Author Topic: Miniatures of the Fortnight #10: Stormcrow/Ryoken and Ryoken II  (Read 6318 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
This fortnight's 'Mech is none other than the Stormcrow (Ryoken), another of the common Operation REVIVAL 'Mechs originally featured in TRO 3050.  To learn more about it in game, check out its 'Mech of the Week article.  But we're here to talk about miniatures.

The Stormcrow (Ryoken)'s original art was a little problematic.  The art itself is fine but misleading: it implies the prime configuration has two SRM-6's which its configuration didn't have.  In the OmniMech lineup in the back of the original TRO 3050 (and I think in at least one of the novels), it's shown as having missiles.  My best guess is they changed the weapons in the Prime configuration sometime between commissioning the art and publishing the TRO.

There appear to have only been three releases:
  • The original sculpt released by Ral Partha in metal (20-611) and resin, which followed the art in TRO 3050, showing the fake SRM-6's in the upper torso mounts.  (Interestingly, all of the examples on CamoSpecs have all been modified to the B configuration and have the fake SRM-6 holes filled.)
  • The resculpt released by Iron Wind Metals (20-320), which includes parts to build it in either the Prime or the B configuration
  • A Battleforce-scale release of the B configuration (20-9127) (also available in the Battleforce Scale Clan Star Pack 2 (10-055))), which appears to be based on the resculpt.
Clan Ghost Bear decided we needed a sequel and created the Ryoken II.  (It has its own 'Mech of the Week article, if you're curious.)  It only has a single sculpt from Iron Wind Metals (20-464).  However, I believe it has its origin in MechWarrior: Dark Age so there may be additional versions there.

Please post any Stormcrows, Ryokens, or Ryoken IIs you would like to share.  You can post 'Mechs you've already painted or any you plan to paint during the fortnight.

Again, to those who post in this thread or have posted in prior threads, and to those who have read and/or commented, thank you!

Our next installment will feature the Marauder and the Marauder II.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Miniatures of the Fortnight #10: Stormcrow/Ryoken and Ryoken II
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2017, 02:51:08 »
First! (Living in the land of deadly critters is occasionally useful ...)

To the right, a resculpt Stormcrow B in Smoke Jaguar Psi Galaxy colours. To the left, the "fourth sculpt" - the very rare CityTech Stormcrow C, in Jade Falcon Delta colours.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Vaaish

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2017, 12:29:19 »
oooh I have one of the Ral Partha ones. I modified the arms and got the feet backwards. This one is Smoke Jag Delta. It's running the Prime config but I didn't fill the missile tubes up top.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2017, 14:22:32 »
I enjoy the original sculpt best. Beauty, Vaaish... 8)

B1Bflyer

• CamoSpecs
  • Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2017, 16:41:51 »
Hell's Horses Zeta Galaxy original sculpt modded to the B variant.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2017, 18:51:44 »
Resculplt Stormcrow fresh from the Tokasha MechWorks Gamma site(a clever way of saying I haven't painted it yet).

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2017, 00:48:57 »
First picture, original sculpt and a custom peice using leftover omni weapons.  Really sad that there wasn't a canon loadout with quad lasers and the twin 6-pack.  Second picture is the resculpt prime and B.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2017, 00:51:02 »
My take on the D loadout.  Only primed, still deciding on a color combination for it.

Ronin Actual

• Warrant Officer
  • Bad Day?
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2017, 19:32:31 »
Hey, I found my old sculpt painted in the Smoke Jaguar's Jaguar's Den colors.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2017, 22:43:54 »
Better late than never, right?  Instead of priming my Adder for this fortnight, I spent my hobby time tonight taking pictures.

This is a new sculpt Stormcrow B in Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy colors.

.Dreary

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2017, 18:54:17 »
Here is a pic of my two Stormcrows

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2017, 21:33:52 »
Hell's Horses Zeta Galaxy original sculpt modded to the B variant.

After doing a recent bit of research concerning the Stormcrow, it seems everybody AND his brother has done the B configuration. I'd say the B has been done more than ANY other configuration!  :)) :)) :))

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2017, 20:58:55 »
I'm suprised no-one called me on the "CityTech" StormCrow ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2017, 04:35:09 »

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 22 October 2021, 00:51:04 »
Rebuilds from the Tukayyid Salvage baggies.  A Diamond Shark Stormcrow B and a Snow Raven Stormcrow TC.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2021, 02:20:40 »
Clan Wolf Beta Galaxy Stormcrow C

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Register