Author Topic: BB code buttons/Smiley Icons Not Working  (Read 5270 times)

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
BB code buttons/Smiley Icons Not Working
« on: 13 January 2017, 18:08:23 »
I'm noticing that the BB code buttons and the row of smiley icons aren't working when being clicked on. I'm using Microsoft Edge.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: BB code buttons/Smiley Icons Not Working
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2017, 19:50:03 »
I reported this problem last year in this thread.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2017, 20:07:52 »
Hrm. I've never noticed it before, but I haven't been posting allot lately. No problem. Thanks!

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2017, 13:08:57 »
I also posted this problem last year but no real answer was received. I cannot change font, size, attach spreadsheets or screen shots, etc.

On my last trip home on leave this month I took my Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10) to the Microsoft Store and they advised that the "language" used here at the forum may be "old". My same Surface Pro has full function at a history forum I visit with no issues regarding emoticons, attachments and so on.

Perhaps the Techs could check into this and perhaps make their target number die roll. With an MoS of 3 or more they might just fix the problem (I would insert a insert winking smiley here but,... ).

Cheers.
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

"...Remember also the two "prime directives" in playing BattleTech:
1. HAVE FUN
2. DON'T LET YOURSELF GET SO CAUGHT UP IN THE RULES THAT YOU STOP HAVING FUN"
Page 168 - Reunification War

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2017, 13:16:19 »
Oh, good, it's not just me.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2017, 16:30:24 »
 :) ;) :D :)) :( ::)

They seem to work just fine for me
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2017, 14:12:01 »
The periodically work and stop working for me. Right now they aren't. Often it coincides with one of the forum's 24+ hour downtimes. I've just been assuming they forgot to turn a flag back on somewhere before they brought the site back up.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2017, 20:58:14 »
I also posted this problem last year but no real answer was received. I cannot change font, size, attach spreadsheets or screen shots, etc.

Here are the workarounds until a solution is implemented:
1. Don't use Edge.
2. Styling can still be done by typing the tags out.  If you don't know how to do that, search on BBCode and there are a wide range of references online.
3. For attachments, either paste a URL or provide a link in a URL tag.  (This also means the forum server isn't having to host the attachments which is arguably not a bad thing.)

On my last trip home on leave this month I took my Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10) to the Microsoft Store and they advised that the "language" used here at the forum may be "old". My same Surface Pro has full function at a history forum I visit with no issues regarding emoticons, attachments and so on.

One line of JavaScript is misfiring, causing the eventing on the buttons to not get set up correctly because of the exception halting execution of the script.  IE11 and Chrome are operating differently from Edge (and each other for that matter), so whatever this is it's apparently specific to Edge's combination of following some IE conventions but not all of them.

Please note that I am unable to fix this.  I have some access to post on the main site but do not have admin access to the forum software.

The periodically work and stop working for me. Right now they aren't. Often it coincides with one of the forum's 24+ hour downtimes. I've just been assuming they forgot to turn a flag back on somewhere before they brought the site back up.

That's probably unrelated to the issue in Edge that's being discussed.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2017, 21:00:02 by Moonsword »

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #8 on: 03 June 2017, 21:08:37 »
2. Styling can still be done by typing the tags out.  If you don't know how to do that, search on BBCode and there are a wide range of references online.

Or look under the Help link at the top of the page.

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2017, 21:15:00 »
Here are the workarounds until a solution is implemented:
1. Don't use Edge.
3. For attachments, either paste a URL or provide a link in a URL tag.  (This also means the forum server isn't having to host the attachments which is arguably not a bad thing.)... <snip>

Thanks for tips. I've started typing out the text for bold and created a cheat sheet for the other BBCs. I had found what I was looking for by using the quote function and then copying the for for bold .

Thanks also to roosterboy for the link.
Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assault of thought upon the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

1. HAVE FUN

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2017, 21:29:39 »
Try Edge and the buttons now. Let me know if they work.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2017, 21:39:14 »
No joy on this end, sorry... I click, and there's no response.

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2017, 22:23:46 »
Not now? Try clearing your cache (this will require a new login).
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2017, 00:46:49 »
 :) ;) ^-^ }:)

Works fine, boss.  O0
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 24 June 2017, 07:24:45 »
Working like a champ now!  Thanks Knightmare!  O0 O:-) 8)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 24 June 2017, 08:53:22 »
Just in case this ever happens again, here's the codes for the all smiley buttons above the text box:

Code: [Select]
:) ;) ^-^ :D O0 ;D :)) >:( :( :o O:-) 8) ??? ::) :P [blank] :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D #P [drool] }:)
« Last Edit: 24 June 2017, 11:38:31 by Daryk »

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #16 on: 24 June 2017, 11:30:59 »
Ya welcome!  O0

Can't take all of the credit, or even most of it. SMF patched most of the core to provide the IE fix, I just needed to install and tweak a few files on our end to make sure it served properly.

Now onto the next problem...

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 24 June 2017, 16:14:44 »
No Joy.

Cleared the cache, cookies, passwords, browsing history,... the works. Still cannot bold, change font size, colour, etc. unless I type in the etc.

Perhaps it is because I am using a Surface Pro over here instead of a full PC

1. HAVE FUN

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: 24 June 2017, 17:47:19 »
Perhaps it is because I am using a Surface Pro over here instead of a full PC

A Surface Pro is a full PC. Are you getting it confused with the non-Pro version that ran Windows RT?
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

The Purist

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 26 July 2017, 17:03:06 »
Apologies for not replying to the last post offering help.

During the period when the forum was down this Surface Pro 3 I carry around with had developed a glitch where it simply would not stay connected to the web or even recognize the available networks it previously had no problems connecting to.

I took it to  the local "Microsoft store and the tech did his "Comstar" voodoo magic (pardon the frightful invocation of in-Universe humour, such as it is) and announced a full reinstall was needed. I booked an appointment for the next day to leave the tablet with them. The next day a new tech looked at the system, dug deep into the  binary lore, invoked a few incantations and declared the patient healed. No need for a full reinstall.

Not only that but all the buttons work and files can be attached (so far only tried spread sheets).

Maybe there is something to this pseudo-religion after all.

Thanks again to all the Adepts who tried to help   ;D

1. HAVE FUN

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #20 on: 26 July 2017, 20:06:31 »
This wasn't a problem unique to your tablet, it was a problem with how Edge was interpreting some JavaScript in the forum software.  I was able to reproduce it on a desktop PC on Edge, as I noted in my response before.  The forum was updated in late June a few minor releases (right before we migrated to a new server) so the problem was ironed somewhere in there.

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #21 on: 27 July 2017, 01:16:50 »
This wasn't a problem unique to your tablet, it was a problem with how Edge was interpreting some JavaScript in the forum software.
Can't say I'm too surprised.

In general trying to do a WYSIWYG edit box from inside a web page is ... problematic. I've never seen a system that handled it well across ALL browsers; with the ALLEGED break from legacy IE that is Edge it just introduces a new pain in the backside to an already painful situation.  Much like every other time a new flavor of the month browser engine comes along, its sending everyone who's JavaScript is filled with cross-browser fixes scrambling to make sure that the existing code even works, much less isn't silently throwing hordes of errors.

One of the reasons I chose SMF back in the day when I was the one making those decisions was it DIDN'T use the type of code that would break cross browser moving forward... but that was on version 1.x. Version 2 didn't deliver on nearly any of the promises, introduced code I knew was fragile and unreliable -- and now with the 2.1.x beta they're pissing their own bed by adding jQuery? DERP.

As it is, I'm on the hunt for a new forum software for my own projects BECAUSE of issues like this, and I'm quickly finding that most of the off the shelf answers -- PHPBB, myBB, vBulletin, Xenforo, etc, etc -- are either rotting on the vine from neglect, making things less reliable and usable by blindly mixing technologies, or simply screwing things up with mind-numbingly ignorant frameworks' like bootcrap or jquery. Kind of makes me glad I'm NOT stuck dealing with the mess that is version 2.0.x of SMF. PARTICULARLY since the latest upgrades makes all legacy skins incompatible -- while not TELLING you that. That was starting to be an issue when I left back six years ago... I can't imagine it's gotten a whole lot better. There were a LOT of problems I lacked the time or resources to fix, and wouldn't be surprised if they just sat there unaddressed this whole time.

The web is in a period of transition, it's a hard time for every site owner. I really think it's going to come down to a full "dotcom burst" style blowout to get things back on track. It's always been a house of cards... but lately it feels more like a game of Jenga that's gone on for WAY too long.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Register