Author Topic: Dollar Store Plastic Crack - Little Green Army Men Nostalgia!  (Read 917 times)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
So, NeonKnight's new avatar (in addition to being a great Folgers pun) has sent me on a bit of nostalgia trip remembering the good summer afternoons spent cooling off inside by making epic (at least in my mind!) mock battles out of my respectable quantity of plastic soldiers. At least, until I got bored and decided both sides had to form an uneasy truce to fight off the Autobot-Dinosaur-Alien Alliance, of course!

I used to have a fair amount of the old TimMee figures, if my memory serves me correctly. The poses certainly match up... as does the quality. Still, even as a little squirt, I enjoyed the emphasis on radio men, crew-served weapons, and mortars; that, along with the nicely-scaled and play-worthy vehicles that I adored really started to get those combined-arms gears turning in my stupid, prepubescent brain. That, and their hard-fought victories over that Autodinolien menace served as a potent reminder that a well-coordinated conventional force can always triumph over 'Mech forces with a bad plan and unreliable allies ;D

Also appreciated the olive-and-tan sets. Too many sets either only had green soldiers with no way of indicating sides, or put green soldiers up against some god-awful neon-blue soldiers or something (though it looks like some of the later TimMee sets would end up doing this... meh). It was nice, and allowed them to look about as convincing as cheap toy soldiers could on my jury-rigged terrains. I almost wish cameras were more prevalent back then, I would have snapped some pics worth sharing!

And, of course, like any kid's toy soldier set, it had soldiers doing that goofy overhead bayonet stab pose. The one that makes no sense and half the time just ends up making the figure really top-heavy. I don't think I've ever seen a single toy soldier manufacturer that doesn't produce at least one variant of this pose.

Anyways, feel free to share nostalgia, help each other find old sets, et cetera.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
Re: Dollar Store Plastic Crack - Little Green Army Men Nostalgia!
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2022, 13:03:34 »
When I was a kid, I inherited a large collection of my dad's old army men, from the 1950's. The detail was actually exquisite, worthy of painting up as minis (including "US" or "USMC" embroidered on pockets). Keep in mind these figures were perhaps only a head taller than the later sets that came out.

I also had a set that I could call all my own (late '70s early '80s) that featured Germans vs GIs, with great detail. Again paint worthy (I even did so as well!). Sadly all have been lost in time.

That's why I get disappointed at the current crop of army men that are on the market. I used to have, as well, the prototypes for these figures, with decently crisp details, etc. But what I think happens is that these figures get pantographed in multiple generations, so that the current figures on the market have a Gumby melted look, with blurred details. I know high quality figures are out there, but it is disappointing to see how far down the industry has gotten in cheapness.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2022, 13:11:43 »
When I was a kid, I inherited a large collection of my dad's old army men, from the 1950's. The detail was actually exquisite, worthy of painting up as minis (including "US" or "USMC" embroidered on pockets). Keep in mind these figures were perhaps only a head taller than the later sets that came out.

I also had a set that I could call all my own (late '70s early '80s) that featured Germans vs GIs, with great detail. Again paint worthy (I even did so as well!). Sadly all have been lost in time.

That's why I get disappointed at the current crop of army men that are on the market. I used to have, as well, the prototypes for these figures, with decently crisp details, etc. But what I think happens is that these figures get pantographed in multiple generations, so that the current figures on the market have a Gumby melted look, with blurred details. I know high quality figures are out there, but it is disappointing to see how far down the industry has gotten in cheapness.

Damon.
Agreed, it's a shame. Most were already okay-enough sculpts when I got mine, but looking at current gen bags on shelves really reveals the generation loss that's taken a toll on the designs through the years.
Really, it just feels like there aren't a lot of good kid's toys at a reasonable price point nowadays. Granted, there have always been more than a fair share of overpriced toys, but every once in a blue moon I'll peek a head into the kid's toy aisles as I pass by, and man it's awful. Everything under $25 or so is just made with absolutely zero care whatsoever and might last a week of serious play at most, and everything else is stuffed with useless electronic doodads that don't really do anything but attempt to justify an inflated price. Makes me sorry for the kids of today.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2022, 13:18:41 »
MARX made some of the best toys of the 60s and 70s .

They made a mountain with 2 big artillery pieces in it .
The Navorone playset . 
They had the BEST toy tanks from both sides of WW II .
Artillery ,landing craft ,half tracks, jeeps,trucks, you name it .

I have 3 of those mountains in storage that I'm waiting to get out once we move .
One is in perfect shape in the original box .

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2022, 15:01:56 »
I had HUNDREDS of Airfix army men when I was a kid, and they were GREAT. british, germans, aussies, Italians, and then they had some new ones: SAS, NATO, modern russians, etc.  My favorite box set was probably the WW2 Ghurkas. :-)

They were imported from England, so they were pricy, but worth it, so much better than the store bought junk (which was STILL better than the store bought junk they sell now a days!)

When my kids were young, I scooped up some good quality Boxer rebellion US Army troops and 1905 Russian/Japan War Imperial Japanese, and they fought many a battle against my kid's forces on our floors... :-)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2022, 16:26:03 »
Huh... and here I always thought it was only Marines involved there... I learn something new every day!  :)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 24 June 2022, 18:43:55 »
somewhere I have a plastic Aircraft carrier, that was same style as the trucks and tanks

Add in a few I think they were Matchbox Landing craft

and a few Helicopters

So had the Navy covered
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #7 on: 24 June 2022, 20:40:12 »
Huh... and here I always thought it was only Marines involved there... I learn something new every day!  :)

Tut, tut, old friend. This is an official Army portrait of my alma mater, 2-14 INF (back then, 2/14), taking the Forbidden City. The Calvin P. Titus Bowl--made from silver bullion given by the Chinese government and named for the bugler who first scaled the wall to secure a rope for following troopers--currently resides in the battalion headquarters. We weren't called "Golden Dragons" for nothing!

« Last Edit: 24 June 2022, 20:49:10 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 24 June 2022, 20:53:06 »
somewhere I have a plastic Aircraft carrier, that was same style as the trucks and tanks

Add in a few I think they were Matchbox Landing craft

and a few Helicopters

So had the Navy covered
Jellyyyyy! I always wanted the aircraft carrier sets as a kid!
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2022, 01:52:18 »
Nice pic F16!  :thumbsup:

Register