big China's movie market has gotten in the last decade.  IIRC, it's really helped the success of the Transformers films.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #471 on: 28 February 2018, 15:11:03 »
I know what you mean by "load bearing gear," but the image of them walking out of the trees with decorative columns strapped to their backs passed through my head when I read that.

It's amazing just how big China's movie market has gotten in the last decade.  IIRC, it's really helped the success of the Transformers films.

There is more money in China than you can imagine. 

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #472 on: 28 February 2018, 18:24:23 »
China's movie money is enough that a lot of the American studios create China-only scenes.  Iron Man 3 had some, as I remember, some of it blatant advertising.   But yeah, it is the new frontier.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #473 on: 28 February 2018, 19:48:31 »
Just finished watching "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" (been feeling nostalgic for Gene Wilder lately).

I never realized it till now...but that movie is basically "SAW" for kids... o.O

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #474 on: 28 February 2018, 20:18:41 »
China's movie money is enough that a lot of the American studios create China-only scenes.  Iron Man 3 had some, as I remember, some of it blatant advertising.   But yeah, it is the new frontier.

The place is something.  I'm there about once a month

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #475 on: 28 February 2018, 20:38:51 »
The place is something.  I'm there about once a month

Which part are you headed to?

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #476 on: 28 February 2018, 22:48:17 »
Which part are you headed to?

It changes all the time but recently it has been:

Hong Kong/Shenzhen/Dongguan area
Shanghai area
Qingdao/Weifang area

In December also hit Taipei and Hanoi

:o

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #477 on: 28 February 2018, 23:50:13 »
Just watch out for the Walled City.  That place is so scary, Insect Spirits get mugged.

Seriously, though, sounds like an interesting trip, even if it sounds like you're mostly going to be conducting business.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #478 on: 01 March 2018, 00:28:10 »
Darkest Hour was interesting, but I'd bet it played fast and loose with WW2 fact. Frankly i just watched it for Old Man Oldman and Lily James.

Valerian springs to mind. And a lot of token casting inserts. As a Chinese guy (though not from PRC) I would say it does NOT help the movies.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #479 on: 01 March 2018, 00:40:59 »
Did a rewatch of the Dolph/Vandamme Universal soldier, and man did they really miss out on some good stuff they could have delved into..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.