Author Topic: Getting Mechwarrior 2 to play?  (Read 2125 times)

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
Getting Mechwarrior 2 to play?
« on: 09 October 2016, 14:12:55 »
Heya, so I recently dug out my copy of Mercenaries (Titanium Edition), and I was wondering how to get it working again. I found an older PC with Window's XP loaded on to it, and it loads up fine, but the trouble comes when I install and click play on the main menu; I can click 'play', and when I do, It'll say that it's initiating, but the problem is that it crashes a second or so after that.

Any advice?
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

elf25s

• Major
Re: Getting Mechwarrior 2 to play?
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2016, 09:47:42 »
try following it seems to work most times
right click the icon and switch display size to something smaller and reduce color pallet.
also i got it to work in0 windows 7 ultimate by running it in windows 95 compatibility mode and reducing the size and color pallet
if that fails try dos box it work but makes you jump through hoops sometimes and only keyboard works most times
good luck
also check earlier posts in this section
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2016, 23:54:37 »
try following it seems to work most times
right click the icon and switch display size to something smaller and reduce color pallet.
also i got it to work in0 windows 7 ultimate by running it in windows 95 compatibility mode and reducing the size and color pallet
if that fails try dos box it work but makes you jump through hoops sometimes and only keyboard works most times
good luck
also check earlier posts in this section
Never thought of resizing the display size, thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get Titanium Edition working so I've ordered a copy of the standard version in the hopes that it'll work better in compatability mode.

koraq

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2016, 08:15:07 »
Isn't that a DOS game? You might have better luck with dosbox.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2016, 04:15:30 »
This site has a lot of useful info on the Mechwarrior 2 series: http://www.mech2.org/forum/index.php

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2017, 22:11:14 »
Small update: I've gotten my copy of Mech2 and I've tried to change some various settings via the command prompt, and I've gotten a different error than what I had before. I then read on Mech2.org that the original error that I had was the one that I needed to get in order for it to work, so I've done a Windows reinstall, and I've gotten back to that original error.

When I run the installer, it allows me to go through the process, and it asks me to create a boot disk for the game as I supposedly didn't have enough storage. My XP machine doesn't have a floppy disk drive, so I was debating picking this external one up off of Ebay.

Does anyone have experience with these? Will it work as a substitute A: drive?

Thanks, and as always, any comment or thoughts welcome!

Register